Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A STATE  (Read 30318 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:IN A STATE
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2005, 09:45:09 AM »

BB6

I hope the America's Choice is more along the lines of what has been speculated about, including a mention at Canoe_Jam! -- to wit, that it has something to do with the final eviction.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2005, 09:45:57 AM »

BB6:

I have ZERO interest in phone calls and luxuries for the houseguests.  

PLEASE!

I want to be "involved" in being mean to some and good to others!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2005, 09:56:52 AM »

Yes DR RLP you are correct.  JRAND54 will soon be just a ghost!  A memory.  A name to search for on HHW!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2005, 09:58:53 AM »

I need one of those haircuts that make me look thinner like my Birthday Twin got yesterday.

I LOVE it when the notes have coming attractions!  I feel like I am at the HHW Movie Theatre - hopefully no SOLD OUT sign like DRGEORGE encountered yesterday.

And I found the title of my new novel in the notes:

WHEN A COW ENTERS THE SCENE - FAST FORWARD FOR TWO MINUTES!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2005, 09:59:38 AM »

How could I forget "Anyone Who Had A Heart"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2005, 10:00:14 AM »

TOD:

Bacharach & David:

Do You Know the Way to San Jose?
I'll Never Fall In Love Again
I Say a Little Prayer
Turkey Lurkey Time
Promises, Promises

Goffin & King:
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
Some Time in the Morning

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2005, 10:02:13 AM »

Okay, so get this.  Ya climb up this eight foot tall ladder, ya stand on this 2 foot by 2 foot platform.  Ya step up on this 12" square box.  Ya grab the swaying fly bar.  Ya step over the flat - and go down the ten foot ladder on the other side.  

And could you do it a little faster please, Mrs. Ricardo?

The director may make real angels out of us before rehearsal is over!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2005, 10:12:19 AM »

Of course, I love Up on the Roof and Go Away, Little Girl LOTS.

My absolute favorite recording of "Go Away, Little Girl" is actually a version sung by Janis Siegel on her "I Wish You Love" CD and she sang (of course) "Go Away, Little Boy."  It's a very slow jazzy ballad and just wonderful.  And her recording of "Mr. Sandman" (not a Goffin/King song) is VERY different and quite beautiful...yes beautiful (in my humble opinion...IMHO in Internet lingo). ;) Listen to the 60 second clips!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2005, 10:16:42 AM »

I wonder what time we can expect Francisco di Parigi to join us today?

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2005, 10:22:51 AM »

DR RonP, I don't think they will let America decide anything to do with nominations or evictions.  But I agree, i don't want to vote on some crappy thing.

Anyhow is it just a text vote? or can you vote on the internet too?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2005, 10:25:43 AM »

RLP, I, too, love Everybody's Out Of Town

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2005, 10:25:54 AM »

DR RonP, I don't think they will let America decide anything to do with nominations or evictions.  But I agree, i don't want to vote on some crappy thing.

Anyhow is it just a text vote? or can you vote on the internet too?

Don't have a clue.  Will only know when Julie tells us something, I suppose.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2005, 10:26:45 AM »

RLP, I, too, love Everybody's Out Of Town

It can haunt me for days after listening to it....

:D

FJL

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2005, 10:31:49 AM »

DR JRAND - I'd like to get one of those Jose haircuts, too.  According to a lady I trust in my office, my haircuts make me look even heavier*, although she insists I look younger after a haircut, so that's  a trade-off.

(*originally used tumescent, the word of the day here, but now realize that I misused the word so I edited the post, but I did try to use the word of the day)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:33:39 PM by FJL »

Jason

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »

I'm well beyond ready to go home. I had two calls in a row that I have put me over the edge.

The first came from a woman in California who yelled at me because we shipped her materials for LES MISERABLES SCHOOL EDITION to the right address. Problem is, she moved and forgot to tell us, and for that she was yelling AT ME. Of course, it was my fault that I didn't have the foresight to call her before we shipped her books to her just to make sure she hadn't MOVED!

That phone call was followed by a fellow who has a 16-year old mentally challenged boy who likes to do "toy theatre" and wants to book this kid to go from home to home (living room to living room) performing full-length musicals (i.e. PIPPIN in particular - I'd love to see the orgy scene) for a flat fee of $150-$200. I explained to him that that would be fine, but he would have to license the show just like any other community theatre group who plans to present a show from our catalog in front of an audience and that he would, like any other group, be expected to pay rental, royalty and security deposits on any shows he expected to perform. He didn't like what I had to say and told me that I was not working with him in the spirit of promoting musical theatre (as he claimed our website proffered) and he wanted - no, demanded - to speak to the owner of our company. I offered to let him speak to my supervisor, but he said that the head of amateur licensing wasn't important enough and he wanted our CEO's name and number. Never having been in this situation before, I started to give him the name of our CEO's Admin Assistant, but everyone gasped in horror as I did and told me to have the letter sent to the VP of the company instead, so I gave him the VP's name.

After the guy hung up, my boss sent out an email featuring the subject line, "Irate Customers (Jason's Call)" to everyone in our department including his supervisor - my boss. He did not make any explanation as to the situation or WHY the customer was irate, but he did mention my name four times in the body of that email and how we should NEVER bother the CEO with the minutae of our day-to-day work. So now my boss is going to get an email that basically implies that I am the reason that man was irate. I, as usual, was in the wrong.

And this is why I hate my job at MTI. That, and the fact that lip-smacking girl is grazing on raw carrot sticks just 5 feet away from me.

I need to get out of here...

Jason

« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2005, 10:46:05 AM »

Oh! And did I mention that yesterday I had a customer who claimed that the head of our education division told her that she could do one of our shows for free. Now, I didn't know anything about any offer for a free show, so I sent an email to the head of education's admin assistant to see if the thing was legit. The head of the ed department emailed me back saying it was kosher and to proceed with the offer and he cc'd my supervisor (the one who wrote the crap email today).

I got back from lunch yesterday and there was an email from said supervisor telling me that I shouldn't have gone over his head with that question. That by bypassing him, I made him look "ineffectual" and that directly affected his annual review, and in turn his annual raise (or lack thereof). He admitted that he would have asked the exact same question that I had asked, but said that I should NEVER ask ANYONE a question unless I asked him.

I responded that I did not intend to make him seem ineffectual - that I had simply tried to cut out the middle man for what seemed like an incredibly simple question, but that if he wished to be bothered with piddly shit everyday, I'd be happy to bother him to his heart's content.

Pardon my French.

Matthew

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2005, 10:48:30 AM »

DR Jason, offer the girl some ranch dressing.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2005, 10:53:03 AM »

Sorry you're having a bad day DR Jason.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2005, 10:56:20 AM »

Jason, you need to get out of there! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2005, 10:56:53 AM »

Okay, so get this.  Ya climb up this eight foot tall ladder, ya stand on this 2 foot by 2 foot platform.  Ya step up on this 12" square box.  Ya grab the swaying fly bar.  Ya step over the flat - and go down the ten foot ladder on the other side.  

And could you do it a little faster please, Mrs. Ricardo?

The director may make real angels out of us before rehearsal is over!

:o

Don't he know you are a card carrying AARP member?!!

Be wewwy cawfwul

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2005, 10:58:52 AM »

The first came from a woman in California who yelled at me because we shipped her materials for LES MISERABLES SCHOOL EDITION to the right address. Problem is, she moved and forgot to tell us, and for that she was yelling AT ME. Of course, it was my fault that I didn't have the foresight to call her before we shipped her books to her just to make sure she hadn't MOVED!

Well obviously you're extremely incompetent... weren't you using the FORCE ?

:-*

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2005, 11:08:47 AM »

I LOVE THIS CD!!! I play it all the time. She worked with Fred Barton of Miss Gulch Returns fame to put it together. MGR is also a very, very funny CD.

Miss Gulch is a wonderful piece. I had the pleasure of seeing an anniversary production with Fred reprising his brilliant performance relatively recently. As for Fred and Elena, the two are absolutely brilliant together. I used to catch them frequently at my beloved Eighty-Eights, of blessed memory, and "Wrinkle in Swingtime" is one of the best albums of any cabaret/piano bar performer out there.

Speaking of cabaret performers and Bacharach, I would be remiss if I didn't plug Combo Fiasco, an Australian trio, who perform a very wonderfully cheesy Bacharach medley.

Thanks for the welcome back, Vixmom! I don't know if I'll have the time to post more frequently here, but we'll see.

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2005, 11:09:12 AM »

I got back from lunch yesterday and there was an email from said supervisor telling me that I shouldn't have gone over his head with that question. That by bypassing him, I made him look "ineffectual" and that directly affected his annual review, and in turn his annual raise (or lack thereof). He admitted that he would have asked the exact same question that I had asked, but said that I should NEVER ask ANYONE a question unless I asked him.
I
He put that in an email?  ::)

Matthew

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2005, 11:09:39 AM »

People in public education most of the time seem to be uptight about things, as they are underpaid, don't have a decent budget to work with, and all their "rights" as a teacher seem to have been stripped away by socieity.  I'm not defending their behavior, but that's the reason, usually, that they can get that way.  A lot of times, they are asigned things like "the school play" and don't have a clue as to how to go about doing it the right way - as in getting the license, etc.  It is a tedious process when applying for a license for a show, and MTI is the easist to work with while undergoing the process.  People aren't prepared for that process.  Anyhow, my point is.... DR Jason, I'm sorry you have to deal with those type of people in education, and I know you would go out of your way to get the answer people need, it seems the people higher up from you have their own agenda, which isn't fair to you or your collegues.

And now, Mr Demille, I'm ready for my close-up.

vixmom

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2005, 11:10:44 AM »

Thanks for the welcome back, Vixmom! I don't know if I'll have the time to post more frequently here, but we'll see.
Well do try to squeeze us in from time to time :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2005, 11:13:12 AM »

Jason, it sounds like all your fellow employees, bosses, and customers need a round of haineshisway.com bitch-slapping.  I hereby tender one mighty bitch-slap from here to eternity and hell and back.  Please pass it along.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23:55 AM »

Well do try to squeeze us in from time to time :D

That sounds positively naughty, DR Vixmom!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2005, 11:25:50 AM »

Don't have a clue.  Will only know when Julie tells us something, I suppose.

Household, shmousehold.  Veto, shmeto.  Choice, shmoice.

The game WE like to play in our house on Thursday nights at about 7:58 is:

"Will Julie be wearing sparkles tonight or not??"

Jason

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2005, 11:26:06 AM »

People in public education most of the time seem to be uptight about things, as they are underpaid, don't have a decent budget to work with, and all their "rights" as a teacher seem to have been stripped away by socieity.  I'm not defending their behavior, but that's the reason, usually, that they can get that way.  A lot of times, they are asigned things like "the school play" and don't have a clue as to how to go about doing it the right way - as in getting the license, etc.  It is a tedious process when applying for a license for a show, and MTI is the easist to work with while undergoing the process.  People aren't prepared for that process.  Anyhow, my point is.... DR Jason, I'm sorry you have to deal with those type of people in education, and I know you would go out of your way to get the answer people need, it seems the people higher up from you have their own agenda, which isn't fair to you or your collegues.

And now, Mr Demille, I'm ready for my close-up.

DR Matthew: I appreciate the sentiment - really, I do - but this has nothing to do with someone being stuck with a show and not knowing how to go about doing it. I deal with those people everyday and manage to help them out. This has to do with a stupid woman yelling at me because she  had materials sent to a house that she no longer lived in. This has to do with a man who, after having the entire royalty situation explained to him TWICE, could not understand why Mr. Schwartz and the other authors of PIPPIN need to receive a royalty if he's "only" charging $200 to have some kid play with toys in someone's living room and then throws a fit, yells at me and demands to speak to my boss. This is about a boss who, in an attempt to look "effectual," sent a shitty email to his higher-up and my colleagues about a customer who demanded to speak to the head of the company but conveniently left out all of the information regarding the situation that led up to his ridiculous outburst, leading my big boss to believe that I did something to cause this man's outburst, which in turn makes ME look "ineffectual."

I've said it before and I'll say it til the day I die - this job is killing my soul and I need to leave it.

I thank you for listening to my rants today. I promise, I will try to keep them to myself for the rest of the afternoon. And thank you, everyone for your good vibes and bitch-slaps...I appreciate them.

vixmom

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2005, 11:49:33 AM »

BK  do you know anything about this?

LOS ANGELES - The mysterious disappearance of Grammy-nominated music producer Chris Julian has all the elements of one of the Hollywood thrillers that he scored: a frantic, pre-dawn phone call; an Internet scam; and police searches in Topanga Canyon.

According to Southern California media accounts, Julian, 48, whose real name is Christian Julian Irwin, vanished Sunday after calling a friend via cell phone to say he was being chased down a ravine near his home by pursuers who were out to kill him. The call was made at 3:45 a.m. and no one has heard from Irwin since. One of the few clues that police have is a pair of the missing man’s glasses, “found halfway down the hill behind his house, where it is believed that they fell as he ran,” the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday.

Friends and relatives say the most bizarre element in the case is Irwin's recent involvement in a “Nigerian” Internet scam. The swindle involves e-mailed appeals for advance money to help move large sums out of Nigeria. Victims are told they’ll get a big chunk of the fortune in exchange for their help.

Los Angeles County Deputy Luis Castro, a sheriff’s spokesman, declined to comment on the Internet scam angle.

But Irwin’s friend and former business partner Fortunato Procopio, 47, told the Times that Irwin said had been drawn into some kind of Internet fraud and threatened by the con artists.

According to the Times, Procopio "told him it was clearly a scam — don't be silly." But other friends and relatives told the newspaper that Irwin later received a mysterious $50,000 check and became increasingly concerned.

A troubling phone call
The Times story says: “On Sunday morning, Procopio said, he was awakened in his Venice home by a phone call that was picked up by his answering machine. When he played the recording, he heard Irwin asking for help. Irwin said he was in hiding and someone was in close pursuit.

Procopio tried calling Irwin but couldn't reach him, the paper said. Then, he and his girlfriend began driving to Irwin's Topanga home. On the way, Procopio got another call from Irwin, saying that “he had been chased from his house down a ravine in back by people and possibly dogs. He told Procopio he was barefoot, having lost his shoes, and feared for his life.”

Described as 6 feet 2, 190 pounds with graying brown hair and blue eyes, Irwin was believed to have been wearing a red and blue shirt and blue jeans when he disappeared.

According to Irwin's brother-in-law, John Riolo of Carlsbad, sheriff's dogs tracked the missing man's scent from his home to a business on Topanga Canyon Boulevard. The dogs then tracked the scent into another small canyon and lost the trail, Riolo told the Times.

According to his Web site, Irwin is “an independent record producer and engineer whose work has brought three Grammy Nominations, over 50 Gold and Platinum albums and an Emmy Award.” He has worked with David Bowie, Jimmy Webb, Vanessa Williams, David Crosby, Chaka Khan, Don Was, Art Garfunkel, Carly Simon, Queen Latifa, Isaac Hayes and Lisa Stansfield.

Film credits
His film credits include "The Big Red One," "The Kid and I," "Benji 2," "Silent Partner," "Crash Landing" and "Moscow Heat."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up