Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FRUITFUL DAY SANS FRUIT  (Read 25745 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FRUITFUL DAY SANS FRUIT
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2005, 02:04:31 PM »

In the above photo, if you look just to the left and below Nick's ear you will see the back of Tommy Sands' head.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2005, 02:06:17 PM »

We had a lovelier than lovely lunch at the restaurant in the Garland hotel.  Much dirt was dished and we laughed and laughed until we thought we could laugh no more, and then we laughed again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2005, 02:06:58 PM »

I did pick up DVDs of Kiss Me, Kate with our very own Brent Barrett, and Mr. Bert I. Gordon's The Magic Sword.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2005, 02:08:18 PM »

Back from The Mickey Sinardi' Star Show Spectacular (I don't think it's alliterative enough, Mickey, you should consider changing your name to Sammy) and was it ever a dud.  But BK, Nick, and I had a good time anyway, making fun of everything and everyone... including the three really tacky and bad transvestites sitting behind us at lunch.  Blatantly obvious and they had all chosen more or less the same blonde helmet-hair wig.

While Nick was chatting away to someone, I engaged Johnathan Winters as a fellow Ohioan (Winters was in his Reds baseball cap and still carries his lucky buckeye in his pocket) and he did a rude, raucous, and really raunchy improv for us of a hick Kentuckian coming to the big city of Cincinnati for a visit.

Needless to say, we laughed and laughed until we thought we could laugh no more...and then we laughed some more...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 02:11:35 PM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2005, 02:08:32 PM »

Oh, and the new special edition of The Jerk, a film I don't even care about it.  I had to buy it because I could not believe the gall of Universal Home Video STEALING the packaging joke from The First Nudie Musical DVD (released THREE YEARS AGO) - saying it's a 26th Anniversary Edition.  Can't these stupid cretins think of their own jokes?  Pathetic.  Flattering, but pathetic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2005, 02:11:29 PM »

And I missed by moments an early copy of the new Special Edition of Mr. Pogue's The Fly - he appears in the supplements.  I gave the woman at the DVD place a very hard time about this and she promised the next copy in would be mine all mine.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2005, 02:12:08 PM »

While Nick was chatting away to someone, I engaged Johnathan Winters as a fellow Ohioan (Winters was in his Reds baseball cap and still carries his lucky buckeye in his pocket) and he did a rude, raucous, and really raunchy improv for us of a hick Kentuckian coming to the big city of Cincinnati for a visit.

Now, that's something I'd like to have seen!  Jonathan Winters is a long-time favorite of mine.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2005, 02:13:03 PM »

Thus far, we have only had one trivia guess (a correct one) so I guess I have outwitted and outsmarted all you oh-so-smart trivia contest players.  And if THAT'S not throwing down the gauntlet, I don't know what is.  And isn't throwing down the gauntlet better than throwing UP the gauntlet?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2005, 02:31:43 PM »

I enjoyed that KISS ME KATE except when the director cuts from Michael Barresse's sensational "Bianca" at one of the most acrobatic moments of the choreography in order to get a reaction shot of the (uninteresting) actress playing Lois. Ruined the entire number for me.

Thankfully, I had seen the show in NYC, so at least I had the HUGE thrill of that number live to savor in my memory forever.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2005, 02:32:25 PM »

Have to jump off-line here since a friend is dropping by after work for a drink. Will be back later.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2005, 02:32:58 PM »

I guess I cleared the place out in record time!  :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2005, 02:55:28 PM »

Breakfast time Sunday here in the merry land of OZ. So little to read!! I suallyy try and catch up on the posts pre Breakfast.

Today has a hint of Spring in the air.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2005, 02:59:03 PM »

What to post?

Favourite Tommy Sands songs:

A Young Man's Fancy
I'll Be Seeing You
Bigger Than Texas
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2005, 03:00:02 PM »

Mr Sands still undertakes tours here in OZ.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2005, 03:01:32 PM »

Mr Pitney is also a frequent and popular visitor to Melbourne.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2005, 03:03:43 PM »

Of course we still have tours but "The Platters"and  "The Drifters" but who really cares. I've never understood why people would go and see a group touring on a "Name" only.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2005, 03:05:42 PM »

I shall now leave the posing to the Father and Son of the NW as I break my fast.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2005, 03:07:31 PM »

Thanks to BK and his nifty Electronic Hat, I am now the ever so happy owner of the new Guy Haines CD!  I look forward to listening to it shortly.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »

I actually enjoy The Jerk, regardless of what anniversary it may be.

"I was born a poor black child..."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2005, 03:13:46 PM »

Thanks to BK and his nifty Electronic Hat, I am now the ever so happy owner of the new Guy Haines CD!  I look forward to listening to it shortly.

Believe me, my son, once you start listening to the new Guy Haines CD, you will not want to listen to it shortly.  Instead you will want to listen to longly, so that you can savor every phrase, every note, and every word.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 03:14:16 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2005, 03:17:29 PM »

Mr Pitney is also a frequent and popular visitor to Melbourne.

I am sure that I will be able to live out my life without ever seeing Tommy Sands in concert.  However, I would love to sit and listen to Mr. Pitney in concert sing each and every one of his wonderful hit songs.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2005, 03:18:36 PM »

Has Mr. Oz already finished his breakfast?
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2005, 03:33:56 PM »

Well I have finished my toast and tea now DR TCBand55Spiano.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »

Thus far, we have only had one trivia guess (a correct one) so I guess I have outwitted and outsmarted all you oh-so-smart trivia contest players.  And if THAT'S not throwing down the gauntlet, I don't know what is.  And isn't throwing down the gauntlet better than throwing UP the gauntlet?

Outwitted and outsmarted?  I think not!  The trivia gods are smiling on me lately, as I again stumbled across the correct path immediately, putting all the pieces together in rather short order.  Keep 'em coming like this, Bruce!

Cillaliz

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2005, 03:35:47 PM »

Hello all, I've been in something of a funk today.  I let myself be talked into going to a Tommy Bolin memorial concert last night. I didn't listen to him in the 70s when he was alive, so I'm not sure why I thought I would want to listen to tributes to him now, but I went.

It started with blues, which I do enjoy but then shifted to a heavy metal band. AHHHHHH!!! I have never liked heavy metal and I know I don't now. All that screaming!  I guess they were singing a song called "Bang Your Head" and I kept thinking they were singing "Burn Your Hair"  Now I could not figure out why on earth they would be telling people to burn their hair.

We took a break and went to a bar that was playing really loud techno. Not a lot of relief for the ears and the head. I ended up drinking more heavily than usual and heading home earlier than the rest of the people I went with.

Yikes!  That's the last time I get talked into that. I've been recovering all day today.  Time to go find some food and have a quiet evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2005, 03:42:06 PM »

I'm quite logey from lunch.  I'm also quite lunch from logey.

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2005, 03:48:25 PM »

I'm off to find some dinner. Haven't eaten since breakfast...I think it's time. As Jose would say....laters....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2005, 04:02:06 PM »

TOD

The thing with so many of the controversial films I have seen over the years, is that no matter how wonderfully acted they may have been, or how well done the films themselves may be; I generally have no desire to sit through the experience more than once.

Two films that come to mind are THE KILLING OF SISTER GEORGE and MIDNIGHT COWBOY.  Both are beautifully made films, but I would rather have a root canal than sit though either one of them a second time.
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2005, 04:15:03 PM »

I have a complaint, something that DR Rodzinsky might be able to forward.

The Playbill OnLine Week in Review column deals with Mr. August Wilson's health problems.  What I find complainable is the following, the final paragraph in the piece:

He also proved that there was still room in our theatre for that antiquated figure of decades past: the serious writer. Wilson kept himself above and apart from the more commercial, vulgar aspects of the profession. He concentrated on the writing, not the business. He did not court the press. He ate at the Edison Cafe, not Joe Allen's. He wrote for the theatre, but seemingly was not of it. (He, in fact, lived as far away from the heart of it—New York—as he could: Seattle.) His eye was on the canon, not the season. He offered authenticity, and demanded respect. He got it.

Why, oh why has this been written in the past tense?  Mr. Wilson has not yet died.  To write "He lived as far away..." leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  Bleh.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2005, 04:20:50 PM »

BK and Charles Pogue: Did you see Mr. John Saxon at the Beverly Garland????
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up