Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHISTLE WHILE YOU WORK  (Read 3543 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: WHISTLE WHILE YOU WORK
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2024, 05:11:27 AM »

And, BK, you want the subjunctive in your wish that your McDonald’s were better. Because it isn’t. You just wish it were.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2024, 05:11:36 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2024, 05:11:45 AM »

I enjoyed it, and I think I had three or four huge guffaws, which is never bad. The blu-ray looks great, and it even includes the Entr'Acte and Exit Music, which are not only fun but beautifully orchestrated by Irwin Kostal. At times I felt the movie, like Thoroughly Modern Millie, could use some trimming, but I loved the cast, especially the wonderful Lionel Jeffries, Robert Helpman, Benny Hill, Gert Fröbe, and Anna Quayle. I don't think I'd ever seen Sally Ann Howes in any other movie besides Dead of Night. As soon as she started to sing, I thought, OMG! was this film intended to pair Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2024, 05:12:01 AM »

Opening night vibes for JRand and company!
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2024, 05:13:35 AM »

Opening night vibes for JRand and company!

Ditto!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2024, 05:13:39 AM »

I enjoyed it, and I think I had three or four huge guffaws, which is never bad. The blu-ray looks great, and it even includes the Entr'Acte and Exit Music, which are not only fun but beautifully orchestrated by Irwin Kostal. At times I felt the movie, like Thoroughly Modern Millie, could use some trimming, but I loved the cast, especially the wonderful Lionel Jeffries, Robert Helpman, Benny Hill, Gert Fröbe, and Anna Quayle. I don't think I'd ever seen Sally Ann Howes in any other movie besides Dead of Night. As soon as she started to sing, I thought, OMG! was this film intended to pair Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews?

You make me want to watch it again. Though probably not on a double bill with Peeping Tom.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2024, 05:14:59 AM »

I see the new neck doctor today. I had thought my appointment was at 9 am. It’s at 3:30 pm.
― Voltaire

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2024, 05:23:40 AM »

So, not only Kerry O'Malley and Robert Yacko, you got Brent Barrett (The World's Sexiest Man Alive) AND Linda Hart??  That's pretty darned cool!

Yes, what a great line-up!
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Something like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

Freddie

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2024, 05:24:54 AM »

Well it is opening night.

I also have to work in the box office tonight - but hopefully I will be able to leave for a few minutes to be in the circle at 7:20 p.m.

I was looking forward to the next couple of days off, but the director asked me last night:  "You're going to be here every night, right?"

It seems he wanted me to check makeup & wigs and make sure everyone looks okay....so I said...."Uh.....yes if you want me to be."

Break a leg on opening night to Jrand and "Oklahoma!"
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Something like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2024, 05:27:53 AM »

Re Chitty:

Well, damn it, now I have to take out my copy and watch it. Believe it or not, I never went to it back in the day, and I only saw it for my own first time when I got the Blu-ray. I had very much the same impressions as DR Elmore, right down to that thought about Sally Ann Howes. Isn't she amazing? Like, where had she been all my life?

Okay, it's added to the NEW! IMPROVED! watch pile, right along with the Godzillas.

Freddie

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2024, 05:29:02 AM »

Applesauce cake.

Did I ever tell the story of my friend who told the tale of having been working at the box-office at (IIRC) North Shore, during ticket sales for APPLAUSE,

And there may have been a typo in the advertising somewhere, because they got a number of phone calls asking for "two tickets to see Dorothy Collins in APPLESAUCE."

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2024, 05:29:15 AM »

~~~GETTING-TO-THE-ROOT-OF-THE-PROBLEM VIBES~~~ for DR John G.!!!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2024, 05:30:29 AM »

Did Dorothy Collins follow that up with starring in ASPICS OF LOVE?
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Freddie

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2024, 05:31:18 AM »

Applesauce cake.

Did I ever tell the story of my friend who told the tale of having been working at the box-office at (IIRC) North Shore, during ticket sales for APPLAUSE,

And there may have been a typo in the advertising somewhere, because they got a number of phone calls asking for "two tickets to see Dorothy Collins in APPLESAUCE."

I may have told it before, but even so, it created two extra posts on the way to page 8.

Freddie

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2024, 05:32:41 AM »

Did Dorothy Collins follow that up with starring in ASPICS OF LOVE?

:)

As long as we say it's apocryphal, we can certainly say she did!

Freddie

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2024, 05:34:54 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  This is the big birthday celebration weekend for our granddaughters, so I might be even scarcer than usual.

Hugs for all!

Birthday celebration wishes to Ginny and family!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2024, 05:37:35 AM »

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was released when I was 5 years old, and I was enthralled.

Enthralled, I tell you.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2024, 05:38:07 AM »

I wore out the gatefold LP.

Freddie

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2024, 05:39:18 AM »

I believe it was generally known that Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke were talked about to do a movie of SHE LOVES ME together.

But that just didn't happen for some reason.

Here again is Julie Andrews singing "Dear Friend," though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DanyQEhQ9RQ

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2024, 05:50:58 AM »

I was searching online for a Sherman brothers song and couldn't find it.

Finally figured out that it was The Gnome-Mobile. I had been searching on Oldsmobile.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2024, 05:54:58 AM »

LUCKY #50

John G.

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2024, 06:14:02 AM »

Sally Ann Howes was a delightful Desiree in the NYCO Little Night Music, which is n YouTube I think
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2024, 06:15:27 AM »

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2024, 06:29:19 AM »

Must get a move on.
― Voltaire

Freddie

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2024, 06:36:10 AM »

Neck-get-better vibes for John G!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2024, 06:37:34 AM »

Happy Thursday!

Decent night's sleep!  A beautiful day looms!

Lunch today will be from "Don't Be A Square, Eat at 'The Triangle'." It's cubed steak day, and they make it extremely well.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2024, 06:38:25 AM »

I believe it was generally known that Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke were talked about to do a movie of SHE LOVES ME together.

But that just didn't happen for some reason.

Here again is Julie Andrews singing "Dear Friend," though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DanyQEhQ9RQ

As wonderful as the show was with Barbara Cook, Julie's version is quite stunning!

I do wish the orchestration of this version was a bit more intimate...less lush orchestra but with strings.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2024, 06:46:25 AM »

I had the most extraordinary experience seeing Barbara Cook in her "Mostly Sondheim" concert in San Francisco's Curran Theater in 2012.

An extraordinary performance.  She sang for 90- minutes, no intermission.  Her accompanist was Wally Harper and two other men on stringed instruments.

It was magic, and it was made even moreso when she would talk about the songs she would sing before she sang them.

The "Mostly" part was predicated upon the fact that several non-Sondheim songs were included.  The best of the lot, for me, was when she sang "Ice Cream".  She prefaced the performance with the admission that she should not, at age 85, be able to hit all the notes.  She  then hit all the notes, and it was glorious.

John G.

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2024, 06:59:00 AM »

Nice memories, Ron.
― Voltaire

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2024, 07:04:17 AM »

I wore out the gatefold LP.

We had the cheap RCA-Camden knockoff by the Richard Wolfe Children’s Chorus. And it’s great!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up