Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO SEPTEMBER  (Read 40839 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO SEPTEMBER
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 07:51:31 AM »

I forgot the Muppet Show!!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2005, 07:52:10 AM »

Dance I must
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 07:58:48 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2005, 07:52:26 AM »

Favorite variety shows:

The Ed Sullivan Show
Hollywood Palace
The Garry Moore Show
The Carol Burnett Show
The Red Skelton Hour
Kraft Music Hall
The Judy Garland Show (sadly for just a season)
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2005, 07:52:51 AM »

I loved seeing everyone's pictures yesterday!  I started looking through my photo albums to find one to post and had quite a nostalgic little journey.  Will post one when I get home from work tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2005, 07:53:46 AM »

Yes, I forgot THE MUPPET SHOW, too. When I went back home to live with the folks after college while I was teaching and working on my master's degree, this was the only show we'd all watch together. Well, that and 60 MINUTES.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2005, 07:53:53 AM »

Jose, tell me more about this chicken with 40 cloves of garlic...

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2005, 07:54:43 AM »

DR TCB, you're welcome. It was a pleasure working on that picture for you. As I said last night, I really liked it a lot.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2005, 07:55:09 AM »

On the TOD, the only variety show that I really watched during that time was the Muppet Show.  My sister and I would argue over who got to be Miss Piggy.

A few years ago I caught a few episodes of Pink Lady and Jeff- it was delightfully odd and interesting.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2005, 07:55:16 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  GLORIOUS SEPTEMBER VIBES FOR ONE AND ALL AND ALL AND ONE  ! ! ! ! ! [/move]

September has always been my favorite month.  There is always such a sense of promise and renewal in the air.  I'm sure this feeling primarily has to do with when the new school year started, with new classes, teachers, books and school supplies and all.  But there was also the new fall TV season, the crisp, cool, refreshing weather, the start of the football season and the beginning of the anticipation for the coming holidays.  Whatever it was, it's still with me and I still love it.

Well, you're in a jocular mood! (Obviously not watching the news today)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2005, 07:56:38 AM »

Today I will be finishing up LITTLE MISS BROADWAY.

I think I'd like to take X-MEN off the shelf and re-watch it. I re-watched X-2 a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't watched the original since I first got it several years ago.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2005, 08:00:34 AM »

I saw SCARECROW in the theater. I remember there weren't many people there, but the thing I remember the most about the movie were the sequences with Richard Lynch as the gay convict who makes a play for Pacino.

Back then, there were so few gay characters in films, and when they popped out at you out of nowhere, a gay guy liked me was always startled. I would have liked it if he had been less sadistic, but back then, the only gay characters we got regularly were psychos and ne'er-do-wells.

I also remember the very bittersweet ending.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2005, 08:03:47 AM »

OK, BIG BROTHER 6 fans: who's up for eviction tonight? Sorry, but I'm out of the loop on the show.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2005, 08:12:18 AM »

Jose, tell me more about this chicken with 40 cloves of garlic...

I'm sure he can tell you quite a bit!

Epicurious posts:

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

This is easy and finger lickin' good and after the meal, pour the carcass (*see note), juices, remaining garlic, and leftovers back in the pot, add remaining chicken broth and a sprig of parsley, bring to a boil, then simmer about 3 hours. Now you have a delicious soup for tomorrow's lunch or dinner.

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
1 chicken about 4 pounds
4 T olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
40 cloves of garlic - two whole heads, separated but unpeeled
3 sprigs of parsley
10 whole black peppercorns
1 cup fat-free chicken broth, save rest of can for soup
1 cup dry white wine (reserved)
Combine a crushed mixture of thyme, rosemary and sage to cover the outside of the chicken and sprinkle a little on the inside.  Be generous.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Clean chicken, inside and out, and remove all fat, dry, and rub with the olive oil.  Season inside and out with salt, pepper and most of the seasonings.

Place in a Dutch oven just large enough to hold the chicken and fitted with a lid.  Scatter the remaining seasonings, garlic, parsley and peppercorns around the bird.  Pour the broth in the bottom of the pan. Cover and bake for approximately 1 hour, then remove the cover and continue to bake until chicken is nice and brown, about another 25 minutes or less. It will be very well done.

Remove the chicken from the pan and place it on a serving platter with the garlic spread all around.

Put the pan with the drippings on the stovetop over high heat.  Add the wine and scrape up any browned bits, (I add a few of the soft garlic cloves and they just dissolve in the sauce) stirring constantly to reduce the sauce until it is thick and very syrupy - about 1 cup or less.

Carve the meat and serve with a spoonful of sauce and a few garlic cloves.  The garlic will slip easily out of the skins and add a incredible flavor to the chicken.

*Note:  After dinner, remove all the meat from the carcass and pour the carcass, juices, and leftovers in a soup pot and proceed as above.  I add only a fresh sprig of parsley and the remainder of the can of chicken broth - nothing else is necessary.  I remove all the chicken from the carcass and reserve it to add back into the soup the next day so it doesn't have that poached taste and is not toughened by the long cooking.  This way, it is so tender and just melts in your mouth.

When soup is finished, remove all the bones and chill. It will be very gelatinous.

Adapted from Suzanne Somers' Eat Great, Lose Weight
Recipe says it serves 4, but 2 of us always finish it with a little chicken left for the soup.

The attribution to Ms Somers gets "roasted" on the site. Posters credit in to James Baerd, Julia Child (who seals the pot with dough), and the Glaumping Gormet.

der Brucer

(PS This is one of the many, many varients on the net - just google "chicken 40 cloves garlic" and have a ball)

td

• td
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2005, 08:14:52 AM »

Renee Elise Goldsberry

Yet another Carnegie Mellon alum I had the pleasure of watching grow through four school terms!
The first thing I remember seeing her in following graduation was the premiere of HERCULES, broadcast on either ABC or The Disney Channel, where she sang and danced one of The Muses.

I also remember SCARECROW from the theaters, doesn't either Al or Gene have a one-night stand with Miss Irene Molloy herself, Eileen Brennan?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2005, 08:17:24 AM »

Thanks Der Brucer!  I hope Rodzinski is in the mood for chicken!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2005, 08:17:53 AM »

DR MattH:

Howie and James are on the block tonight.  All signs point towards James being the unlucky target.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2005, 08:19:28 AM »

I saw SCARECROW in the theater.

.. but back then, the only gay characters we got regularly were psychos and ne'er-do-wells.

Well, there were also the suicidal losers :(

I enjoyed Scarecrow more when he teamed up with Mrs King.

der brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2005, 08:20:13 AM »

I'm thinking of taking up a collection to enroll Jed in a "family tree" seminar in which he can pick up some terminology to simplify his familial relationships when he's posting here.

Jed:  Buck up, old man!  And don't even TRY to work out the differences between a "first cousin" and a "first cousin, once removed."

It's not as important as understanding the difference between your sister, your daughter, yourself, your brother, your son, your father, your brother, your son, your daughter, your sister, your  mother, your girlfriend, your father's brother, your cousin, yourself...

OY!  I'm getting a "Chinatown" headache, I am!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 08:22:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2005, 08:20:22 AM »

After hearing DR Jose's raves about the program, I watched So You Think You Can Dance last night.  I enjoy the format so much better than American Idol which I had to give up watching.  Unlike Idol, the dance show is mostly dance and not as much crap.  They don't spend half the show reairing previously aired footage.  

I think this will be my new guilty pleasure.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2005, 08:23:38 AM »

How do you all get your pictures posted  INSIDE the message instead of at the bottom?  

I cannot seem to manage it.

DR Vixmom, I store all my pics at www.photobucket.com, then create a link here using the IMG tag.  The other advantage of this is that the pic doesn't take up storage space at this here site.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2005, 08:24:01 AM »

Greetings all.

Great new avatars and old- time pics.

FJL:  Loved the bit about taking a walk with your parents on the boardwalk so they could show that thier kids visited them for yunteff.  Very funny.  ARe you strictly kosher, or kosher-style, if I may ask.  Just curious.

There was something else I was goign to comment on from last night's antics, but can't recall.

TOD:  Basically all my faves were mentioned:  Carol. Ed. Donny & Marie. Sonny & Cher/Cher alone. Muppets.  Hudson Brothers (How well I remember my brother, former DR Jay, and I both being at my mother's apartment for some reason -- holidays? -- and after having stayed up late, watching Elaine Paige sing "I'd Be Surprisingly Good for You" in a contemporary singles bar setting.)

I'm just a bit too young to have been around for Perry Como, and some of those other mid 60s shows.

And I never, EVER, liked Red Skelton.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2005, 08:31:01 AM »

Well, you're in a jocular mood! (Obviously not watching the news today)

der Brucer

Well, I was speaking in general.  Truth be told, this morning I am feeling depressed and apprehensive about what is happening in Louisiana and Mississippi.  I have that same shaky feeling I had in the days following 9/11 that there's the possibility that things are going to get much worse.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2005, 08:31:50 AM »

I also liked Jackie Gleason's American Scene Magazine.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2005, 08:32:35 AM »

Funny Haircut story:

(Funny ironic, not funny ha-ha)

So I finally remembered to make an appointment for a haircut for last Friday evening, after work.  I have been going to this salon only for a few months, which translates to a few haircuts.  I had been getting cut by the owner of the salon.

I arrive at the appointed time, only to find my stylist not there, and the other cutter washing out a perm.  He says "You're Stuart, right?"  

"Yes."

"Well, Scott (my stylist) just got around to eating lunch about a half hour ago. (It was about 5:30.)  And it was a seafood salad sandwich.  And he forgot to put it in the fridge when he came in, so he is home wretching right now.  You can either come back tomorrow for him to cut you, or I can do it after I finish getting her (the perm person) under the dryer."

Since I had plans on Saturday, I opted -- after some hesitation, and since I really needed a haircut -- to let Chris cut my hair.

As I sat down, and snapped the smock over me, I said "You know, if I like your haircut I'm going to have to kill you."

"Why?"

"Because I usually get cut by Scott, and he owns the place, and I would feel funny coming back to you for a cut with him around."

Have you all caught on yet?

I freaking LOVE this haircut!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 09:04:55 AM by Stuart »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2005, 08:33:57 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I was saved by the bell this morning - well, more like the ringer on my cell phone.  The coaching I was supposed to do at 10:30, got rescheduled to 4:30 due to a studio availability issue.  Thankfully, I got the call around 9:00, and I had just gotten up, so I was able to go back to bed to catch a few more winks.

And now...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2005, 08:34:27 AM »

DR td, thanks for the inside info on Renee Elise Goldsberry. It is always wonderful to see folks you know make good.  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2005, 08:39:07 AM »

Thanks, bk, for the info on the available soundtracks for THE STING. I have to admit I'll be watching it the first time with the DTS. I want to hear those Scott Joplin rags completely surrounding me.

I knew that lame first Universal release of THE STING was full frame and had only the mono track. So, glad to see they kept the original soundtrack for purists but did updates for those who prefer it.

I assume they did that with MOCKINGBIRD, too.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2005, 08:45:45 AM »

Well, I was speaking in general.  Truth be told, this morning I am feeling depressed and apprehensive about what is happening in Louisiana and Mississippi.  I have that same shaky feeling I had in the days following 9/11 that there's the possibility that things are going to get much worse.

I share your apprehension - martial law seems a given; augmentation of the LA National Guard with US Armed Forces for riot control and, ultimatelty, forced evacuation. An inevitable casting of the disaster in racial-conflict terms. Left wing loonies calling on the UN to send in troups. The blame game is already in full swing - only Jose has escaped, so far.

I'm sure no Emergency Plan took into account that about 25% of the 400,000 population would ignore mandatory evacuation orders; nor did the New Orleans plan contemplate that the disater being addressed would extend so far afield.

I fear no agency has a well-thought out plan for "managing" upwards of a million homeless, out of work, refugees with little hope of returning home for 6-12 months.

Oh well, "Whistle a Happy Tune"...

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2005, 08:46:43 AM »

Topic of the Day:

"The Muppet Show"

"The Carol Burnett Show" - Ah, Lyle Waggoner...  I think that's when I first "knew".  ;)

"Sonny and Cher"

"Pink Lady and Jeff" - I remember this one quite vividly, and I still find it amazing that it only ran a few episodes.  I guess it was that bad/good!  -Does Trio still run it from time to time?  I know they had that marathon a couple of months ago.

"The Donny and Marie Show" - This was basically required viewing for a while.  And if we happened to be over at another family's house that night for dinner, we would all gather around the TV and watch.

"Tony Orlando and Dawn's Show" - Or whatever the exact title of that show was.  I still remember one time where they had a magician on, and he did that trick where he puts a lady in a box, and slices her in half and then put her back together again.  Well, this time, he put both "Dawns" into boxes, sliced them in half, then put them back together again, but he switched around their bottom halves.  And when they stepped out of the boxes, they had "new" dresses on since they were wearing different colored dresses before they stepped in.  -My apologies for the rather clumsy explanation.

"The Big Show" - This came out when I was in high school, I believe.  It was an attempt to bring back the variety show.  Alas, it was very short-lived.

And I'd have to include "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson".  Yes, it was a late night talk show, but it sure had variety too!

And didn't the Smothers Brothers have a show for a while?  I seem to remember snippets of those too.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2005, 08:48:11 AM »

...an appointment for a haircut for last firday evening,

Haircuts are on "furday", "firday" is for tree trimming.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up