Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOPHISTICATED ME  (Read 64081 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SOPHISTICATED ME
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2005, 09:03:26 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Richmond!

I'm currently staying with my friends, Joel and John.  Joel is in real estate, and John is one of the Deans at VCU.  So... This house if fabulous!  It's my first time here.  There's a Baldwin grand piano in the living room, a hot tub out on the deck, the guest room (which I'm staying in) has it's own bathroom, etc., etc., etc...

And I have a wireless internet connection too!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2005, 09:04:01 PM »

WOOHOO!

And that brought up to Page Six!!!

Everybody do THE LOCOMOTION!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2005, 09:05:30 PM »

The drive down to Richmond was very nice.  Great weather.  No traffic.  I left Fairfax around 1:30, and I pulled up to Steve's place a little after 3:00.  Very good time.  And I wasn't speeding!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »

Steve's new place is really coming together nicely.  He's got a bunch more things out of the boxes, and he's installed some more lighting fixtures.

He also finally received the CD Duplicator that he'll be using when he does the rehearsal CDs for the Richmond Men's Chorus.  It will do seven at one time.  Very cool.

He also finally got his copy of Finale from the RMC.  He hasn't installed it yet, but I've already "warned" him to set aside a weekend or two to learn the program.  I use Finale from time to time.  Yes, the finished pages look great - publisher ready music - but the program has quite a learning curve.  I also realized a few years ago to treat it more as a graphics program rather than a music program - since that's basically what music layout and typography is - it is a graphic art.  Once that light bulb went on in my head, it helped to ease the frustration level.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2005, 09:12:22 PM »

Laura, you are a Saint with a capital S! Tell Lyn and Kerry to take you out for mountains of cake!

Boy, I've got YOU fooled!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2005, 09:16:37 PM »

We headed over to his sister's house for a Labor Day dinner.  Becky made a big ole pot of Chicken and Dumplings and some "stewed squash", and her parents brought over some fried okra (pan fried in a cast iron skillet, not deep-fried).  A very Southern repast.  However...

On the ride back from Becky's, Steve commented that he didn't like the way Becky prepared the squash.  Well, neither did I.  She basically cooked it down until it was mush.  It had even begun to color, to darken since it had cooked so long and the sugars were beginning to caramelize.  It wasn't that it was bad, it just wasn't that good.  And I'm guessing any and all nutritional value got cooked out too.  I suggested to Steve that maybe if she added some sugar, cream and a couple of eggs, should could make a pretty decent pie with it.

;)

But it was nice seeing Steve's family again.  And Becky's two sons have both had growth spurts this summer.   The younger one has to have grown a good ten inches taller over the past couple of months.  And Steve's mother and father were very happy to see me too - as I them - since it's been a while.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2005, 09:17:22 PM »

Well, I got the call to report to the shelter immediately to help assess the situation. The problem is that our governor called on folks to volunteer at the shelter, so now it is chaos there -- the plans that were already laid out for emergencies have gone by the wayside. There is already another group there doing our job, and it's a disaster within a disaster. The shelter officials would prefer our being there, but who wants to overrule the governor? So I guess we'll remain on call and see what happens.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2005, 09:23:45 PM »

OH!  And we also met Becky's new pets, a kitten a puppy.

The puppy is a Cocker Spaniel named Shadey.  Becky named her that since she basically follows her around all day, like her shadow.  She's about four months old.  A light brown, almost straw-colored coat, and reddish ears.  And those typical sad-looking cocker spaniel eyes.  A very cute dog.  *Although, during the time that Steve and I were there, Shadey managed to pee three times on the carpet in the house.  And, of course, this did not happen until after Becky had mentioned that she had had no house-training issues with her.  By the third "accident", Becky wasn't sure just how cute Shadey was anymore.  ;)

The kitten has a silver and gray coat with stripes, and her belly is sort of off-white.  Very interesting coloring.  And the cat also has a very interesting name too.  Her boys had picked her out from one of those Pet Adoption agencies.  They wanted to call him "Dallas".  Well, Becky's husband did not want a cat named "Dallas", so... "Dallas" it was!  However...

A few days after Dallas was with them, Becky heard her husband fussing at the cat in the kitchen one morning.  Well, so did her boys.  So, the cats "new" name is: "Dallas... Dammit"

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2005, 09:26:49 PM »

One should always overrule the governer.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2005, 09:37:38 PM »

And The Toughest Sheriff In America wants to send his prisoners to volunteer. Trouble is, they automatically fail the criminal background check the rest of us must pass.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 09:41:05 PM by DearReaderLaura »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2005, 09:46:09 PM »

As for all the "stuff" happening in New Orleans and elsewhere where Katrina struck...

I'm always appalled at how these horrific events can bring out the worst in people.  The looting, the shootings, the rapes, etc.  Yes, desperate times may call for desperate measures, but sometimes people end up hurting themselves in the long run.

One of my brothers is in the Coast Guard.  He's currently working at CG Headquarters in DC.  When Katrina started to move towards the Gulf Coast, his office went into overdrive.  They were moving ships, redeploying other vessels, checking on their own bases in the Gulf Coast, etc.  They were even handling some of the phone calls and pledges during the Concert on NBC last weekend.   Well...

There is a Coast Guard command center in New Orleans.  It's actually one of their newer places.  Well, it was one of their newer places.  The day after the storm, a group of people ransacked the place.  They took anything and everything that was not nailed down or under lock and key.  Thankfully, the guns and ammunition were under lock and key, and were not stolen.  Additionally, they destroyed all the radio and computer equipment - some of which was still functional.  And to top it all off, they rubbed feces all over the walls.  So...

Now the Coast Guard is scrambling to put together some sort of ad hoc outpost since their center was destroyed.  Destroyed by the very people who they were/are trying to help.  Why destroy one of the few places that could have gotten communications out to those who could help?

Yes, I do think the US government should have come in immediately to help the victims of the storm, but I'm also disgusted by the actions of those few who have hindered the progress due to their own callousness and selfish attitudes.

-End of rant.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2005, 09:48:03 PM »

DR Ginny - Only FIVE Hershey Bars?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2005, 09:54:29 PM »

Most tedious show... Maltby and Shire's "Baby".... it was the only show that my best pal, conductor/mentor, Mark almost fired me from.  Lots of notes, lots of accidentals and a VERY "close" pit, not a lot of room and I was under the stage extension which I had to sit very still as if I moved, I would knock my head.  All those conditions and the score made  not so great work.

Ohhh... Baby is sentimental favorite of mine.  It was my second professional gig, and it was shortly after the run of that show finished that I came out.  And the person I came out to was the guy playing Danny.  I just made so many good friends during the run of that production.  Just very near and dear to me.

And I do like the music too.  *If you want to talk accidentals, just try reading through the flashback sequence in Passion - OUCH!  In any case... There are a few songs I don't like - those "Romance" reprises for example - but the big ballads, "I Chose Right", "The Story Goes On", "With You", "And What If We Had Loved Like That" - even "Patterns" - still move me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2005, 10:02:07 PM »

Question for BK or Jose, or anyone who has an ear to the ground on New York theater - what's causing the very strong advance negative vibe to the show IN MY LIFE?  I've been following theater for a long long time, but I can't remember any show where the vibes have been so negative even before a show started performances and even going back to its press preview.  Is it that the writer/director is financing it?  The subject matter of Tourette's and OCD?  I'm finding it unusual.

To tell the truth, I actually haven't heard much about the show at all.  -And that kind of stuff usually finds its way to me somehow or another.  However, I'd have to say No Buzz is worse than Bad Buzz.

If I had to venture a guess as to the reason for the Bad Buzz, I would guess it would stem from the vanity nature of the production: written and directed by the same gentleman.  Additionally, there is a sense of the unknown and even possibly some jealousy since the piece had no real "history" before coming into New York.  -Did it have a workshop somewhere else?  And it's also being written by a relative newbie to the Broadway scene.  No pedigree.  And after projects such as Good Vibrations, Lennon - heck, even The Ten Commandments - who can blame them?

Personally, I'm still puzzling over the logo/artwork.  All those lemons?  I'm guessing maybe it has to do with the adage, "When God gives you lemons, make lemonade," but maybe it doesn't.  I know the couple meets in a supermarket, so maybe they met in the produce section.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2005, 10:05:08 PM »

I love Baby!  Last month, I got the 3-track limited collector's edition recording of the show with Lea Salonga.  The songs are "I Chose Right" by David Shannon, "Two People in Love" with Lea, David and chorus and "The Story Goes On" by Lea.  She is fantastic!  Very similar to Liz, but very good in her own right.  Why couldn't they do a whole cast recording?  There are a couple of cast photos, so it was a whole production.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2005, 10:16:40 PM »

I love Baby!  Last month, I got the 3-track limited collector's edition recording of the show with Lea Salonga.  The songs are "I Chose Right" by David Shannon, "Two People in Love" with Lea, David and chorus and "The Story Goes On" by Lea.  She is fantastic!  Very similar to Liz, but very good in her own right.  Why couldn't they do a whole cast recording?  There are a couple of cast photos, so it was a whole production.

Ah, that must have been from the production she did in the Philippines.  -Everytime I read her bio, I'm amazed at how many shows she's done "back home".  Heck, she's even done Proof!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2005, 10:18:15 PM »

Where is JoseSPiano when a frenzy is needed?

Refer to above.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2005, 10:25:35 PM »

Jane is still trying to get into the Comfort Inn. She has a friend who is going to keep checking while she and Keith are on their trip.

Now is a good time to start checking for group cancellations and such.  Who knows?  You may find a deal along the way.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2005, 10:34:05 PM »

Back from Canada.

Family and friends think the Prez and his cronies are idiots for taking so long to respond. And all the cabinet members going down to help out for a day and smiling for the camera. Camera op.

It is just so sad. And anyone who doesn't say there is a division between african-americans and white folks are wrong. In the sea of faces it was hard to find one person who was white (there were some but very few).

It became so sad to watch. It wa interesting to watch the Canadian, UK and France views. Montrealers were able to see their views. Not very complimentary.

And the USA has to think about receiving aid from Russia and Cuba! Come on!

...And I also had to "laugh" when I heard on the news today that Congress will be delaying the start of the approval process for Bush's candidate for the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court until Thursday out of respect for the recently departed Judge Rehnquist - his funeral is on Wednesday.  How about delaying the process until after some sort of real plan and major progress is made helping out the thousands upon thousands who were affected by Hurricane Katrina?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2005, 10:35:44 PM »

Well, it's been sort of a long day for me today, and I want to get an early start tomorrow morning.  Lots of little things to take care of.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2005, 11:03:27 PM »

Has Ann caught up?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2005, 11:03:55 PM »

I am finished with my viewing.  I shall view no more this evening.  I have turned on the iPod.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2005, 11:04:22 PM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Oh, and has Ann caught up?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2005, 11:13:10 PM »

After reading ALL the posts the only thought that stays with me is:

DRJOSE has a light bulb in his head.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2005, 11:14:08 PM »

Nope DRMBARNUM haven't gotten ANY further with ADAM-12....but I will in a couple of weeks.

I also played Hysterium....I live to grovel....and I carry her bust with pride....those filthy pirates!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2005, 11:16:23 PM »

Rehearsal was very bad tonight....very bad.  Joseph the LEAD convict does not know his lines.....we struggled and struggled.  And I didn't know whether to pick them up for him or go on.  If I tried to help him, he just got more confused.

The director said (since we open on Thursday) - if it's as bad tomorrow, we will do it TWICE!!  Even if we have to stay all night.  Oh my - somehow I think the production went wrong back in the casting phase.....but I am only an actor in this show (well and the backup prop person and the makeup and hair guy) - so I will just pretend to be Johnny Mathis:

It's NOT for me to say......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2005, 11:17:02 PM »

Maybe I should just recite the Marsellaise and be done with it - Ginger made a great hit with it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2005, 11:17:12 PM »

Now I am hungry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2005, 11:23:19 PM »

Apparently Ann caught up and ran off with up.

I see others just sitting there like so much fish.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2005, 11:26:46 PM »

I'm not just sitting here, I'm playing FreeCell!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up