Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SOPHISTICATED ME  (Read 62717 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:SOPHISTICATED ME
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2005, 12:23:10 PM »

A frenzy in need is a frenzy, indeed!

That's what I always say.

What do YOU always say?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 12:24:50 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2005, 12:23:25 PM »

Well hot damn!

Finally on page 3!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2005, 12:23:57 PM »

I was up before 6 a.m., and it seems pretty strange to me that it's not even half past noon.

I'm ready for a nap, I am.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2005, 12:24:13 PM »

But I have this mini-frenzy to get out of my system.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2005, 12:26:21 PM »

Four other forum members are currently logged on:

I see London

I see France

I see TCB's

Looking askance.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2005, 12:26:45 PM »

Larry More, Cillaliz and Tpunk are also here.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »

It is so horrible!  Now they are saying that as many as 10,000 people may be dead in Katrina's wake.  Sorry, Rodzinski, but it is begining to sound like America's tsunami.

I will apologize in advance to those dear readers who think I am playing politics with this situation, but I am so sick of hearing all of these hollow, and at times ridiculous, excuses for the government's delays.  I don't believe that this has anything to do with race, I just believe that the government was caught napping and that they ought to own up to it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2005, 12:31:11 PM »

Four other forum members are currently logged on:

I see London

I see France

I see TCB's

Looking askance.

I fooled you Mr. Ron Pulliam, I'm not wearing any!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2005, 12:34:19 PM »

Thank you Tomovoz for posting that wonderful photo of Ozderek.  Like Matt H., I shed several tears when I saw it.
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2005, 12:41:17 PM »

I fooled you Mr. Ron Pulliam, I'm not wearing any!
You mean, that's all really a clever make-up job?

Such shading!  Such nuance!

Such... :o
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 12:42:03 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2005, 01:24:58 PM »

I had a most enjoyable afternoon watching a plethora or DVDs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2005, 01:27:47 PM »

I started off with two more episodes from CSI: Season 2. This may be the best season the show ever had. Fantastic mysteries, and everyone still seems very into their characters without pushing too hard to make themselves unique to the point of losing audience support.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »

Then, I put in WHITE HEAT. There aren't many movies I love more than this one. It's a sensational crime drama, and I don't think Cagney ever gave a better performance.

I watched the documentary on the DVD that featured Dr. Drew Casper and other experts. I respect his scholarship and film knowledge greatly, but he's a bit creepy when staring right into the camera talking. He comes off better in other documentaries where he's not looking right at you through the lens. but rather looking at an offscreen person and talking to him.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2005, 01:32:33 PM »

Then I put in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Season 2, disc 2 and enjoyed three episodes including the all-time classic "The Pickle Story" where Aunt Bee makes (what Barney calls) "kerosene cucumbers." I was rolling on the floor.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2005, 01:33:47 PM »

And a friend dropped by this afternoon and brought me NATIONAL TREASURE (with Nic Cage) to watch. I've been wanting to see this for months, and now I'll be watching it tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2005, 01:35:58 PM »

And I have to say I have been enjoying the new recliner very much. I had been sitting in a straightbacked chair for the last three or four months after my last recliner bit the dust (after 15 years), and I just wasn't meant to watch this many movies and TV shows in such an uncomfortable chair.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2005, 01:39:51 PM »

Why is everyone just sitting there like so much fish?  You'd think this was a Labor Day or something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2005, 01:40:13 PM »

My short story just took a very interesting turn - I love when that happens.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2005, 02:26:49 PM »

Ah, me. Some folks are stopping by for a drink in a little bit, so I must go get margaritas ready. Will return at a later time today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2005, 02:48:44 PM »

Oy and vey, you'd think this was a Labor Day holiday.  I am starving right now because I've just written a page all about what people are having for dinner at Don the Beachcomber's.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2005, 02:49:29 PM »

Forget Margaritas - serve sophisticated drinks like Manhattans and Vodka Gimlets, and martinis.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2005, 02:55:44 PM »

I'd take a margarita at the moment...or anything with vodka in it.

It has been a very quiet labor day weekend for me.  The first time in many many years that I haven't spent at least some of it in my home town, at the county fair.  I was sorely tempted to head home for a bit yesterday to see the fair, but gas prices kept me from it.  It's a very hick-town little affair, but it has nostalgic importance to me...and besides, you can't beat good fair food :D

mmm...I want an elephant ear and some cotton candy now...

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2005, 03:04:16 PM »

Labor Day greetings!  We spent most of today looking after the old ladies in our lives.  Had lunch with DH Richard's mom in the dining room of her apartment building, where I visited also with the woman who hired me for my first professional library job.  I reminded her that I'd had dinner with her and her (now late) husband on Labor Day 32 years ago when I had just moved here.

We then went to the retirement community on the other side of the interstate to help my aunt with some phone issues and to visit a bit with my mother.  They are all living independently and range in age from 76 (my aunt) to 88 (Richard's mother) - we are very blessed.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »

Mmmmmmmmm

"The Corn is as dear
As an elephant's ear"

No! Needs work.

"Cotton candy Chistmas"
No! That needs work too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2005, 03:10:15 PM »

TODI suspect someone will rightfully answer: "Mother".

der Brucer

Yes, DR der Brucer, I will say "mother," not so much because it was difficult, but because it was (is, even though DS Rob is almost 20) 24/7 and, especially in the newborn/infant stage, had no structure.  I had worked professionally for 12 years before, cold turkey, becoming a stay-at-home mom.  Not knowing even when I'd find time in the day to take a shower was quite unnerving.  Fortunately, I have a wonderful husband who's been a parenting equal from day 1 (as I type this, he's out helping Rob practice his driving maneuverability skills - he takes his road test tomorrow for his first driver's license - late bloomer, like me).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2005, 03:14:27 PM »

DR Tomovoz - lovely remembrance of DR ozderek.  Thank you for sharing the photo with us and our condolences with his family.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2005, 03:19:25 PM »

Time comin' fast to fix the Labor Day DinDin.

Hamburgers, of course, with the proper fixin's.

French fries.

Potato salad, cole slaw.

Der B will probably want some baked beans.

I gotta sneek in some jalapeno peppers somewhere.   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2005, 03:23:19 PM »

DR SWW - Your Labor Day menu sounds exactly like what we had at my mother-in-law's.  However they also served green beans (quite delicious), which perplexed the old folks ("Who ever heard of green beans at a picnic?" - DM-i-L)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2005, 03:29:25 PM »

Yes, DR der Brucer, I will say "mother," not so much because it was difficult, but because it was (is, even though DS Rob is almost 20) 24/7 and, especially in the newborn/infant stage, had no structure.  I had worked professionally for 12 years before, cold turkey, becoming a stay-at-home mom.  Not knowing even when I'd find time in the day to take a shower was quite unnerving.  Fortunately, I have a wonderful husband who's been a parenting equal from day 1 (as I type this, he's out helping Rob practice his driving maneuverability skills - he takes his road test tomorrow for his first driver's license - late bloomer, like me).

Late bloomer, my ass!  I was terrified of you 30 years ago, you were so together.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 03:29:44 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2005, 03:54:21 PM »

I have no idea what the food will be at the party I'm attending, but whatever it is, I've got to eat some of it soon.  The problem usually is that when parties begin at five, you usually don't eat until six.  Therefore, I might not show up until five-thirty or so, just so I don't pass out from hunger.  That'll teach me to write a page describing yummilicious food - one must never write a page like that early in the day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up