Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOST WITH THE MOST ON THE BALL  (Read 84950 times)

FJL

Re:THE HOST WITH THE MOST ON THE BALL
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »

I feel guilty doing my media check since I haven't put the brand new Kritzerland shipments into the CD player yet, but I've wanted to listen when I can give them undivided attention.

New Guy in Town
Wicked
She's so Unusual - Cyndi Lauper
After the Ball
Time-Life Greatest Hits of 1978 (because I've been listening to Earth Wind & Fire's song "September" over and over since Labor Day)

So sorry to read that message from Stuart.  :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2005, 04:37:40 PM »

Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2005, 04:37:51 PM »

Mairzy Doats
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2005, 04:38:08 PM »

Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2005, 04:38:28 PM »

Gosh! I'm feeling all "40's-Something"!

François de Paris

« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2005, 04:40:39 PM »

Ok! SPOIL that BIG BROTHER 6, 7 or 8 for me ANY TIME!

I just don't care! I don't give a sou to that show that I can't watch anyhow!
So SPOIL, baby, SPOIL! Oyl!

FJL

« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2005, 04:41:43 PM »

If no one else is going to do a page 7 dance, here's my feeble attempt:

Ba-de-ya say do you remember
Ba-de-ya dancing in September
Ba-de-ya, never was a cloudy day

Ba-de-ya, ba-de-ya, etc.

-Earth, Wind & Fire

François de Paris

« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2005, 04:42:37 PM »

Well... Ron's going through one of his frenzies again!

AH! Youth!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2005, 04:57:11 PM »

FJL:    You must, must, must (that is three musts) get ahold of Gershon Veroba's version of September, which rethinks the lyric for the High Holy Days.

BTW, my Yom Kippur fasting comment the other day was a joke.  My Dad was raised Orthodox and my wife went to the Orthodox Hillel Academy, so I kind of know what I'm talking about.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 04:58:11 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »

Okay, here's a Twilight Zone moment...I'm at work (for a library) ordering books and listening to a CD that I made of the DVD to "Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl" live concert.  The title that I just searched was "Before the Parade Passes By:  Gower Champion and the Glorious American Musical" by John Anthony Gilvey.  At the exact moment that I saw the title on my computer screen, Lee Roy Reams started singing that song!  Weird, ain't it? ;D

DRGeorge, I go religiously through the PUBLSHERS WEEKLY Spring and Fall announcements, and there are a lot of titles coming out that I didn't find in the announcements.  Thank you for mentioning the Champion book; I just preordered it from Amazon.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:02:01 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2005, 05:01:54 PM »

Where Magazine (PARIS) September 2005.

Bag That baguette: Meet the American Expert on French bread, by Barbara Oudiz.

"I used to be more crumb than crust. These days I'm mostly crust", quips Steven Kaplan from his office in the Latin Quarter.
Kaplan talks about bread with a depth and passion most men in France usually reserve for football or "les femmes".
At 60, this affable New York native is possibly the world's only historian of French bread. He has written a dozen scholarly works on every aspect of milling and baking in France from the 18th century to the present, and two books aimed at the general French public: Le Retour du Bon Pain, and Cherchez le Pain, a guide to the best bakeries in Paris.
Having visited nearly 700 of the city's 1263 bakeries in search of the perfect loaf, he has been known to identy the bakery a baguette come from just by smelling it.

FJL

« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2005, 05:03:35 PM »

DR JMK - I get so confused with all the fast days that I figure other people must get confused, too.  :)  The day after Rosh Hashanah is also a minor fast day, the Fast of Gedaliah.  But IIRC, that one doesn't start until the next morning or something unusual like that???

François de Paris

« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2005, 05:08:16 PM »

A professor of French history, Kaplan spends half of the academic year at Cornell University ("The History of Food and Eating" is his most popular course), and half at the University of Versailles-St Quentin. The irony of teaching the French about bread in Versailles is not lost on him.
Some 35 years ago, when he first became interested in being a food scholar, "it was like saying you were going to study the history of the lawnmower. What are you going to do, people would ask me, write the history of the crèpe suzette? It was a long struggle to obtain scholarly legitimacy. In fact, food - and bread in particular - is at the center of all human preoccupations, economic, political, cultural, historical and religious."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2005, 05:10:02 PM »

DR vixmom - Have you been receiving the various discount codes for Patience from NYTimes.com, Playbill.com, etc., etc.?

I received one today fromt he NY Times I think for 10% off.  That was waht prompted my questions before, I had read (here) that Michael Ball was doing something but I hadn't  realized it was  a Gilbert & Sullivan Operetta.  I have always enjoyed G & S, although as I mentioned earlier I am not familiar with Patience.

Vix dad is out tonight so I haven't been able to ask him if he is interested in seeing it or not so I haven't gone online to buy tickets .  Do you know of  any better deals than the 10% off ?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

François de Paris

« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2005, 05:15:16 PM »

Like many good stories, Kaplan's began by chance. In 1962, he was an 18-year old Princeton student on his first trip to France, with a job as an intern in a winery.
Strolling around Paris, he stumbled upon the Poilâne bakery on rue du Cherche-Midi and bought a baguette, which the famous bakery still made in those days.
After picking some wine and cheese, he sat down in the Luxembourg Gardens for lunch. He never got farther then the baguette.
"I remember it so vividly: it was such a Proustian moment! I was drunk with enthusiasm with the sweet, buttery nuttiness of it! I found myself thinking about taste forthe first time in my life."
The discovery led him to visit dozens of other bakeries. Soon he was keeping filing cards on the various baguettes, bâtards, boules and other forms of bread he tasted.

Ginny

« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2005, 05:23:15 PM »

bk, condolences on the loss of your friend and former manager.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

François de Paris

« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2005, 05:24:15 PM »

As a graduate student at Yale, he returned to Paris and began to explore the idea of writing his thesis on France's most emblematic food. Given the importance of bread in a country with some 50 000 bakeries, he worried that a wealth of scholarly studies already existed. He combed the French National Library and astonishingly, came up empty-handed.
"With a huge sense of relief and victory, I screamed "Bread, here I am!", he laughs.
"And for the moment, I'm still the only kid on the block."

In 2002, with Le Retour du Bon Pain Kaplan adapted a life-long academic undertaking to a general public. The book traces the profound changes that occurred in baking methods in France during the 20th century. After being forced to eat dark, tough bread during World War II, the French longed for fluffy, white-dough baguettes.
As a result, from the 1950's on, bakers began making the kind of industrialized, mass-produced bread Kaplan calls "scandalously tasteless, embarrassingly empty, dull, and flat."

MBarnum

« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2005, 05:30:58 PM »

. . .and on the TOD:
I received a lovely cd in the mail today.  VOICE by Alison Moyet, produced by Anne (THE FULL MONTY) Dudley.  On this cd, the heavenly Ms. Moyet performs standards and art songs!  Of greatest interest to me, the reason I bought the cd, is Ms. Moyet's recording of Jacques Brel's la chanson des vieux amants which she does completely en francais.

Other songs are The windmills of your mind, the man i love, almost blue, je crois entendre encore, what are you doing the rest of your life?, god give me strength, the wraggle taggle gypsies-o!, dido's lament:  when i am laid in earth, cry me a river and bye bye blackbird. (since the cd doesn't use caps, neither did i.)

Wow, that sounds like a very good CD. I only have one of her CDs...ALF...perhaps I need to be getting down to Borders soon!

François de Paris

« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2005, 05:31:16 PM »

Thanks to the initiative of a handful of flour consortiums in the 1990s, traditional, pre-war baking methods began to return.
These methods eliminated all additives and called for a slower kneading and longer fermentation process. They produced tasty, caramelized, crispy-crusted baguettes with a beige-coloured crumb.
A government decree introduced in 1993 gave these baguettes the official label "Tradition" and exempted them from price restrictions. Kaplan added thrust to the movement by actively campaining for traditional bread to be served in school cafeterias and restaurants.
For years, he has been doing the unthinkable in France: he brings along his own baguette to restaurants that have yet to heed the call.
The reaction is not always friendly

Ginny

« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2005, 05:35:45 PM »

DRGeorge, I go religiously through the PUBLSHERS WEEKLY Spring and Fall announcements, and there are a lot of titles coming out that I didn't find in the announcements.  Thank you for mentioning the Champion book; I just preordered it from Amazon.

On Aug. 30, I posted the Champion title and a couple of others:

Sept. 25 release - The Art of the American Musical: Conversations with the Creators, by Jackson R. Bryer and Richard A. Davison

Nov. 1 release - Flower Drum Songs: The Story of Two Musicals, by David H. Lewis

Dec. 31 release - Before the Parade Passes By: Gower Champion and the Glorious American Musical, by John Anthony Gilvey

One of the things I like most about my job is getting to see Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, NY Times Book Review, and many, many catalogs on a regular basis.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

François de Paris

« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2005, 05:36:52 PM »

Kaplan has known other challenges.
Cherchez le Pain, his guide to Parisian bakeries, was published in 2004, at the height of French-American tensions over Iraq. The idea of an American advising the French on such a symbol of national identity as bread would have been difficult at any time, but the political context made it much tougher.

Being an ardent Francophile - he is now married to a French woman and dreams of eventually settling permanently in Paris - Kaplan was even more sensitive to the problem. He found hinself re-writing sentences two or three times, trying to find the right balance of humour and opinion, to avoid sounding arrogant while defneding his expertise in the area.

FJL

« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2005, 05:37:41 PM »

Random odd thought:  Skip is watching a home improvement show called "Mission Organization" on HGTV, and they're reorganizing a family's home.  One of the kids on the show is named Katrina.  I wonder how kids (and adults) named Katrina felt about their name being so attached to one of the biggest disasters in history, and whether we'd be better off not using people's names for disasters like hurricanes.  Nothing I feel too strongly about, just a thought that came up hearing the host using the name Katrina so casually with the added meaning it now has, now obviously being long after the HGTV show was taped.

MBarnum

« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2005, 05:37:46 PM »

TOD:

CD: HARD TO FIND ORCHESRAL INSTRUMENTALS
       BOB LIND

DVD: Mom will be here tomorrow, staying for a whole week...so pretty much it will be whatever she wants to watch.

VHS: Same as above.

Ginny

« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2005, 05:38:06 PM »

DR Ben - thanks for the Barrymore's update.  I know where I'll be going for lunch when I get to the city on Oct. 3!

Ginny

« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2005, 05:39:32 PM »

I miss DR Stuart already...

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2005, 05:39:48 PM »

I am also sending my strongest wish for Stuart to NOT leave this here sight. Hopefully after some thought, and time away, he will find that he can't live without us! LOL!

Seriously, Stuart I enjoy seeing you smiling avatar here, and I will miss it and your posts!

François de Paris

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2005, 05:43:28 PM »

For the book, Kaplan spent nine months going to roughly 700 bakeries, buying 60 baguettes a day.
"I learned to spit a lot!" he says.
"Bread tasting is 75% nose, 25% mouth".
Because bread is a living substance and regularity is crucial to a bakery's quality, he tested each of the 100 bakeries he eventually selected four or five times. "The good news," says Kaplan "is that about 80% of Parisian bakeries are now making "traditional" baguettes. The bad news is that only about 20% of them are really very good.
Of those 20%, only 5% are extraordinary."

NOW, should we blame DRJosePiano for that?????

Ginny

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2005, 05:47:34 PM »

Friday media report:

CD (car) - audiobook, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  I'd be finished with it, but didn't spend much time driving over the Labor Day weekend and Tuesday I was carjacked - Rob wanted to take his road test (which he passed!) in the smaller vehicle.  I forgot to take my audiobook when I drove DH Richard's car to work that day.

DVD - The guys are watching The Two Towers, which is why I'm in the other end of the house chatting here online.  I'm not a big Tolkien trilogy fan.

VCR - It's in the same room with the DVD...

Ginny

« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2005, 05:52:22 PM »

Jackie Demaline, the Cincinnati Enquirer critic had this to say about A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum:

news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050909/ENT/509090441/1025/LIFE
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:52:58 PM by Ginny »

FJL

« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2005, 06:14:02 PM »

Re the Tolkien Trilogy - Are Skip and I the only nuts, I mean theater lovers, who already have our tickets to the LORD OF THE RINGS musical in Toronto next spring?  We've even arranged the babysitters for our dogs for the day for next March.  (Skip's actually the Tolkien nut in our household, it's completely lost on me, but I'm very curious to see what they do to musicalize it.)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up