Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WELL, DEAR READERS  (Read 95372 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:WELL, DEAR READERS
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2005, 04:24:34 PM »

There actually WAS a daily column that did not start off with "Well, dear readers...." -- not exactly, anyway.

From the VERY FIRST column at Haines His Way.com after an introductory comment from Guy Haines, his very self, BK wrote:

"Bruce's first entry:

"Well, hello dear readers, and welcome to Haines His Way, the official website for my friend Guy Haines."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 04:25:16 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2005, 04:25:14 PM »

Hugh Laurie - well known (I would have thought) from his Black Adder appearances.

Where is Black Adder?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2005, 04:26:42 PM »

Wedged between Upper Red Adder and Lower Red Adder.

Ahhh, thank you, Ron.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2005, 04:27:26 PM »

Guess you call it an abacus in the PNW.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2005, 04:28:24 PM »

Waiting for Tom of Oz to verify:

The questions below are from potential visitors to Australia. They were posted on an Australian Tourism Website and the answers are the actual responses by the website officials, who obviously have a sense of humour, &c., &c., okay, you get the idea.....

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (UK).
A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia? (Sweden)
A: So it's true what they say about Swedes.

Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
A: What precisely did your last slave die of?

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not. oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked. (Exegetical apparatus: Kings Cross is the red light/non mainstream/anything goes district in Sydney....)

Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? ( UK)
A: You are a British politician, right?

Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)
A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Above "borrowed" from OxBlog

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2005, 04:33:05 PM »

Ahhh, thank you, Ron.

Damn you're fast!

I thought better about my reply, and I deleted it...but I was too late...too late.  

Deleted it but it was already captured for all eternity.

Besides, I think I gave you geographically incorrect data.  Black Adder must certainly be closely situated near White Adder and Gray Adder.  The Red Adders are certainly to the South of that, while the Blue ones are to the North.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 04:33:35 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2005, 04:42:51 PM »

If anyone is in the vibe-sending mood, we could really use some to bring this house business to a close.  We are hoping against hope the first developer makes us an offer within the next day or two.

We found the first house we're really excited about today.  It's way out in the toolies, about 20 miles west of Portland, but it's gorgeous and it's on 10 acres and it has a swimming pool and it is "cheap," relatively speaking.  But we need to have an offer on this house first.

BK, your very thoughtful sparkling prize arrived today.  Thanks.  Gave it a cursory listen today as I looked up plat maps (oy) of this property we're interested in.  Love the Jonathan Goldman ( ;) ) tune--can I arrange it for the Tigard Pops?

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2005, 04:43:40 PM »

Deleted it but it was already captured for all eternity.

To be displyed in the Museum of Great Regrets next to Nixon's tape and Monica's blue dress.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2005, 04:51:28 PM »

If anyone is in the vibe-sending mood, we could really use some to bring this house business to a close.

May the Kaufmann fortunes bloom!

Tomovoz

« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2005, 05:09:30 PM »

The list has been around for a long time and I would suggest it is for real.
The replies are indeed what any Australian might well say.
The questions are indeed typical and would not need to be invented.

Remember -
Many Americans think that the crocodile guy is a star and a typical Australian.  Of course we're more like Peter Woolnough and Dame Edna.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 05:46:08 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2005, 05:12:26 PM »

From the hopefull:

MUCH HOUSE VIBAGE FOR DR JMK AND HIS DW BETSY!!

...to the very sad ;):

NEW YORK - Bridget Jones is untying the knot. Renee Zellweger, who played the lovelorn Brit in "Bridget Jones's Diary," and country music star Kenny Chesney will have their four-month-old marriage annulled, Chesney's publicist, Holly Gleason, and Zellweger's Los Angeles-based publicist Nanci Ryder, confirmed to The Associated Press on Thursday.

Not another annulment of a celebrity short-time marriage! ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François de Paris

« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2005, 05:19:09 PM »

If you're a Karen Morrow fan click on this link.

http://blip.tv/file/1580

She's performing at the Onna White Memorial. She tells a VERY funny story about rehearsals for I Had a Ball (w/Buddy Hackett and others) and then sings the title song. You need Quick Time on your computer for the clip to play. If you have high speed it will load very quickly, if you're on dial-up it will take some time.

Thank you SO MUCH for the link to that clip! It sure makes my night!
Karen still has it! What a voice! What a lady!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2005, 05:31:20 PM »

Of course we're more like Peter Allan and Dame Edna.

Does Dame Edna misspell Peter's name? ::)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2005, 05:31:52 PM »

The list has been around for a long time and I would suggest it is for real.
The replies are indeed what any Australian might well say.
The questions are indeed typical and would not need to be invented.

Remember -
Many Americans think that the crocodile guy is a star and a typical Australian.  Of course we're more like Peter Allan and Dame Edna.

Really, Tom, like Dame Edna?  Then can I borrow your big purple hat, the one with the flower in front?  Oh never mind, that was Peter Allan.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 05:34:04 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2005, 05:36:32 PM »

Does Dame Edna misspell Peter's name? ::)
She never became used to his "stage name". She didn't ever really get over the marriage to that  Lisa Monelli girl.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2005, 05:44:07 PM »

Karen Morrow's site has been updated and has new recordings in the sound files!

www.karenmorrow.com/

François de Paris

« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2005, 05:45:48 PM »

She never became used to his "stage name". She didn't ever really get over the marriage to that  Lisa Monelli girl.

Neither have we! All of them marriages!

François de Paris

« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2005, 05:56:04 PM »

Bruce, you're not forgotten on Karen Morrow's links!!
I tell you; what a lady!

actors fund

ascap

brandon maggart

bruce kimmel

cabaret hotline

cabaretwest.org

cal state fullerton

david garrison

donnareed.org

ducylee recordings

eur.com

jim vukovich

maryjo mundy

ucla musical theater workshop

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2005, 05:58:20 PM »

...to the very sad ;):Not another annulment of a celebrity short-time marriage! ::)

Where did you find that?  It has been rumored for weeks, but everything I've read (even today) is her insisting that they are very happy together.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2005, 06:06:23 PM »

Okay, I feel like such a moron- I just made this connection.  Not that I am a religious viewer of House, but I never realized that the lead actor, Hugh Laurie, is the dad from the Stuart Little movies.

I have an internal IMDB in my head for current film/tv stars and usually make these connections... just ask Rodzinski who has had to sit through countless movies with me rattling off a history of tv shows the actors have guest starred on. :)

Do you know his work in the Wooster & Jeeves series?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2005, 06:15:45 PM »

Where did you find that?  It has been rumored for weeks, but everything I've read (even today) is her insisting that they are very happy together.

Click HERE to see where I got the article.  It's on the Comcast.net (my cable TV and Internet service provider) entertainment news.

It also said that "People magazine first reported the breakup, which brings to an end a whirlwind romance that began shortly before a surprise wedding in May."

The Comcast article has a link to People magazine on-line.  Click HERE for the specific PeopleNews article.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 06:16:30 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2005, 06:20:10 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~FANTASTIC HOUSE OFFER VIBES~~~~~~~[/move]
for the Kaufman Klan
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2005, 08:14:07 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the movies...  DR Jason and I decided to see "The Exorcism of Emily Rose".  We both liked it, and we were both a little creeped out by it.

After the movie we headed down to Magnolia for something a bit less "heavy" than the movie.  ;)  Banana pudding, carrot cake, and cupcakes.  YUMMERS!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2005, 08:19:48 PM »

...And something is up with the A trains going downtown.  It was very slow going when I left the apartment earlier.  Normally, the trip to midtown take 12-15 minutes.  It took nearly half an hour.  And heading back uptown tonight, it looked like they were still running slow.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2005, 08:33:47 PM »

Hugh Laurie's American accent is one of the best in the business. In both STUART LITTLE movies and in HOUSE, it's flawless.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2005, 08:38:11 PM »

I watched about an hour or so of MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE. Still a most intriguing movie, but MGM's transfer isn't the greatest in the world.

I guess I shouldn't complain since it is enhanced for widescreen TVs, and I saw it so long ago at a revival theater that maybe it's always looked as rough this DVD looks. But the focus is definitely not sharp and the color sometimes looks smeared which makes me think maybe MGM went on the cheap and used an earlier video master instead of striking a new one for the DVD release.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2005, 08:38:43 PM »

Hugh Laurie, not only from his Black Adder appearances (one of the funniest TV series ever!), but also from his Jeeves & Wooster series and his series with Stephen Fry, A Little Bit of Laurie and Fry (I think it was called).

Back from a rollicking, rousing din-din with BK at a little bistro around the corner from me, BIRDS.  Great dinner (top-notch onion rings) and a ringside window booth that allowed us to watch all the girls go walking by.  And a lot walked by...many quite lovely, even if they were all too young for a couple of geezers like us.  We, of course, laughed and laughed, etc ad infiinitum, ad nauseam...and the merriment continued as we strolled from the resturant to the used book/record shop a few doors down.  They were playing something so Shindig, so Hullabaloo, so British Rock, so each-song-the-same...that BK and I could not stop laughing about it, thinking it was some new band playing in the style of...But we found out it was The Cyrkle of Red Rubber Ball fame....Man, was the album ordinary.  Did they ever have another hit after Red Rubber Ball?  I will let BK tell you of his purchases.

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2005, 08:41:47 PM »

Another movie I put on for about an hour tonight was THUNDERBALL starring in addition to the always hunkalicious Sean Connery DR JRand's beloved Luciana Paluzzi.

Honest, DR JRand, I had totally forgotten she was in this film and when she appeared, I really did laugh out loud.

I just hadn't watched THUNDERBALL in many moons and thought I'd give it another spin. Being the first Panavision Bond and the first Bond DVD with a surround track, I wanted to experience it anew.

Jason

« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2005, 08:43:48 PM »

I'm home! Finally! I waited nearly 30 minutes for the N train to show up to bring me home. By the time it DID show, I was completely soaked through and dripping with sweat because it was 5000 degrees in that subway tunnel and the humidity is that of a rainforest. I'm now sucking down a good deal of iced tea to cool off and rehydrate.

As DR Jose said, he and I had a loverly time at the movies and at Magnolia Bakery, though I did lead him a bit astray in finding it. Good thing he's leading the walking tour and not me!!

I highly recommend "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" to anyone who's into creepy, creepy movies. I don't think Jose and I moved a centimeter during the actual exorcism scenes. I really can't remember the last time I've been sucked so completely into a movie. It was quite a ride. And Laura Linney is GORGEOUS.

Oh...and Jose: Did you remember to lick the stamp? (Night letter!) Did you remember to slap the flap? (Night letter!) Did you remember to mark it S. W. A. T!

hehehe....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 08:46:55 PM by Jason »

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2005, 08:44:51 PM »

The next time the three earlier Bonds are released on DVD (which might be on high definition Blu-Ray DVDs), those first three will have surround tracks, too.

I caught a showing of DR. NO on one of the Encore channels, and it was outfitted with a wide ranging, very loud surround track. The DVD I have now is mono only.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up