Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIES OF FRANCE  (Read 89497 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FRIES OF FRANCE
« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2005, 09:10:14 PM »

Well, it's after midnight on the East Coast, so I'm off to bed.

Look forward to reading more comments about the Emmys tomorrow.

Good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2005, 09:10:31 PM »

The Tony hosting that jackman won the award for was his first time hosting when he was nominated for THE BOY FROM OZ. He sang and danced through the whole show, and did that ad-lib segment with Sarah Jessica Parker. He was brilliant on the show that night, and I was delighted he won.
No, the first time Jackman hosted was the year before, which is why he had the ridiculous hair that he wore for the film Van Helsing, then filming.  They mentioned at the time that he would soon be appearing in The Boy From Oz.  Fortunately, he was asked to return the next year, for which he just won the Emmy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2005, 09:11:06 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 13 Dance!![/move]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2005, 09:11:10 PM »

David Letterman - at last, someone I know and like.

The tribute to Johnny Carson was very nice.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2005, 09:12:29 PM »

Finally, a show I know: The Johnny Carson Show.

It is amazing that the best thing on the Emmy show is Johnny Carson - such timing, style, and class.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2005, 09:12:59 PM »

I am enjoying the running commentary! Please let me know if they show Brian Kelly during the "they died this year" section.
They indeed did.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2005, 09:13:06 PM »

I do like Ellen, though.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2005, 09:17:58 PM »

What in tarnation is this awful thing they keep showing called the Ali G. show?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2005, 09:18:15 PM »

What's The Daily Show?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2005, 09:20:02 PM »

What's Arrested Development?

Thank the Lord for TCM and DVD.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2005, 09:25:21 PM »

I don't know what CSI is.
Cloned Sexy Investigators.

That's why there's three of the shows.

George

« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2005, 09:25:44 PM »

I've never seen "Arrested Development" or "The Ali G. Show" but "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" is a hilarious fake news show on Comedy Central.  It's definitely worth watching...in my humble opinion. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2005, 09:26:28 PM »

What's Arrested Development?
The New Programming departments at all the broadcast networks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2005, 09:27:50 PM »

What's House?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2005, 09:34:46 PM »

Hey, I actually saw something that won an Emmy - The Life and Death of Peter Sellers.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #375 on: September 18, 2005, 09:38:14 PM »

What's House?
House is a very well written and acted drama, where Hugh Laurie plays a doctor who solves medical mysteries while popping painkillers that make him sound American.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #376 on: September 18, 2005, 09:41:49 PM »

Never heard of it.

Did HBO pay someone for all these Peter Sellers wins?  Honestly - Geoffrey Rush was terrific.  Fine.  But the script and direction were poor, really poor.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2005, 09:43:06 PM »

I must wussburger, as der B and I have a feast to prepare tomorrow, which won't be appreciated but that's the way things go.  We also still have some shopping to do.

One last thought about the Emmys, however.  I think the reason so many actors/actresses/shows win year after year is because the voters are afraid to admit they themselves haven't watched any of the shows in the current year, and hope that no one will notice that they're just apeing what has happened before.

Bleh.

Jason

« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2005, 09:43:09 PM »

Evenin', all...

I'm back from my LION KING experience. I must say that while it is the most visually stunning thing I've ever seen on a stage, I wasn't moved by it. The actors were trying - really they were - but I think the combination of 40-pound headdresses and 9 years of the same overblown kiddie show, they were just going through the motions. Still, you can't help but gasp when you see all those "animals" onstage. Or when the strange Chippendale hyenas do their dance special. I didn't quite get why those five were shirtless, sexy hyenas, but it certainly perked up a select portion of the audience.

After the movie, I decided that I did not wish to return to the apartment and the drivel, so I got myself a ticket to see "Cry_Wolf," which I had figured out in the first 10 minutes. Still, it was a fun, mindless on-campus horror flick, so that was fun.

Now I'm home. I've been catching up on the notes and I'm terribly curious to check out the Emmy winners list now that I've read all of your comments. I already know who won Best Actress in a Comedy (thanks to AOL), so now it's time to read the rest...

Oh! DR Jose: Olivia Newton-John, October 11, Nokia Theatre. The tickets are $44.50. Still interested?? I am!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #379 on: September 18, 2005, 09:48:25 PM »

I think we're going to make 400 postings, that is if we all don't sit there like so much fish.

I ate interesting food today.  I wanted to take it easy because of last night's fries and ranch dressing attack.  So, I had two bagels, about five ounces of smoked turkey, and some chocolate chip ice cream.  That's it.  Not too bad.  Except that I'm hungry.

Cillaliz

« Reply #380 on: September 18, 2005, 09:53:14 PM »

I just finished some cherry ice cream with bordeaux cherries and chocolate pieces. Yummy

Jason

« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2005, 09:53:19 PM »

I have a question for DR Rodzinski:

I know that Playbill bought out Stagebill, but why is it that the "Playbill" for THE LION KING is called "Showbill?" I find that to be curious. I figured since you work for Playbill, you might know the answer...

Cillaliz

« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2005, 09:53:44 PM »

I actually liked Empire Falls better than the Peter Sellers movie

Cillaliz

« Reply #383 on: September 18, 2005, 09:55:21 PM »

I just noticed I'm over 800 posts! Good heavens, I didn't realize I've posted that many

td

• td
« Reply #384 on: September 18, 2005, 09:55:40 PM »

Even though I don't watch TV (network, that is) much, I knew of the shows and the actors simply from reading the postings on this marvelous site, EW and sadly, the revamped TV GUIDE.

I liked seeing Flicka with Bill Shatner, and she was definitely in fine voice and into the moment.

I know that my choice for best drama series won, or, if you're on the west coast, will win. . .

The show itself, aside from the lovely tributes to Carson and to the newscasters, was dullsville - so I popped Langella's DRACULA into the dvd player, and watched the dreadful documentary. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #385 on: September 18, 2005, 09:55:54 PM »

I'm sure they were ALL better than the Peter Sellers movie - it was awful except for Rush and Charlize Theron.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #386 on: September 18, 2005, 09:56:11 PM »

I think Pogue is still in ROME.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #387 on: September 18, 2005, 09:56:30 PM »

I should have watched another spaghetti western.

George

« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »

I'm eating a vanilla mini-ice cream sandwich and afterwards I'm going to eat a chocolate mini-ice cream sandwich.  Quite good...and only 100 calories each!  Of course, when you eat more than one, it adds up to more than 100 calories. ::)

td

• td
« Reply #389 on: September 18, 2005, 10:03:15 PM »

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up