Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROUSING NOTES  (Read 81754 times)

Ben

Re:THE ROUSING NOTES
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 07:30:04 AM »

And now, ladies and germs (I'll be here all week)

Page 2

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 07:32:50 AM »

Question for NYC DRs:  Is anyone familiar with the Mint Theater Company on 43rd St?  Specifically, I just became aware of their about-to-open production of Dawn Powell's Walking Down Broadway and I'm thinking about trying to see it on Oct. 4.  Dawn Powell is an Ohio-born author for whom I've recently developed a fascination.

Here' s the website for the theater company:

www.minttheater.org
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005, 07:34:45 AM »

Toiletry check:

Re toothpaste:  Skip came back from a trip having discovered orange-flavored Crest toothpaste.  It was great-tasting, even made brushing something to look forward to.  But at least on my heavy-tartar-generating teeth, I started noticing brown patches on my teeth after a few weeks.  I assume the toothpaste was not CAUSING the brown patches, it just wasn't countering the effect of any foods or drink that were staining my teeth.  I went back to Crest whitening toothpaste about a week ago - brushing is no longer fun (as it was with the orange toothpaste), but the brown patches have started to fade.

I love the original Listerine; my dentist recommends it, and I feel as if the unpleasantness is doing something for me, because since I started using it, the hygienist has been saying my teeth are easier to clean.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2005, 07:38:14 AM »

I'm sleepy and off to bed shortly.

Wondering about what record album DR MBarnum tryed to post... ???

Good night, ALL!
Have a beautiful day!

Jason

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2005, 07:38:19 AM »

I use Colgate toothpaste. Irish Spring bar soap. Nomad shower gel (from Crabtree & Evelyn) when I want to be fancy. Or when I can afford it. I have 14,000 half-empty bottles of shampoo and/or conditioner. Right now I'm using Fructis. I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub to exfoliate and The Body Shop's men's facial wash. I have to keep myself looking good for when I make my return to the stage. ;)

I have several colognes, too - Burberry, Nomad (yes, like the shower gel), Very Sexy for Him by Vickie's Secret, and a few others I can't remember right now, but I only do a couple of squirts. Too much of a good thing is vomitous.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2005, 07:53:07 AM »

TOD:

Shampoo:  I generally buy the cheap Suave stuff, mostly because I like the variety of scents they use--Citrus, Peach, Mango, Waterfalls (I don't know if that's what a waterfall is supposed to smell like, I do like it.)

Soap:  DR MBarnum's favorite--Irish Spring.  Also use glycerin soap bought from The Body Shop for my face

Toothpaste:  I've never used anything else in my life but Crest.

Deodorant:  Pretty much stick to Degree.  Again, I like their scents.

Cologne:  For the most part, colognes don't last on me at all.  I'll put some on and an hour or so later the scent is gone.  One exception is Grey Flannel, which does manage to linger on me for hours on end (and I get complimented on it a lot, too!)

At a yard sale years ago, I bought a sealed bottle of Hai-Karate, which I've been keeping on my dresser just for display.  Late last year, a friend crack it open and splashed some on.  We both discovered that there is validity to the suggestion that you store colognes out of direct light.  Phew!

All in all, though, I'm not what you could call a metrosexual.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2005, 07:59:09 AM »

Ginny, Mint Theatre is an excellent company. I would recommend seeing the show. I haven't seen it yet. They focus on little known and forgotten work from the early part of the century. They are in a hole in the wall space on 43rd Street on the 5th floor of a non-theatre building, just west of 8th Avenue (across the street from a Ben and Jerry's, yummm!).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2005, 08:05:31 AM »

Right now I'm using Fructis.

DR Jason, I have a half used bottle of Fructis in my hallway closet.  I bought it primarily for the neat looking radio/flashlight that came free with purchase.

I used the shampoo and I have to admit that it did make my hair feel stronger and more managable (I have extremely fine hair.)  But in warmer weather, using the shampoo makes me feel like I have some kind of plastic coating on my head.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2005, 08:06:02 AM »

Danise, I'm sure you already know this but just in case, here's information about Mr. Ball's new CD:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/95194.html

Also, I'm excited, Graham Norton is coming to New York! He's so funny. For the month of October he will be at a theatre in the Village. I have to decide when to see him.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2005, 08:13:16 AM »

Good morning!

Much too humid here to walk this morning though I did run down the block to drop a letter in the mailbox and run back. I'll do some treadmill later today. I also did my usual 45 minutes on the workout machine.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2005, 08:14:42 AM »

I watched THE VIKINGS a few months ago and I remember Charles Pogue commenting about how much he liked it when I was talking about it.

Like bk, I hadn't seen it in many decades, and it was much fun revisiting it. Love that score!

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 08:17:51 AM »

Topic of the day:

Toothpaste - Aim

Deodorant - Power Stick by Brut (I can only find it now at Wal-Mart; every place else has stopped selling it).

Shampoo - White Rain

Soap - Dial most days but once a week I use a body wash like Suave's Ocean Breeze.

cologne - only use it on very special occasions: CK One.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 08:18:33 AM »

After I finsh THE SPITFIRE GRILL, I'm going to pull SPIDER-MAN 2 off the shelf and rewatch it. Want to see what it looks like on the bigger TV.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 08:19:42 AM »

I will watch last night's MEDIUM at some point today.

Did anyone watch it last night and have any comments to make? (no spoilers) Thanks.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2005, 08:20:54 AM »

I have 14,000 half-empty bottles of shampoo and/or conditioner.

Huzzah!  I'm not the only one who suffers from this condition.  Although a larger percentage of my half-empty bottles are lotion.  I'm on a never-ending quest for The Perfect Lotion, that combines the right scent and effect on my skin.  The search continues.

Shampoo/Conditioner - I can generally use whatever shampoo is within reach, or on sale, but conditioner HAS to be Pantene Smooth and Sleek, or my hair just doesn't feel right.  I've got pretty long hair, as anyone who's met me will atest to, and I'm rather picky about keeping it clean.  

Body Wash - Whatever's on sale.  I haven't yet found one that I love enough to keep buying it

Toothpaste - Colgate Total + Whitening

Perfume - I have a body spray from Bath/Bodyworks that I LOVE, but I only use it occasionally because it's out of stock. It's called Winter Apple.  I sometimes used to wear Journey, by Mary Kay, but I lost tbe bottle now.  I don't usually do a lot with scents.  I work with infants, who are sensitive to them, and as choral singer, I've just learned it's best to avoid them.  

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2005, 08:22:47 AM »

Tonight will be the second episodes of BONES and SUPERNATURAL. I had read that the WB plans to rebroadcast SUPERNATURAL each week on Sunday, but the listings for this coming Sunday do not show it, so if I want to see it, I'd better record/tape it tonight.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »

I can't tell you how many bottles of conditioner I have in my closet that I bought thinking that they were shampoo.

Actually, I could tell you, but I won't.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2005, 08:25:23 AM »

Also tonight is the premiere of one of the most lauded of the new comedies: MY NAME IS EARL on NBC. Like the other shows I'm interested in sampling, I will give it three shots to impress me. I also like THE OFFICE which comes on after it.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2005, 08:27:13 AM »

Oh Colgate Total Toothpaste  + Whitening
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2005, 08:27:21 AM »

Argh! More hot days. The cooler temperatures which were to come in on Thursday aren't arriving until the weekend now. They keep pushing back the arrival of coller weather.

Other parts of the country are already enjoying cooler temps, but not us!

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2005, 08:29:02 AM »

Any of you saavy theatre types able to tell me what the word is on The Color Purple, the Musical?  

I did like the movie but, I wonder if it the score will be  be a series of "songs to kill yourself by" as it's such a sad story

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 08:35:57 AM by vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2005, 08:29:26 AM »

Very disappointed to read that THE COMEBACK, Lisa Kudrow's comedy series on HBO is not going to have a second season.

I think it's a boneheaded move on HBO's part as the show was starting to get richer in character and much funnier in its last two or three episodes. It had really found its niche, but now, it's over. Not a happy person about this.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2005, 08:29:52 AM »

Also tonight is the premiere of one of the most lauded of the new comedies: MY NAME IS EARL on NBC. Like the other shows I'm interested in sampling, I will give it three shots to impress me. I also like THE OFFICE which comes on after it.

DR Matt, didn't Entertainment Weekly have a DVD of EARL's first episode about two weeks ago?  I didn't watch it (nor the EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS DVD that was in this week's issue.)
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2005, 08:30:08 AM »

Argh! More hot days.

On a hot summer night, would you offer your neck to the wolf with the red roses?

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2005, 08:33:35 AM »

I also have 14,000 bottles of shampoo and conditionor around as the Vixter loves all the fruit scents that Suave comes in and is constantly experimenting.
Every day it's a debate, will she smell like strawberries and cream, or blueberries, or mango or melon or peach or apple or, or, or.... ?
 ::)
(What'll happen when she's a teenager?!)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 08:34:23 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2005, 08:34:51 AM »

And now, ladies and germs (I'll be here all week)

Page 2
and we're glad of it! :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2005, 08:34:54 AM »

Any of you saavy thestre types abe to tell me what the word is on The Color Purple, the Musical?  

I did like the movie but I wonder if it'll be a series of "songs to kill yourself by" as it's such a sad story

DR Vixmom, head to colorpurple.com.  There's a lot of info plus two songs to download.  I kind of liked the one for Shug but I don't care for Celie's title song.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2005, 08:34:59 AM »

Oh..I disagree!! I think "The Color Purple" is one of the most inspiring stories of triumph over seemingingly endless setbacks, so it's hard for me to call it a sad story. There are sad occurances, to be sure, but I find it to be one of the most satisfying stories around.

I overheard a reading of the musical at Chelsea Studios about a year and a half ago. It sounded fabulous. There are a couple of songs available to download on the show's website, which I believe you can also access through Playbill.com.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2005, 08:35:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: EMBRASURE!

I've known some wind players with really good embrasure!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2005, 08:41:01 AM »

And yesterday was Frances' birthday.  Haven't finished yesterday's posts, maybe JR mentioned it.

Here's your FF picture of the year:

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up