Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ACID REFLUX  (Read 105846 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ACID REFLUX
« on: September 24, 2005, 12:10:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have given you acid reflux, you're now tripping out, and hence it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're tripping on some choice acid reflux in Haight-Ashbury.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 12:34:05 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ACID REFLUX
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »

And the word of the day is: RUBESCENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 12:15:19 AM »

Jose, the jernt next to Bob's Big Boy is Mo's.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 12:38:57 AM »

It's the cokes, BK.  All them damned cokes will give you acid reflux.  I had two at dinner tonight.  I have acid reflux.

I found INSERTS an interesting curiosity at the time and really need to see it again.

My friend Pat (whom you know,BK) have this debate all the time about which is better THE SEARCHERS or LIBERTY VALANCE.  I'm definitely a SEARCHERS man; in fact, it took me awhile to see what Pat saw in this movie...but if you get past the fact that booth Stewart and Wayne are too old for their roles and, as you say, the lengthy election sequence after Liberty's been shot (where Ford's comedy stylings are a little tired and you have Edmond O' Brien channeling Thomas Mitchell as Doc Boone from STAGECOACH), there is a rather resonant and hauntingly bleak film and vision of the West.  It's not THE SEARCHERS; but it's a much deeper film than I originally thought.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 12:40:49 AM »

We used to take great field trips in school:  To the Natural History Museum; Art Museum; nature hikes; the theatre.  I saw my first real play (Beauty & The Beast) when I was in fourth grade.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 12:50:25 AM »

Those who've read Benjamin Kritzer (and who hasn't) know that my field trip to the tuna canning factory was memorable.  I also went to the museum, and to the Philharmonic Auditorium where we saw a rehearsal of a Gilbert and Sullivan show, if I remember correctly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 12:52:20 AM »

Yes, I'm much more Searchers than Liberty Valance.  There's just something about The Searchers that is unlike any other movie ever made.  Liberty is a good yarn, well told, except for that sequence at the end, which I'd simply cut right out of the film, as the film is a bit overlong at close to 125 minutes.  Funnily, one of the most famous things about the movie is the song by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, sung by Gene Pitney.  It appears nowhere in the film.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 12:53:21 AM »

I think during my roaming around hours I shall go into the West of Wood.  I may even try to get in early to The Apple Pan and have a burger.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 01:04:21 AM »

Now that I've caught up on last night's posts...there are a couple of restaurants here in Olympia that have a sort of "Hawaiian" burger, which has slices of ham and pineapple on the beef.  Both are quite delicious ... except one place has sprouts as one of the toppings. :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 01:08:33 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 01:32:31 AM »

THE SEARCHERS all the way.  I have only seen LIBERTY VALANCE on broadcast television and never all the way through, so I can't say what I think of it.

Field trips!  I am from Indiana, I live in a field.  BUT:

First one:  The Mooresville Fire Dept.  We walked downtown and saw the fire engine and heard the sirens and got to stand on the truck.

Second one:  We walked downtown to the movie theatre owned by a classmate and were shown a movie.  KIM with Errol Flynn & Guy Stockwell.  It was several years old by then, but it was FREE!

Others - to the planetarium.  To Clowes Hall to see a Spanish dance troupe.  To the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago.

The trivia question once again is leading me to DEAD ENDS.  Grrrr.

HOWEVER, I do now have Rhapsody Radio on my computer and am choosing some stations I like!  Very nice.  AND IT'S FREE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 02:13:30 AM »

"The Searchers" provided the inspiration for "That'll Be The Day" (The Crickets) and the for the name of the English pop group. Other than that the film had zero impact on me. I do remember "Liberty Valance" along with "One Eyed Jacks" as being two of the few westerns I ever cared for.  (the fact that both films inspired title songs not used in the movies may be significant!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 02:14:59 AM »

"Field trips" - most I remember were from years as a teacher.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 04:29:35 AM »

Good morning DR Ben.
Goodnight.

Today was one of the biggest Sporting fixtures in Australia - Final of Australian Rules Football.
"I Still Call Australia Home" was sung by the talented and amazingly understated as always, Dame Edna.
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 04:56:59 AM »

Field trips: I only remember going to the zoo and the botanical garden.

But my kids' first grade teacher LOVED field trips and her class went on one about every month. I was one of the moms who went on every one as a chaperone. I think my favorite was to the ballet.

I miss field trips (sometimes). I volunteered to go as a chaperone with my ten-year-old buddy's class whenever they go on one. That should be fun: an entire class of hyperactive kids.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 04:57:25 AM »

This morning I am going hiking before it gets too hot.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 05:04:12 AM »

Me thinks my name appears after I leave this here site. I was not here when Tom proffered his morning (evening) greeting but my name still appeared, I think. That's the trouble with staying logged in forever. You don't have to sign in but when you leave your name often stays up unless you close your browser so people think you're just hangin' around like so much fish.

Last night we watched two episodes of Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By courtesy of Channel 21 WLIW, Long Island's public television station. This was after a dinner of fresh green beans (bought at the Greenmarket on Wednesday), wild rice and pork chops marinated in a honey mustard glaze. We each had a piece of pumpkin raisin bread (also from the Greenmarket) after dinner.

I'm seeing Mia Farrow tonight. I'll look for Woody in disguise.

I must get back to work.

Hello to Tom and others who might think I'm here but I'm not cause I'm leaving to go back (where I can be me...no) to the George S. and Dolores Dore Eccles Foundation.

Bye!

FJL

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 06:43:02 AM »

My favorite field trip in school was to see THE GLASS MENAGERIE starring Maureen Stapleton.  After the show, there was a talkback for the students, and she came out in a bathrobe and chatted with us.

Second favorite was when we went to see THE LADY FROM THE SEA starring Vanessa Redgrave, and Ms. Redgrave came out and talked to us.  The production was not very good, but the experience of getting to have Ms. Redgrave answer our questions was quite exciting.  She did give us misleading info as to why a certain critic (Martin Gottfried) was barred from the Circle in the Square Theatre, claiming that Gottfried hadn't given the Circle in the Square a good review in years.  We Yeshivah of Flatbush theater queens knew that wasn't true, but of course none of us was going to challenge Ms. Redgrave.

I'm also having no luck with the trivia question this week, not even a lead after two hours of working on it.  :(

td

• td
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 06:47:23 AM »

I mentioned INSERTS last week, when I had rented it from Netflix.  The dvd is the international cut of the film, lasting ten to twelve minutes longer.  I was curious as to what the major differences were, as I had only seen INSERTS on its initial release (it played right down the street from THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL, which was housed at The Strand, while INSERTS held court at The King's Court, both on Forbes Avenue, both now sadly defunct).  I was highly ambivalent about INSERTS then, even now I wouldn't really place it high on my list, BUT it does contain fine characterizations from all concerned.  Ms. Cartwright truly broke away from THE BIRDS and had fine work coming her way in ALIEN and THE X FILES.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

FJL

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 07:41:07 AM »

BK wrote in the notes to get off our butt cheeks and make an attempt at the trivia contest.  But the irony is that this one has kept me ON my butt cheeks for longer than any question since the Columbo question.

Oh well, I'm now getting off my butt cheeks for a while and heading off to Mom's belated birthday celebration.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 07:41:38 AM »

Good morning!

Cool enough early morning air led me out on my usual walk, but just like yesterday, the sun came out blazingly enough to make the last third of the walk kind of miserable.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 07:42:37 AM »

I've never seen INSERTS so I can't comment on it, but I have always thought Veronica Cartwright an underrated actress.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 07:44:07 AM »

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALENCE is only a few minutes longer than THE SEARCHERS, but it has always seemed TWICE as long to me.

To be fair, I have only seen it once on TV many years ago with commercials interrupting it. I'm sure I need to give it another chance.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 07:44:58 AM »

And talking about THE SEARCHERS made me realize that I don't have a DVD of it, so I will have to "search" around the internet today to see if I can find one reasonably priced.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2005, 07:49:24 AM »

I've always wanted to see INSERTS since I am a Jessica Harper fan.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005, 07:51:25 AM »

Yes, I was surprised when I saw LIBERTY VALANCE just how little the song even relates to the motion picture.
There are a few cases like this though. Movie songs that have very little to do with the movie, other than the title.
Another Gene Pitney one, TOWN WITHOUT PITY, for instance.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2005, 07:56:37 AM »

Movie I watched last night was LENNY on the Sundance channel. Really excellent piece of filmmaking. Hoffman, who is an actor I had lost faith in, gives just an unbelievable performance in my opinion. In the performance sequences, he just does not appear to be acting AT ALL. And Madge, from the Palmolive commercials does well as his mother. No soundtrack music other than the music at the clubs. Great stuff.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 08:04:23 AM »

Greatest field trip: We drove from Indiana to Dearborn, Michigan, where the Henry Ford Museum is. There are dozens of reasons this was a great trip. A few:

1. I led the bus in rousing choruses of John Denver's "Calypso"
2. We got to stay overnight, so that was a big deal.
3. We watched Laurel and Hardy films before dinner.
4. The museum had a whole section devoted to old cylninder recordings.
5. The museum had the bloody chair in which Lincoln was shot.
6. At night, we went back into the darkened museum and had a scavenger hunt, which was really spooky and fun.
7. Then we went to nearby Greenfield Village.
8.  On the way home, a surprise stop-off for a tour of the Kellogg's factory in Battle Creek where they gave us all a box of frosted flakes.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005, 08:05:08 AM »

And that's enough of me for now!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2005, 08:05:54 AM »

I've got the DVD of LENNY on my to-watch shelf. Always loved the movie.

"Madge," of course, was actress Jan Miner. When I saw the revival of THE WOMEN in NYC in the mid-1970s, she played the Countess de Lage, and even with big stars like Alexis Smith, Dorothy Loudon, Rhonda Fleming, Kim Hunter, and Myrna Loy, she got every bit as big a hand and maybe even a bigger hand than some. Folks might not have known her name, but she was instantly recognizable from those Palmolive commercials.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 08:06:53 AM by Matt H. »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2005, 08:09:38 AM »

Confession:
As a child, I thought Madge was Eve Arden.

There, I said it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up