Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITE LIKE THE WIND  (Read 35214 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:WRITE LIKE THE WIND
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2005, 08:21:30 AM »

I saw a good bit of the film I HEART HUCKABEES last night on the cable. I didn't see it in the theatre because it sounded like it was trying too hard to be quirky, but after seeing it, it is actually quite good. The chosen milieu is such a strange thing to build a movie around, and it was well-acted, so the quirkiness seemed genuine, the strangeness pleasant and subtle. I missed the first 15 minutes or so, so I will have to see the rest.

Danise

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2005, 08:25:54 AM »

Morning all!

Joan Crawford.  Err-sorry to say I can't even think of one movie of hers.

I am so enjoying that feeder box I put up.  We have more birds and squirrels then we can count!  And they are all so very cute.  
We're even starting to get some "regulars".  I would so miss all of my animal friends if I ever moved from here.  

I'm also happy to say that the four o'clocks I planted are doing very well and I'm getting my flowers back (but still no YELLOW).  I discovered I have the very light, light almost white pink flowers the other day.  :)

Got a lot of chores done yesterday.  The grocery shopping, the lawn cut and the porch blown clean.  

Today I shall finish packing and clean up around the house.

To much excitment.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2005, 08:29:10 AM »

Thanks for posting that info about the wonderful Tommy Bond. I had not read it elsewhere, and I'm very sorry to see him leave us.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2005, 08:31:15 AM »

If the transfer of THE BOSTONIANS is actually as bad as its first impression gave me last night, I may simply rip it out of the player and in honor of today's lady for a day (a May Robson reference), put in a Joan Crawford movie, either on tape, laserdisc, or DVD.

I'm leaning toward GOODBYE, MY FANCY.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2005, 08:44:11 AM »

Good morning, DRs Danise and MattH!
Have a beautiful day!!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 08:44:41 AM »

I'm glad to know you returned home safe and sound, DR JANE.
Look forward to seeing photos from the trip!

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 08:48:13 AM »

Good moirning, DR Hisaka!

Didn't mean to ignore you. I was jumping around to other sites on the internet!

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2005, 08:49:16 AM »

And now it looks like I need to start prepping for lunch.

WBBL.

Danise

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2005, 08:49:36 AM »

Me too!  I'm sorry DR Hisaka.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 08:50:16 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2005, 08:50:07 AM »

I’ll be in Los Angeles in five days!
Hope to see the California Blue Sky during my stay over there…according to the World Weather Forecast, it'll rain on 30th Sept. I’ll arrive. :-\

Danise

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2005, 08:55:13 AM »

Have a wonderful time!  I'll be leaving for NYC on Oct 1st.    :)

Guess what I saw in todays Money Sense section of the paper?  An artical about BollyWood.  I guess no one here would be interested in having it.  I could pack it to take with me to give to someone or I could mail it.  Any takers?
 ;)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2005, 09:02:42 AM »

Never mind, DRs Manise and  MattH! Happy to see you both in this late night(1:00 Tokyo time)
And I always am impolite, even though I don't mean it...because my English (slow, slow, slow...)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2005, 09:09:53 AM »

Thank you, DR Danise.
You too! Have a great time in NYC. Take care of yourself and Do Not catch a cold during your stay there.

Danise

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2005, 09:12:45 AM »

How long are you staying in LA, DR Hisaka?  

I'm packing a coat as a "Just in Case".  I know that most peoples idea of "cool" is my idea of "Freezing cold".
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2005, 09:37:16 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

I stayed up quite late, comparing the transfers, new and old, on the Hitch sets.  Since there was no one here to share the information with, I went to bed.

I will say that it's nice to have the enhanced Vertigo and Psycho, but neither looks very good - I believe they used the old elements and just enhanced them, rather than making a new master from whatever negs they have.  And the Vertigo color is the same as the older DVD, on the brownish side, and in no way resembles what the IB Tech prints of this film looked like (I owned one and I know).  The good news is that Vertigo has its original mono track, and that forever shows just how bad the remix was.  Psycho is overtly grainy and there's no reason on earth it should be.  It's not terrible, but if Lowry or one of those companies had done some work on it, it would look great.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2005, 09:41:01 AM »

The good news is that Topaz, Torn Curtain, The Trouble With Harry, Marnie, and The Birds, all look better to my eye anyway.  They're all brighter transfers, all are sharper, and all have truer colors, especially Torn Curtain and The Birds, the two most improved in the set.  In the case of The Birds, it looks like the element might have been cleaned up.  The others probably use the old elements but they're just improved in the transfer stage.

The menus and extras are exactly the same as the old set.  I'm always happy to upgrade, but Universal really should have gone the extra mile with this set and had Lowry or whoever do the work necessary.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2005, 09:50:16 AM »

WELCOME HOME,

DR JANE (AND KEITH)!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2005, 09:52:42 AM »

What's wrong with that?  ;)

There are those to whom position is a natural-born condition.  ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2005, 10:10:52 AM »

Friday, der Brucer and I headed over to the Eastern Shore immediately after I got off work, for grandladsitting.  His daughter and s-i-l had a wake to attend, although when we got there they were in no hurry to leave.  (This is after we had dashed across the peninsula, a ninety minute drive.  Which will factor in later.)  Parents told us they would probably be back in two hours, tops, and they were out of the house by eight.

The lads were great, and we let them stay up much later than we should have.  But we got them to bed, and then began to wait for the parents to return.

And we waited.

And we waited.

And finally, the parents returned.

It was already past midnight.

Mind, this is der B's daughter, who regularly is screaming at people within five minutes of returning home.  This is the daughter who gets upset with der B and I if we don't call and keep her posted if we're on the road and going to be late to ladsit.

I waited until she was seated on the couch, and then I told her off.  I didn't raise my voice, but I did remind her that neither her father nor I had had dinner yet.  That it would take us ninety minutes to get home, and then the extra time for me to cook our dinners.  And that I had to go to work the next day.

The daughter just stared at me, dumbfounded.  Could I actually be accusing her of being in the wrong about something?

We left shortly after.  Der B hasn't told me whether she's tried to contact him since then.

I'll try to catch up with the posts here after I get back from work tonight.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2005, 10:14:34 AM »

On the other hand, we did pick up the Season One set of Desperate Housewives.  Since we missed it when it was first being aired, it's fun to watch it now, one episode per night.

What I want to try is to tape the episodes as they air this season, then watch them when we've caught up with the discs.  It makes more sense than watching everything out of order.

Time to go to work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2005, 10:24:17 AM »

AOL ladies and gentlemen - will not connect to the Internet.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2005, 10:33:22 AM »

Hands down, the best Joan Crawford for me is GRAND HOTEL...when she was still naturall both in looks and manner...and hadn't yet become the affected, arch, over-painted "star".

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2005, 10:39:49 AM »

Have a wonderful time!  I'll be leaving for NYC on Oct 1st.    :)

Guess what I saw in todays Money Sense section of the paper?  An artical about BollyWood.  I guess no one here would be interested in having it.  I could pack it to take with me to give to someone or I could mail it.  Any takers?
 ;)

Well...ahem...I could always use some reading material for my flight back to Oregon  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2005, 10:43:10 AM »

Tommy Bond was at the Ray Courts show in July. He was such a nice guy, and his wife was very sweet also. I was very sorry to hear of his passing :'(

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2005, 10:44:02 AM »

Favorite Joan Crawford movies:

STRAIGH JACKET
I SAW WHAT YOU DID
MILDRED PIERCE
FEMALE ON THE BEACH

Michael

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2005, 11:09:55 AM »

I am giving up on the trivia. I just can;t sit long enough to look for the answer. The back still hurts. I had a few ideas immediatly but they did not pan out.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2005, 11:21:41 AM »

Trivia: Have I finally stumped all you people?  Hahahahahahahaha.

I could give a clew, but then, I think if you really look at the question and the way some of it is phrased, you might just get a clew.

Today is a day when no one wants to be around me - I reek of garlic.  Brushing teeth, using Scope, none of it helps.  There were about forty slices of sauteed garlic on my steak last night.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2005, 11:40:12 AM »

I will now hie myself to Walmart and Leowe's.  How is that for breaking news.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2005, 12:34:28 PM »

Hands down, the best Joan Crawford for me is GRAND HOTEL...when she was still naturall both in looks and manner...and hadn't yet become the affected, arch, over-painted "star".

I love this movie...and I love the score to the musical (I've never seen it performed, though).

I looked up Joan's listing on IMBd.com and the very first (meaning last, chronologically) listing was a made-for-TV movie "Beyond the Water's Edge" where she played a character named Allison Hayes!  Is she playing thee Allison Hayes...the actress?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2005, 12:36:52 PM »

As for Joan's other movies, I looked at the list of movies that she made (on IMDb) and I really don't think that I've seen any other movie that she's made...at least not all the way throught.  I have seen clips of many of them, but not whole movies.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up