Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITE LIKE THE WIND  (Read 35012 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:WRITE LIKE THE WIND
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2005, 12:38:24 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]PAGE THREE DANCE!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2005, 12:50:05 PM »

Forget Scope - Listerine, baby, Listerine.

That reminds me of the Totie Fields joke about the garlic diet.  You don't have to chnage your eating habits, just eat loads of garlic with every meal.    No, you don't lose any weight, but you do look thinner from a distance.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2005, 12:57:23 PM »

What is this, a holiday weekend?  This is most unseemly and I shall now go eat some worms.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2005, 12:58:41 PM »

Watching The Lawless Street, with Randolph Scott.  I don't mean I'm watching it WITH Randy, but he's the star of the movie.  I love Randy, and the film is directed by one of my favorite b-movie helmers, Joseph H. Lewis, so it's quite enjoyable.  Angela Lansbury, looking very fetching, is the leading lady.

FJL

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2005, 12:58:47 PM »

Speaking of the page three dance - I just got back from an engagement party for someone in the office.  It was a great party, great (although kosher) food, about 250 people but all of us from the office seemed to gravitate towards each other at one table.  The lady I share my office with was, until a few weeks ago, laid up with a broken ankle, hobbling around the office with a cane.  Today at the party, she was a real life of the party, bouncing around mingling like a true mingler, hora-ing (that's Jewish dancing) to beat the band.  We're all praying she didn't do damage to her ankle again, especially since this is one of the busiest months of our year tax-wise.    Interesting to see someone you know and share a room with in a different environment than usual.  I never would have expected her to be such a social butterfly.  Live and learn.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2005, 01:02:45 PM »

I can't think of anyone on this site who is MORE polite, sweet, and genuine than DR Hisaka.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Los Angeles, and we'll all be interested in hearing your account of your travels.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2005, 01:08:13 PM »

I've had a busy afternoon with two DVDs.

First up was THE BOSTONIANS, and all I can say is that someone should hang his head in shame for this transfer being so mediocre.

First off, it's a full frame transfer and that in itself is inexcusable. Obviously a videotape master was simply ported over to DVD, and the murky quality of the color and the general blurriness of medium and long shots give it away.

This is a PRESTIGE picture, a Merchant-Ivory production with a cast that includes Vanessa Redgrave (who was Oscar nominated for this performance), Jessica Tandy, Christopher Reeve, Linda Hunt, and Nancy Marchand (among many other familar faces like Wallace Shawn and Barbara Byrne).

And yet it's treated like some third rate, Z-rated cheapie with lackluster packaging and a zero quality transfer.

I watched it all, but I was gnashing my teeth the entire time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2005, 01:08:25 PM »

Joan's character was named Allison Hayes in that TV movie made in 1972, five years before Allison's demise, and the IMDB doesn't list any writing or directing or producing credits, so I don't know if there is any connection.  I assume someone on the creative team did it on purpose.

Nancy Allen's character in The Philadelphia Experiment was named Allison Hayes as well, although the director has said he DID use Allison's name on purpose because he always enjoyed her screen persona.

That is all I know.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2005, 01:08:43 PM »

Hello.

TOD: Mildred Pierce and Whatever Happened To Baby Jane are the two that first pop into my mind.

I vaguely remember an old movie I saw a long, long time ago which I believe starred  Joan Crawford. It was quite a good movie as well, although I cannot now remember the title..

The plot was Joan Crawford (if it was indeed she) played identical twin sisters.  One had married the others sweetheart (a very wealthy man) years ago, leaving the heartbroken twin to become a  bitter,  penniless old maid.  The man dies and leaves everything to his wife.  The poor twin kills the rich twin and takes her place.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?  

« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:10:57 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2005, 01:11:07 PM »

Well FAVORITE Crawford films....hmmm.

QUEEN BEE and THE DAMNED DON'T CRY, I think.

I do enjoy ESTHER COSTELLO and AUTUMN LEAVES, too.

HUMERESQUE is wonderful.

And along with a few other DR's I will add TROG and I SAW WHAT YOU DID.  Oh, and STRAIT-JACKET.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2005, 01:12:04 PM »

Hello.

TOD: Mildred Pierce and Whatever Happened To Baby Jane are the two that first pop into my mind.

I vaguely remember an old movie I saw a long, long time ago which I believe starred  Joan Crawford. It was quite a good movie as well, although I cannot now remember the title..

The plot was Joan Crawford (if it was indeed she) played identical twin sisters.  One had married the others sweetheart (a very wealthy man) years ago, leaving the heartbroken twin to become a  bitter,  penniless old maid.  The man dies and leaves everything to his wife.  The poor twin kills the rich twin and takes her place.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?  

I think this is DEAD RINGER with Miss Bette Davis and Miss Bette Davis.  8) 8)

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2005, 01:12:10 PM »

Will DR Hisaka be meeting with BK and any of our other Californian HHWers on her visit to LA?

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »

When it was finished, I put in (in honor of the B-movie topic of the day a few days ago) IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE!

B-quality material to be sure, but other than a full frame transfer, it couldn't have been sharper or better looking, especially for a movie this old and an independent feature at its core released through United Artists. NO EXCUSE FOR THE BOSTONIANS TO LOOK SO BAD WHEN THIS MOVIE LOOKS SO DECENT!

As for the movie, well, it was obvious ALIEN was based on the plot of this movie, and while its direction was pretty bad and acting ranged from competent to pretty awful, it was only 69 minutes long and a fun cheapie to complete the afternoon of movie watching.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2005, 01:15:24 PM »

Just taking a break from this paper. I've decided that if I write the first two sections and ask Dr. C. about the third tomorrow, we will have something to discuss besides how much I hate the class and would rather have my toenails pulled out one by one by a sadistic gorilla than to ever have to see him again. Talking about the paper just seems safer.

So I have a plan. And not only that, but I have a reason to put off doing my homework.

I'm still working on "The unicorn is a mythical beast," though.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2005, 01:17:18 PM »

I've seen a lot of Joan Crawford movies (but certainly not all; many of her 1930s output are terribly dated today and don't get played much), but I don't believe she ever played twins, at least not in any that I've seen.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2005, 01:21:11 PM »

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the 5.1 remix of VERTIGO's score. For purists, the original mono ought to be there (and I'm glad it is in the new edition), but I never saw the original film in the 1950s; the first time I saw it was after the reconstruction and theatrical rerelease which had the new multi-channel sound, so that's what I'm used to.

George

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2005, 01:24:30 PM »

Joan's character was named Allison Hayes in that TV movie made in 1972, five years before Allison's demise, and the IMDB doesn't list any writing or directing or producing credits, so I don't know if there is any connection.  I assume someone on the creative team did it on purpose.

Nancy Allen's character in The Philadelphia Experiment was named Allison Hayes as well, although the director has said he DID use Allison's name on purpose because he always enjoyed her screen persona.

That is all I know.

That's a lot more than I knew!  Thanks for the info. ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:30:15 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2005, 01:25:04 PM »

I guess DVDs have prevented theatrical rereleases of these restored classics, but I can remember that when VERTIGO and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA were restored and rereleased to theaters, the theaters were PACKED when I went to see them.

Not only that, but when there was that mini-renaissance of 3-D movies in the early 1980s, the old 3-Ds from the 1950s were shown all over again, and the showings of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and DIAL 'M' FOR MURDER and HOUSE OF WAX were either sold out or close to sold out when I went to see them. I kept hoping KISS ME KATE would come around, but they never booked it.

And these were at first-run movie houses, not revival theaters.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »

DR MattH, re: veronica mars

DON'T READ IF YOU ARE GOING TO WATCH SEASON 1.

In watching the preview on UPN someone else made a comment that veronica had a rich boyfriend.  I am assuming they were talking about logan or duncan (hopefully logan).  I think it would be creepy if she started dating her "brother" (or who she thought was her brother).

I forget who i thought was at her door when we were discussing it. I think i said logan/duncan/gang guy or black friend.  I'm not sure if logan would be too busy on the bridge to stop by.  Or perhaps this when he will show up all bloody?

Regardless I cannot wait for the season premiere.  Just a warning, if you watch it same day, can you not spoil it.  I won't get to watch the shows till Saturday since my sis will be taping it for me.

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2005, 01:28:11 PM »

I think this is DEAD RINGER with Miss Bette Davis and Miss Bette Davis.  8) 8)

Dead Ringer!!  Ah so it did ring a bell! Thaks JRand! I shall have to rent this again as I remember it being very exciting.  The "poker scene" was particularly memorable as was the ending (too bad I couldn't rememrbt he leading lady!)

Sorry Miss Crawford, sorry Miss Davis !

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2005, 01:33:50 PM »

MattH we did et to see the trailer to Harry Potter with our showing of Corpse Bride as well... HP does look very good.

We're very excited about seeing t.  

November will be movie month for this family  with Hp & hte The Goblet etc, Chicken Little,and  Wallace & Gromit and the Wererabbit

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2005, 01:36:23 PM »

DR Sandra I do wish you well with your meeting tomorrow and I send you VIBES for a successful and nonpainful meeting!!

Maybe you can expand BK's original sentence to "The Unicorn is widely believed to be a mythical beast"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2005, 01:37:24 PM »

MattH - just give a listen to the original sound mix - if you can listen to the remix after that, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din.  Those ridiculous redone gunshots, the fact that all the foley was redone and poorly - you'll just be astonished.  The score, of course, sounds lovely in stereo, but it's not worth it, if you ask me.

vixmom - Yes, we'll be having a hainsies/kimlets dinner for dear reader Hisaka, and I'll be excorting her around town quite a bit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2005, 01:38:01 PM »

Has no one mentioned the supremely wacky Torch Song?

George

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »

MattH we did et to see the trailer to Harry Potter with our showing of Corpse Bride as well... HP does look very good.

We're very excited about seeing t.  

November will be movie month for this family  with Hp & hte The Goblet etc, Chicken Little,and  Wallace & Gromit and the Wererabbit

I'm looking forward to see all of these except maybe "Chicken Little."  I don't know if it'll be something I'm interested in (even as good as it probably will be).

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to (the non-child-friendly) "Rent" and "The Producers!"  Imagine if they're both as good as we probably all want them to be, and they're both nominated for the Best Movie Oscar®...how long has it been when there have been TWO (potentially) good musicals up for Best Movie in the same year??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2005, 01:47:35 PM »

Is Rent opening this year?  I'd heard February.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:47:57 PM by bk »

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2005, 01:50:31 PM »

Has no one mentioned the supremely wacky Torch Song?

It's in my Joan campy list on page 1.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2005, 01:51:16 PM »

RENT is supposed to be November and THE PRODUCERS in December.

George

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2005, 01:52:18 PM »

Oh.  I hadn't heard at all, actually.  The trailer's available on-line, so I assumed that it would be released this year.  My bad. ::)

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2005, 01:53:05 PM »

The excitement in the audience when we saw the HARRY POTTER trailer was palpable!

I'll be honest; I couldn't help praying that this wasn't going to be a screening of CORPSE BRIDE but rather a sneak of HARRY POTTER/GOBLET OF FIRE. That's the movie I *REALLY* wanted to see.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up