Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I AM THE STEAM MAN  (Read 28547 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:I AM THE STEAM MAN
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2003, 08:57:01 PM »

Francois!  Did you listen to the "Green Acres" theme in French that I posted earlier today?

DR Charles Pogue did you find a copy of Green Fedora?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:57:41 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2003, 08:57:50 PM »

I have always tried to be nice to waiters and waitresses because I know it's a tough, fairly thankless job, one that I wouldn't ever want to do, so I try to make it nicer and easier for those who are doing it by not being extra demanding or overly critical. If I'm displeased with service, I display it in the tip rather than make a scene. Of course, if the service is great, the tip will reflect that, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2003, 09:02:14 PM »

Wow!  Look at this postcard!  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #363 on: November 21, 2003, 09:07:22 PM »

I want to publically thank Joy for her very kind e-mail.  It came at a very helpful time, right as I got back from the emergency ward.  

That, it turned out, was the only place a total newcomer in town could turn to for fast help with my clinical depression, and what could have been a nightmare occasion proved to be a great help, with many joyful faces and positive attitudes.  Yes, you read that right, joyful and positive in an emergency ward, and on a Friday evening at that!  The psychiatrist I talked to even went so far as to recommend my getting to a gay bar more often (non-alchoholic stuff in my glass only) as a way of socializing and meeting and just being around people.  Add the right medication (non-alchoholic stuff in my glass only) and I should be back on the right track (a Schwartz ref, I believe).

Fortunately, der Brucer is flying back on Monday, recognizing that finding me the necessary support network (other than himself) takes a priority this time.  I cannot say how much I love that man.  He's courageous, and generous, and pretty woofy for a fellow in his sixties!  

Again, thanks to you, Joy, and to everyone else.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2003, 09:09:54 PM »

Jrand53...I haven't found Green Fedora yet, but I haven't seriously looked.

BK...regards your collection. Show off!  Great 110 find!

td

• td
« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2003, 09:10:40 PM »

I still think she was TERRIFIC in DUET FOR ONE and that film did not get the recognition it deserved, mainly "thanks" to Orion...

This is truly one of the neglected gems of the decade in which it was made.
Dame Julie bravely takes on this role, and rolls with the punches it entails, fortunately, MGM released it on video tape (in one of those huge, over-sized well-like boxes) and that tape has been a part of my permanent collection since i found it at a "going out of business" sale.
DUET FOR ONE also features a nice turn by a then-unknown Liam Neesom.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #366 on: November 21, 2003, 09:13:12 PM »

Here's a not too convincing drawing trying to depict what Cinemascope would be like sitting in a theater using THE ROBE as the subject. I like the PRINCE VALIENT postcard better!   :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #367 on: November 21, 2003, 09:16:17 PM »

I love CinemaScope!  Panavision is my favorite logo....Motion Picture High Fidelity...  But I loved them all even though I didn't know for sure what any of it meant!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #368 on: November 21, 2003, 09:17:04 PM »

Good wishes to SWW!

DR Charles Pogue, if you can find Green Fedora, then I can find The High Powered Rifle.  Does anyone know Maury Dexter?

td

• td
« Reply #369 on: November 21, 2003, 09:17:48 PM »

I thought that Vista-Vision was Motion Picture High Fidelity. . .

Matt H.

« Reply #370 on: November 21, 2003, 09:18:42 PM »

Wasn't it VistaVision that was billed as Motion Picture High Fideilty? At any rate, I know what you mean!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #371 on: November 21, 2003, 09:19:52 PM »

I thought that Vista-Vision was Motion Picture High Fidelity. . .

YOU ARE RIGHT, MATT & TD!  It's late...I need to go to bed, when I don't even know my pana from my vista! ;D

Boy oh boy corrected twice!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:20:49 PM by JRand53 »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #372 on: November 21, 2003, 09:20:05 PM »

Jrand and Matt H.: Thank you for your sympathy, although I'm not sure how much I really deserve it. I made $60 in tips tonight! I just felt like complaining. Thank you for listening :).

SWW: You are so lucky to have someone like der Brucer with you in your time of need. I feel bad now that I never thought to send you an email of support, but luckily Joy was there to bring you...joy! (I couldn't help it :)) I'm also thankful that the hospital was a kind and bright place for you to go. I may not be as wise or experienced as the majority of the people here, but if you ever need some cheering up, I promise I can complete the job. Being 16 with borderline ADHD can provide some funny/happy thoughts/comments. *Big Goofy Grin* :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:53:16 PM by SwishySarah »
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #373 on: November 21, 2003, 09:21:50 PM »

Everyone have a great evening!  See ya on the board tomorrow!

Matt H.

« Reply #374 on: November 21, 2003, 09:24:04 PM »

Well, the old clock on the wall tells me it's past my bedtime, so down and down I go (a Johnny Mercer reference). Good night, all.

Tomovoz

« Reply #375 on: November 21, 2003, 09:29:56 PM »

I seemed to have missed something along the way! Good thoughts S Woody. When I have been "down" (and it does happen) HHW and its caring participants have been more help than they know. At my lowest ebb ealier this year I received incredible and non-judgmental support - the support of friends.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #376 on: November 21, 2003, 09:39:36 PM »

SWW never forget that you have your own person legion of fans in every reader of this board! :)

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jason

« Reply #377 on: November 21, 2003, 09:44:18 PM »

Back from WONDERFUL TOWN, which was, to be very cliche, wonderful! I think perhaps Donna will win her third Tony, stealing it away from Kristi Chenoweth. Honestly, because Kristi and Idina are in the same category for the same show, I think they'll cancel each other out, so--ready or not! here comes DONNA, who really worked it tonight. She was hilarious, and IN TUNE! PRAISE TO BUDDAH! If you get the chance, go see it.

I've been reading the debates about should or shouldn't therapists/doctors/teachers/whatever have tell the authorities of suspected abuse. I say ABSOLUTELY THEY SHOULD. Child abuse prevention and recovery is a very personal issue for me. It may be difficult for people to understand, but just because they're your parents doesn't mean they're easy to talk to. There's an incredible amount of shame and confusion, fear and paranoia that goes along with being an abused child, and sharing that with your parents or any other family member is very scary--there's the constant fear that they will judge you or blame you for what has happened to you. As an adult, one might say that's ludicrous--a parent wouldn't EVER judge or blame their own child--but to a scared 10 year old who is already feeling lost and totally isolated, the fear of losing your parent's love is paralyzing. I think that's why so many people DON'T tell, but perhaps if they had another adult--someone they trusted but someone who is also completely detached from the family--someone they knew would take the appropriate steps to stop the monster who is terrorizing them--then maybe there'd be a chance of stopping these parasites and get them behind bars.

As for the parents...I can't understand why you would allow your children to even step foot into the home of a man who has a "reputation" without constant supervision, let alone allow them to be alone in a room with him. I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but there is a point where appropriate behavior must be upheld over everything else--even money and fame. It is inappropriate for a 40-year old man to have young children staying the night at his home as his guests, and it is even more inappropriate to sleep in the same bed with them, whether anything sexual is happening or not. It is also inappropriate to dangle your child out of a window, but for some reason it was overlooked--called a "mistake" and let go. Will the same thing happen in this case? I hope not.

Perhaps he's innocent--I hope, for the kid's sake--that he is. Mr. Jackson needs to realize that the world is constantly watching him. He has a great responsiblity to his family, his fans, and himself, and I am truly baffled that people don't understand why he's being accused of child molestation.  I would certainly be suspicious if my kid said they slept in the same bed with ANY 40-year old man who was not a member of his family. His inappropriate behavior has come back to bite him in the ass, and whether he's found guilty of molesting that boy or not, I feel that he's brought all of this on himself. Some complain that even if he's found innocent after all of this that his name will forever be tarnished. Well, he should have thought of that BEFORE he started sharing a bed with 10-year old children. I don't feel at all sorry for him.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 10:06:28 PM by Jason »

François

« Reply #378 on: November 21, 2003, 09:49:47 PM »

No, Jrand53, i hadn't BUT I have now....

Oh, i remember watching it so many years ago; Les Arpents Verts, in French...

Now, I hope I'm not wrong if I say that the mother of one of the main two characters, I believe it was Zsa Zsa's "mother", was portrayed by that great Disney character voice Eleanor Audley -- Cinderella's stepmother and Malificent...

td

• td
« Reply #379 on: November 21, 2003, 09:51:58 PM »

Verna Felton was the voice behind those Disney villainesses wasn't she?

But, Eleanor Audley did portray Eddie Albert's mother, Eunice Douglas.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 09:56:01 PM by td »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #380 on: November 21, 2003, 09:56:05 PM »

I do believe we might just be on our way to our second best day ever.  If we can only puuuush.  In the meantime, here's another photo.  I have had basically every poster ever made on Mr. Fellini's The White Sheik, one of my all-time favorite films.  The huge Italian from the original release was very nice but HUGE.  The smaller Italian was still really large and had awful art.  Then I found this reissue poster from 1960.  Normally, I wouldn't even have a reissue poster in my house, but this is the absolute best art on The White Sheik and I love it.

td

• td
« Reply #381 on: November 21, 2003, 09:59:42 PM »

While we're in a Hooter(s)ville state of mind, I gotta say, BK, "Them's some mighty purty pitchures you done got there."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #382 on: November 21, 2003, 10:05:30 PM »

This should tie us with our second best day and I know one of you will push us over the edge.

td

• td
« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2003, 10:10:16 PM »

I'm on the brink. . . .

Jason

« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2003, 10:10:56 PM »

Oh...I forgot to tell you...I got a job inquiry today! A guy who directs from time to time at Bucks County contacted me today to see if I would be available to play Hartly/Fezziwig in SCROOGE: THE MUSICAL (the Bricusse version) at West Virginia Public Theatre. I'd start rehearsals on Nov. 30, open on Dec. 8 and the contract would end on the 14th. Not too bad. I'm waiting to hear from the theatre now about pay, housing, transportation and food info. YAY! I may have a jo-ob...I may have a jo-ob!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #385 on: November 21, 2003, 10:12:13 PM »

Unnnh...!  Push!

td

• td
« Reply #386 on: November 21, 2003, 10:13:54 PM »

OOOH! Jason!  IF you go to WVPT, I can come to see you!  it's quite close.

Jason

« Reply #387 on: November 21, 2003, 10:17:02 PM »

TD: Do you know anything about it? Should I consider going there?? I want details, man! DETAILS!

td

• td
« Reply #388 on: November 21, 2003, 10:18:35 PM »

I don't have any details. . . all i know is that it's approximately an hour and fifteen minutes drive away. . .

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #389 on: November 21, 2003, 10:24:03 PM »

Good evening, fellow dear readers. My, what a lot of posts today! I'll try to read through them all later.

car CD player: Girl Crazy
house CD player: Umm, don't remember. I guess I'll be surprised.

Thoughts on Michael Jackson: Glad I don't have a tv so I don't have to watch the stupid media frenzy over this. I missed the entire OJ thing, too.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up