Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: NOT-SO-FREE-FLOWING VERSE  (Read 28521 times)

Ben

Re:NOT-SO-FREE-FLOWING VERSE
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 07:45:18 AM »

No sense sitting here. Let's move to Page 2

Ben

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 07:47:01 AM »

A Sabre Dance in honor of Sweeney

« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 07:47:22 AM by Ben »

Jason

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 07:50:03 AM »

I just read this morning that Disney is planning on moving THE LION KING out of the New Amsterdam and putting MARY POPPINS in there next year. LION KING would go to the Minskoff.

BIG MISTAKE. My friends who saw MARY POPPINS in London in June were not bowled over by it (they had actually liked CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG more, and we all know what a snore that is), and I don't see a long life for it here despite Disney's imprint.

Why not leave LION KING alone to continue selling out the New Amsterdam for years to come and let POPPINS go to the Minskoff?

I think that's a great idea. Everyone I've spoken to who has seen MARY POPPINS swears it's one of the best things since sliced bread and the title alone will sell tickets for many, many years. And it's got the star-production power of Cameron Mackintosh and Disney behind it. They're the reigning King and Queen of media blitzes and merchandising in the theatre world.

The New Amsterdam also has a more appropriate ambiance for MARY POPPINS. I don't know when you were in the Minskoff last - it's a lifeless, colorless theatre with zero personality. To move an established hit into a slightly smaller space - regardless of ambiance or character - is a smart move. THE LION KING will sell tickets where'er it plays and may be one of the few shows that is able to sustain a long run in the Minskoff. If it can sell out the New Amsterdam nearly 10 years into the run, they most certainly can keep going in the Minskoff.

MARY POPPINS needs the space at the New Amsterdam, as well. It's a "taller" theatre space than the Minskoff (the New Amsterdam has three levels of seating whereas the Minskoff only has two), and they need the overhead space to allow Mary to fly off over the audience.

Jason

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 07:50:42 AM »

Ben, a coworker saw SWEENEY last night, too, and HATED it.

And that's what makes horse racing. Or something like that...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 07:55:05 AM »

No, Matt. As far as I've heard, Sweeney is open-ended. If it sells it will stay open.

Thanks for the info. opefully, it will sell long enough for me to get up there to see it. I really did not like Patti in that concert rendering of the show, but perhaps she'll be more effective with all that practice behind her.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 07:59:57 AM »

Well, regardles of my opinion, it seems Disney is going to do these moves, and certainly THE LION KING will continue selling out whereever it goes.

I saw the very first show ever at the Minskoff (IRENE) and also saw SUNSET BLVD. and THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL there. Yes, it's a pretty antiseptic theater. Not one of my favorites.

Maybe my friends were at POPPINS on an off night, but they found it darker and less enjoyable than the film, and the show didn't sell out there for very long. It's still running profitably, of course, but not at sellout.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 08:01:46 AM »

Made final plans with my pal Rodney to see SEUSSICAL tomorrow night. Got a good review in the local paper, so I'm looking forward to it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 08:06:45 AM »

I am back from atoning (a-toning we shall go).  :)

Rewind arrived yesterday.  Minor kvetch:  why no autograph?  How do you expect me to sell it on eBay for several thousand dollars in a few years?  ;)

TOD:  DVD:  we've been watching the Alfred Hitchcock shows.  Must say I enjoy them, though I guess the "twists" within seconds.  But those intros and outros are priceless.  CD:  just listened to NW guitarist/vocalist Joyce Cooling, but have been on a major Celtic kick lately (and remember, no arm movements with your Celtic kicks, a la Riverdance), so have been listening a lot to Celitc fusion band Lunasa, whom I highly recommend.  VHS:  last night's Survivor.

Inexplicability (is that a word?) department:  Woke up this morning and checked the stats on my Farmer article, and by 8:00 o'clock this morning had already received about 10 times the usual daily number.  Since there had been a dustup on the Scientology usenet group (I in fact received some hate mail from a Sci yesterday so if I turn up dead, sue Tom Cruise), so thought maybe they were coming from there, but they're from all over the place (including Rutland, Vermont's newspaper which is a truly weird synchronicity for me, as Jane & Keith will know).  Hmmm.....

« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 08:08:31 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 08:14:56 AM »

Jason said:

a coworker saw SWEENEY last night, too, and HATED it.

Hmm, he wasn't sitting in the front mezz was he? Did he leave at intermission? The person sitting next to me left at intermission. I assume he didn't like it because of his body language, scowl, no applause at intermission curtain and he grabbed his jacket and fled as soon as the lights came up.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 08:20:54 AM »

To answer BK's question of last night, there are indeed Popeye's Chicken establishments here in NYC. And I am going to behave myself so that I may treat myself to Popeye's dinner tonight while Punk is at an event.
There is a Popeye's in Harlem on 125th
One on Lexington and 26th or so.
The Times Square one moved off of the square to 46th or so.
And one on the Upper East Side on 3rd Ave, and 88th or so.

Those are just the ones I know about!

Jason

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2005, 08:22:26 AM »

Ben: I'm not sure where he was sitting. He's tall, thin...short brown hair. Sound familiar?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2005, 08:23:20 AM »

It's raining in such a way that an umbrella did no good for me this morning and my pants are permeated with rainwater. Not a good feeling.

JMK

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2005, 08:28:04 AM »

It's raining in such a way that an umbrella did no good for me this morning and my pants are permeated with rainwater. Not a good feeling.

"No matter how you shake and dance
The last 3 drops go down your pants"

Oh,wait, that's completely different..... :P

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2005, 08:32:08 AM »

Oh, good Lord, Carrot-Stick just pulled out a bagel the size of her head and, of course, it's overflowing with a cream-cheese-like substance that all but guarantees a good hour of lip-smacking before we move on to the two apples she has with her. ::)

DRJason,  it sounds like a lip-smackin' bad day to me!  I'm sorry to hear you're in a lethargic mode as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2005, 08:33:01 AM »

Speculations here are endless.  And where is DRJose to comment on this?  Or DRTCB?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2005, 08:36:13 AM »

DR Ben thanks for the SWEENEY review.  I also love that show and wish I could see this production!

DR Jason, I agree it is the weather! Rain and dreariness bring on depression!  It has only been raining for a couple days here (with quite a few more in store for us) and it makes me feel horrible.

JMK

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2005, 08:38:43 AM »

Ooops, it just occurred to me that this might be construed as "free-flowing verse," though probably not in the way BK intended.   ;D

FJL

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2005, 08:43:04 AM »

There's a lovely Popeye's Chicken near my office, on 34th between 7th and 8th.  The behind-the-counter people there are particularly friendly compared to other fast food establishments, and I'm wondering if they're corporately instructed to be that friendly, because you get a nice greeting and friendly service there no matter who's behind the counter.  (Unless it's just that they know me as a regular customer there.)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2005, 08:48:04 AM »

To answer BK's question of last night, there are indeed Popeye's Chicken establishments here in NYC. And I am going to behave myself so that I may treat myself to Popeye's dinner tonight while Punk is at an event.
There is a Popeye's in Harlem on 125th
One on Lexington and 26th or so.
The Times Square one moved off of the square to 46th or so.
And one on the Upper East Side on 3rd Ave, and 88th or so.

Those are just the ones I know about!

Years ago, there was some racial controversy about the lighted Popeye signs in that Popeye's face appeared to be a darker skin color at night in order to attract African-American customers.  I remember seeing it and thinking that, while Popeye did look black, no national chain of restaurants would be racist enough to purposely utilize such a ploy.  

Oy, was I naive.   ::)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2005, 08:57:58 AM »

Good Morning!

...Hmmm.... Martha Stewart is currently treating a couple of her audience members to polenta with "gravy" and meatballs...  And they're eating right off the table top!  No dishes!  -The polenta was just poured right onto the tabletop and the meatballs and sauce were poured on top of that.  Now that's what I call family style!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2005, 08:59:55 AM »

And, yes, it is indeed still raining here in New York City and environs.  Flooding out on Long Island, and they just announced mandatory evacuations in part of the New Jersey coast.

...Even my usually sunny disposition is started to dim a bit...  And like other DRs, the sleep!  Oh, the sleep!

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2005, 09:00:53 AM »

Polenta....the horror, the horror!!!  Whenever I want to fast or even diet, I ask DS Betsy to simply fix polenta dishes, as that removes any and all desire on my part to eat.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2005, 09:07:26 AM »

And before I forget...

On my way out of the The Village this morning, I made note of the following:

Rocco's Pastry Shop & Espresso Cafe
243 Bleecker Street
Click here for more info

...and right next door:

Pasticceria Bruno - Bruno Bakery
245 Bleecker Street
*DR Jane - This is the place where you bought the marzipan.
Bruno Bakery
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2005, 09:07:51 AM »

Years ago, there was some racial controversy about the lighted Popeye signs in that Popeye's face appeared to be a darker skin color at night in order to attract African-American customers.  I remember seeing it and thinking that, while Popeye did look black, no national chain of restaurants would be racist enough to purposely utilize such a ploy.  

Oy, was I naive.   ::)

I don't know what you mean. ;) KFC makes sure to advertise their food with black people of all different shades and hues. I'm especially fond of the commercial that features the older black gentlemen teaching the younger, thuggish black boys about how KFC was known as Kentucky Fried Chicken back in their day.

Of course, the funny thing is - if KFC didn't advertise with black people, they'd be labeled racist. If they DO use black people, they're still labeled racist. What can ya do?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 09:08:41 AM by Jason »

Jason

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2005, 09:11:29 AM »

Ahh...the joys of steam heat: it would appear that I have a bit of a bloody nose because the heat is drying me out.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2005, 09:12:04 AM »

As for "Psycho" last night...

It had been years since I had seen the movie, and it was "interesting", to say the least, watching that movie with a theatre filled with a bunch of gay men.  -The one shot where Anthony Perkins "walks" up the stairs elicited a few giggles and comments from some of the people around me.  ;)

But it's still a darn good movie - even if the movie just seems to end sort of abruptly.  -And I've always thought the whole ending sequence - the psychologist's explanation - goes on a bit too long, and that it might possibly explain things a bit too much.  But, still, it's a darn good movie.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2005, 09:12:26 AM »

On my way out of the The Village this morning...

:-X
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 09:12:54 AM by Jason »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2005, 09:13:21 AM »

...And I guess since I had the "noddies" last week during "To Catch A Thief", I'm guessing it was DR Jason's turn this week.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2005, 09:14:25 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2005, 09:16:16 AM »

OH!

And one of the sparkling prize winners last night at The Clearview Cinemas - Where Dreams Come True - was Mr. Forbidden Broadway himself, Gerard (Allessandrini).  -The look on his face when he found out he had won two tickets to Slut was priceless!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up