Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOMETHIN' WRONG WITH YOUR BUMPER?  (Read 25853 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SOMETHIN' WRONG WITH YOUR BUMPER?
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2005, 08:07:12 PM »

Finally gave up on WALK, DON'T RUN when Cary Grant got locked out of the apartment for the second time. Just too contrived and unfunny to spend any more time with.

The good news is I did get all of the things that were on the DVR transferred to the proper storage facilities and thus began the TV offerings with a totally clean DVR slate.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #211 on: October 19, 2005, 08:08:40 PM »

That puppet just freaks me out man!

I think Rodzinski has this album and it scares the crap out of me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: October 19, 2005, 08:09:34 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from Joseph...

A much better show tonight.  I think I only had one "Yikes!" moment, and it was a small "yikes", so...

However, the audience was small.  Hmm...  I guess everyone was home watching "Lost".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2005, 08:14:12 PM »

I have 2 or 3 Marcy records. Not a puppet, per se, but a doll, voiced by the woman on the cover. Bizarre Christian ventriloquist records are not as rare as you might suppose.

My favorite Marcy song is called "When Mr. Satan Knocks at My Heart's Door."

Oops, still catching up with the posts... he does indeed have a Marcy album.  And yes, it freaks me out that we reside under the same roof.

Me and the christian doll albums is what I mean, not me and Rodzinski. ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: October 19, 2005, 08:14:30 PM »

Page 8 Lucy Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: October 19, 2005, 08:16:13 PM »

I certainly was home watching LOST, another exciting and revelatory episode. The show continues to confound and captivate, all at the same time. Superb! (a Sir Cedric Hardwicke reference).

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: October 19, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »

I also watched INVASION tonight. It was somewhat slow-moving, the alien/body snatcher plot moving by inches toward some big revelation of purpose.

But I don't think they're squeezing  the suspense quotient out of the show that they could be. Two weeks ago we saw the ex-wife of a main character breathing under water. THAT was creepy. Nothing has been done with that since, and she's walking around as if there isn't anything wrong with her in the subsequent two episodes.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: October 19, 2005, 08:22:30 PM »

And speaking of creepy, I did watch last night's SUPERNATURAL today. Now that was a very good episode last night.

The monster of the week was a "shape shifter," and naturally the monster eventually took the form of one of the two brothers. As the monster tied up the other brother, we learned some fascinating information about the brother's resentments and feelings of alienation. It was the first really good character insights we've been offered on either brother since the show started, and we could use more of them.

BTW, the episode reminded me a bit of the superior KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER episode called "Horror in the Heights" in which a rakshaska could also assume the form of a trusted loved one.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #218 on: October 19, 2005, 08:25:09 PM »

Walty and Killbot update- I have twice spied Killbot licking Walty's head and ear.

Of course when it happened just now, she followed it up with a chomp on the neck... but I'm feeling hopeful.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: October 19, 2005, 08:25:28 PM »

In addition to those Val Lewton films I'm recording all evening and morning long, I will have VERONICA MARS and LAW & ORDER to watch tomorrow.

This plus the BATMAN BEGINS film, the BATMAN serial, and the first season of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN will be more than enough to keep me busy for some time.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2005, 08:27:21 PM »

DR JRand, on the SUPERMAN set as to special features, in addition to SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN, there is a documentary on the history of SUPERMAN from comic to TV. There are also some commentaries on selected episodes.

At least this is what is on the packaging. I haven't had any time to even open the box yet, and now it looks like it will be the weekend before I can get to it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2005, 08:51:39 PM »

I'm quite certain that MattH's and my opinions on Batman Begins, which I'm watching now, will be wildly divergent, oh, yes, they will be wildly divergent.

8:50 and I'm the only one in the jernt.  I tell you, we're turning into flabby old hainsies/kimlets.

TPunk, can you please play your Marcy LP now, and tell us how you like it.  Mine won't be here for a few days.

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: October 19, 2005, 09:20:24 PM »

bk, you know me too well. But I must say that I haven't even cracked the plastic on my DVD and will have to make some hard decisions about what to watch tomorrow.

There are NOT enough hours in the day. . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: October 19, 2005, 09:21:18 PM »

But as it's now well past midnight on the East Coast, I'm headed to bed.

Good night, all.

MBarnum

« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2005, 09:22:42 PM »

Walty and Killbot update- I have twice spied Killbot licking Walty's head and ear.

Of course when it happened just now, she followed it up with a chomp on the neck... but I'm feeling hopeful.

Now, when I was your houseguest I thought they got along great! Were they just putting on their guest manners?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2005, 09:32:40 PM »

WOW!

Kit Armstrong, a prodigy in many areas, just performed two piano piece of Letterman...

WOW!!!

His Chopin etude was actually poetic.  -And I even liked his original composition.
Make Your Own Luck.

alexpaige

• Lurking in the cafe's shadows...
Re:A QUESTION RE MIKES
« Reply #226 on: October 19, 2005, 10:01:39 PM »

I have an "ASK BRUCE" question for Bruce ... but emails to his address as listed at top of the site just bounce back to me.

So Bruce, if you're around (or anyone else who can answer the question), here it is:

A friend of mine who's just starting out on what will hopefully be a long and profitable career as a singer is trying to work out what sort of mike to buy for live performances.

He popped into a music store here in Oz and they gave him a big spiel about the Rode S1, which is an Australian-made mike. It is however not just a dynamic mike but a dynamic/condenser mike which uses phantom power. The guy at the store said that even tho condenser mikes are mainly used for studio rather than live gigs, this one has wonderful abilities to bring out subtleties in the voice blah blah blah.

He then asked a guy at another music store who basically said the opposite: there was no point buying a Rode S1 unless he was going to use it predominantly in studio, it would pick up too much ambient noise at the gig etc. This guy suggested a Sennheiser E845S dynamic supercadioid mike. The other guy says the Rode is better than the Sennheiser.

Now you may not be familiar with the Rode, but I imagine you're familiar with the Sennheiser, and is there a general rule of thumb re using condenser mikes in live performances which may help my friend make a decision?

Jed

« Reply #227 on: October 19, 2005, 10:22:38 PM »

We were not watching LOST or INVASION or anything of the sort around here tonight.  Both Ann and I tried an episode or two of LOST last season and were simply left cold by it.  We're in the great minority, yes, but such is horse racing.  The only Wednesday night show we watch this season is the new Mandy Patinkin vehicle CRIMINAL MINDS.  We find it interesting and well written, and it looks as though it will be able to go for awhile without running out of interesting premisis, unlike NUMB3RS.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #228 on: October 19, 2005, 10:23:59 PM »

I don't know from Rode, but Sennheiser is a good mic.

This is, of course, from my purely amateur experience, and should  probably be taken with a large grain of salt.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 10:25:10 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2005, 10:27:15 PM »

Al, first of all, I do get the e-mails - they just appear to bounce back.

I don't know that much about "live" mics, so I can't be of much help.  Your friend might want to contact a couple of night clubs to see what they use, and I'd bet that google would also be your friend.

In the studio, I only use tube mics - old 47s and 67s and occasionally 87s.  I believe Mr. Haines favors the 67.

alexpaige

• Lurking in the cafe's shadows...
« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2005, 10:32:39 PM »

OK. Sorry to fill your inbox up in that case!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2005, 10:57:54 PM »

You know what I really hate? I really hate it when I put off writing a paper so I have to pull an all-nighter to get it done on time.

That said, I put off writing a paper so I have to pull an all-nighter to get it done on time.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2005, 11:43:04 PM »

Ah, the prodigal Sandra returns.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: October 19, 2005, 11:43:49 PM »

So, what are you doing Sandra?  You put off writing your paper, that much we know, and we know you haven't been around here in ages, so just what HAVE you been doing, you wicked, wicked girl.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #234 on: October 19, 2005, 11:46:18 PM »

I have been suffering. SUFFERING, I tell you! Between this paper and the other one I have to do by next Wednesday, and having to go to the dreaded Dr. C's Chamber of Horrors twice a week, my soul is slowly being sucked out my ears. Thank goodness for Cherry Coke is all I can say.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up