Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING IN THE TOWEL  (Read 24500 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THROWING IN THE TOWEL
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2005, 05:44:31 PM »

Who is the gorgeous blonde? And who's the woman? ;-)

Drool much?

:)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #211 on: October 26, 2005, 05:47:55 PM »

Do you eBayers know that PayPal will evidently no longer let you specify cash-only transactions through PayPal (i.e., you can no longer refuse to accept credit cards).  Guess I won't be offering PayPal on my auctions anymore.  ;)

Whyever not?  Is there a delay when the credit card is the primary account?

My credit card is backup, but my PayPal payments are transferred directly from my checking account.  

I recommend you consider making conditions, but not ruling out PayPal altogether.  

Some of us refuse to deal with anyone who won't take PayPal...and we're "high bidders", too!  :D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: October 26, 2005, 05:50:11 PM »

No, I think Terry T. was the first musician in his family.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #213 on: October 26, 2005, 05:51:12 PM »

Whyever not?  Is there a delay when the credit card is the primary account?

My credit card is backup, but my PayPal payments are transferred directly from my checking account.  

I recommend you consider making conditions, but not ruling out PayPal altogether.  

Some of us refuse to deal with anyone who won't take PayPal...and we're "high bidders", too!  :D

Ron, it's my inherent cheapness--PayPal (as you probably know) charges the seller to accept credit cards, and it adds up after a while.  For years I've specified that I only accept cash through PayPal (for which they can't charge a fee) and have never had a problem (other than people attempting to pay with CCs, which I simply denied).  Now all of a sudden I got an email today saying that's no longer allowed.  I believe it was the work of my dreaded eBay nemesis, LOL.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2005, 05:52:38 PM »

And, Ron, that was the entire gist of the email from PayPal--that you can no longer make any "conditions" (i.e., cash only)--you MUST have a merchant account and accept credit card payments to list on eBay with the PayPal option.  They just want their moolah.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2005, 05:55:58 PM »

Has not one person on this site listened to this week's radio show?  Does anyone on this site listen to the radio show, because if we're just flapping our wings in the wind, I will stop the show so fast it will make your head spin.

vixmom has written lovely reviews for the Kritzer books on amazon.  Check them out!

I listened!  I laughed, I cried, I ate chicken.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2005, 05:58:32 PM »

And, Ron, that was the entire gist of the email from PayPal--that you can no longer make any "conditions" (i.e., cash only)--you MUST have a merchant account and accept credit card payments to list on eBay with the PayPal option.  They just want their moolah.  :)

I get it.

I have a beef with them, too.  They refuse to let me select  my own shipping address!  I MUST use my billing address and NO OTHER.  Which sucks, because I am never home when the mail arrives.  I prefer getting my auction packages at work.  Years ago, there was no problem.  Then they changed their policy because something happened with a vendor sending to an alternate address and the buyer claiming he never got it.

My point is, if my account lists my work address as a Confirmed Address at my request, what's the problem?  Where's the logic in refusing me?

But PayPal says NO!  Sellers ship them to me anyway.  Except for one in Oregon a couple of weeks ago.  The seller had an original title card from "Words and Music" and I wanted to bid on it SO MUCH.  But his instructions were very specific:  Will not ship to any address but CONFIRMED addresses.  Never mind that I asked nicely ahead of time, that I could verify who I was and where I was.  Absolutely NO budge in the vendor at all.

I was desolate.  But...whatchagonnado!!???!!

The card sold for $36 or so.  I'd have paid $150.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 06:00:47 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #217 on: October 26, 2005, 06:01:26 PM »

Page 8 dance...or, as good as it's gonna get:

JMK

« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2005, 06:04:52 PM »

Ron, the reason why some sellers are adamant about the confirmed address hoo-hah is that that is the only way they're covered by PayPal's protection plan, which in and of itself is a joke.  I've had my issues with PayPal for years.  It's no sweat off my behind not to take it.  I generally only list a few items a year, and my Farmer items especially tend to go to the same people over and over, most of whom pay by check, so it's PayPal's loss.  :)

JMK

« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2005, 06:05:46 PM »

And you know those Oregon sellers--they're all a little goofy.   :P

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2005, 06:07:07 PM »

T.O.D.

Without a doubt, The Supremes are my favorites.  I was one of only a handful of white folks that were in attendance at The Supremes concert in Seattle back in 67 - 68.  Miss Diana even said "Hi" to me on her way out to the stage.  I had every album they ever recorded, and probably still have most of them put away somewhere.

And, who could forget that The Supremes, along with The Temptations, doing one of the greatest  concert specials ever to appear on television, as well as an album.  The title of the special:

[size=8]T.C.B.[/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2005, 06:09:21 PM »

Motown:  I love all the songs already mentioned, plus many, many more besides.

But above them all, in a class unique unto itself:

Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?" album.

As pertinent and important a musical exploration of its times as anything ever done by anyone.

And it's great music, too.  And you can literally "dance" the entire album!!!

...........but Ron, you don't dance.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »

DR JMK:  Is there anything that precludes your adding in the PayPal fee under shipping/handling charges?

You could state that you take PayPal from everyone, but PayPal fees for use of PayPal will be added to your handling fee.

That rather puts the onus on some PayPal customers to convince you there is no fee attached to their payment because they pay from a checking account, but it certainly holds the rest liable for troubles.

Or, you could just guess-timate the fee based on what you think the item will bring and add it to your minimum opening bid.  No one ever needs to know.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 06:13:31 PM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2005, 06:11:13 PM »

John is 27, married with two children (little Taylor and Benny).

Katie is 23 married with two cats.

They are my favorite neice and nephew and they make their uncle Mike very proud!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2005, 06:12:22 PM »

...........but Ron, you don't dance.

...perhaps not....but I do "get down" when the music is FUNKY!

;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 06:12:40 PM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #225 on: October 26, 2005, 06:16:08 PM »

John is 27, married with two children (little Taylor and Benny).

Married...  To a woman?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2005, 06:18:26 PM »

Ron, the problem is that once you upgrade to a "Merchant Account," PayPal starts assessing fees on all transactions, whether or not the funds come from a credit card or cash (i.e., bank account).  That's why I've always refused to upgrade.  I have seen some sellers do what you suggest--i.e., they tack on a "surcharge" if the funds are coming from a credit card, but according to this terse little email I got today, such "conditions" are now verboten.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: October 26, 2005, 06:28:25 PM »

Married!  Pish tosh.  Everyone is married.  The noive.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: October 26, 2005, 06:30:12 PM »

We're having a production meeting at seven.  A last-minute thing, which I want to be over very quickly.

Tomorrow morning I must go bright and early to pick up the new CD release of A Family Affair, a very guilty pleasure for me.

Then I must be home by eleven to meet with someone here.  I'm hoping that that will be my day and that I can get back to my short story, because Friday is going to be very busy indeed.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2005, 06:33:30 PM »

sad news:

What a shame.  I have always loved his niblets.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2005, 06:34:19 PM »

Ron, the problem is that once you upgrade to a "Merchant Account," PayPal starts assessing fees on all transactions, whether or not the funds come from a credit card or cash (i.e., bank account).  That's why I've always refused to upgrade.  I have seen some sellers do what you suggest--i.e., they tack on a "surcharge" if the funds are coming from a credit card, but according to this terse little email I got today, such "conditions" are now verboten.

I guess it's up to the buyers now to complain when a merchant refuses to accept PayPal.  Interesting dilemma for EBay...do they require you to accept it, or do they listen to their customers and relax their stringent manipulation to allow sellers some leeway?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 06:34:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2005, 06:40:57 PM »

Hi all.

Well, I think I have most of the photos I want to put on the CD named and in folders so they will be easy to find.  I still have some extras I want to add to the CD before I send it out so it may not happen until about Saturday.  I'll be puting some of the pictures you all posted on it, it the same folders where they belong. Also some photos from my other trips to NYC.

If anyone has anything they would like to add, please e-mail it along to me.  Does someone have the Walking Tour Mapped out?  Can you scan it and send it me?

Oh, another question, do you just want a CD that you can access the folders or do you want a self running CD that shows the photos on the screen for X number of seconds before it moves the next?  Jane, you should know about that kind of CD.  

I also sent some to PhotoBucket for your viewing pleasure:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/DofB5/

Click the NYC album.

Once again, if I don't have your address, I can't send you a CD.  If you don't want one and I do have your address, let me know as well.  If you were not in NYC and want a CD, let me know as well.

I think that covers most everything.

Danise,

I love your photos, and would be thrilled to have a Cd of the New York Adventure.  How did you get that photo of Michael Ball?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2005, 06:44:55 PM »

Perhaps, as a precaution, you should wear kneepads while you're sleeping in that bed.....

I was going to suggest kneepads for any time that you spend with Steve.  :-[
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2005, 06:58:53 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

TO MY HANDSOME, CHARMING, TALENTED

(AND CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK)

SON, JED!!!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: October 26, 2005, 07:06:19 PM »

DRDanise, those photos are fantastic!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #235 on: October 26, 2005, 07:06:24 PM »

Danise,

I love your photos, and would be thrilled to have a Cd of the New York Adventure.  How did you get that photo of Michael Ball?

Then you shall have one!

The Michael Ball picture.  

I was nervous that I would be late for the start of “Patience” so I left quite early to get to the Opera House.

As I was waiting for DR Elmore, I was walking around, snapping pictures of this and that (you’ll see them on the disk) when I saw a large group of people.  I walked down to see what the fuss was about and there he was!  I had stumbled on the stage door.

Unfortunately, it was just as he was going inside to get ready for the show.  I didn’t get close enough to even try to say hello.  I only got the one good picture of him as well.  I had many pictures of the back of people’s head who got in my way.  Once again, being short cost me.  I have no idea who the person is in the picture with him but at least I did see him and got the one good photo!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #236 on: October 26, 2005, 07:09:58 PM »

Woops, I missed Jed's Birthday!  I'm so sorry!

Thanks, DR Elmore.  You know you will be getting a CD as well.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: October 26, 2005, 07:11:38 PM »

Breakfast time today!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #238 on: October 26, 2005, 07:13:18 PM »

My boss and her sister are going to be in New York City Saturday and Sunday awaiting a flight to India on Monday night.

Does anyone have a clue whether it is possible to get "reasonable" prices to any shows, like "Wicked"?

You might want to look at this site.  

http://www.broadwaybox.com/
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #239 on: October 26, 2005, 07:14:34 PM »

Breakfast time today!

Oh, Tom!  How lovely!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up