Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITLE BOUT  (Read 28544 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE TITLE BOUT
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2003, 03:35:57 PM »

Swishy--LOL...I have ONE teen sister who teases me at home!  I always wanted more and now I have one!    ;)

LOL, TD!!!  

I'm no more flirty than Emily is, really!!!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2003, 03:37:08 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Emily's School for Tarts...it's like a Moliere play!!!

td

• td
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2003, 03:40:51 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Emily's School for Tarts...it's like a Moliere play!!!

Sounds like Sheridan to me. . . :P
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2003, 03:43:32 PM »

TD...you cute little smartbutt.  ;)

I think both wrote plays with similar titles....I was thinking of the one who wrote School for Wives.  Maybe a collaborative effort, hehe?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2003, 03:43:52 PM »

Oh, for Swishy Sarah: You commented earlier that you would not have any desire to visit or stay at Michael Jackson's Neverland.

: )

I think you'd be pretty safe, since Michael's interest in girls isn't an issue.

Jason

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2003, 03:44:30 PM »

Hello, everybody...(my name is Gypsy Rose Lee...what's YOURS?)...sorry, I had to.

TABOO was, um...interesting. Not at all as bad as I had expected, but IMHO, unnecessary. There are actually a couple of very good numbers and several very good performances--Raul Esparza (who is great in everything he does), a very pregnant Liz McCartney, and the VERY talented and handsome Mr. Euan Morton as Boy George. The REAL Boy George, however, was not at all impressive, and I got more excited to hear him sing "Karma Chameleon" along with the ensemble during the curtain calls than I did the rest of the show. The costumes are bizarre but beautifully crafted and quite expensive, I'm sure, but the biggest white elephant in the room was the book. It just didn't work very well at all. I could see where the show would have worked in a different venue, with a different book, but it seems very out of place in the Plymouth and the book is WAY too "and then George did this...and then George did that..." I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it, but I'm also glad I got to see it.

I'm going to say this, and I swear to you I'm not lying--Only the center section of the balcony had people in it--and that section wasn't even full. The side sections were completely empty and they held the show for 10 minutes--presumably because they were hoping late-comers would show up and fill a few more seats. Rosie's nuts if she really thinks the show will last through January.

Thanks for the congrats about the job. I got the recording today at Colony (for a whopping $27!! That's CRAZY!) and I must say, I'm not too excited about the score at all. It's very flat. Perhaps I need a third and fourth listen to really appreciate it. I do get to sing a song as Fezziwig, so that's kinda cool, I guess.

I think I may be seeing THE CAT IN THE HAT tonight. I'll let you know what I think.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2003, 03:47:27 PM »

It's been a very strange day.  Slept in after a fitful night that was interrupted by a stomach virus that wouldn't be ignored.  Had a nice chat with my mom via telephone, made reservations to fly home at Christmas and made reservations to board Miss Vickie during my travel time.  

It's cold in Oakland CA.  And I want something special, but cannot for the life of me figure out what will please me.  I think I want lots and lots of hot soup.  But I can't settle on what kind I would enjoy.

Thank goodness it's a short week ahead...!!!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2003, 03:50:08 PM »

Where IS everyone today...anyway???

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2003, 03:52:10 PM »

Jason:  The word on "Cat in the Hat" is d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r!

Which is really too bad.  Dakota Fanning was on Letterman just ahead of the number from "Wicked" last Tuesday.  She's quite an impressive little girl with a tremendous personality!  She played Ali in "Taken" on SciFi (which is airing every Sunday).

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2003, 03:52:41 PM »

I, too, did some cleaning, vacuuming.  Now I'm eating a shrimp cocktail.

What Brel and Weill share is a flair for the dramatic.  Listen to the former's Amsterdam and you hear the sort of biting histrionics that were done to a t in the latter's "Oil!"  In fact, if you speed it up enough, it sounds like Pirate Jenny.

Another thing they both do is take a very simple melody, often involving the 6th of the tonic chord, and play it over and over again.  (Useless Song and Mack the Knife are echoed by I Loved and Madeline).

Of course, the big difference is sophistication.  You'll find none of those wild Weill harmonies in Brel.  But, textually, both songwriters reveled in holding up a cracked fun-house mirror up to life, and confronting us with nightmarish images.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2003, 03:53:19 PM »

Ron, that was hilarious!!

Dakota was very impressive in I am Sam, a movie I did not care for too much.

Andrea

« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2003, 03:53:44 PM »

Ah well, mystery isn't everything.  You still have the dark hair, so that works for me.  (No offense to any of our resident blondes, I've just always had a thing for dark hair) :)

(...reddish hair works for me, too... Andrea...)

Nice save....

Lovely picture Noel and Joy.

Maya.... now don't you go stealing jed away from me... :D

DR Jason: congrads on the job!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2003, 03:54:32 PM »

Everyone is out running and doing.  Apparently, running and doing is more fun than posting and posting.  Hopefully, they will all be back for chat and then we can have chatting and posting.  Chat in a mere two hours, but until then it would be nice to not hit a new low.  We actually only have to have forty posts or so to avoid that.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2003, 03:55:48 PM »

I like the Brel cast recording - all that red velvet!  I have only seen a portion of the movie....  :D

DR MATTH thanks so much for correcting my egregious error....it has been corrected at Epinions!  You can imagine my embarrassment!  :-[
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 03:56:11 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2003, 03:57:22 PM »

Noel--brilliant analysis!  There was no way I could have compared Brel and Weill as well as you just did, but everything you wrote makes perfect sense.

Andrea--LOL!  I think you are very pretty and I'm sure Jed does too.  You don't have to worry about me stealing him away!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2003, 04:12:44 PM »

Ron: You have calmed my fears. :)

Why are parents so intimidating? WHY? And why can't they agree on what is and is not "clean"?

For instance, I have a LOT of sweatshirts, scarves, and hats for winter. While I'm not using them, I have devoted a little nook between my dresser and the wall for their storage space. They're neatly piled and organized (by color and everything!), and they aren't taking up space in my closet. My mother loves this. My dad is a nervous wreck over it. They are to be hung up immediately.

On the contrary, I am the biggest packrat in the world when it comes to drawings, doodles, cards, magazines, lists, booklets, photos, folders, etc. I have a LOT of these things, and, until I can get some boxes to put them in, have them piled on my shelves above my desk. They are neat and orderly as well. My dad adores that I'm saving them; I caught my mom trying to throw some of it out the other day. I understand that maybe I don't *need* a birthday card from 7th grade, but it brings back good memories, so I want it.

Ah well, you can't please everyone.

And the amount of money I've found so far has totaled up to almost $200. I am so bad at keeping track of my money. If it hits the amount I found last time, I'm not sure I could tell my parents: they'll kill me and then start looking for more.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2003, 04:18:06 PM »

(No offense to any of our resident blondes

And who might these be?

...reddish hair works for me, too...

Me, too.
And that's as close as I can come to flirting.

So glad so many of you liked that picture.  (Posting pix flummoxes me.  I briefly sent us into cinemascope.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2003, 04:21:43 PM »

Anyone know who wrote the lyrics to the song Annie Lennox recorded for LOTR:TROTK?
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2003, 04:28:11 PM »

Anyone know who wrote the lyrics to the song Annie Lennox recorded for LOTR:TROTK?

The song is called "Into the West" and I'm fairly certain that composer Howard Shore composed it.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2003, 04:29:50 PM »

She did.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2003, 05:16:53 PM »

Chat in a mere forty-five minutes, that is if everyone has completed their running and doing.

Danise

« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2003, 05:28:30 PM »

I like all of the new pictures, including the newlyweds.

Hate to say it but I'm starting to get very, very sleepy.   I was up WAY to late last night and up to early this morning.  I'm going to try to make chat for at least a few minutes but then I must .

I might have a photo or two to share, thanks to Mr Mark Bakalor and my fiddling around with the settings but now that it is figured out, I'm to tired to hunt them up and post them.

I don't have the art collection BK has by a long shot but I think I have at least one portrait that some of you MIGHT find interesting.

D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 05:29:08 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2003, 05:45:07 PM »

Chat in a mere fifteen minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2003, 06:03:48 PM »

Chat be open.

Michael

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2003, 06:12:11 PM »

Is anyone having problems with the radio show? The last few shows there seems to be a minute or so between the clips is anyone else experiencing this?
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2003, 06:13:24 PM »

She did.

re: Who wrote the lyrics to "Into the West"...the CD credits Fran Walsh, Howard Shore and Annie Lennox.

Walsh and Shore also penned "Gollum's Song".

Walsh is one of the producers and worked very closely with Shore.

Info is in liner notes to CD.  Got this from Matthew Barry who analyzed tracks at soundtrack.net which got exclusive rights to first listen of portions of each track from the score.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2003, 06:54:50 PM »

I was out this afternoon, Dear Readers, watching a concept album masquerading as a staged musical drama.  The name of this, er, piece, is Chess.

Though I would love to join all of you out there in the dark on chat, I simply cannot.  I have a very, very, very (that is three verys) important job interview early tomorrow morning for which I must prepare.

My apologies for being so E&T this weekend.  Though I may have posted only sparingly, I have read all of your posts and they have been cherce.

(Confidential to Noel and Joy:  What did the photographer say to precipitate the very lovely moment that he/she captured on film?)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2003, 07:12:25 PM »

The statement by Dreamworks is one of the saddest things I've read in some time since it predicates a film's worthiness not in terms of its artistic merit but its box-office performance. True, it's hard for commercial disasters to get Oscar attention, but it has happened. I think that's a slap in the face to all the people who worked long and hard on SINBAD.

Could it be that Mr. Jeffrey Kattzenberg couldn't stand the possibility of losing the Oscar to his former Disney mates (though Pixar, of course, is the real brains and talent behind NEMO's achievement.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2003, 07:27:13 PM »

I spent a busy day winnowing down the stack of media that's been accumulating. I finally got around to the GYPSY movie soundtrack, and I couldn't have been more pleased.  I guess I have a subpar audio set-up, but the soundtrack sounded like it has always sounded to me (without the hiss and pops of an analog recording.) I guess the bass could have been a little stronger, but it didn't bother me a bit, and piping it through all my speakers was a real treat. The Roz Russell tracks were tear-inducing. I felt so bad for her because she's obviously trying SO hard to be good, and she just is NOT a legitimate singer. Through the years, I have made allowances for Roz's claim that it's only she on the soundtrack of GYPSY thinking that she recorded all the vocals so she must have thought those were the ones used. Maybe she never saw the finished product and just assumed Warners used her vocals. However, that just can't be true. Roz had to have had SOME of the Lisa Kirk vocals to lip sync to during filming because those Roz vocal tracks do not match the wording, spacing, and speed of the Kirk vocal tracks we hear on the soundtrack. One clear example: in "Some People" Roz sings, "Hey, LA we're comin' your way," but Lisa sings "Hey, New York, we're comin' your way." In the film, Roz lip sync's to "New York" and not "LA."

I never thought I'd have a CD copy of the movie soundtrack. I couldn't be happier. I need to get George Feltenstein's e-mail address and write him.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 07:32:42 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2003, 07:47:22 PM »

Is anyone having problems with the radio show? The last few shows there seems to be a minute or so between the clips is anyone else experiencing this?

Everyone is having this problem now that we've switched servers away from hijinks. Hijinks has a Real Media server which allows the real media format (ie., the Broadway Radio Show) to be streamed differently than on a server without. Because this new host doesn't have a Real Media server we're stuck with the download delay between tracks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up