Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TURN BACK THE CLOCK  (Read 17872 times)

Ginny

Re:TURN BACK THE CLOCK
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2005, 06:19:49 PM »

Travel vibes for DR elmore  :-*
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2005, 06:48:32 PM »

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my costume. It really was fun.
DR Jane, Paul decided to go as his ghost all dressed in black with a skull mask.  I told him he was the corpse groom.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2005, 07:12:32 PM »

I had a very busy day. My brother said he wants to stay here tonight. He's got business in Sioux City at 8:00AM, so it's easier. Anyway, it started he would be here at 5:00pm. Well I knew that wouldn't happen. Now it's looking like 10:30 pm.  Typical.

Anyway, I rushed around cleaning the house frantically so I could still go to the matinee of  "A History of Violence".  It was very thought provoking and I thought it was very good.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2005, 07:21:05 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Alas, I won't be there on December 31, but congrats on securing your ticket with Rewards Points!  -I guess all those E-bay purchases have paid off.

;)

Assuming I like it, I may try to book another seat nearer the end.  With "Wicked," I saw it on its 3rd day and on its last day.  

If you DO come out, I needn't see the show to meet with you and take a bite somewhere.

But...if you're in the pit, it would be extra exciting for me to take in the show again.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 07:23:26 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2005, 07:26:06 PM »

I spent a pleasant afternoon with the new "Wizard of Oz" set.

WOW!  I'm VERY impressed with it.  I haven't taken in all the features yet, nor have I watched the film alone sans commentary or with music effects track (nor both the mono and 5.1 tracks), but it looks unbelievably rich and sharp and detailed.  And the sound is wonderful...even watched a bit with the 5.1 track and it adds quite a bit of depth to the film, IMO.

Like BK, I likes me original mono tracks...but I am glad to have multiple options.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2005, 07:27:14 PM »

I wanted some fresh veggies today, but couldn't choose between collards or cabbage...so I cooked both.

The few times my "smeller" functioned properly today, the apartment smelled to high heaven.  

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2005, 07:27:56 PM »

I spent a pleasant afternoon with the new "Wizard of Oz" set.

WOW!  I'm VERY impressed with it.  I haven't taken in all the features yet, nor have I watched the film alone sans commentary or with music effects track (nor both the mono and 5.1 tracks), but it looks unbelievably rich and sharp and detailed.  And the sound is wonderful...even watched a bit with the 5.1 track and it adds quite a bit of depth to the film, IMO.

Like BK, I likes me original mono tracks...but I am glad to have multiple options.

After everyone talking about it...I had to order the DVD set. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2005, 07:29:19 PM »

You won't be disappointed, Cillaliz!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2005, 07:31:45 PM »

DRLaura I went Trick or Treating for hours.  It was great fun.  Back then the majority of treats were large candy bars unlike these small ones today.

When the boys were young I mostly went has a witch. I originally found green makeup for a party we attended with Ron Baum’s younger brother.  That year Keith went as the mad scientist and I went as his experiment.  We won the prize for best costume.

Cillaliz-LOL.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2005, 07:33:03 PM »

We have another big “floor day” tomorrow.  I might have to miss the Halloween party here.  Have fun.

‘night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »

Watching a lot of the features, I was painfully reminded of the tremendous void in the DVD market of Judy-Mickey films.  We have one:  "Love Finds Andy Hardy."  But they made several Hardy films together in which Judy's "Betsy Booth" was an integral character, plus "Babes in Arms," "Babes on Broadway," "Girl Crazy", and "Strike Up the Band".  Judy also had a number with Mickey in "Words and Music."

I want an Andy Hardy boxed set, a Mickey-Judy boxed set, a Philo Vance boxed set and a Maisie boxed set.

MBarnum

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2005, 07:50:14 PM »

A question for those how have DVRs. Does the DVR box replace the digital cable box, or is it actually an additional box that you will add to the DVD, VCR, Digital Cable boxes that are already hooked up to the tv?

I would love to get a DVR but I don't think I could stand having one more thing plugged in and sitting on the shelf.

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2005, 07:54:52 PM »

A question for those how have DVRs. Does the DVR box replace the digital cable box, or is it actually an additional box that you will add to the DVD, VCR, Digital Cable boxes that are already hooked up to the tv?

I would love to get a DVR but I don't think I could stand having one more thing plugged in and sitting on the shelf.

My DVR is my cable box.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2005, 08:12:36 PM »

Actually, Matt H, CAROUSEL is scheduled for the second round of R&H remasters along with SOUTH PACIFIC and THE KING AND I early in 2006.  At least that's the word from the R&H newsletter. . .

I do hope it's true. I really don't care about SOUTH PACIFIC, but those other two definitely deserve revisiting.

Thanks for the info!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2005, 08:15:02 PM »

My DVR is built into the cable box and the one remote runs both the cable box and the DVR functions. Very convenient.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »

Yes, Judy and Mickey made an even earlier film - a low budget outing called THOROUGHBREDS DON'T CRY, the one time she got billing ahead of Mickey.

BABES ON BROADWAY and GIRL CRAZY are the pick of that big four quartet that they did. I'd really love to have beautiful copies of both of those.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2005, 08:18:25 PM »

MAISIE, DR. KILDARE, ANDY HARDY - MGM turned out really quality series films. Certainly would love to have boxed sets of them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2005, 08:18:34 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I'm already pretty zonked even though it's only 11:17EST.  -Or did we start EDT.  I always forget.  In any case...

It's been a long day, and I'm sure a good night's sleep will be just what I need before embarking upon what I'm sure will be a most exciting day tomorrow.

So...

Goodnight.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 08:18:54 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2005, 08:20:03 PM »

I started my evening's entertainment with THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS, the twisty mystery starring Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, and Zachery Scott. ENjoyable and a very sharp beautiful copy of the film from TCM.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2005, 08:20:50 PM »

One WUSSBURGER WITH CHEESE AND ONIONS, signing off.

-Can't wait to hear BK's impressions of City of Angels.  I wonder which group is doing it?  Is is fully-stage or a concert version?

...I guess I'll just have to wait until morning to find out.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2005, 08:21:28 PM »

Finally back, and finally done dealing with Adelphia - it looks like we have at long last figured out all these recent problems - and they're replacing the modem tomorrow morning.  I'll explain more in the notes.

And then, I logged onto haineshisway.com and I couldn't get into the discussion board - it had closed up the haineshisway section.  I clicked on the + sign but nothing happened, but then I clicked on haineshisway and it came back the way it was supposed to be.  The real question is, why was it closed up like that for the first time EVER?

I'll have plenty to say about City of Angels later.  But, for now might I just say where in tarnation IS everyone?  This is most unseemly and NOT the way we like to send out a month.

I won two other ashtrays from restaurants I used to go to as a kid, both from the same seller who had the ashtray from my father's restaurant.  And both of these ashtrays are from places mentioned in the Kritzer books -  Kelbo's and The Bagel.  It frosts me that I didn't know about these ashtray things or this particular seller, as two weeks ago he had an ashtray from Casa Cienega, which features in the first Kritzer book.  I've never seen anything from Casa Cienega - heaven knows what else this guy has had in the past.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2005, 08:21:42 PM »

Then, for some reason I pulled CLOSER off the shelf and started watching it again. I admired the performances in it very much. Possibly because I'll be seeing Natalie Portman in STAR WARS III this week is what made me want to see her doing some GOOD acting. Enjoying CLOSER just as much the second time through though I only got about 30 minutes in.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2005, 08:23:34 PM »

ROME had some intriguing machinations going on tonight including incest, lesbianism, and ritual suicide. Just good old fashioned fun for the whole family!  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2005, 08:25:36 PM »

CROSSING JORDAN had some interesting guest stars including Dee Wallace Stone (whom I haven't seen in ages; I knew her husband had died some years ago, but for some reason I thought she had died, too). Also guest starring was Broadway's David Burtka.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 08:27:43 PM by Matt H. »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2005, 08:38:25 PM »

BK:  I think you might find menus for sale, too.  Some folks have napkins with the names of restaurants printed/embossed on them.  Others have artifacts from the restaurants, too.  

The sky is definitely the limit when it comes to what you might find on eBay.

I wish I had the room in my life to diversify and branch out with other "collectibles," but I'm doing too much now, drat it all to hell.

I need storage shelves and storage drawers and storage cabinets.

And square footage into which I can place them.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 08:49:26 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2005, 08:44:12 PM »

I'm thinking "pizza" for supper.  I had a late lunch, so I'll be ready for din-din in about half an hour or so, I think.

And "pizza" -- "pepperoni pizza", I think, will do the trick.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »

THE WIZARD OF OZ set is glorious, but I'm hanging on to my ULTIMATE OZ laserdisc package just the same.

Jason

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2005, 08:50:21 PM »

I'm in from today's sightseeing. I love my family - I really do - but I won't lie when I say I think I'm ready for this vacation to end. In fact, I might take Tuesday off to recuperate.

We went to church this morning on the upper west side. Then we toddled down to Matt's Grill for some lunch and they toddled off to 5th Avenue. For my own sanity, I decided to stay behind at their hotel room for a rest. We had dinner at Rosie O'Grady's at 5pm and saw MAMMA MIA! at 7pm. They didn't enjoy the show nearly as much as I had thought they would. I think they're all tired.

After the show, I hoped to Heaven that we'd be going home for the evening, but they wanted to go back to Roxy's Deli for cheesecake, so go we did. We're not meeting tomorrow until 11:30-ish, so we all get to sleep in a little.

I think we're going to the Museum of Natural History and Science tomorrow after we have lunch at the Waldorf. Then we have reservations at Becco at 7:30, after which we're ending their vacation with a trip to the top of the Empire State Building.

And now...I'm ready to go to bed. Buona sera.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2005, 08:50:35 PM »

Well, I'm operating on yesterday's time, rather than today's.  It feels like 10 of 10 p.m.   I know it isn't.

It just feels that way.

I'm gonna prep my pizza, eat, watch a bit more TV, and wait for the sandman.

G'night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2005, 08:53:55 PM »

Ron, thankfully I've managed to find menu's to most of my childhood haunts, very early on, when I was writing the first Kritzer book.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up