Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL  (Read 30167 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @ @  BRILLIANT INTERVIEW VIBES FOR DR TD  @ @ @ @ @ [/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2005, 07:48:37 AM »

I'm sure you mean "instead of Wedfnesday this year."

THE WEST WING has never been on Thursday.

No, sorry I can't help. I didn't DVR it.

Well no wonder I can't find it! LOL.! Yes I did mean Wednesday!

Any other tapers or DVRers out there who could help?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2005, 07:48:44 AM »

Hey! Qui è per voi tutta la terza pagina!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2005, 07:53:04 AM »

I agree that "Housewives" was back up to snuff, as they say back home. I have theories about where the whole George/Bree thing is going, and I thought Teri Hatcher's performance last night was wonderful. Her last scene was superbly done. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for her to do that.

"Grey's Anatomy" just gets more brilliant with every episode.

Ben

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2005, 07:53:21 AM »

Here is a short obit for Sheree North taken from the Sun Sentinel in Florida via the Los Angeles Times:

LOS ANGELES · Sheree North, a platinum blond bombshell of 1950s musicals who is remembered by younger audiences for her continuing television roles as Lou Grant's sultry girlfriend on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Kramer's mother Babs on Seinfeld, has died. She was 72.

Ms. North, who had been in good health, died Friday at a Los Angeles hospital of complications following surgery, said her daughter, Dawn Bessire of Santa Monica.

Groomed as a studio glamour girl who could substitute for the more famous but often unreliable Marilyn Monroe, Ms. North was later interviewed or cast in documentaries and shows about Monroe.

Born Dawn Bethel in Los Angeles on Jan. 17, 1933, Ms. North danced as a youngster with USO shows during World War II and made her film debut in 1951 in Excuse My Dust, starring Red Skelton. Her movies included The Outfit with Robert Duvall in 1973, The Shootist starring John Wayne in 1976 and the 1991 thriller Defenseless with Barbara Hershey and Sam Shepard.

The actress had guest roles in such top series as The Virginian, The Fugitive, Cannon, McMillan and Wife, Kojak, Hawaii Five-O, Fantasy Island and The Golden Girls. She earned Emmy nominations for appearances on Marcus Welby, M.D. and Archie Bunker's Place.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 07:54:49 AM by Ben »

vixmom

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2005, 07:54:13 AM »

I don't really know from boy's groups. I loved the Monkees. I guess I sort of dig Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. The Temptations, mayhap.

DR Elmore: Sorry to hear you won't be at Carnegie tonight. I'll be there with a couple of Richard Jay Alexander's comps. :)

My upper lip is swollen to about three times its normal size today. I have a fever blister/cold sore/whatever the heck you wanna call it. I usually get them after I've been sick or really stressed out. Mom and Dad left a week ago tomorrow. Guess it was stress. :) Anyway, I look like I could do PHANTOM this afternoon sans the makeup, unfortunately, and I had forgotten how bloody painful these suckers can be. I got some stuff to put on it last night, but it's a thick brown goo that dried up overnight, giving me a Gorbachev-like gravy stain look on my upper lip. I spent a good 15 minutes cleaning it off this morning, so now I just look like I've been in a fight rather than looking like I've hit the mashed potatoes and gravy.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~QUICK HEALING LIP VIBES ~~~~~~~~~[/move]

for DR Jason

Tell anyone who asks that you were mugged  and took on six of them single handed!!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 07:54:42 AM by vixmom »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2005, 07:54:38 AM »

Today we celebrate St. Florentius of Strasburg.  St. Florentius is the patron of gall stones.

Betcha all were just dying to know that, right?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2005, 08:00:22 AM »

Today also marks the fortieth birthday of someone we all know and love.  It was on this day, in 1965, that the Pillsbury Doughboy, a.k.a. "Poppin' Fresh," was introduced to the world, via a commercial for crescent rolls.

No, I do not believe he is in any way related to Truman Capote.  They were just good friends.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 08:03:30 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2005, 08:04:32 AM »

gall stones get their own patron saint?

Do they pray to be allowed to live in your gall bladder in peace?

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2005, 08:05:33 AM »

Today also marks the fortieth birthday of someone we all know and love.  It was on this day, in 1965, that the Pillsbury Doughboy, a.k.a. "Poppin' Fresh," was introduced to the world, via a commercial for crescent rolls.

Every one celebrate by baking crescent rolls!!!

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2005, 08:08:41 AM »

A friend just sent methis let's see if I can post it here

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/view.pd?i=382219626&m=1652&rr=y&source

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2005, 08:16:10 AM »

Having just listened to Commentary #2 on War of the Worlds, I can tell you there is a connection between that film and the Pillsbury Dough Boy.   ;D

Speaking of Gazelles with lobotomies (nice segue, eh?), for those that are interested, the NPR documentary I have referenced a few times here is now slated for a November 16 broadcast on All Things Considered.  Entitled "My Lobotomy," it is the heart-wrenching first-person account by a man who was 12 when Walter Freeman lobotomized him in 1960.  Luckily for this gentleman, it didn't seem to affect him much--he is highly functioning, has pretty normal affect and is married with children.  I provided quite a bit of background material to the producers on the lobotomies Freeman did or supervised at Western State Hospital outside of Ft. Steilacoom in Washington state.

TOD:  well I'll mention one that probably nobody has heard of, the Brasilian close-harmony group MPB4.  Unbelievably gorgeous music and I highly recommend them.

However, in reference to other people's choices:  my high school English teacher is Bread's David Gates' cousin.  In fact, Mr. Gates (my teacher, that is) told us that fact the same day that he announced he had gotten engaged.  Guess which subject was more interesting to us.  And my ex-brother-in-law was speech therapist to the two eldest Osmond kids, who are deaf (no, I don't think they were in the band  :P).  And DS Betsy got to meet 3 of the 4 Monkees during their reunion tour when they did an in-person at the Milwaukee radio station where she was news anchor.  Pretty exciting, eh?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2005, 08:27:40 AM »

Grrrrrr...

Well, I've just had to make two not-so-nice phone calls in order to hopefully rectify some repeated "delays".  "Well, all the other mail that people said they sent me last week has already come in...  Except yours."

Again...  If you haven't sent the check, just tell me you haven't sent the check.  I know your company is known for not making timely payments as it is.  If you're still "processing the invoice", then that's all I need to know right now.  Just please stop repeatedly telling me that you sent the check out a week ago each time I call you!?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2005, 08:28:20 AM »

Sorry - just had to vent....

Maybe I will head down to Richmond after all...  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2005, 08:32:14 AM »

I got a coupon in the mail from Tower and decided to get a few things, including the re-recording of Mannix by Lalo Schifrin (he has been re-recording all of his scores over the last few years).  Unfortunately it's markedly inferior to the original.  Lalo's piano solo is one of the sloppiest things I've heard in a long time (at least IMHO).  Did anyone download the original when Rodzinski posted a link some time ago?  I just realized I never finished and only got the first 10 tracks.  If someone got those last two and could email them to me, I'd be forever grateful (ooh, a John Bucchino reference).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2005, 08:32:28 AM »

Mmmmm...crescent rolls...Grands...yummmm...
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2005, 08:34:08 AM »

~~~ CHECK FINALLY ARRIVING VIBES~~~~~~

for Jose

and just becaue

~~~~NO TRAFFIC DELAY VIBES~~~~

for Jose as well

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2005, 08:35:44 AM »

Having just listened to Commentary #2 on War of the Worlds, I can tell you there is a connection between that film and the Pillsbury Dough Boy.   ;D

Speaking of Gazelles with lobotomies (nice segue, eh?), for those that are interested, the NPR documentary I have referenced a few times here is now slated for a November 16 broadcast on All Things Considered.  Entitled "My Lobotomy," it is the heart-wrenching first-person account by a man who was 12 when Walter Freeman lobotomized him in 1960.  Luckily for this gentleman, it didn't seem to affect him much--he is highly functioning, has pretty normal affect and is married with children.  I provided quite a bit of background material to the producers on the lobotomies Freeman did or supervised at Western State Hospital outside of Ft. Steilacoom in Washington state.

TOD:  well I'll mention one that probably nobody has heard of, the Brasilian close-harmony group MPB4.  Unbelievably gorgeous music and I highly recommend them.

However, in reference to other people's choices:  my high school English teacher is Bread's David Gates' cousin.  In fact, Mr. Gates (my teacher, that is) told us that fact the same day that he announced he had gotten engaged.  Guess which subject was more interesting to us.  And my ex-brother-in-law was speech therapist to the two eldest Osmond kids, who are deaf (no, I don't think they were in the band  :P).  And DS Betsy got to meet 3 of the 4 Monkees during their reunion tour when they did an in-person at the Milwaukee radio station where she was news anchor.  Pretty exciting, eh?

Very cool.... how many degrees of seperation does that put between me and Donny Osmond now?  hmmmmm...... still too many!

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2005, 08:36:35 AM »

Mmmmm...crescent rolls...Grands...yummmm...

I've got some in the fridge can you be here by dinner time?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2005, 08:45:17 AM »

DR vixmom - Thanks for the Assorted Vibes...

I don't think I'll be heading down to Richmond today - even though I would like to.  Just too many things to get done here today before tomorrow's first rehearsal.  And I also want to stay "reachable" over the next few hours just in case I actually end up getting the follow up phone calls and e-mails I've been promised by various people.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2005, 08:47:40 AM »

I also agree that DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES was very good last night.  All 4 women had interesting storylines.  And we had enough outrageous moments to make it seem like DH of last year.  

SPOILERS.

I liked Bree coming out with hives. I loved Paul Young's return (and you just knew he would blab to the plumber). I loved Gabrielle and the lawyer getting shot. And I really liked Lynette's boss pulling off the tag (again you knew this was going to happen).

I liked watching the women together (i wish they would do more of this).  And there was no black family story last night, not sure why.  But I actually didn't miss it.  Not enjoying that too much.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2005, 08:51:54 AM »

I don't watch the WEST WING anymore. But I happened to catch some of last night's debate.  It was sort of weird. Basically it was just Jimmy Smitts and Alan Alda answering questions. With a moderator, and an audience.

I'd be interested to know how much of it was scripted and how much of it was ad lib.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2005, 08:57:51 AM »

I have about twenty minutes before my friends are picking me up to go to lunch.

Crescent rolls. I need NO temptations!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2005, 08:58:47 AM »

So did you pronounce her name:  Sherry or Sher-REE?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2005, 08:58:47 AM »

Well...  One follow-up mail received... The check did not end up getting mailed until Friday - even though I was told it was cut and mailed last Wednesday when they called me up in NYC.  And if it's not here by this Wednesday... Well...

So...  A check is mailed from suburban Maryland on Friday to the big, regional post office in Fairfax.  The regional post office that all the mail for Fairfax, VA, has to go through.  Hmm...

And in the meantime, I've had mail from Baltimore and DC that was sent out Saturday(!) reach me this morning...

Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2005, 08:58:54 AM »

With all the talk about HOUSEWIVES, I can't wait to get back home and watch it. SOunds wonderful.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2005, 08:59:11 AM »

I've got some in the fridge can you be here by dinner time?

I'll bring a bottle of vinny and I'll help with the dishes. :D
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2005, 09:00:16 AM »

An Ebay item that I had to sign for was delivered while I was in the shower.
Argh!

I will pick it up at the post office tomorrow. It's very near where I go to vote anyway.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2005, 09:08:58 AM »

Dear reader Hisaka will be back - she wrote to tell me she's very busy dealing with some stuff that needs to be dealt with.  She does read the notes every day, but hasn't had time to come to the board.

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2005, 09:09:34 AM »

Monday greetings!  We have 2 birthdays in our department today and both celebrants brought wonderful baked goods for treats.

TOD - The Miami University Men's Glee Club, of which my DH Richard and both of his brothers were members before I knew any of them.  We try to attend their concerts and Richard especially enjoys the reunion weekends (every 3 years) when they do an alumni concert.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up