Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SO FAR, SO GOOD  (Read 31950 times)

td

• td
Re:SO FAR, SO GOOD
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2005, 06:46:51 AM »

Wish me luck on my quiz!!

Here's wishing that DR TPunk knocks that quiz right outta da ballpark!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2005, 06:51:40 AM »

PAGE TWO DANCE:
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2005, 06:53:38 AM »

We need a picture of TPunk and her pink feather boa!

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2005, 06:58:58 AM »

TOD:

I would use less CGI. It can be a handy tool but it can get overused.

I would have the writers develop scripts with characters over 50 years of age.

I would employ all of my old time favorite actors and actresses! June Kenney would be forced out of retirement.

Action films would be have NONE of those silly Matrix-like fight scenes!

I would make more family movies about animals.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 06:59:53 AM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2005, 07:10:47 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

...And I've already run by the post office this morning - the box mail is up by 8:30...  Still no checks.  Grrrrrrr!!!!!  *But I did have a piece of mail that was mailed from Baltimore... yesterday!  Double-Grrrrrrr!!!!!  *So, if said check is not in the mail by tomorrow morning, I have a feeling some more phone calls - and maybe even a personal visit may be in order.

...I'm up.  I'm up...  -Oh, I already said that...

...And I've had breakfast already...

...Yes, I am a bit sleep-deprived, but I think I should be able to make it through a five hour day today.  ;)

...Hmm.. Anything else??

Oh, yes... I'm up.  I'm u....  -Oh, nevermind.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2005, 07:14:25 AM »

And now I must get ready to head in for the first day of rehearsal for Damn Yankees at Arena Stage.

http://www.arenastage.org

*And I just realized that last week I was also working on a show where Dark Powers were also a pivotal plot device.  ;)

...Oh - And Congrats and Good Luck to DR TPunk!

....DR elmore - So...  Will you get to meet Mr. Frangoulis?  -He's dreamy.  ;D

And...

Well... Time for me to get going...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2005, 07:17:33 AM »

I wasn't really planning to be up at seven in the a.m. and yet I am up at seven in the a.m.  I think I simply tired of the completely wacky dream I was having.  Oh, well.  Perhaps I'll work on my lyric - I got another few lines done before bed, and I'm now in the home stretch.

In an interesting bit of synchronicity, I just stretched in my home.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2005, 07:22:19 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  CONGRATS TO DR CILLALIZ FOR 13 SMOKE FREE MONTHS  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK TO DR TPUNK FOR PROSPEROUS FUND RAISING AND HER QUIZ  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2005, 07:23:45 AM »

*And I just realized that last week I was also working on a show where Dark Powers were also a pivotal plot device.  ;)

DR Jose, wear something red to ward off the evil eye.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2005, 07:31:16 AM »

Good morning!

We've got a bright and sunny day here with cumulous clouds all over the sky and temps rapidly rising to near-80.

No excuse for those of us who have elections to vote on not to get out and vote.

I have lunch plans with a friend and on my way back I will vote and then stop off at the post office and pick up a package there that must be signed for.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2005, 07:33:33 AM »

I would quickly put any movie studio out of business since my taste for musicals and literate mysteries and comedies with true wit rather than vulgarity are not in style right now.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2005, 07:34:26 AM »

I didn't read any opinions of last night's MEDIUM. Did others record the show as I did and just not watch it yet, or was it not very good? Usually we have several opinions on it by this time on Tuesday.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2005, 07:36:01 AM »

This is the week that something monumental is to happen on LOST (I first thought next week). So it's going to be arduous to wait until tomorrow for that.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2005, 07:36:47 AM »

BONES and HOUSE both got very high praise from the USA TODAY TV critic for their episodes tonight. I am looking forward to seeing both of them.

FJL

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2005, 07:39:16 AM »

Cillaliz - Re one of your posts yesterday, it seems interesting that about a dozen people have told me lately that they've seen the LAST STARFIGHTER movie on cable in the past couple of weeks, and it seems on different stations.   Maybe it's just on the minds of our friends since the CD of the musical is out, but in a strange moment, it was fun to think that the movie might be showing more often because of the CD and all the google references to  the title (especially when combined with "kritzerland") that popped up since the CD was announced.  Doubtful, but in a self-absorbed moment, it was fun to think that. :)

Jason

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2005, 07:42:30 AM »

'Mornin'!

Ahh...Mario Frangoulis. What a nice way to start the day.

DR Cillaliz - Congrats!!

Is it any surprise that I don't want to be at work today? Well, I don't. And there you have it.

TOD: The artist within would like to say that as a producer of B'way shows, I'd ban jukebox musicals altogether. Sure, they're fun, but where's the craft? Where's the skill?

As a producer, however, the logical, profit-turning businessman within would realize that Broaway is a commercial venue and a profit is always expected, if rarely achieved. Knowing that, I'd be hardpressed to ban shows that so obviously attract an audience and turn a profit. MAMMA MIA! continues to do outrageous business and I suspect that JERSEY BOYS will, as well - at least for a year or two.

In the same vein, I'd like to limit the number of TV and movie actors who 'slum it' for the summer to do a revival of this or that. We need more home-grown Broadway stars, but how can you nurture the up-and-coming Gwen Verdons when everyone wants to hire the already - if questionably so - established Christina Applegates? The legacy of the Broadway divas and leading men are giving way to the Marissa Tomeis and Huey Lewises...the Wayne Bradys and Melanie Griffiths. Where are the Mermans? Where are the Raitts?

On the other hand, the Melanie Griffiths and Huey Lewises sell tickets and keep shows running. The Marissa Tomeis and Christina Applegates actually ensure that a show opens at all. From a business standpoint, it's a no-brainer, even if a few of them are no-talent. That's not entirely fair - most of them have some talent...otherwise they wouldn't be bankable stars. But just being a TV or movie star or fallen pop idol does not a Broadway star make. I have great respect for someone like Brooke Shields who has worked to prove herself in the theatre community. She continues to push her limits and step into roles that are quite atypical for her personality.

As much as it pains me to say it, she'd never have had those opportunities without the aid of Barry and Fran. The Weisslers, that is. But I also blame them for Melanie Griffith and Sally Struthers and Lucy Lawless and Jon Secada. But, it's a business and they know what sells...

FJL

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2005, 07:48:21 AM »

Jason - Are you really lumping Marisa Tomei in that category?  Having seen Tomei work her magic both on and off Broadway in recent years, I think she's more than proven herself.  Maybe not in musicals, but in plays, definitely, and she's shown a real commitment to coming back again and again.  (Granted, I didn't see WAIT UNTIL DARK, where she apparently was not as good.)

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2005, 07:59:27 AM »

Having never smoked, I have no idea what it would be like to quit, but having friends who have tried and failed numerous times, my hat is off to anyone who can manage it.

Congrats!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2005, 08:01:54 AM »

I like Marisa Tomei.  She didn't have a chance in Wait Until Dark, as her director completely failed the play and everyone in the cast - tarting it up with loud sound effects, movie-music cues, and Quentin Tarantino, who gave one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever seen on a stage, and that includes middle school shows.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2005, 08:02:47 AM »

Just finished the parody lyric - at least it's all laid out, and now I can go in and comfortably rework some less-than-stellar lines.  Whew!

Jason

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2005, 08:05:52 AM »

OK...I take back the Marissa Tomei thing - I've never seen her in a show (she's only done two on Broadway and I'm not at all familiar with her off-Broadway history), so I can't really judge. But I stand by Melanie Griffith wholeheartedly. And Lucy Lawless, too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 08:11:38 AM by Jason »

Jason

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2005, 08:10:43 AM »

Whether it's hype or truth is anybody's guess, but according to Playbill, SWEENEY has taken in over $750,000 in ticket sales since it opened on Thursday. Not too shabby...

FJL

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2005, 08:15:36 AM »

That strikes a thought in my mind for an answer to the topic of the day.  Tomei starred in a play called DEMONOLOGY at Playwrights Horizons that, if there were any theatrical justice, would have moved on to great success.  If I had the ability to do so, I'd put Marisa Tomei in DEMONOLOGY on the list of shows that I'd try to get on track for a commercial run, both from a  financial and artistic perspective.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2005, 08:19:17 AM »

Congrats to CILLALIZ - encouragement and bravas on her ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Why have I never hear of this Frangoulis guy?

Very warm today - but cloudy.  Strange weather we're havin'. ( A WOO reference.)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 08:27:02 AM by JRand55 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2005, 08:20:56 AM »

What an adventure in recording MR BK had yesterday.  Hmmmm.....sounds as if the solution has been found.  Who knew it would take so long to get the sound that many of us try to avoid (the record hiss)....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2005, 08:21:24 AM »

Having never smoked, I have no idea what it would be like to quit, but having friends who have tried and failed numerous times, my hat is off to anyone who can manage it.

Congrats!

October was my 5-year anniversary marking the last cigarette I smoked.

I was addicted, hooked, junked, jonesed.

I loved it!

But it was time to consider the rest of my life, I had frequent headaches, and the cost was ridiculously high...I was spending more on cigarettes than I was on food.

I tried to quit cold turkey, but had to go to the patch.  Wore it for a week, then never wore it again...or looked back.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2005, 08:21:53 AM »

All these announcements on the net  of first-day takes for SWEENEY and JERSEY BOYS remind me of something I've been wondering about.  Is there any truth to the rumor that when Broadway shows announce how much their first-day box office take was on the day after opening, they're including all the group sales that have accumulated prior to that date in that figure, since they're not officially accrued until the show actually opens?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2005, 08:23:22 AM »

Jason - Are you really lumping Marisa Tomei in that category?  Having seen Tomei work her magic both on and off Broadway in recent years, I think she's more than proven herself.  Maybe not in musicals, but in plays, definitely, and she's shown a real commitment to coming back again and again.  (Granted, I didn't see WAIT UNTIL DARK, where she apparently was not as good.)

What really tightens my jaws is anytime someone implies she did not earn the Supporting Actress Oscar for "My Cousin Vinny."  She was flat-out brilliant in the film and she was far more worthy than many actresses who have copped nominations and Oscars.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2005, 08:24:27 AM »

TOD:

Well I would look around and see what properties the studio owns that hadn't been made.  And I would get some GOOD writers who know what they're doing.  THOSE are the people who would get the BIG salaries.

I would also keep any "actor" away from the script.  I will never understand the process by which a body with a voice suddenly fancies itself a mind....LOL.

TV - throw away the A story B story formula for comedies - reduce the number of regular people in the cast - no more fantasy shows and NO MORE reality shows.

That would be a start.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2005, 08:25:43 AM »

Congrats to RLP for HIS same accomplishment.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up