Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HEALING HANDS  (Read 21428 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:HEALING HANDS
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2005, 11:43:31 AM »

And one for Sondheim!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2005, 11:45:55 AM »

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Just because it's a gorgeous Sunday morning doesn't mean we sit around like so much fish and not post, you know.  You know?

It's not gorgeous in Olympia. :P It's overcast and blah.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2005, 11:47:13 AM »

Had a very nice dinner last night with Michael Shayne. We ate at the Theatre Row Diner on the corner of 42nd Street and Dyer Avenue (a little jog that lets cars come into Manhattan from the Lincoln Tunnel. He looks great (Michael Shayne, that is). He has lost weight and he says his back is better. I went to see the new Christopher Durang play, Miss Witherspoon, at Playwrights Horizons. It's very funny and extremely well done. It opens in a week (IIRC). I hope it gets good reviews and is extended. It's about a woman who searches for meaning in life through various reincarnations. Jesus makes an appearance along with other funny (and unpleasant) characters. If you're in NY, I recommend the show. While it is very funny, Mr. Durang makes some good points about the misuse of religion and questions peoples conception of "the afterlife". Good, good stuff (IMHO).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2005, 11:48:25 AM »

Someone asked me if my comments regarding HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE meant that I didn't enjoy the film.  On the contrary, I thought it was a very good film.  I would give it three and a half stars (out of five). There were some great moments in the film.  Still, I  believe that PRISONER OF AZKABAN is still my favorite of the four films.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2005, 11:50:39 AM »

It is gorgeous in New York. It is supposed to get rainy and cold during the week but today it's perfect fall weather. I was out and about, going up to Penn Station to get my ticket on the Long Island Railroad for the trip out to Ronkonama on Wednesday. I did a bit of shopping and I'm about to go out again for other things. As much as I don't want a car and don't miss a car, it is aggrivating to have to go to two or three stores to purchase things because you can't get everything at one store. You've got bags that are too bulky to carry around so you go home to drop them off and then you head out again to make other purchases. If I had a car, even if I had to go to more than one store, I wouldn't have to go out three times. Oh, well. It's one of the small drawbacks of living in the City That Never Sleeps.

Ben

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2005, 11:52:17 AM »

I will be having dinner w/Mr. Shayne, Mr. Moore, Mr. Landau and perhaps some others of the usual suspects tomorrow at Barrymore's. We will make sure we have many final dinners there before the place closes for good. Since I got my train ticket today I won't have to do it tomorrow after dinner.

George

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2005, 11:56:18 AM »

Looking forward to WALK THE LINE and KING KONG!!!!  Fingers crossed that we get a good ape!

I watched a couple of different "King Kong" trailers on-line and it looks like it's set in the 1930s.  It was incredible!  I was totally blown away and now I really want to see this.  I was quite ambivalent when I had first heard about Peter Jackson making this movie (right after I saw "LOTR" and heard that Peter wanted to make this before he could even think about the possibility of doing "The Hobbit") but the trailers totally changed my mind. ;D

Hopefully, NOW he'll do "The Hobbit!"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 12:02:05 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2005, 12:03:32 PM »

It's not gorgeous in Olympia. :P It's overcast and blah.

But, how are things in Glocca Morra, or TACOMA, for that matter, this fine day?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2005, 12:07:09 PM »

Hi all!  Yes, I'm still alive.  Still in some pain but not half as bad as before.  I will be calling the doctor tomorrow to set up an appointment ASAP.  

In fact, I will be driving in to work tomorrow so that if in case I can get an appointment tomorrow I can leave work to get to him.  What a bother.  I hate this kind of stuff.  

DR Jason, I am sorry I didn’t wish you the happiest of Birthdays yesterday.  I saw your comment about sending me get well wishes for Michael Ball (and I thank you for them) but with all the wonderful guys on HHW who sent me theirs, I don’t think I need them.  

One thing I did do yesterday was get caught up again on all everything I had Tivoed. Lost was really a GREAT show this week—I LOVED it!

Invasion
is another one of those train wreak show as far as I’m concerned.  I really don’t like it but I can’t stop watching it.  Like Battlestar: Galactica

Invasion really does remind me of Shawn Cassidys other show, American Gothic (that was one of the things I hit the “Buy” button on).  Something odd going on and the sheriff is right in the middle of it.  In fact, I even think the two sheriff’s look very much alike.

I’m also starting to really, really, really like Boston Legal.  When I think of all the shows I missed BT (Before Tivo)  Ahh well.  

Congrats to DR MBarnum on the newest family member!  

I'm so glad to hear that DR Michael S is having such a wonderful time in NYC!  Was it only last month that we had the gathering?  It seems like yesterday and it seems like such a long time ago.

Everyone ready for Thanksgiving?  I ventured out for a bit today to get the usual items, dog food, dog goodies and I think I've got just about everything we need for the stuffing that I so look forward to every year.   Yum!!!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2005, 12:08:29 PM »

I guess Time Machines go forward to historical events too. The Impeachment of George Bush would be my choice.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »

Danise - how are you?  I have been worried about you.

Sorry, DR TCB!  I was reading posts and trying to get caught up.  Thank you for asking.  I'm still kicking! :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2005, 12:09:15 PM »

I guess Time Machines go forward to historical events too. The Impeachment of George Bush would be my choice.
;D :D ;D  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2005, 12:17:39 PM »

From your mouth computer....

;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2005, 12:20:39 PM »

Sorry, DR TCB!  I was reading posts and trying to get caught up.  Thank you for asking.  I'm still kicking! :)

Good!

Quote from: Tomovoz on Today at 12:08:29pm

Good!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2005, 12:22:59 PM »

But, how are things in Glocca Morra, or TACOMA, for that matter, this fine day?

Things in Tacoma are gray and overcast.  However, in less than one hour, the sun will shine brightly, because I will get to watch an entire game of my beloved Seahawks.
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2005, 12:29:30 PM »

Just finalized plans to visit my folks in Miami Beach over part of Thanksgiving weekend.  Mom's just got our of a rehab place for her fractured shoulder.

FJL

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2005, 12:33:44 PM »

Shameless self-promotion of the day, probably in part spurred on by the Talkin' Broadway review last Thursday.  LAST STARFIGHTER is #3 on the footlight.com "Top Sellers" chart overall, and at #1 on their Cast Recording chart - at least for the moment.    

footlight.com/top_sellers.cfm?cat_id=19

Danise

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2005, 12:38:08 PM »

Gee, the overcast thing must be all over.  It's building up to rain here in "Sunny" Florida.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2005, 01:31:45 PM »

A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS has always contained one of my favorite Gershwin scores, and George and Gracie's comedy banter is memorable. They are also pretty nifty hoofers in their two numbers with Astaire. Otherwise, the film is a near-miss with a plot for air-headed than usual.

Sad to say, this RKO Picture is in sad shape quality-wise, too, at least the print used on TCM. Lots of print damage and spotting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2005, 01:36:07 PM »

That is wonderful news about THE LAST STARFIGHTER...and I am sorry to say that I have yet to get my copy. I will be doing so next month as my Christmas present to myself.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2005, 01:38:05 PM »

Saw a KING KONG trailer shown during KISS KISS BANG BANG last week, and it didn't make me long to see the film. The guy I went with was blown away by it, but I found with the intense sharpness of the widescreen image very "computery" looking. (Kind of like the first SPIDER-MAN looked to me).

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2005, 01:39:15 PM »

Hildy's checkup went well. Doctor thinks that it might just be stress that is causing her to vomit and not eat much....he says that aside from being way too thin she appears to be a fine health.

I must now hie myself to Walmart to pic up doggie and cat pictures and to the pet food store to find some sensative stomach Science Diet food....and a rechargeable hand vac for to clean up mass amounts of dog hair in my car and in my home! LOL

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2005, 01:39:46 PM »

Watched LIFEBOAT this afternoon, too. My heart sank a little bit during the credits and first foggy sequence as all the spotting and speckling made it look like it was going to be a sub-standard transfer. But when the fog cleared, so did the image, and it became very pleasing to the eye. Glad to finally have this. That pretty much completes my Hitchcock collection.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2005, 01:41:22 PM »

Glad DR Michael Shayne made it safely to NYC and is seeing the shows he wants to see. Hope he'll give us full reports when he can.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2005, 01:43:49 PM »

Although it has been a fantastic weekend, what with getting Hildy and all, I did have some very sad news yesterday when I learned that my good friend, and past interviewee Carolyn Kearney passed away on Friday.

Her son Charles Bloom called me yesterday morning to let me know. Carolyn had throat cancer (although she was not a smoker) and had just found out about a month or two ago.

I visited her when I went to Los Angeles in July. She had lost a lot of weight. I am really glad I had a chance to see her, and I will sure miss her phone calls and letters...she was such a sweet gal.

I will try to watch her episode of THRILLER this week, or perhaps her movie HOT ROD GIRL or THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE.  :'(

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »

Myself with Carolyn Kearney Hirshfeld and dog Koda July 2005.

FJL

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2005, 02:04:11 PM »

Re the sensitive stomach dog food -  When Dylan had to be on it for a while, he actually enjoyed it more than the regular food (which even he would tell you he enjoys immensely).  It looked so yummy that Toby wanted some of what Dylan was having, so we had to mix some of the sensitive-stomach food in with Toby's regular food so that Toby wouldn't get upset.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2005, 02:08:32 PM »

Although it has been a fantastic weekend, what with getting Hildy and all, I did have some very sad news yesterday when I learned that my good friend, and past interviewee Carolyn Kearney passed away on Friday.

Her son Charles Bloom called me yesterday morning to let me know. Carolyn had throat cancer (although she was not a smoker) and had just found out about a month or two ago.

I visited her when I went to Los Angeles in July. She had lost a lot of weight. I am really glad I had a chance to see her, and I will sure miss her phone calls and letters...she was such a sweet gal.

I will try to watch her episode of THRILLER this week, or perhaps her movie HOT ROD GIRL or THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE.  :'(

Michael, I am sorry that the excitement of your new addition had to be tinged with sadness over the loss of your dear friend.  My deepest sympathies on the loss of Miss Kearney, but best wishes on your new baby.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2005, 02:09:53 PM »

Ah, DR MBarnum, sorry to read about Carolyn's passing.

I was sad to read about character actor Harold Stone's death as well yesterday. (He played Rhoda's father on TV among many, many other roles.)

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2005, 02:20:33 PM »

I guess I'll head downstairs now and tackle cleaning the hall bathroom.

WBBL after a full evening of TV entertainment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up