Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DROWSY BK  (Read 34750 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE DROWSY BK
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2005, 02:16:06 PM »

DR Elmore:  It's not just singers who are entering the workplace without classical training.

Film composition, these days, requires little more (seemingly) than a knowledge of synth keyboards.  It's more "noise application" than anything, IMO...and taking something someone else has written, changing a note or two, and passing it off as something different enough to escape a lawsuit.  And you get to put your name on it, too!

The trouble with "American Idol" is that they select contestants from among thousands of wannabe singers.  There are no requirements re: training...they just pick people who can put over part of a song on a day when they're hearing thousands.

As soon as the competition is underway, they either chastise someone who has had training (making it sound like a bad thing) or they chastise the contestants for their inabilitiy to put over a song...yet there is no evidence that the show is providing any modicum of training to assist them at all.  

So...whatchagonnado?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 02:23:09 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2005, 02:18:11 PM »

PAGE SEVEN!

My LUCKY Number.  

Time to go out and buy a California Combo!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2005, 02:24:15 PM »

Four other people are, allegedly, viewing this thread.

But you can't prove it by me.

;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2005, 02:24:35 PM »

I can't get anyone to say "Hey!" or "Boo!"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2005, 02:24:59 PM »

I have "squat" persuasiveness when it comes to teasing folks into posting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2005, 02:25:33 PM »

All I can do is post these obnoxious little one-liners in hopes others will intervene and say something different.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2005, 02:25:49 PM »

I can use the numbers, so I'm not complaining.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2005, 02:26:01 PM »

But it DOES get lonesome sometime.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2005, 02:27:22 PM »

Hello, DR Ron, I am here reading your posts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2005, 02:27:52 PM »

That's good to know.  I've been reading yours.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2005, 02:28:27 PM »

Sometimes I get the feeling I have when I dream I'm on a stage or on the street or in a room with others and suddenly realize I'm naked.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2005, 02:28:37 PM »

And yet nobody is even looking.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2005, 02:29:21 PM »

Doesn't look like I'll start any new DVDs tonight. I'll probably start to re-watch something already on the "seen" shelves. Have no clue what that will be at this point.

I'm thinking maybe a Hercule Ppoirot or Jane Marple mystery.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2005, 02:30:28 PM »

Doesn't look like I'll start any new DVDs tonight. I'll probably start to re-watch something already on the "seen" shelves. Have no clue what that will be at this point.

I'm thinking maybe a Hercule Ppoirot or Jane Marple mystery.

Did you finally finish watching all your "Angel" boxed sets?  I don't recall your mentioning it if you did.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2005, 02:31:37 PM »

I have boxed sets of the Jack Ryan movies and Indiana Jones movies I haven't watched yet.

I have both Marilyn boxes, but have watched only two or three of the films.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2005, 02:34:43 PM »

And I've a grunch of musicals I haven't watched, including "My Sister Eileen."

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2005, 02:39:43 PM »

Did you finally finish watching all your "Angel" boxed sets?  I don't recall your mentioning it if you did.

I have only watched the first two seasons of ANGEL on DVD (and the fifth season "live," of course). But once I start a series, I like to stick with it to the end of that season, and I've got too many DVDs coming in to do that with ANGEL now.

Once TV goes into reruns in December and new DVD releases slow up a bit, ANGEL will be my first priority.

And speaking of David Boreanez, I'm looking forward to seeing BONES tonight.  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2005, 02:41:55 PM »

I have boxed sets of the Jack Ryan movies and Indiana Jones movies I haven't watched yet.

I have both Marilyn boxes, but have watched only two or three of the films.

I've viewed all the Jack Ryan and Indy films. Of the Marilyn ones, I think only LET'S MAKE LOVE hasn't been watched in the second set. I really can't stand Yves Montand in this or ON A CLEAR DAY.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2005, 02:42:42 PM »

I guess I need to go clean the living room now and then settle in for some DVD/TV viewing.

I will return later tonight with some TV thoughts.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2005, 02:54:24 PM »

I have a few esnipe bids in on some items on Ebay, all of which end in the next three hours.

And what do I find when I check on them?  Endless nonsense by bidders trying to one-up each other...one takes high bid, then 20 minutes later the previous high bidder trumps the high bid, and back and forth, jockeying the price up...and there's THREE HOURS TO GO.

Who the frell cares who holds the highest bid right now?  It's who takes it at the end that matters....and I assure you, I will try my best to take it at the end (cause, for now... they're nowhere near my highest bid).

:D

« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 03:02:59 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2005, 02:57:30 PM »

Back for just a second, but must now be on my way to lunch and then to the editing room.  Keep the home fries burning, for I shall most likely be returning quite late.  

Oh, dear, I hope Jrand hasn't gone off in a huff.  That stuff is really disturbing to me - Jason was obviously joking and put in a smiley just to be certain.  Oh, well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2005, 02:57:56 PM »

I guess I need to go clean the living room now and then settle in for some DVD/TV viewing.

I will return later tonight with some TV thoughts.

Inquiring minds want to know...will these be "live" TV thoughts or recorded TV thoughts?

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2005, 03:04:03 PM »

DR Ron (and others who watch the Idol jokes), I found "Operatunity" (BBC) to be far more worthwhile - for the viewer and for those involved.  There was serious training given to those who had talent. I'm not  an Opera fan, but I found the programme fascinating.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2005, 03:06:22 PM »

I can't get anyone to say "Hey!" or "Boo!"

Yes, it has sunk to this level!

I can't even get someone to say, "Hey, Boo!"

« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 03:07:01 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2005, 03:08:11 PM »

Of course there was no public "Voting" in "Operatunity" and that is the real gimmick that gets people to watch "Idol". - a perceived involvement in a manipulative concept that has conned millions. As of course is "Big Brother". Horses for courses - but then I do not watch much Televison at all these days.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2005, 03:08:20 PM »

DR Ron (and others who watch the Idol jokes), I found "Operatunity" (BBC) to be far more worthwhile - for the viewer and for those involved.  There was serious training given to those who had talent. I'm not  an Opera fan, but I found the programme fascinating.

Speaking of operatic voices, have you yet heard the group called "Il Divo"?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »

Of course there was no public "Voting" in "Operatunity" and that is the real gimmick that gets people to watch "Idol". - a perceived involvement in a manipulative concept that has conned millions. As of course is "Big Brother". Horses for courses - but then I do not watch much Televison at all these days.

For the record, we (U.S. viewers) don't get to vote on "Big Brother" evictions.

When the first "Big Brother" tanked in the ratings, they revamped everything to have only the houseguests evict one another.

Not as much fun for us, but American viewers aren't a   sadistic, nihilistic bunch.  We still pull for the good guys.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 03:10:57 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2005, 03:12:18 PM »

I think Big Brother evictions were voted by the public in the original Dutch programme and here in OZ.  It may have changed!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2005, 03:13:51 PM »

And your post is modified!
I'm out  for the day. Please keep the porch light on for me.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2005, 03:19:38 PM »

I think Big Brother evictions were voted by the public in the original Dutch programme and here in OZ.  It may have changed!

I'm pretty sure the public votes in all international editions of "Big Brother".  It's just that the program is more popular elsewhere than here...and the public enjoys leaving the bad guys in the houses...the nastier the houseguests are, the better, apparently.

Here, we have to let the houseguests decide their own fate.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up