Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GOBBLE GOBBLE  (Read 19900 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GOBBLE GOBBLE
« on: November 24, 2005, 12:29:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gobbled up the notes, the notes have gobbled you in return, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're celebrating Thanksgiving, too, by saying a Thanksgiving Moo.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 12:17:44 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:GOBBLE GOBBLE
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:30:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: IMPERIOUS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 12:37:09 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving To All...who celebrate! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:47:32 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to you all in the land of USA.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 04:09:56 AM »

Good morning, all!  I spent the yesterday seeing a doctor about an exam in 2 weeks, stocking up for the weekend, making a large batch of chicken soup, and cleaning the house.  A year ago at this time, I was still hobbling around in pain after the first of two surgeries and not feeling so hot.  I have so much to be thankful for and one of them is for all of you.  Thank you.

As for the TOD:  my family's Thanksgiving every year I can remember, before my leaving home, was a huge family gathering at my mother's sister Jean's home.  Of the seven children on my mother's side of the family, usually six of them with their spouses and children showed up for the big event in Hamilton, Ohio.  Outside of a wonderful meal, I wasn't crazy about the day:  too many cousins I never wanted to see, and too many jocks watching nothing on television but loathsome football, to my mind the stupidest sport ever.  

Between 1980 and 1985, every Wednesday before Thanksgiving, a troup of friends drove in from Ohio for the weekend.  They brought the turkey, which I roasted on thursday morning, and went to the parade while I prepared the basis of the meal.  When they returned, everyone pitched in to help and around 2:00 all the guests I'd invited showed up.  There were usually between 15 and 25 people here for Thanksgiving dinner.  I remember Ethan Mordden playing Broadway music and Ken Mandelbaum and others singing along, and the guests usually came and went between 2 and 9 pm.  It was a lot of fun,  The last year, one of my Ohio friends brought along a drunk who spent the entire four days plastered.  The same friend who invited the alcoholic also screwed me over with a promise to uses his car to help me carry a furniture gift up from the Village.  That was the end.  I miss it.  Some days.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!  GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
[/color][/move]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 04:12:17 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 06:05:08 AM »

Thanksgiving morning greetings!  Our bird went in the oven almost an hour ago.

Let the record show that I was not one of the Ohioans at DR elmore's '80's Thanksgiving dinners (but I'd sure love to know who was  ;))  In 1977, though, my good friend Becky, before we were both married, spent Wednesday-Sunday in Manhattan.  We saw 5 shows, attended the Macy's parade, and ate Thanksgiving dinner at Mamma Leone's.  Now, don't get me wrong - I love doing these big family gatherings at home - but that is one of my favorite holiday memories.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 06:15:07 AM »

Just a quick hello; I've several days worth of posts to catch up on, and no time to do so.  Drat.  And I think der Brucer has scheduled us for something grandlad-ish tomorrow, my only day off this week.  It figures.

So, let me simply say "Happy Thanksgiving!" to you all.

I'll be at the store most of the day, helping with the customers who have either forgotten an ingredient or two for their feasting, or have to replace something the dog ate, or are there because their wives sent them to simply get them out of the house, or haven't anyplace else to go and need to see a cheery face.  So this may turn out to be a very memorable Thanksgiving!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 06:35:54 AM »

For those of you who are really desperate in finding something to celebrate, today is National Espresso Day!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 06:49:58 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to BK and all the DRs.  Check out this link:

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/view.pd?i=382219626&m=1652&rr=y&sou
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 06:52:45 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving Bill & Ray.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 06:55:15 AM »

Not the Australian wild Turkey.

This Sulpher Crested Cockatoo was ready for his close-up yesterday.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 07:10:02 AM »

In honor of TCB who is gosh-knows-where at this moment:

Thanks, Ozzie!  There's nothing like starting off a Thanksgiving morning with a closeup of a cockatoo.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 07:11:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 07:12:15 AM »

And the only groans allowed today are for "after" the Turkey Day main meal!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 07:14:09 AM »

Not the Australian wild Turkey.

This Sulpher Crested Cockatoo was ready for his close-up yesterday.

For myself, I'll say he's quite an imperious specimen.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 07:27:24 AM »

As it's nearly 2.30am, goodnight.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 07:43:24 AM »

As it's nearly 2.30am, goodnight.

Dang!  It's tomorrow down under and Tommy is in bed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 07:44:07 AM »

I spy DR Matt H.

He's probably taking a last-minute look-see before heading off to a day of gastronomical overload!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 07:45:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 07:49:13 AM »

Hey, DR Ron!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 07:50:08 AM »

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Gorgeous morning and moderate temperatures today only. Tonight the temps plunge to below freezing and it's not going to get out of the 40s for the next few days.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 07:51:47 AM »

Thanks for the report on RENT, DR Jose.

It was not my favorite stage musical by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm curious to see what has been done with it for the screen, so I'll be going next week one day. It's playing in the theater right down from my house, but they fellow I went with to HARRY POTTER on Tuesday wants to see RENT (he's never seen the stage version), and I promised I'd go with him, so I can't go thie week.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2005, 07:53:16 AM »

Sorry, DR Jose. I didn't record LOST, so I can't dub a DVD for you. And it was quite a memorable episode, too. I'm sure it will be rerun over the next couple of months once the show goes into reruns. (Next week's episode is new, and then it's reruns for December and part of January.)

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2005, 07:56:09 AM »

I didn't get around to A CHARLIE BROWN THANKSGIVING yesterday, so that will be the first order of business today while I'm eating my Thanksgiving meal. It's coming on tonight, but I'd rather see the DVD version sans commercials.

Then, I think I will watch SPANGLISH from the DVR.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2005, 07:57:47 AM »

And since we're still in ratings sweeps, the networks are pretty much providing new programming tonight. CSI is a new episode and so is WITHOUT A TRACE and SMALLVILLE.

I noticed my local NBC station is showing a locally produced special in the JOEY/WILL & GRACE time period, so I'll be getting those shows in the wee small hours of the morning on delay.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2005, 07:57:57 AM »

Gobble gobble!

No Thanksgiving memory stands out in my mind - just lots of fun and seeing all my cousins.

Favorite Thanksgiving Story:  A  Christmas Story by Truman Capote.  Some of the BEST writing ever.  
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 08:45:39 AM by JRand55 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2005, 07:58:25 AM »

And I also have last night's VERONICA MARS and LAW & ORDER to watch at some point today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 07:59:25 AM »

"Lost" and "Invasion" were both really good, as DR MattH posted last night.  "Lost" ended in what I consider "cliffhanger mode" last night...left all sorts of questions unanswered and left me almost near the edge of my seat.

"Invasion" is getting very interesting...and I loved the unexpected mystery/twist in the morgue.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 08:02:11 AM »

Yes, I don't have any special Thanksgiving memory. We seemed to do something different every year. One year with my aunt and uncle. One year with my maternal grandparents, one year at our house.

My last partner and I did go to Las Vegas for Thanksgiving in the mid-1990s, and that was a truly different vacation. Wearing shorts and t-shirts to eat at those huge buffets on the strip on Thanksgiving Day. We went to see FOREVER PLAID since he had never seen it (but I think that was the night after THanksgiving.) I guess that is my most vivid Thanksgiving memory.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2005, 08:02:58 AM »

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all U.S. citizens and observers of same.

We are officially into the "holiday season" today...with tomorrow being a national feeding frenzy of Christmas shopping, sales, and mailing (sending and receiving).

It's energetic!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2005, 08:08:10 AM »

I've mentioned before that there is a big condominium complex being built across the side street from my house. It's been under construction for a year. Today I was sure it would be blissfully quiet with everyone taking the holiday off.

This was not to be! Several workers showed up this morning SINGING (in Spanish) and making a fair amount of noise. Wonder if they're cooking a meal inside the building (the power seems to be on over there)?

Danise

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 08:08:23 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Turkey and Pumkin pie are in the oven!  Good smells are starting to fill the house.

I also give thanks for friends both near and far.  For having a job and home.  

Once I get the dishes all washed and look at some of the sale ads, I'm going to start burning disks and hope to mail them all out on Saturday.  I didn't get all the "extras" done that I wanted to do but I think the picutres are the main thing.

I really do NOT plan on going out tomorrow but it never hurts to look.   ;)

I did record LOST on my Tivo but I have no way to record it.  Unless there some way to get it to my lap top???  If someone can explain how to do that, I would be more then happy to burn a dvd for you.  

The computer is to far away from the TV to run a line.  Unless you can buy a good Loooonnnnggg cord.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up