Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CRASH DIET  (Read 16782 times)

Michael

Re:CRASH DIET
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2005, 07:51:19 PM »

Did some research at the Billy Rose Collection of our esteemed BK while in NYC.

Found a NY Times interview with BK  and a review of the original release of the Creature Isn't Nice and Starlog and Cinefantasique articles on the film. There was also a French translated version of the article.

Interesting fact: The Creature Wasn't Nice was an hour longer before the final edit.

Also Bruce said he was going to make a film called "Sailors" and "Howard of the Jungle"

What a great resource. I am sure they have something on anyone who ever worked in film, tv, radio, or theater.
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2005, 07:52:07 PM »

Hi all, reporting in from my father's bedroom.....my lap top is officially not worth a thing and this is the only computer in the house.

I had a very nice and filling Thanksgiving.  Turkey, potatoes(whipped with sour cream and cream cheese then baked again), sweet potatoes with brown sugar/cinnamon and marshmallows, stuffing, dressing, scalloped oysters, scalloped corn, orange/coconut fruit salad, and I'm not sure what else. Pumpkin pie  and copcolate pecan, but we didn't get to it.

I took my niece to RENT, after dinner. I'll talk about it more tomorrow, both of my parents are in here wanting me to look at photos from my nephew's wedding.....more tomorrow...

Michael

« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2005, 07:54:49 PM »

Dear DR Denise:

Did you know about this?

Michael Ball - Alone Together / Live at the Donmar
(Kultur - new on DVD)

His one-man, one-piano "this is my life" show. Song list: Don't Look At Me (Sondheim), I Whistle A Happy Tune (Rodgers & Hammerstein), Anyone Can Whistle (Sondheim), Give a Little Whistle (Washington & Harline), Where or When (Rodgers & Hart), Padam Padam (Glanzberg, Contet & Carr), Sons (J. Brel), Little Pal (Al Jolson), The Man That Got Away (Arlen & Gershwin), If You Were the Only Girl in the World (Grey & Ayer), Mother (John Lennon), I’ve Got No Strings (Washington & Harline), I’ll Build a Stairway To Paradise (Gershwin), Happy Talk (Rodgers & Hammerstein), The Best Of Times (J Herman), Is That All There Is (Leiber & Stoller), There’s No Business Like Show Business (Berlin), MEDLEY: (Berlin, Porter, Newmans, Robbins & Grey, Gershwin), I Wish I Could Forget You (Sondheim), What Now My Love (B. Brown & Sigman), How Can I Lose You (Guettel), Life On Mars (David Bowie), Prelude 8 in E Flat Major (J.S. Bach), Over My Head (Trad.), Glory Goes (Guettel), Alone Together (Dietz & Schwartz), This Is What It Is (La Chuisa), After The Ball (Harris & Schwartz).

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2005, 07:56:16 PM »

Anyone get the Barbra Streisand TV Special collection?

If so does anyone know why "Lover, Come Back to Me" in the concert segment of My Name is Barbra has been replaced with an alternate take, different from what is on the Laserdisk/VHS version?
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »

Good Grief! The Michael Ball DVD is over 2 years old. Anyone would think he was appearing in New York. LOL . I guess this is the first NTSC DVD. It is a wonderful performance.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2005, 08:06:40 PM »

I was wondering which was the worst remake of Wells' work - "War Of The Worlds" or "The Time Machine". They both ended up being quite silly IMHO.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2005, 08:10:56 PM »

If so does anyone know why "Lover, Come Back to Me" in the concert segment of My Name is Barbra has been replaced with an alternate take, different from what is on the Laserdisk/VHS version?

I wrote about two of the specials earlier today on this forum.

I did not watch MY NAME IS BARBRA from the set today, however. I should get to it at some point during the next week.

Hmmm. I was going to pass my VHS versions along to a friend, but now I may have to hang onto MY NAME IS BARBRA.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2005, 08:11:49 PM »

I was wondering which was the worst remake of Wells' work - "War Of The Worlds" or "The Time Machine". They both ended up being quite silly IMHO.

I'd put THE TIME MACHINE remake as a far worse film that WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2005, 08:12:57 PM »

Well, we've passed the all-time low figure, so I'm heading for bed now.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day.

Good night, all!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2005, 08:27:30 PM »

Good Grief! The Michael Ball DVD is over 2 years old. Anyone would think he was appearing in New York. LOL . I guess this is the first NTSC DVD. It is a wonderful performance.

The Michael Ball DVD that I got is "Michael Ball:  Live at the Royal Albert Hall" and was recorded in 1999.  I don't know how long it's been available in the US.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2005, 08:33:26 PM »

http://www.barbra-archives.com/TV/streisand_mynameisbarbra.html
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2005, 08:44:38 PM »

Well, what is a long weekend without a 2nd Bollywood movie.

PARASMANI (1964) Looks to be an adventure/fantasy, the type of which India does very well...although very much on the campy side.

Mahipal and Geetanjali star along with Helen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2005, 08:59:48 PM »

Did some research at the Billy Rose Collection of our esteemed BK while in NYC.

Found a NY Times interview with BK  and a review of the original release of the Creature Isn't Nice and Starlog and Cinefantasique articles on the film. There was also a French translated version of the article.

Interesting fact: The Creature Wasn't Nice was an hour longer before the final edit.

Also Bruce said he was going to make a film called "Sailors" and "Howard of the Jungle"

What a great resource. I am sure they have something on anyone who ever worked in film, tv, radio, or theater.

Well, yes, if one added up all the raw footage in the assemblage, Creature would have been an hour longer - but that's just assebled footage and no one in their right mind would want to see it that way.  My cut of the film runs around eighty-eight minutes - not sure about the "official" cut.

Sailors was supposed to follow Nudie, and we were very close to making it, and Saul Chaplin was even going to work on it at one point (I played him the songs on Bronislau Kaper's piano - don't remember why we met at Mr. Kaper's house).  Howard of the Jungle was just an idea I had - I don't think I ever did more than a page or two on it.  The one that really went quite far but didn't get made was called The Seventh Voyage of Howard - we even had Bill Stout do conceptual drawings for the creatures, and it was a pretty funny script.  Golan-Globus was very interested in it for quite a while.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2005, 09:11:24 PM »

Funny what you remember when your memory is jogged.  I started thinking about the scripts, the unproduced ones.  I wrote an omnibus film (three stories) called Scare Me - it would have been pretty good, I think - however, the first of the stories has become a short story in my short story collection that I've been working on.  I wrote a script called The Horror, which was based on a novel by Thomas Monteleone (novel had a different title) - it was really good, and I remember there being some interest at the time.  It was brought to me by Mark Haggard, who'd optioned the book and had a script written that was just awful.  I did major work on it but alas, nada.  I did a rewrite of a film called...  hmmm... oh, yes, Rotate.  It was a girls' volleyball picture, and, again, it had a really good idea and a really bad script.  The producer was Lou Arkoff, son of Sam Z.  It was very funny when I got through with it, and had they made it it would have been a hit, I think.  My favorite gag was the dean of the college's name - subsequently stolen by Mr. Dangerfield, I believe for one of his movies (and no, I'm not being paranoid, I was told that the company that made that film had absolutely read my script and just pilfered the gag) - I named the character of the dean, Dean Martin, and it was a very amusing running gag throughout the script.   I've also done dialogue polishes on a few scripts.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »

Has Ann caught up?

Why are people just sitting like so much fish.  I see four people - if each of the four were to make twenty posts, we'd have a find day of posting.  And just where IS dear reader Jane?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2005, 09:16:43 PM »

I don't believe I have enough info or comments for one post, let alone 20

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2005, 09:31:46 PM »

Hiya, folks
Just got back from delivering turkey sandwiches, chocolate cake and assorted fruits and veg to some of the - dare I say it? - hundred or more homeless living in cardboard and driftwood lean-to's on Kahalui Harbor Beach. Only fed about 25 of 'em - who knew until I actually got in there that there were so many? Oy! Anyhow, next time, I'll bring enough food.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2005, 09:33:27 PM »

I had a lovely sunset.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2005, 09:35:41 PM »

I had scads of turkey left over from last night. Even after making the sandwiches, I still have lots of turkey in the refrigerator. And wads of stuffing. Much fine cheese. Berries. Carrots. Ton o' salad.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2005, 09:37:04 PM »

May have to hit Costco again tomorrow, get the jumbo jar of mayonnaise and ten loaves of bread. Ham. Cheese. Lettuce. and cookies... lots of cookies.
PennyO

Michael

« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2005, 09:37:27 PM »

Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »

a Penny from Heaven story from Hawaii.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2005, 09:48:40 PM »

I'm having problems posting at the moment. Just then I could not find anything past post #127.  Very odd.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2005, 09:54:43 PM »

I love the 1960s version of THE TIME MACHINE.  I could watch that film again and again.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2005, 10:08:08 PM »

Me too TCB.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2005, 10:08:49 PM »

Thanks for the link.

But why the alternate take??

From what I remember reading (I don't remember where) Barbra never liked the other version, and they were finally able to track down footage from the afternoon's dress rehearsal.  I have tried to figure out where I got that bit of information, but I haven't had any luck.  (Maybe Barbra e-mailed me the story)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2005, 10:13:23 PM »

I think that there is a muffed lyric on the videotape take.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2005, 10:37:19 PM »

Loved PennyO's review of Rewind on amazon (and posted here earlier).  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2005, 11:22:02 PM »

Well, I must do the Wussburger.  I have to go into work for a few hours and I want to get an early start.

That is a very nice review, BK.  Good job, PennyO!

Hope everyone had a real good day after! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2005, 11:49:29 PM »

Since a lot of hainsies/kimlets are MIA, we won't really know whether they had a good Thanksgiving, a good day after, or anything until they decide to return their errant and truant butt cheeks back to this here site.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up