Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIKES OF ME  (Read 31068 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LIKES OF ME
« on: December 01, 2005, 12:06:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've become acquainted with the notes, you can quote the notes from here to eternity and hell and back, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - the likes of them are quite busy kicking the ass of a few people who've treated them meanly.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:09:21 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LIKES OF ME
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:07:55 AM »

And the word of the day is: DOCKWALLOPER!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in!

La Jolie Femme

• I can't read your mind, but you don't know that.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 01:30:56 AM »

Ah, yes! My uncle was a physician who hated my aunt, a harpy.  How I used to love to watch Doc wallop 'er!

Adieu, adieu.  I am up to my neck with boxes!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 01:36:24 AM »

Oddly enough, a favourite romantic film score of mine is the musical version of Goodbye, Mr. Chips with Peter O'Toole and Petulia Clark.  Probably because I saw it with The Lovely Wife in college, long before she was The Lovely Wife but merely The Lovely Girlfriend (and before she became The Lovely Ex-Girlfriend.  But that's a whole 'nother story.  But True Love...or Madness...triumphed in the end and she became The Lovely Light of One's Life and ultimately The Lovely Wife...and all ended happily ever after...so far -- I mean, she hasn't killed me - yet!).  But depsite Chips' often mundane music and silly lyrics, it remains a romantic fav for both of us...and there are some very lovely numbers despite the dubious ones.

Anything Miklos Rozsa does is a romantic film score for me.  Favs are Valse Crepulscalaire, the main theme from Providence, a movie I've never seen.  But the music is gorgeous!  I also love the main theme of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, based on one of his violin concertos.  Thief of Baghdad and Moonfleet are also wonderful.  All Dr. Rozsa's scores are lush, sweeping, and intensely romantic, as are his concert compositions.  It must be his Hungarian heritage.  A gypsy knows how to make a violin cry!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 04:05:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  Another busy day between prescription trips, music deliveries, a trip to the accountant, and some office time.  A change in office schedule forced me to cancel a lunch date with my friends at the Cole Porter Trust, so we'll hopefully do it on Monday.

I think the Mario Frangoulis work is finished for the nonce, to prepare everything I've done for the Dec 11 rehearsal, and now I've got a chart for Judy Kaye to work on.  First, however, I've got the Men's Chorus holiday work to finish, and that's going to take most of the weekend and part of next week.

TOD:  I agree with DRCharlesPogue about Rozsa; he's the best, and we're long overdue a complete recording of the THIEF OF BAGDAD score on CD.  One of my favorite scores is his TIME AFTER TIME:  I still remember the elation and relief I felt in 1979 at the end of the film when Mary Steenburgen told Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells that he wasn't returning to the past without her.  The movie was romantic and I loved the screenplay, but I believe the score by Rozsa was the romantic undercurrent.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 05:59:26 AM »

Off to the bank in the snow....sort of a snow bank.  Back in a bit.

It's December!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 06:19:41 AM »

Good Morning Jacl\k.  Be careful driving in that snow.  Its around 50 degrees here and bright and sunny, but they are threatening us with snow next week.

Now where did I put those gloves last year?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 06:23:42 AM »

Good morning Jennifer I hope you are feeling better this morning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 06:34:41 AM »

Thanks DR VIXMOM.  All was well, nothing on the roads.  Got some wild bird seed while I was out to fill up the feeders and get the birdies back to the yard.

DRMBARNUM you don't suppose Hildy and Freddy had a spat do you?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 06:35:58 AM »

Another vote for GOODBYE, MR CHIPS, score and songs.  Lovely performances.  "You and I" and "Walk Through the World" are both beautiful love songs that also work in the story so well.  It helps that I love to hear Petula Clark sing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 06:40:50 AM »

Romantic scores.

Well Max Steiner's music for GONE WITH THE WIND and later MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR,  A SUMMER PLACE, SUSAN SLADE, and YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE were all beautiful.  I didn't add ROME ADVENTURE because the music I like best from it was the song "Al-Di-La" - although Steiner's work was excellent as well.

Raksin's LAURA, of course.

Bernstein's THE CARPETBAGGERS has some nice themes.

But for ROMANCE itself, I will take the scores to THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN and LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING - with the latter having the edge.

vixmom

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 06:54:20 AM »

Did Freddy come home yet?

Jason

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 07:31:16 AM »

Mornin'...

Wow! It's chilly outside at last!! I noticed the temp as I was walking to the office was 41 degrees. Yesterday's high was 63. We might have snow on Monday. God love New York. :)

I just found out that I will be attending the Gypsy of the Year competition on Monday afternoon courtesy of MTI. No, it's not something they're sending us to just to treat us for our hard work - they buy these tickets every year because they're expected to and then they draw names to see who gets to go. This year a group ranging from upper management to file clerks will be attending. I just got lucky. But I'm happy 'bout it!

I worked out again last night. I don't know what's wrong with me... ;) As a result, the muscles in my buttocks - muscles I didn't even know I had - hurt like the dickens. See? Working out IS a pain in the ass!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 07:35:08 AM »

But come summer when you are wearing your Speedo - you will feel wonderful!!

Take pictures at the Gypsy of the Year!!!  Exclusive to HHW!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 07:40:37 AM »

Hawaii
Up the Down Staircase
A Patch of Blue
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Collector
The Oscar
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jason

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 07:41:28 AM »

Oh, honey...you don't want to see this in a Speedo. Hell, I couldn't even stand to see this in a Speedo!!

I'll do what I can about the Gypsy of the Year pics now that I've figured out how to take pictures without a flash... ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 07:55:09 AM »

Oh, honey...you don't want to see this in a Speedo. Hell, I couldn't even stand to see this in a Speedo!!

I'll do what I can about the Gypsy of the Year pics now that I've figured out how to take pictures without a flash... ;)

LOL....if you say so.  :D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 07:55:28 AM »

I’m posting while I can.  Due to the weather we keep loosing our satellite connection.  Last night Keith covered the satellite dishes to keep the snow off of them, however much of our problem is the over-all weather conditions.

I have a splitting headache, still I’m pleased not to have-so far-caught Keith’s cold I have been fighting for days.

Jennifer I hope you are feeling better.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 08:18:05 AM »

Good morning!

It is beautiful this morning, but very nippy outside. Looking forward to a walk later on.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 08:19:38 AM »

Favorite romantic score is OUT OF AFRICA.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 08:20:54 AM »

DR Jennifer, my sister finally replied to my message about her sore throat cure:

Mix 1/2 cup of honey with 1/2 cup of vinegar and store in a jar.  Take two tablespoons and gargle (yes you can do this one spoonful at a time) and swallow.  Do this 2-3 times a day till throat feels better.

She swears by it.  I've never tried it myself, though.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 08:20:57 AM »

DR Jennifer, I understand the VERONICA MARS alternate ending will be on-line for a week. Since I have a dial-up connection, I doubt I'll be able to watch it unless I download the thing during the night and watch it the next day. I'll see if I'm interested after I watch the actual show this afternoon.

Jane

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 08:21:06 AM »

Jennifer what antibiotics are you taking?  Taking them when they aren’t necessary only builds up a resistance, or worse an allergy, to them.  The pain you describe sounds like the flu to me.

Cillaliz, Paul is very talented.  

I’m so glad Killbot is safe.  Good for your neighbor.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 08:21:42 AM »

We can't possibly still be on page one, can we?!?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 08:22:06 AM »

But we are!  We are still on page one!!!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 08:23:07 AM »

Dan (theMan) how are you feeling?

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 08:24:37 AM »

I finally got to the Leslie Caron vocals on the GIGI soundtrack album. Her vocals are almost as bad as Rosalind Russell's were for GYPSY. She seems to have some idea of melody and pitch, but her voice often goes to strange places as she's attempting to sing.

What makes me astounded is that either of these ladies ever got angry when the decision was made to use voice doubles in place of their own vocal tracks. Did they honestly want to appear before millions of people sounding like that?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 08:26:31 AM »

I'll second and third every nice thing said about "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" and I have some very joyful news, of sorts.

The "rumor mill" has long (the past year or so) been saying that the original soundtrack would be issued by one of the "limited edition" labels in a 2-CD set.

A coupla weeks back, someone posted a query to a discussion group I participate in as to whether that rumor might ever be realized when a very reliable source, who won't go named but is one who knows and is one of our very own, said that "extra materials" had been discovered during the restoration process and that a release date had been delayed to include those materials in the final release.

I truly don't know when or how much material or the cost...but I can tell you it's a dream come true for me.

I LOVE THIS FILM, warts and all.  It breaks my heart every time I see it.  It is also uplifting and joyful.

It contains one of the screen's most brilliant lead actor performances with O'Toole's Mr. Chippings.  And Petula Clark's appearance in this and "Finian's Rainbow" constitute two of the finest female film musical performances I've ever seen.

"London is London
Can there be any doubt about it?"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 01:37:30 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 08:28:01 AM »

Also looking forward to S. Epatha Merkerson on last night's LAW & ORDER. Over her many years on the show, she's only gotten a handful of episodes where she has done more than hand out orders to the detectives. She's always been excellent when given some meaty dramatic scenes, so last night's show should be interesting.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 08:28:59 AM »

Favorite romantic score is OUT OF AFRICA.

OUT OF AFRICA is one of my favorites, too.  It's one of the few soundtracks I have on myPod.

When I read TOD, the first score that popped into me head was Max Steiner's NOW, VOYAGER.  And now I keep hearing the main theme over and over in my mind.

It also reminds me of Christopher Durang's A HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN FILM, in which the Paul Henreid character lights two cigarettes and hands the one to the Bette Davis character and she responds, "No, thanks.  I don't smoke."  Then the Paul Henried character attempts to nonchalantly smoke both cigarettes throughout the rest of the scene.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:34:47 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up