Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIKES OF ME  (Read 30889 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE LIKES OF ME
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 08:29:56 AM »

Does MGM-UA/Sony own the DVD rights to the O'Toole/Clark MR. CHIPS or does Warner Bros?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 08:30:27 AM »

The storm moved in last night...and we've been battered, bashed and beaten rather heavily for hours and hours.  It is supposed to let up this afternoon, and things should clear out overnight.

We needed the rain.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 08:31:00 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Two Dance!!![/move]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 08:31:35 AM »

Does MGM-UA/Sony own the DVD rights to the O'Toole/Clark MR. CHIPS or does Warner Bros?

I'm thinking it falls under Turner, which would probably make it a Warner Brothers product for home video.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 08:32:05 AM »

Dan (theMan) how are you feeling?

Still have my head cold.  I don't think Airborne is doing anything for it at this point, but I don't think it's bad enough to switch to anything heavy-duty aside from Tylonal.  At least I'm not feeling any after-effects from the flu shot yesterday.  Thank you for asking. :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2005, 08:34:40 AM »

Speaking of cold meds, has anyone tried that new TheraFlu "strip"?  The one that you just peel out of a plastic pack and put on your tongue to dissolve?

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2005, 08:34:47 AM »

I'm thinking it falls under Turner, which would probably make it a Warner Brothers product for home video.

You're probably right about that. It's hard to know sometimes with later MGM films who controls the rights.

Maybe they're planning another boxed set of musicals that will include this.

I know I read somewhere that THREE LITTLE WORDS, THE PIRATE, IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER, ZIEGFELD FOLLIES, and SUMMER STOCK were being readied for a future musical boxed set.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2005, 08:39:31 AM »

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

re: LOST and INVASION

I have to say right now that I have seldom been as thrilled with a show as I am with LOST.  In fact, it fills a void that hit the airwaves when BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER ended.  

By that, I'm referring to quality story lines, quality performances and interesting plot twists/developments.  Last night's episode was a doozy.  Kate's back story is fascinating.  And the fact that extra footage was found (and there must be more somewhere -- what INCIDENT is the man on film referring to????) concerning the experiment that was going on is riveting.

And where the frell did that horse come from?  

And is Walt really on the other end of that computer communication?

As for INVASION, I am so pleased it has transcended what, to me, started out as a ripoff of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.  This is its own invention and it, too, is fascinating, fun to watch and thought-provoking.

Who'd a thunk it?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2005, 08:42:10 AM »

Speaking of cold meds, has anyone tried that new TheraFlu "strip"?  The one that you just peel out of a plastic pack and put on your tongue to dissolve?

I haven't.  Doesn't seem possible that there would be much of a does of anything in a strip like that, doesn't it?

Something that I bought but also haven't used yet are those Shower Soothers.  They are tablets that are dropped on the shower floor and effervesce some kind of soothing vapor as you cleanse.  I was going to use one the other day but I read on the foil wrapper a warning that the tablet gets hot when it is wet.  I was worried that it might discolor the Rubbermaid mat I have on my shower stall floor, so I need to test one out in the sink first to witness what actually happens when one of these things go off.  Maybe all I need to do is put it in a shallow soap dish.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2005, 08:46:25 AM »

Happy day! Freddy the wandering cat returned to his home at 12:25 am...or at least that is when I woke up to him meowing outside!

He had no explanation for his disappearance and headed straight for his food bowl.

He seemed not at all pleased to see Hildy...but I am sure she had nothing to do with it...I think  ::)

So thank you all for the vibes! They really are quite effective!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:47:19 AM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2005, 08:48:30 AM »

Last night, DR MattH wrote:

"Maybe I was too old to appreciate RUDOLPH when it first aired. I was already 14 or 15, so I felt too grown up for it, I guess."

And now?  You've watched it "again" and...what?...you thought you might have underestimated it 40-something years ago????

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I don't believe you'll never watch it again.  I think you'll watch it often...and you'll love it.  That's what I think.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:49:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2005, 08:52:40 AM »

Welcome home Freddy!  

DR RLP - never has CD news been more welcome.  Hello, "Goodbye."

And I have to agree that Clark was warm and wonderful in CHIPS and RAINBOW....  Of course she had done many films as a child & teen, so she wasn't a film novice, but her special qualities were perfect for the roles she played in those movies.  She and O'Toole made a sweet couple.  How is the DVD version of this?  I only have the VHS.

As to the vocals of Caron and Russell....dammit, DR MATTH, how many times does Rosalind have to say it....NO ONE DID ANY OF HER DUBBING for GYPSY...it's ALL her!! ALL!!!  Of course when her book came out and Earl Wilson contacted Lisa Kirk for a comment, all that Lisa would say is:  "Then I guess Jack Warner has been sending me those checks all these years out of the goodness of his heart."  :)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2005, 08:52:51 AM »

Re: "Summer Stock" -- this is one of my favorite JG musicals.  Her opening number called "Happy Harvest" ??) is sheer delight!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:54:52 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2005, 08:54:13 AM »

And I have to agree that Clark was warm and wonderful in CHIPS and RAINBOW....  Of course she had done many films as a child & teen, so she wasn't a film novice, but her special qualities were perfect for the roles she played in those movies.  She and O'Toole made a sweet couple.  How is the DVD version of this?  I only have the VHS.

Alas the day..."Chips" the musical is NOT on DVD.  I have it on laserdisc.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2005, 08:54:45 AM »

LOST was very good last night.  It just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Don't use the computer for communication!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2005, 08:57:41 AM »

Last night, DR MattH wrote:

"Maybe I was too old to appreciate RUDOLPH when it first aired. I was already 14 or 15, so I felt too grown up for it, I guess."

And now?  You've watched it "again" and...what?...you thought you might have underestimated it 40-something years ago????

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I don't believe you'll never watch it again.  I think you'll watch it often...and you'll love it.  That's what I think.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Here's the full TRUE story of my RUDOLPH experiences.

I *NEVER* watched it as a teenager. As I tried to explain (but did a poor job with) last night, I guess I felt I was too grown up to appreciate what the commercials for it seemed to suggest was a kiddie special.

The only time in my life I had ever seen it apart from last night was three or four years ago when my friend John showed it to me from a commercial videotape as an after holiday dinner treat. I was totally underwhelmed and couldn't understand his enthusiasm for it. (But he's many years my junior and had grown up with the show as many HHWers here obviously did.)

I watched last night strictly to assuage my curiosity about what this show would look like in high definition. My curiosity now sated, I see no need to ever watch it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2005, 08:59:14 AM »

Re: "Summer Stock" -- this is one of my favorite JG musicals.  Her opening number called "Happy Harvest" ??) is sheer delight!

That's her second song. The opening number is Judy in a shower singing "If You Feel Like Singing Sing."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2005, 08:59:21 AM »

I think you LUVVED it, but you just don't want to admit it!

;)  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2005, 09:01:17 AM »

That's her second song. The opening number is Judy in a shower singing "If You Feel Like Singing Sing."

That's a good one, too.  

It has been quite a few years since I last saw it and it's HIGH TIME this film saw the light of day on DVD.

And while they are at it, they can issue "Words and Music," "Till the Clouds Roll By" and "Best Foot Forward."

And they can do a boxed set on the Andy Hardy series. And a boxed set on the Maisie series.  And a boxed Mickey-Judy set, too.

Damn!  They are SLOW!  I'm not getting any younger.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2005, 09:02:52 AM »

Has Jennifer gotten up yet?  Has anyone seen her lurking?

I'm wondering how she's feeling today.

It's no fun being sick, and I'm pretty sure she was quite ill yesterday.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2005, 09:03:10 AM »

I meant to say that I also love "Happy Harvest." For years, I tried to get the soundtrack to SUMMER STOCK primarily to get this number, and it was LONG out of print. I finally found the song on a Judy compilation album on the Metro label for $1. I screamed out loud in the record store when I ran across this LP.

Many years later, I got the 10" LP soundtrack for SUMMER STOCK, and it was later reissued on an MGM LP series of their famous musicals paired with other works.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2005, 09:04:26 AM »

Many years later, I got the 10" LP soundtrack for SUMMER STOCK, and it was later reissued on an MGM LP series of their famous musicals paired with other works.

Did you get that British reissue...the one that paired "If You Feel Like Singing Sing" (the UK title of "Summer Stock") with another musical?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 09:05:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2005, 09:04:56 AM »

That's a good one, too.  

It has been quite a few years since I last saw it and it's HIGH TIME this film saw the light of day on DVD.

And while they are at it, they can issue "Words and Music," "Till the Clouds Roll By" and "Best Foot Forward."

And they can do a boxed set on the Andy Hardy series. And a boxed set on the Maisie series.  And a boxed Mickey-Judy set, too.

Damn!  They are SLOW!  I'm not getting any younger.

I agree, and I think Warners knows the treasure trove of stuff they have and is doling it out carefully. THE THIN MAN and ASTAIRE-ROGERS sold better than they ever imagined it would.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2005, 09:05:17 AM »

I finally found the song on a Judy compilation album on the Metro label for $1. I screamed out loud in the record store when I ran across this LP.

That was YOU???!!!!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2005, 09:05:44 AM »

Another Romantic Film Score:  John Barry's score to ROBIN & MARIAN.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2005, 09:06:53 AM »

Did you get that British reissue...the one that paired "If You Feel Like Singing Sing" (the UK title of "Summer Stock") with another musical?

No, it was on THOSE CLASSIC MGM MUSICALS combined with EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS and I LOVE MELVIN.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

And one of my favorite "romantic scores" -- Hugo Friedhofer's adaptations/arrangements & original music for "An Affair to Remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »

And who here has heard Michel Legrand's stunning (IMO) "Wuthering Heights"?

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2005, 09:08:18 AM »

That was YOU???!!!!

You bet! I had no idea these LPs existed and snapped up a bunch of those Metro soundtracks and compilation LPs. What a bargain even if they did omit some of the tracks from the "official" MGM soundtracks.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2005, 09:08:39 AM »

DR Jennifer, my sister finally replied to my message about her sore throat cure:

Mix 1/2 cup of honey with 1/2 cup of vinegar and store in a jar.  Take two tablespoons and gargle (yes you can do this one spoonful at a time) and swallow.  Do this 2-3 times a day till throat feels better.

She swears by it.  I've never tried it myself, though.

I will try this, although I wonder if it matters what type of honey you use. I don't have the clear kind. I have the thick one that I use for baking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up