Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE-NOTE NOTES  (Read 21490 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:ONE-NOTE NOTES
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2005, 06:29:13 PM »

And one for Mahler! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2005, 06:31:06 PM »

Now, it's time to leave work.  I'm off for a bit of shopping, then home.  Later! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2005, 07:05:57 PM »

Yes, DR JRand55, Gloria Henry was a wonderful Alice Mitchell...in fact the whole cast of that show fit the comic strip characters perfectly!

Gloria was in 3 episodes of MY LITTLE MARGIE as well as working with Gale Storm in a couple of movies...and she made some interesting B films.

I for one would love to see her film AIR HOSTESS!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Love Flies High with... AIR HOSTESS! lol![/move]

...a movie which, by the way, also starred two other future sitcom moms...Marjorie Lord and Barbara Billingsley!

Ben

« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2005, 07:16:37 PM »

Here I am after a day of volunteering and Christmas tree decorating feeling nicely relaxed and happy.

Anthony is watching Monk and I'm posting.

Jason, regarding Miss Chita, my feelings are similar to yours. Although I loved seeing her there is something missing from the show. It's hard to put into words but as you said, it's like seeing her do something that 30 or 20 years ago was wonderful but now just makes you want to go back in time to see the real thing (did that make sense?). I'm glad I saw the show and listening to her stories is great fun but It's missing a spark. I don't want to constantly compare her to Elaine Stritch or Barbara Cook who is also a long-time fixture and while she doesn't act anymore she still performs and does it like no one else, IMHO. They both have an energy and a spark in their performances that have you on your feet the minute the show is over. I know Miss Rivera's show needed some kind of dramatic hook, but I don't think the Terrence McNally book works that well. It's full of stagey dialogue and it skims so many things. I did want to hear more about Merlin, not just a brief sentence. I wanted to something about the shows that should not have come into Broadway. Don't get me wrong, there were some great moments, including the second act A Woman the World Has Never Seen, but it's not the great story I expected or wanted. She's been in the business for over 50 years. She has held up well for a woman who had what was to be a career ending auto accident 20 years ago. But I wanted something more. What, I'm not quite sure. I went away glad that I saw the show but it left me, like Jason, rather wistful. The show didn't leave me wanting more in the good sense, it left me wanting something else.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 07:22:30 PM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2005, 07:17:27 PM »

BTW, Danise, thanks for the picture CD. It's great to look at the things I didn't get to see, like the Zoo and the Walking Tour.

Ben

« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2005, 07:18:29 PM »

We have no plans for the rest of the weekend. Perhaps I will catch up and post a few times on Saturday and Sunday. I actually have a couple of days from after Thanksgiving to read.

MBarnum

« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »

I have found a home for Hildy!

A gal that my sister works with, and her husband, came over tonight to see the dog and were so impressed with Hildy that they called me later and told me they would love to give her a good home! They have a 9 year old son who has been wanting a dog very badly, and they decided that Hildy was so well behaved that she would make a wonderful pet.

I am very happy, as they are really nice people and and I have no worries about them taking Hildy. I will miss her very, very much, but I will no be able to breath better...my face won't be breaking out in red splotches so much...and my head congestions will take a rest!

And I have vowed to stop going to the Humance Society and looking at the animals!!

Jason

« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2005, 07:50:12 PM »

They just announced that we (New York) may get 1-2" of snow on Sunday and possibly 6" more on Monday! FINALLY, IT'S WINTER!!!

Jason

« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »

DR MBarnum: I'm so glad you found Hildy a home. I'm sorry she won't be able to stay with you, but I think you and Freddy will both be feeling a whole lot better once she's in her new home.

DR Ben: I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was feeling really crummy about not enjoying the show more. And wouldn't you know I found out today that I'm seeing the show two more times next weekend...

Well...I best start getting ready for bed. I think I may head up to the Bronx again tomorrow... :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 07:53:44 PM by Jason »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2005, 08:18:43 PM »

Had a full night of video viewing, but was right in the middle of something and just let the DVR pick up MONK. I'll see it tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2005, 08:22:45 PM »

Finished DEATH AND THE MAIDEN. It didn't end in quite the way I expected and was just a bit of a letdown. The movie for the most part was pwoerful and engaging in the emotions, but that ending was not satisfactory.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2005, 08:26:13 PM »

SECRET WINDOW, well, I guessed the "secret" about 40 minutes in. Should have gotten it sooner, but suffice to say the revelation was no surprise. Since it wasn't, I can't be wildly enthusiastic about the film. Depp did a passably fine job but wonderful folks like Len Cariou and Timothy Hutton sure were wasted.

I have not read the Stephen King story on which this was based, but if the movie was true to King's story, all I can say is that King has obviously read Edgar Allan Poe's "William Wilson" or at the very least seen THE EYES OF LAURA MARS.

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2005, 08:28:33 PM »

Then, I put in the laserdisc of THE WIZARD OF OZ to listen once more to John Fricke's complete audio commentary uninterrupted by the comments of others (a la the new DVD package). There were longer gaps between some of his comments than I had remembered, but he still managed to fit more information onto the laser than is on the DVD. There were a couple of things mentioned on the DVD track not on the laser including the continuity gaffe with Judy's ruby slippers in the apple orchard sequence, but overall, I still prefer the laser commentary.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2005, 08:31:13 PM »

So, for tomorrow, I'll have tonight's MONK and the DVD of ALIEN 3 which I started yesterday.

I erased REUNION without watching it. I read on the internet that the staff writers could not find a way to condense the season-long mystery to end it by episode 13, so they're just going to write and leaving the audience hanging as to the murderer's identity.

Well, that was all I needed to know to cease immediately any loyalty to the show. No need to continue watching if the central mystery to the series isn't going to be solved. Bah!

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2005, 08:32:54 PM »

I just noticed that the next set of Fox noirs is released next week, too. How great to get them!

Matt H.

« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2005, 08:35:10 PM »

I took the OZ continuity script from the laserdisc package and plan to read it tonight. I've only flipped through it during all these years I've had that set, so tonight, I'm going to read the dialog that was cut as well as small scenes like the bees coming out of the Tin Man that were edited.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2005, 08:35:43 PM »

So, with that in mind, I'm heading downstairs for bed.

Good night, all!

MBarnum

« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2005, 08:57:34 PM »

Just finished the two Nancy Drew movies that I taped...what fun! Bonita Granville and Frankie Thomas worked so well together in those films, and you are right JRand54, John Litel looks much younger then I am used to...I think he colored his hair for those movies!

FJL

« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2005, 09:13:19 PM »

Danise -  Got the disc with the pictures.  Thanks for sending it and for the lovely holiday wish.

FJL

« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2005, 09:30:14 PM »

Going back to Chita Rivera's show, and I could talk about it for hours, I think that what happened was a conscious decision to avoid dealing with conflict in the first act.  It may have been a bad choice for the true theater devotees, but I think was probably a nod to the mass audience such a relatively "expensive" performer's-bio show would need to last and turn a profit.  Will it get that mass audience?  I don't know - but while I really wanted tell-all info on BAJOUR, BRING BACK BIRDIE and MERLIN, among others, as well as her marriage to Tony Mordente and relationships with Sammy Davis Jr. and Joe Allen - I guess doing that onstage is just not who Chita is.  How smart, for example, to choreograph her rocky marriage to Mordente rather than talk about it - I found that choice genuinely touching and thrilling, along with the other moments I mentioned in my earlier post.    

And while I'm second to none in love for Barbara Cook, when Cook did Broadway in recent years, it was almost always for a two-performance week and at every performance I saw (which were many) had several charming missteps with lyrics, which Chita Rivera's tightly structured. more logistically ambitious show would not tolerate, but was so charming in Barbara Cook's format.

Jed

« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2005, 10:24:23 PM »

Whooo are youu???

A hint that we need to come visit you at the home a little more often?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2005, 10:38:09 PM »

A hint that we need to come visit you at the home a little more often?

No, then I would remember who put me in the home!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2005, 10:39:44 PM »

I just got back from seeing Tacoma Little Theatre's holiday production of THE SECRET GARDEN.

They should have kept it a secret.
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2005, 10:40:55 PM »

I don't feel too bad about missing it then.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2005, 10:42:34 PM »

I don't feel too bad about missing it then.

[size=48]NO![/size]
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2005, 10:42:55 PM »

Does anyone here ever get sick to death of an overused expression?

Examples, please.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2005, 10:44:03 PM »

No, then I would remember who put me in the home!

Yes, he said he would call it a home when he took you there.

Doesn't it seem strange, though, that "the home" has bars on the windows and uniformed orderlies?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2005, 10:51:29 PM »

Does anyone here ever get sick to death of an overused expression?

Examples, please.

Well, Duh!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2005, 10:52:34 PM »

Yes, he said he would call it a home when he took you there.

Doesn't it seem strange, though, that "the home" has bars on the windows and uniformed orderlies?

:D

But they are all very nice to me, and they give me pills.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2005, 11:02:53 PM »

Back from a really tough band rehearsal with the singers.  Simply trying to shove too much stuff into too short a time.  I'm completely exhausted, and I've been talking loudly for seven hours straight, so I hope I have some voice for the number I'm in.  We got tremendously bogged down with my song from Comedy of Errors because my musical director hadn't even looked at the song once, let alone played the recording I gave him (at least it didn't sound like he had), so we spent an hour working on it (slated for twenty minutes) and I'm still afraid it's going to be very rough, and I'm almost tempted to play it myself.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up