Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE-NOTE NOTES  (Read 21257 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:ONE-NOTE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 08:47:17 AM »

Here's another story of a cat who came back.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2005, 08:50:52 AM »

PAGE TWO DANCE:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2005, 08:52:09 AM »

Well, lunch plans have firmed up a little bit. It's going to be earlier than usual, and I'm waiting now for my friend John to arrive.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2005, 08:53:01 AM »

If your TV has a good interlacer, you may not need the progressive scan aspect of the DVD. Be sure you have your 3:2 pulldown turned on. Different TVs call it different things. Mine calls it "Natural Cinema" which I leave turned on rather than on auto. (But I also have progressive scan on the DVD players turned on, too.)

Oy.  3:2 Pulldown.  Natural Cinema.  I haven't seen anything even vaguely resembling that on the Menu options.  There is something called "Phase" that I was wondering about, but I can't access it--it pops up as a submenu on the "Picture Mode" menu, but this TV only has 3 presets, none of which are changeable, and a fourth "Custom" option which doesn't allow me into the "Phase" submenu.  This TV is quite remarkable, but (as usual) the manual seems to have been translated from Swahili by monkeys and frequently makes no sense, and also does not reference many features of the TV.  So I've been in experimentation mode for the last couple of weeks.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2005, 08:53:24 AM »

Off to do errands - some banking and to find replacement bulbs for the bubble lights so I can finish decorating the mantle.  Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2005, 09:05:36 AM »

Oy.  3:2 Pulldown.  Natural Cinema.  I haven't seen anything even vaguely resembling that on the Menu options.  There is something called "Phase" that I was wondering about, but I can't access it--it pops up as a submenu on the "Picture Mode" menu, but this TV only has 3 presets, none of which are changeable, and a fourth "Custom" option which doesn't allow me into the "Phase" submenu.  This TV is quite remarkable, but (as usual) the manual seems to have been translated from Swahili by monkeys and frequently makes no sense, and also does not reference many features of the TV.  So I've been in experimentation mode for the last couple of weeks.

I've never read a manual for electronics that was especially well written or answered all questions.

See if the manual mentions anything about the difference between film's 24 frames-per-second and video's 30 frames-per-second. 3:2 pulldown helps alleviate this difference.

What does your maual say that "Phase" means?

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2005, 09:07:17 AM »

Hmmmm........

Lunch may not be later than usual after all.  :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2005, 09:07:19 AM »

DR JMK - sometimes by putting your TV Model number in and doing a search you can find some interesting things on message boards that consumers have discovered.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2005, 09:08:15 AM »

I AM looking forward to a new holiday edition of MONK tonight.

There is nothing else on TV that interests me.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2005, 09:08:50 AM »

Still no luck with VARIETY's website.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2005, 09:17:03 AM »

Kool Kong Site for anyone interested:

http://www.kingkongmovie.com/

Howard Shore was working on the score, then left over "differences" with the director.  The score is now credited to one guy with "additional music" and "ambient music" credited to another guy.

What is "ambient music" - is it the same thing as "source music"?  ???

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »

"Smallville" will have a Christmas episode next week called "Lex-mas" ... judging from the previews, it gives Lex a view of what his life would be if he deviates from the path he's on and chooses to take another...a look at "a Wonderful Life" he MIGHT have rather than the life we all know Lex Luthor embarks upon.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2005, 09:22:10 AM »

Howard Shore was working on the score, then left over "differences" with the director.  The score is now credited to one guy with "additional music" and "ambient music" credited to another guy.

What is "ambient music" - is it the same thing as "source music"?  ???

You mean, is it "diagetic" vs. "non-diagetic"?

I think "Yes" is your answer.

Normally, I think of "ambient" in terms of "sounds", such as the sound of a waterfall, or rain, or the sound of a train chugging down tracks, etc.    While this can be captured on film, too many other sounds interfere, so they are more often added in later by the Foley team.  I think "ambient music" might refer to the music that can be heard in any given location...such as a mall or an elevator or store where music plays over the store's system...part of the "ambience" of the locale.  

And, of course, this is also called "source" music, such as music coming over a radio or music that an orchestra plays in a nightclub sequence, etc.  In "King Kong," it could mean the music the natives play during their rites/rituals.  It could be the music of a marching band during a parade.  Someone credited for "ambient music" need not have written it...but might have secured the rights for it, whatever it is.

This type of music in movies is often referred to as "diagetic", while the underscore (the film's original music that some of us are always aware of but many are not unless there's a pretty theme or song, such as Lara's Theme or Moon River) is "non-diagetic."  (In the case of Moon River, it's diagetic only when Audrey sings it on camera...all the orchestral occurrences during the film are non-diagetic).

Lots of discussion -- most of which fries my brain -- has taken up bandwidth in various discussion forums on this topic.  Folks who like to discuss this will most like say my explanation is very simplistic because there are so many variables "they" like to ponder and argue.  But I think I've presented the gist of it...in simple terms.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 10:00:28 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2005, 09:35:52 AM »

My gosh.  It's 9:36 a.m. PST, and I'm the only one here.

Did everyone go to lunch on the east coast?

And where are our West Coasties?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2005, 09:43:45 AM »

Kool Kong Site for anyone interested:

http://www.kingkongmovie.com/

The original score has been written by James Newton Howard, who has a pretty impressive set of credentials -- he is M. Night Shyamalan's composer of choice and has scored all his big films -- and is represented by the same management as Howard Shore.

Shore was apparently unable to meet the deadlines the director was imposing upon him.  Shore writes and orchestrates his own music.  That limits the amount of music he can produce/create in a day's time.

James Newton Howard hired orchestrators to do what Shore prefers doing alone.  It's a creative difference...and with Shore, I believe, a principle.  Jackson knew Shore's work ethic and Shore has been working with Jackson all along.  But something NOT YET REVEALED, so far as I'm concerned, happened to put Shore behind schedule.  It may be that Jackson was able to convince the studio that the film needed to be much longer than they wanted.  I think they saw a longer cut, agreed totally, and Shore was unable to catch up in time for the slated premiere date.

But that's sheer speculation on my part.  And it's a mild scenario compared to what might have happened.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 09:45:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2005, 10:01:42 AM »

Media Check:

DVD: AVENTURERA (1950) (highly recommended by DR JRand55!)

VHS: A couple of Nancy Drew movies and last nights SURVIVOR

CD: Christmas compilation CDs that DRs Jason, Tomovoz and Elmore3003 sent to me during previous Christmas seasons.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2005, 10:02:27 AM »

I must now get ready to interview the mom from a popular early 60s sitcom.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2005, 10:12:45 AM »

I can't say I experienced the sadness Jason felt at the CHITA RIVERA show, which I've now seen twice.  The first time I saw it, I had just wished they had introduced a little more of the conflict in her life into the first act.  I loved the show but at intermission, my thought had been that she'd had such a charmed life and surely there must have been some more that she could have told us about BAJOUR and BRING BACK BIRDIE and MERLIN.  (However, the second time, I knew completely what to expect and had an even better time.)   But there was some real edge in the second act, and the powerhouse 11:00 number (in which Ahrens and Flaherty masterfully wove together a framing vehicle for several of her career highlights) was one of the most exciting experiences I'd had in an audience - ever.  And while I hate to say seat locations make a difference, being in the fourth row for the second viewing allowed a close view of the lady herself (and what she was still capable of doing) that made the show all the more thrilling for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2005, 10:15:33 AM »

The original score has been written by James Newton Howard, who has a pretty impressive set of credentials -- he is M. Night Shyamalan's composer of choice and has scored all his big films -- and is represented by the same management as Howard Shore.

Shore was apparently unable to meet the deadlines the director was imposing upon him.  Shore writes and orchestrates his own music.  That limits the amount of music he can produce/create in a day's time.

James Newton Howard hired orchestrators to do what Shore prefers doing alone.  It's a creative difference...and with Shore, I believe, a principle.  Jackson knew Shore's work ethic and Shore has been working with Jackson all along.  But something NOT YET REVEALED, so far as I'm concerned, happened to put Shore behind schedule.  It may be that Jackson was able to convince the studio that the film needed to be much longer than they wanted.  I think they saw a longer cut, agreed totally, and Shore was unable to catch up in time for the slated premiere date.

But that's sheer speculation on my part.  And it's a mild scenario compared to what might have happened.

No, no, no...  It's obviously the case of a Hollywood wife sleeping with the head of the studio to further her husband's career, leaving behind a trail of drugs, photographs and degradation.  At least, that's how things normally occur in La La Land.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2005, 10:17:48 AM »

And since I'm on a streak of positivity, I did expect an awful lot of the CINDERELLA at Paper Mill after those great reviews, and it didn't disappoint.  Saw the show yesterday, and loved it, despite some noisy kids.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2005, 10:36:27 AM »

Ah....Aventurrerra!!!

I love that movie.  Enough suffering, betrayal, and reversal of fortune for six Joan Crawford movies!  AND musical numbers in banana hats!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2005, 10:37:13 AM »

DRMBARNUM if it's Patricia Crowley, tell her I heard her call one of the sons on PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES by his real name and not his character name once!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2005, 10:40:34 AM »

Thanks for the information DR RLP.  My thought about "source music" is as you wrote....ambient is still somewhat specious to me....  I would think Howard would be responsible for the Jungle Drums music (as Steiner was) - but who knows.

I didn't know Shore did his own orchestrations.  Interesting....and certainly might have let him get behind.  Someday all will be told.  And maybe DtM has the right idea.

When writing credits are listed as "WGA" at IMDB - does that mean that the Guild has gotten involved because so many writers worked on something and they have to decide exactly how much of anybody's was used and who actually GETS a credit?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »

It's 10:40 and I'm still at home...and it's okay. ;) It snowed last night and I got a call from my supervisor that our building won't open until noon!  So, I'm home and not at work.  But I won't stay home for long.  I want to go the bank and out for lunch before I go to work.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2005, 10:53:45 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day:

What will be in my CD player when I get to work:  "The Producers" soundtrack (with the Borders extra bonus track), and "Sondheim Sings, Volume 2."

In my VCR:  A tape to tape (just in case) tonight's "Dateline NBC."  I want to see the new "King Kong" movie, so this'll be fun.  Also, Monday's "Surface."  I keep forgetting that I still have to watch this.  I'll try to watch it tonight since "Ghost Whisperer" is a repeat.  

In my DVD player:  from Netflix:  "Diane Schuur & The Count Basie Orchestra," "Mysterious Skin" and Showtime's "Reefer Madness."  (I hope JMK doesn't mind...I didn't buy it! ;))

And now, I'm off to brave the snows for lunch.  Drive safely, everyone! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2005, 10:59:28 AM »

We're having a crisis here at work this Friday, December 2.

We cannot decide where to eat lunch.

We had a short conflab on it, and still we are undecided, although we may end up at Huynh,  a very good Vietnamese restaurant a few blocks from here.

I HATE IT when things don't flow smoothly!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2005, 11:03:45 AM »

Still gray here.  Trying to relax before going in to LACC - worked with Cindy W. on her patter, which she'll rehearse tonight.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2005, 11:08:29 AM »

Thanks for the information DR RLP.  My thought about "source music" is as you wrote....ambient is still somewhat specious to me....  I would think Howard would be responsible for the Jungle Drums music (as Steiner was) - but who knows.

I didn't know Shore did his own orchestrations.  Interesting....and certainly might have let him get behind.  Someday all will be told.  And maybe DtM has the right idea.

When writing credits are listed as "WGA" at IMDB - does that mean that the Guild has gotten involved because so many writers worked on something and they have to decide exactly how much of anybody's was used and who actually GETS a credit?

Read the first post in the thread this URL connects you to:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.asp?threadID=31310&forumID=1

It's an article by Jon Burlingame on the change of composers and offers quite a bit of insight (though not enough to make me say, "Oh, I see!")

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2005, 11:10:02 AM »

I AM looking forward to a new holiday edition of MONK tonight.

There is nothing else on TV that interests me.

"Ghost Whisperer" may be a repeat, but I never saw the first episode, which is airing tonight.

As for "Monk"...better you than me!

:)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2005, 11:20:04 AM »

It's almost 11:30 a.m., and we haven't even cleared page 2!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up