Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MALADY LINGERS ON  (Read 31720 times)

FJL

Re:THE MALADY LINGERS ON
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2005, 10:24:45 AM »

Congrats, TPunk - your scholastic success is well deserved.

FJL

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2005, 10:26:17 AM »

A dance in honor of TPunk's straight A's:

Well, you'll just have to imagine it - I can't do graphics.

FJL

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2005, 10:32:18 AM »

I'm paraphrasing, but the Hannukah miracle was summarzied by (I believe) Sandra Bernhard as:

Oh good, the candle is lit.
Oh good, the candle's lit another day!
Is the candle lit?  Yeah, isn't that wonderful?
Is it still lit?  Yeah, yeah, it's still lit.
Still lit?  (getting exasperated) Yeah, enough already, it's still lit.
Still lit?  (getting really annoyed) Yeah, the damn thing is still lit! Stop asking already.

FJL

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2005, 10:33:57 AM »

Hmmm...If I really wanted to get to post #900 today, I guess I could have spread that last post into 7 separate posts.

FJL

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2005, 10:39:26 AM »

Jason  - I never quite understood.  How did your mother figure out that the person she was dealing with on Ebay was a fraud?

I would say, however, that it could turn out to be a blessing that such a valuable life lesson was learned for only about $800 or so.  I know it's a lot, but once someone's been burned, they're more likely to be cautious in the future, and she'll obviously always be more careful about all transactions in the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2005, 10:44:06 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I have no idea if I slept one hour or ten because my throat felt scratchy and when that happens I have one night where I just can't fall asleep (or I think I can't).  And, even if I am sleeping I'm dreaming  that I can't fall asleep.  I hate that, but it always happens without fail.  Sometimes I wish it would happen WITH fail because fail always feels left out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2005, 10:44:32 AM »

Until TPunk's other letters arrive, we shall call her TPunk, HHW.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2005, 10:54:32 AM »

Question for anyone of Jewish background:  I have long been told, by my Jewish friends, that they are bemused by the commercialization...and elevation...of Hanukkah alongside Christmas.  They have told me that Hanukkah was always a minor holiday on the Jewish calendar and that it has been inflated into something that it was never meant to be.

Also, there has been talk (oh, yes! Talk!) that Christians should acquire some proportion on their own sense of Christmas when they jump on the everything-is-equal bandwagon this time of year.

But...I say these things not to offend, but to acquire thoughts from others in this forum.

Ron:

Where's the question in your post? :)

Hanukkah is, indeed, a "minor" holiday, in that it's post-biblical in origin, and, unlike the biblical festivals of Passover, Sukkot (Tabernacles), and Shavuot (Pentecost), did not involve a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. The tradition of giving gifts on Hanukkah probably does derive from competition with the Christmas tradition; at any rate, it certainly has no rabbinic basis that I'm aware of.

On the other hand, a significant motif of the lighting of the menorah is the publicizing of the day, so increasing awareness of the holiday, "minor" though it may be, is perfectly in keeping with its spirit.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2005, 10:54:44 AM »

Finally got the courage to listen to the interview Donald Feltham did with Skip and me on the Broadway Radio Show.  We didn't embarrass ourselves too badly, although as Skip says, there are always things you wish you'd said differently.  

Thanks, BK, for arranging it.  It was fun to do, and now that I've listened to it, it wasn't so bad after all.  :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2005, 10:55:29 AM »

Congratulations TPunk.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2005, 11:01:40 AM »

Wow!  Congratulations to TPUNK!!  Straight A's - Mensa is next, I am sure!

What a cute huggable baby.  Thanks for sharing the photo DR ELAN. :)  I love baby pictures!

DR GINNY please stop by tomorrow if you can, I'll be there after three.  Some friends saw the LORT exhibit and had a great time!  I am NOT a great fan (Although I own all three of the movies) so I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as someone who is very knowledgeable about the whole thing!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2005, 11:02:41 AM »

Hmmm.....if the main character in BK's play is a new widow....and yet her husband is listed in the cast as a character....does that spoil a surprise?  Or is it so cleverly constructed that something else is up?  I am confused.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2005, 11:03:47 AM »

I did a bit of shoveling in the snow just so my nephew would know exactly where to shovel....his is busy now.

While I was outside, two people stopped and offered to finish for me for the low price of $20.  

FJL

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2005, 11:05:33 AM »

Yeah, what Elan said.  :)

A side point on Jewish people and the holiday season:  I spent 12 years going to Yeshivah elementary school and high school, and for the first five or six of those 12 years, they had us going to our Hebrew classes though Christmas Day (except for the one year Christmas fell on a Saturday, but we did have  Sunday classes in those days), and intentionally didn't start the winter break until after Christmas Day was over.  At some point, I think it was around 1970, the Yeshivah just decided to stop doing that - some people had argued that it bred some sense of there being a conflict between religions to deliberately have classes run through Christmas.  Of coures, Hannukah not being a holy day, we didn't have off for Hannukah unless it fell during the winter break.  (We did get days off for extra holidays of Sukkoth and Shavuoth, though, so we weren't really being cheated out of holidays off.)  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2005, 11:14:29 AM »

My professor just emailed me my final grade- the grades for my classes are now all in- straight A's!

Just one more semester to go and then I will have letters after my name.

and what will those letters be? PHD? MA? MBA? Enquiring minds want to know what sort of intellectuals we are rubbing elbows with on this here site..... :D

I knew a couple of people who only went to college to get their MRS degree...but I don't think that that's what you're going for. ;)

Otherwise, congratulations, TPunk!  And good luck with the rest of your classes!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2005, 11:16:31 AM »

Jrand - could be flashbacks, could be video - but I shall say nothing.

And has everyone else listened to our current radio show, yes or no?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2005, 11:17:53 AM »

I am learning all about Hannukah today.  How interesting.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2005, 11:18:37 AM »

Ahhh.....interesting. Interesting.....

I shall be hearing the radio show tonight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2005, 11:19:48 AM »

Well....here in Indiana.....I have had directors tell the cast of the DIARY OF ANNE FRANK:  "Everyone put on your menorrahs and light your yamulkes..."

So ANY information is much appreciated.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2005, 11:20:53 AM »

I still cannot listen to the radio show because my dial up at home is slow it times out and there are no speakers on the work computer.

Has there ever been any seroius consideration of my request that the shows be made available on CD or tape?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2005, 11:20:58 AM »

I plan on listening to it tonight, also. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2005, 11:24:56 AM »

I still cannot listen to the radio show because my dial up at home is slow it times out and there are no speakers on the work computer.

Has there ever been any seroius consideration of my request that the shows be made available on CD or tape?

There are some people here who can make their own CDs of Donald's shows...and have...and plan to tonight (but don't tell anyone! ;) )

Jed

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2005, 11:27:10 AM »

Congrats, TPunk!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

François de Paris

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2005, 11:27:26 AM »

TOTD:
DVDs last viewed - (1) A King In New York
                               (2) Racing Stripes

CDs: Percy Faith - Columbia Singles 1959 - 1967
                             Good tracks but some notes would have been useful.  Where were the Themes from "A Summer Place" and "Sons And Lovers"  and "Theme For Young Lovers"? Very odd.
Maybe DR JMK has the answers?

I don't really know (!) but, if those versions were also released on Lps, they might be on the cd version of the Lp release.

Am I making sense? No more than usual, right? :D

Jed

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2005, 11:39:58 AM »

Vixmom - I can confirm for you right now that that is indeed the song Ann is singing this weekend.  By the way, she sounds fantastic... I got to play piano for her as she practiced last night. :D

I'm sure she'll talk to you about getting hold of the music when she gets home from work this evening.

François de Paris

« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2005, 11:45:24 AM »

Didn't Fabrizio sing something in "Piazza" about "It's like a malady/like there you go"?

recent DVDs: Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (can't remember which is currently in there)

CD: Luke Sandford's "Shimmer"

Oh, and in the better-late-than-never dept... The Lovely Wife(tm) was shocked to walk into our living room to find me sleeping with a younger man (Meishar Shimon made his debut October 6th):

I don't know, dear readers, but, for Xmas, I think we should all pitch in and offer Daddy & baby a.... BED!

Now, who's watching over who on that cute pic??? :)

George

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2005, 11:53:40 AM »

In my CD player:  BK's "The Stephen Sondheim Album," after that will be the original soundtrack to "The Producers" that I got from Borders (with an extra Borders-only bonus track!).

In my DVD player:  the new release of "The Muppet Movie."  I also just ordered the new "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas."  Even though this new release doesn't have Kermit anymore, it otherwise has all the dialog that was cut from the first video/DVD release (which I have, also).

In my VCR:  a tape to tape tonight's "Ghost Whisperer" and "20/20," where they're supposed to do a segment on LaChanze!  After those will be Wednesday's episode of Martha Stewart's "The Apprentice."

Jed

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »

A question for everyone: In these politically correct times, do you still like to say "Merry Christmas," or "Happy Holidays?"

I'm very much a "Merry Christmas" guy.  I have very little patience for December's ultra political correctness.  It just gets so ridiculous, going so far that a local elementary school principal has done away with the "giving tree" in the office, as the word "tree" being used in December implies Christmas and, therefore, Christianity.  Ugh!

I also find it funny that only the majority can ever be un-P.C.  My degree is in music education, and I can tell you that you can program as much Hanukkah music and such as you like with no complaint whatsoever from anybody.  But dare program one song for your December concert that mentions Jesus and all hell breaks loose.

Bear in mind that this is coming from an agnostic guy whose only trips to a church in his life have been for weddings and choir concerts.  I just don't see it as anything to get so wound up about.  For many people (myself included), Christmas is a societal holiday just as much as a religious one.  Public acknowledgement that it's happening isn't going to be catastrophic for anybody, even if it is religion based.

SWoody, I loved that little Christmas rant animation link that you posted a few days back.  It has supplied me with my new holiday mantra…
'Tis the season to shut the f*** up and stop being a whiny little b****!  ;D

vixmom

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2005, 12:00:27 PM »

There are some people here who can make their own CDs of Donald's shows...and have...and plan to tonight (but don't tell anyone! ;) )

If such people or persons or person were able to make a copy and send it to a certain other person,that other person would be very grateful

;)l

vixmom

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2005, 12:04:39 PM »

Vixmom - I can confirm for you right now that that is indeed the song Ann is singing this weekend.  By the way, she sounds fantastic... I got to play piano for her as she practiced last night. :D

I'm sure she'll talk to you about getting hold of the music when she gets home from work this evening.

That would be a wonderful thing... the only versions we have been able to locate were arrangements for choral groups and the Vixter wants the solo version

Will there be a recording or videoing of Ann's performance?

I knew Ann sang, but I never knewed  you played the pianny!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up