Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAVEN FOREFEND  (Read 26048 times)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HEAVEN FOREFEND
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2003, 11:20:44 AM »

p.s. Where are MY wedding proposals...???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2003, 11:21:03 AM »

Yes, I'll be mentioning the Kritzer books and Nudie DVD as gifts, and there'll be free shipping for anyone buying for xmas.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2003, 11:22:01 AM »

Congrats, Jennifer!  I will try and address the God/Goddess thing for you, okay?  Though Mark may just like the idea of unisex Gods, I don't know!

Hera was Zeus' wife and the goddess of marriage and childbearing, I believe. (So ironic that I got her!) She was famous for tracking down the nymphs and chicks that Zeus was cheating on her with and turning them into animals and trees and things.  

Thanks, WEL!  It probably is a rights problem with the movie version...didn't the Annie Get Your Gun movie have one until just recently?

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2003, 11:22:54 AM »

How wonderful to be amongst friends. My first check in at HHW (Thanksgivings Day here) and so much to be thankful for - your kind thoughts shall indeed be delivered to Colin this morning. He probably does not need to know that the dogs slept on the bed.
DR Mr Dale: The surgeon really is a delight. He rang last night to assure me the Colin was fine. I'll see if he does home visits internationally. Now back to page 2!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2003, 11:25:42 AM »

Congrats, Jennifer!  I will try and address the God/Goddess thing for you, okay?  Though Mark may just like the idea of unisex Gods, I don't know!

Hera was Zeus' wife and the goddess of marriage and childbearing, I believe. (So ironic that I got her!) She was famous for tracking down the nymphs and chicks that Zeus was cheating on her with and turning them into animals and trees and things.  

It doesn't matter what he wants. What do YOU want? :)

So you are the goddess of marriage and childbearing. That is funny.

I am the goddess of love and beauty. And I think prostitution? I forget what else it said. But it was funny.

Btw, don't turn anyone here into an animal please!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2003, 11:26:15 AM »

TCB - go watch your tape.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2003, 11:27:28 AM »

TCB:  Looks more like a play on words -- "rifle through" & "that gun going off", although I'm not at all certain what he meant might happen!   :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2003, 11:31:55 AM »

Another two pages and more wishes to passon to Colin from you delightful Kimlets. Thank you all. Whilst I slept (WHY DID NO-ONE WAKE ME?) Heaven welcomes a GODDESS. Rather than say "at last someone to the cleaning", I shall say WELCOME JENNIFER - you have indeed worked hard for your heavenly reward.
Kerry: Thanks. Positive reinforcement - the photo stays. (It was taken just before my elevation to these dizzy heights).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2003, 11:33:31 AM »

Why is Pacific Time mean?  Is Eastern Time or Central Time nicer?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2003, 11:39:32 AM »

Welcome home DR Philip.

Doctors: My favourite "Cut in " recordings from the 1960s are/were Mickey Shore's "Dr Ben Basey" and Dickie Goodman's "Ben Crazy". One of my favourite novelty songs from the same era was John D Loudermilk's "Calling Dr Casey". I was not such a fan of "Three Stars Will Shine Tonight" as sung by Dr Kildare.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2003, 11:40:47 AM »

DR WEL, I am not sure why Pacific time is mean, but Greenwich time is mean as well.  Curious.

And yes, as you say, the Where's Charley musical is not shown very often on television.  

I am reminded though of Miss Judy Garland's summation of Mr Ray Bolger's particular talent during the filming of "THE HARVEY GIRLS" when she said while watching him work:  "Hmmmm.....different music - same goddamn dance."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2003, 11:42:12 AM »

Question for DR Tom of Oz:  Couldn't you have found a BLUE shirt to wear for the photo?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 11:42:34 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2003, 11:44:06 AM »

I'm assuming "The heart must bleed, not slobber." is Loesser's quote.  I got it from the Frank Loesser songbook, in the introduction to The Most Happy Fella section:

"Loesser, although a deeply sentimental person himself, detested oversentimentality onstage;  he took as his working slogan "The heart must bleed, not slobber. " The Most Happy Fella does not slobber, but it does make the heart bleed."

I have also found it a useful phrase particuarly when working with young creative executives (and they're usually neither creative or much of an executive) and young writers, who cannot distinguish between pathos and bathos, sentiment and rank sentimentality.  I think it also makes a great watchword for all artists, who if not careful can go from a real poignancy of the heart into self-indulgent self-pity or self-obssession, both in their work and in their life.

Thanksgiving delicious side-dishes:  hate giblets, love dressing if it is not too gussied up with extraneous crap and frou-frou...keep it pretty much bread, meat, nuts.  Never much saw the point of cranberry sauce.

Roles I like to play:  Cyrano DeBergerac, Richard III,  Richard II, Flamineo in Webster's THE WHITE DEVIL,  Pizarro in Shaffer's ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN,  Edward Damson in Shaffer's THE GIFT OF THE GORGON (the best play I've read in the last ten years), Henry II in both BECKETT & LION IN WINTER, and though I'm not a song and dance guy, I would love to do the The Poet in KISMET, Capt. Hook in PETER PAN (I'd love to do it in a non-musical version as well), and Jack Cassidy's role in SHE LOVES ME so I could sing ILLONA, or Cassidy's role in SUPERMAN just so I could sing YOU'RE THE WOMAN FOR THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING.  There are scads of other roles I loved to play.

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2003, 11:45:55 AM »

Hey, my best wishes for Colin's speedy recovery too! :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2003, 11:48:04 AM »

What I had to go through to please the photographer! The blue shirt was BEAR selected - bare would have been too unseemly.

WEL: Is life more fun if you "vocalise"? "Athena" was one of the first recordings I bought. (10" album). I have never seen the film but last year did buy the CD.
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2003, 11:50:20 AM »

Another two pages and more wishes to passon to Colin from you delightful Kimlets. Thank you all. Whilst I slept (WHY DID NO-ONE WAKE ME?) Heaven welcomes a GODDESS. Rather than say "at last someone to the cleaning", I shall say WELCOME JENNIFER - you have indeed worked hard for your heavenly reward.
Kerry: Thanks. Positive reinforcement - the photo stays. (It was taken just before my elevation to these dizzy heights).

Thanks.  Btw, can you recap what happened to Colin (there are so many posts and I'm sorry I must have missed it).

Btw, I have never heard of giblets.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2003, 11:51:16 AM »

And thanks to you MBarnum. (The Dorothy Provine discs were fom Colin 's collection). I doubt if Colin has bought more than six CDs - why bother when I am more than willing to spend money in that direction. He does have a large collection of records form the Ray Conniff and Percy Faith era.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2003, 11:52:56 AM »

Thanks Jennifer. Go back to page 1 - about post #5 I think.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2003, 11:54:01 AM »

#6.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2003, 11:54:09 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks the art direction in ATHENA is very similar to that in the next year's MGM science fiction thriller FORBIDDEN PLANET?

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2003, 11:56:29 AM »

And btw, has DR Ben left already. The celebration is not the same without him!

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2003, 11:56:54 AM »

JRand53, I forgot to answer your earlier question. Yes I did find DPs address. If you would like it just let me know and I shall e-mail it to you! Maybe I will watch her film LIVE FAST, DIE YOUNG this weekend!

Jennifer

« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2003, 12:00:49 PM »

Thanks Jennifer. Go back to page 1 - about post #5 I think.

Thanks I went back and read it. I hope everything will be okay.  And I'm sorry that I was too busy fooling around to notice your post the first time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2003, 12:05:44 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmm..........favorite roles I have played:

Frank Galbraith Sr in Cheaper by the Dozen

Mel in The Prisoner of Second Avenue

Hysterium in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Felix in The Odd Couple

Narrator in Into the Woods

Father Drobney in Don't Drink the Water

Dr Dussell the crabby dentist in The Diary of Anne Frank

The roles I would like to play are legion!  ;D  But since I am like Vera Charles (somewhere between 40 and death) some may be beyond my reach.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 12:07:06 PM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2003, 12:28:24 PM »

I'm about to go out and get lunch, which I'll bring back so I can eat and read your excellent posts at the same time.  Maybe I'll read my sandwich and eat your posts, just to be contrary.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2003, 12:37:35 PM »

I haven't seen ATHENA in years but I remember it reminded me of a musical version of "Physique Pictorial" magazine.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2003, 12:47:25 PM »

The original artwork:
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2003, 01:10:41 PM »

p.s. Where are MY wedding proposals...???

we don't need to MENTION all of Craig's proposals of marriage.  They a state of being m'boy (or at least for me they are) :)

But... if it would make you happy, I'll propose to you too (using swishy's non-belligerent technique):

Craig, you rock my world.  Will you marry me?  :-*
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2003, 01:19:12 PM »

Thank you for asking, DR MBarnum. I got three of the four MARPLEs. The recorder choked on MURDER AHOY for some reason a mere 38 seconds into the recording. The blank DVD-R may have been damaged, or the recorder may have been having a revolt since it had been running since 7:30 in the morning. In any event, I got three of the four, and I'll get MURDER AHOY another time since TCM runs the MARPLEs every few months. I have it on videotape in case I get lonely for it anyway.

My DVD recorder also comes with an 80 gig hard drive, and when I finished recording the last MARPLE on a DVD-R (MURDER MOST FOUL which, as you said, finds Jane Marple involved with a theater company), I switched over to the hard drive to get the two Hildegarde Withers' mysteries which I may dub to DVD-Rs after I watched them again.

DR Ron, you write with such elegance and passion about your film score hobby. It's a pleasure to read someone who feels so strongly about his hobby. I hope you don't let a few neysayers ruin your excitement about finally getting an almost complete THE ROBE.

WHERE'S CHARLEY must have something of a curse on it. Not only was there no cast album made, but the film seems to be in some kind of Twilight Zone of rights complications and is never shown any more. Some canny producer (BK, are you listening) needs to assemble a sterling cast and commit this score to a definitive recording.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2003, 01:21:31 PM »

Where is everybody?

Aphrodite has spoken :)
(sorry, just having fun here).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up