Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HAB GUBMUH  (Read 57017 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HAB GUBMUH
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:11:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the secrets revealed in the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're nibbling on some hab gumbuh right now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 12:08:55 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HAB GUBMUH
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 12:13:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: HABERDASHER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 12:14:37 AM »

I find it just a wee bit disheartening that yesterday we had less posts than the weekend.  It's Christmas, you know, so let's get some serious postin' goin' on, shall we?

HABERDASHER, baby, HABERDASHER!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 01:14:25 AM »

I posted a few comments at the end of yesterday (not realizing that there was a new day) because yesterday was not yet locked!  So, I was still able to post in yesterday's posts.  Anyway, here's a question that I asked YESTERDAY:

So here's a question about professionals learing lines.  Is there a contractually obligated time limit or a fine if lines aren't learned on time?  I know rehearsals are always limited and actors have to learn their lines, but what happens if professional actors don't?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 01:20:29 AM »

This is cool!  I can quote a post from yesterday:

I CAN STILL POST TODAY BUT TOMORROWS NOTES ARE ALREADY UP AND RUNNING!

And in yesterday's posts, I can quote THIS message! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 01:24:01 AM »

Okay, I'll stop now.  Goodnight...two guests. :)

Michael

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 02:21:56 AM »

TOD

Any of the Christmas Carol/Scrooge films. Most of them have wonderful Scrooges. Some of my favorties are Alistar Sim, Albert Finney and George C. Scott.

Favorite Carols.

Burnett
Channing
O'Connor

but seriously

Oh Come All Ye Faithful as sung by Julie Andrews
Never stop dreaming.

Jed

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 02:56:03 AM »

I find it just a wee bit disheartening that yesterday we had less posts than the weekend.  It's Christmas, you know, so let's get some serious postin' goin' on, shall we?

More posts than Sunday and one short of Saturday.  My goodness, you're easily disheartened!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jason

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 03:20:56 AM »

Good morning. Well...I don't know how good it is. The strike is on.

More later...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 04:08:19 AM »

Haber, Dasher!  Haber, Comet and Blitzen!  Haber, Cupid and Vixen!  Haber away, Haber away all!!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 04:11:10 AM »

New Yawkers are going to be doing a lot more walking than usual.

Wearing Manolo Blahniks is not recommended.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 04:12:24 AM »

Good morning, Elmore!  Hope you don't have to walk all over the place today!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 04:14:22 AM »

And with that, I must get ready for work.  A very early day today, to be followed with a trip to the Grandlads' house, to deliver presents that are coming from Santa.

What fun.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:16:26 AM by S. Woody White »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 04:16:43 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yes, the strike is on!  I find the MTA workers' demands excessively high, but I also have to say I have no idea what the final offer they rejected was.  Luckily, I have things to do at home today, and I can actually work at home for the next few days.  I do need to hit the post office this morning before I accomplish anything else.

TOD:  I'm fond of Christmas music, so I have too many things to list.  Elaine Stritch wanted to do a funny song I only heard of this year, "Santa lost a ho," and it's in the "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" mode.

Christmas songs:  
   I'll Be Home for Christmas
   Home for the Holidays
   Suzy Snowflake (one of the dumbest things ever)
   Sleigh Ride
   Winter Wonderland
   Let it Snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

Movies?  Elf!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:17:04 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 05:12:50 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!...

And the first bit of news I heard/saw on "The Today Show" this morning was about the Transit Strike in New York City.  Ah, well...  Let's hope it doesn't last long, and I also hope that all 'stranded'  New Yawkers and New Yorkers will be able to get to work today in a timely and safe and "cheap" manner, and/or have very understanding bosses.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 05:20:02 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

"Angels We Have Heard On High" - It's all about that descant for the refrain.
"Away In A Manger" - Both versions.
"The Boar's Head Carol" - I still remember the Yale Whiffenpoofs singing this on "Saturday Night Live".  :)

"The Christmas Song" - Nat King Cole
"Mary, Did You Know" - Kathy Mattea
"It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" - Andy Williams(?) - Well, at least for those funny Staples' back-to-school commercials.  ;D
"Christmas Time Is Here" - I think I have either Patti Austin and/or Dianne Schurr singing this. Oh, and Diana Krall.

...And that's my list for now...  I need some breakfast.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 05:42:49 AM »

Best Christmas film ever! Period! No argument!  No discussion!  A CHRISTMAS CAROL with the brilliant Alistair Sim, the definitive Scrooge!

George, Firing is what usually happens when an actor doesn't learn his lines, though I've worked in productions where some well-known actors never quite learned their lines.  Not fun.

My favourite story about learning lines.  Ron Liebman was doing Richard III at the Dallas Summer Shakespeare Festival one year.  Every night, right before the show, he would nervously go over and over his opening lines.  One night he turned to a fellow actor backstage as he was doing this and blurted out:  "You know all those little f@#kers who come up to you after a show and asked: 'How d'ya learn all them lines?' Well...THEY'RE RIGHT!"

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 05:45:23 AM »

Rodzinski and I aren't going to work.  His bosses seem pretty understanding and he is salaried so I think he should be okay- as long as the strike ends soon and he is able to get to work to finish everything up so that we can leave on Friday night.

Today is a GMHC day for me and they are super understanding and know that I cannot get 160 blocks (approx 8-9 miles) to work during the strike. The problem is that I am an hourly employee and so I will not earn any money for the shifts I cannot do.  And that is my only source of income right now...

I think that the transit workers union has gone too far, and even though I seriously question the MTA's business practices, it's hard for me to support the workers.  I think they are being very unrealistic with their demands.  As you guys know, I'm training to become a social worker, and when I graduate in May with my masters degree, I will make nowhere near what the transit workers make.  And I will have to pay for a portion of my health coverage, and I will have no hope of retiring at age 55 without a winning lottery ticket.  And that's okay because it's what I chose.

But, tomorrow, I won't be able to get to work at my internship, and I won't be able to tell my children why I'm not there.    Each day that passes where I cannot get to work, I will have less sympathy for the workers.  I'm all for the process of negotiations and striking, but not when the demands have gotten out of control.  I don't want to diminish the job that they do and everyone deserves a fair shake, but these are not 12 year old children losing limbs in a meat factory.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 05:55:49 AM by TPunk »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 06:14:52 AM »

Rodzinski and I aren't going to work.  His bosses seem pretty understanding and he is salaried so I think he should be okay- as long as the strike ends soon and he is able to get to work to finish everything up so that we can leave on Friday night.

Today is a GMHC day for me and they are super understanding and know that I cannot get 160 blocks (approx 8-9 miles) to work during the strike. The problem is that I am an hourly employee and so I will not earn any money for the shifts I cannot do.  And that is my only source of income right now...

I think that the transit workers union has gone too far, and even though I seriously question the MTA's business practices, it's hard for me to support the workers.  I think they are being very unrealistic with their demands.  As you guys know, I'm training to become a social worker, and when I graduate in May with my masters degree, I will make nowhere near what the transit workers make.  And I will have to pay for a portion of my health coverage, and I will have no hope of retiring at age 55 without a winning lottery ticket.  And that's okay because it's what I chose.

But, tomorrow, I won't be able to get to work at my internship, and I won't be able to tell my children why I'm not there.    Each day that passes where I cannot get to work, I will have less sympathy for the workers.  I'm all for the process of negotiations and striking, but not when the demands have gotten out of control.  I don't want to diminish the job that they do and everyone deserves a fair shake, but these are not 12 year old children losing limbs in a meat factory.

I second that!

DR CharlesPogue, it's so nice seeing you posting in our time zone for a change!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 06:21:20 AM »

I'm back. I was going to go in to work - no, I really was. Four of us in my neighborhood hired a car to drive us in and the company was going to reimburse us, but right about the time I started to head out the door I began to feel really, really nauseated. I'm sad to say that I still DO feel really, really nauseated, so I'm calling in. I don't think I could stand to sit in a car for an hour or more only to get sick in the City with no way to get home.

How much was the car charging for us to go a total of 5 miles? $20 per person...!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 06:22:14 AM »

One of the more unusual Christmas songs I've heard: Dominic the Donkey -- on a cd a friend sent us. :-)
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 06:23:37 AM »

Ms. Judy Kaye's Broadway show, SOUVENIR, will close on January 8 according to Playbill.com.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 06:24:05 AM »

Hey Jason, when are you leaving town?

Jason

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 06:25:21 AM »

TPunk: I fly out Thursday afternoon...

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 06:27:02 AM »

I was hoping to drop the keys off to you after I got off work at GMHC today (ha!) but since that's not going to happen and may not happen soon, maybe I could mail them to you at your holiday locale...

Jason

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 06:30:35 AM »

TPunk: You've got a Private Message. :)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 06:38:11 AM »

Thanks Jason, now you do too! :)

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 06:44:02 AM »

I am also home from work this morning...but not because of a strike or an illness...am interviewing a former Disney child actor turned pastor.

Sadly I must return to work once the interview is done  :-\

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 06:45:35 AM »

I do hope the strike ends very, very soon..I cannot imagine what a pain in the neck it must be for all of you New Yorkers.

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 06:45:46 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Still home on sick leave today, having taken 2 days for yesterday's procedure.  I slept in this morning and plan to do some holiday puttering around the house.

My best vibes are going out to all those affected by the transit strike.    
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up