Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRMLY ENSCONCED  (Read 94968 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FIRMLY ENSCONCED
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:05:44 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you were firmly ensconced in the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the firmly ensconced cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:14:42 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FIRMLY ENSCONCED
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 12:08:01 AM »

And the word of the day is: QUIDNUNC!

Smoke on your pipe and put THAT in.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:45:39 AM »

Mrs Lovett's Pie Shop serves Eyetalian dishes. The shop is in Fleet Street.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 12:48:52 AM »

My favourite italian dish is Gnocchi with twice-cooked  Lamb Shanks. It is a favourite dish at  Italian restaurant in Russell Street Melbourne, OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 04:18:25 AM »

I don't know from quidnunc.....I must use the dictionary.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 04:18:51 AM »

Sympathy and good thoughts to DRJANE on the passing of her cousin. :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 04:21:25 AM »

Of course I was right, MRBK.  Do not doubt.

BENJAMIN KRITZER would be a wonderful movie....all of the books would!

Hmmmm....EYETALIAN is my favorite kind of food, but it isn't in my vocabulary right now.  However, I can still have favorites, and they are:

Spaghetti & Meatballs with pork chops on the side.

Chicken al fredo.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pasta and shrimp with a chicken breast on the side (hold the Fletcher)

Gelato!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 04:21:41 AM »

We are supposed to have STRONG thunderstorms today!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 04:22:36 AM »

Kong is headed for the Empire State Building.  That is all.

DRCILLALIZ did you see the beast yesterday?

Thanks for the LESTAT info, DRJOSE - the shirt, and the actor, and the set are ALL very intriguing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 05:03:42 AM »

Good morning, all!  Celesta just became my favorite Italian restaurant, and I look forward to more of their menu.  I'm not certain I have a favorite Italian dish, but I do love a lot of the pasta dishes, particularly ravioli, lasagna, and tortellini.

Today, I have to wrap the last of the gifts to distribute.  I'm seeing KING KONG this morning at 10:30, and I hope to see the Family Raines today; they should be home from their South African safari by now.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 05:35:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: QUIDNUNC!

Smoke on your pipe and put THAT in.
If you'll forgive my butting in, that's CNUNDIUQ backwards.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 05:38:16 AM »

Pasta and shrimp with a chicken breast on the side (hold the Fletcher)
Equal parts ;D and  >:( (still)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 05:51:52 AM »

And DR Jose is feeling his way around the pit...

:o

::)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 06:02:58 AM »

And DR Jose is feeling his way around the pit...

:o

::)

Aha!  The old Helen Keller trick.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 06:36:36 AM »

DR Jane, I'm very sorry about your cousin.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 06:38:18 AM »

Btw, while checking out the WB schedule for this week. I noticed that every night (at 9pm i think) they are replaying the episodes from last year's BEAUTY AND THE GEEK.  I don't think this will be everybody's cup of tea.  But it was quite funny.  The premise has geeks paired up with beauties.  And they are each tested on things that they don't know about (beauties were tested in academics, geeks on social stuff).  There is one particular guy, Richard who is a hoot.

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 06:39:08 AM »

Oh and who knew the Rose parade was on  today.

I know they didn't want to interfere with the NFL. But I thought it was always on the 1st! (only on nbc and abc this year).

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 06:51:12 AM »

Last night, DR George wrote: "Since it'll be on Fridays, I can watch it right after "Ghost Whisperer," but it'll be on at the same time as "Book of Daniel," which I also want to watch. "

They will only be opposite each other this week, DR George. DANIEL has a two hour premiere so it's starting at 9. Its regular timeslot will be Fridays at 10 p.m.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 07:27:23 AM »

Good morning!

Rainy and overcast here this morning, and thunderstorms are predicted for this afternoon. It's going to be unseasonably warm, however, - 61 today and tomorrow. So, if we've got to have rain, at least it's now raw and bitter cold outside.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 07:29:49 AM »

Since football bowl games are going to be playing during much of the day and evening, I will be DVDing it for a good portion of the day. I want to finish the one more CSI: NY episode on the disc already in the player, and then will put in something like ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM, I think.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 07:32:19 AM »

NBC does have a slate of new episodes scheduled for tonight, so MEDIUM will be watched for sure, and I'm certain I'll DVR CSI: MIAMI since it's so much fun to watch in high definition.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 07:35:34 AM »

And I will be having lunch with a friend this afternoon, so that will break some monotony of a day devoid of mail, packages, etc. And we have ANOTHER holiday in a couple of weeks! Isn't Martin Luthur King day also a federal holiday with no mail delivery?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 07:52:57 AM »

TOD:

Ralph's is Philly's best Eyetalian restaurant.  They do things with veal that cannot be believed!  My favorite dish is veal rolled up with mozzarella and prosciutto and covered with a white wine sauce.  I'm drooling here thinking about it.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 07:57:43 AM »

I really do love Italian food, but my favorite Italian restaurant here closed some years ago (can't even remember its name now), and now I rarely have it. My favorite dish has always been lasagna. My former partner prepared the best I have ever eaten, and he took the recipe with him. :(

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2006, 08:07:04 AM »

BK, I watched MAN IN THE SHADOW when it played last and I very much enjoyed it! As for ARMORED CAR ROBBERY, haven't seen it, but I do enjoy Charles McGraw.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2006, 08:08:06 AM »

The Italian place I went to with Laurie Mitchell and family in Toluca Lake is my favorite Italian restaurant. I don't recall the name, but boy was that food good!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2006, 08:20:30 AM »

I would like to stay indoors all day today and prepare myself for going to the office for the first time in over two weeks, but I have to go back to Circuit City to make one more return.  And thus prefaces my Rant of the Day:

On Christmas Day, a few gifts to me and my nephew (DVDs from my mom) were duplicated by other givers.  I took it upon myself to return the extra copies.  Well, after standing in a long, slow moving line at Best Buy, I was told that, even though I had a receipt, the South Park Season 6 DVD set could not be returned because it was not purchased there.  Evidently, Best Buy has its own propitiatory barcodes printed on its merchandise and they will not accept anything else in return, even though it is the same exact thing that is sitting on their shelves.  Well, I thought that since I had the other copy of South Park at home, that it wasn't worth making a fuss over and I left the store.

I then had to return a copy of SpongeBob SquarePants at Circuit City.  Another long, slow moving line--same deal.  I had brought back the copy that was not bought at the store and they refused to return it.  This time I tried arguing with the clerk but she wouldn't budge and started getting snippy.  I left the store fuming, because this time I had to call my sister and tell her to not let my nephew open and play the SpongeBob set until New Years Day when we would be able to exchange copies.  And so I return there today to finally get rid of it.

What gets me in the damn inconvenience of it all!  They can claim that having their own barcodes aids in managing their inventory, but what ti is essentially is setting up another roadblock in customers making a return.  

End of rant.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »

I can understand your frustration, DR Dan, but I suspect these staores have instituted this policy because there are some DVD sets now (not yours particularly) which have proproetary extras exclusive to one store or another, and it's just too much hassle dealing with it all.

Sorry this happened, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2006, 08:28:27 AM »

Off to gets showered and dressed for my lunch outing.

WBBL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2006, 08:30:52 AM »

Last night I viewed Surrender, Dorothy, a made for TV movie starring Miss Diane Keaton.  The teleplay and direction were all over the place, and I found it, along with Keaton's performance, at times frustratingly cutesy and self-precious and at other times deeply moving and surprising.  In any event, it was way beyond the normal CBS Sunday night movie fare and that most probably had to do with Keaton being one of the producers.  It's the kind of thing that the networks don't do at all anymore.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up