Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: OPENING NIGHT 1  (Read 24280 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OPENING NIGHT 1
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2006, 08:46:08 PM »

Have had a full evening of skating. When I went down, I watched the men's national championships which I had the DVR catch since I was on the phone and later computer while they were going on.

I was delighted with the results and felt the three most deserving skaters were indeed the top three finishers. While none of them skated an entirely clean program today, they were all interesting and lyrical, and I enjoyed them.

My favorite skater of the day finished in 5th place - Scott Smith. I'll look for him at future national championships.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2006, 08:49:46 PM »

Page 8 "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2006, 08:50:35 PM »

And this Lucy picture concludes the Lucy Dances from me for this year.

The next time I have a page dance, I'll be having Disney characters on parade.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 08:51:04 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »

While the women were skating live tonight, I watched a couple of shows on the DVR. First up was MONK which had a fun case and a guest starring role for Malcolm McDowall. Good fun and a surprise revelation at the end.

Michael

« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2006, 08:56:40 PM »

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, for me!  I'm also right fond of DOUBLE LIFE.

I know this has nothing to do with Shelley Winters. But.....
BK produced the original concept album for the musical version of The Night of the Hunter.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2006, 08:56:46 PM »

Next, I watched SUPERNATURAL. My local WB station preempted the show on Tuesday night to show Charlotte Bobcats NBA action, and just tonight got around to showing the episode. Sadly, they don't have the proper equipment to record in high definition, so the recording was the standard definition version of the episode. Still, great tension and a most surprising ending.

Tomorrow, the WB repeats the episode in high def, but with so many things coming on tomorrow at 9 (HOUSEWIVES, '24,' L&O:CI), I figured I'd better watch this tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2006, 08:58:25 PM »

Then I watched LAW & ORDER from Wednesday night. The show has not been up to par since the death of Jerry Orbach, but the episode was still entertaining and featured more trial than usual.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2006, 09:01:26 PM »

Like the men, none of the women were able to sustain a perfectly clean program, but both Sasha Cohen and Kimmie Meisner deserved their placements. And I liked Emily Hughes' routine though it didn't have the degree of difficulty or the elegance of the other two ladies' programs.

Still, if Sasha turns professional after the Olympics and Worlds this year, it's going to be an interesting battle between the ladies behind her now.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »

Thank you, DR George, for the information of the ending of IN JUSTICE. Now I can rest easily.

The new addition to the legal squad, don't you suppose they're setting it up as a romantic interest for Jason O'Mara?

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2006, 09:09:27 PM »

And now, I'll head down to bed.

Good evening, all!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #220 on: January 14, 2006, 09:22:50 PM »

I got back from a game of Scrabble® with my sister and my niece.  I came in third! ;) I was creamed.  But it was fun.  My sister bought the official Scrabble® dictionary but we have "house rules" where anyone can look up a word before you play it.  That way, there is no challenging of words, because we all know it's correct!  Of course, when we play with our parents, we play the game correctly...no "house rules."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2006, 09:23:35 PM »

I had a wonderful evening at the First annual Siouxland Short Film Festival. It was a smashing success.  They had 70 submissions, there were 2 cuts and tonight we saw the 10 finalists in the regional division and the 5 finalists in the Grad School division.  There was a huge turn out and the quality of the films was fantastic.  What a fun thing to have here.  

Jason

« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2006, 09:24:30 PM »

Hello, folks. Just popping in to say hi and let you know that I've been E&T because of a stupid mix-up with the cable company that installed our new cable modem. I haven't had internet at home since Monday as a result and we've been so swamped at work that I've not had a chance to check in during the day. I'm still here (a FOLLIES reference) and as soon as I'm able to scrounge up a few minutes during the day, I'll post some more.

Hope you're all well!

Cillaliz

« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2006, 09:26:59 PM »

There is a group of folks here called the Sioux City Film Institute that decide what independent films to bring into the Orpheum, helped screen the submissions with this film festival and the Silent film festival etc.   So tonight I asked about getting involved and was welcomed into the group. I am really looking forward to it.

FJL

« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2006, 09:30:16 PM »

I'll be there at Barrymore's on Monday evening if I don't have to go to the office on Monday, which I won't be sure about until Monday morning.  Tuesday Jan. 17th is a deadline for tax estimates (normally, that deadline is Jan. 15th, but because of the 15th being a Sunday and the 16th beng the holiday, the 17th becomes the due date this year) and we're doing some complex clients' estimates at the last minute.

Ginny and Ben and anyone else (whether you're going to the Barbara Cook concert or not), are we still looking at possibly getting a drink or something after the Barbara Cook concert on Friday night?  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #225 on: January 14, 2006, 09:32:43 PM »

Good Evening!

...Well, I would have posted a bit sooner after getting home from the show, but we had a "little" electrical problem upstairs where the main computer is set up...  And, apparently, the house down the street had a major electrical problem earlier today... Their whole circuit/fuse box blew up... Thankfully, everyone is OK... However, when all the homeowners on the block went out to see what was happening, they all realized that they all have been having electrical problems lately... And then someone found that one of the outlets in my parents' house was on the verge of shorting out... YIKES!!!  So...  An electrician is coming out tomorrow to check out this house and the other ones in the neighborhood... And then I'm guessing the homeowners association will be speaking to the builder on Monday...

:-\

But, again, everyone is OK.  -And I spent a good chunk of time getting the computer re-set up upstairs - and only plugged in what was necessary.

-And I checked the smoke detectors too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2006, 09:34:28 PM »

In other news...

Two very good shows today, and I managed to get in another three mile run before the matinee.  It was a bit breezy and cool, but my new Old Navy workout clothes really kept me nice and toasty.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2006, 09:35:39 PM »

Hi Jason, glad you dropped in, we worried about you until we could worry no more, and then we worried again.  :)  So glad all is OK.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: January 14, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »

...And between shows, I went ahead and headed back out to Old Navy and picked up a few more bargains.  In fact, there was another level of mark-downs instituted today.  I got a great pair of gloves for only $0.98!
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2006, 09:44:38 PM »

George - We just got our copy of the Dessa Rose Cd as well.  It looks like they took what was done for LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA's CD, with the paperback booklet that came with that, and went a step further to deal with there being two CD's.  Very impressive packaging, and really looking forward to listening to it since I loved the show (saw it three times).

George

« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2006, 09:49:06 PM »

FJL, I bought the songbook to Dessa Rose last month, not realizing that it and the CD were available!  I want to listen to the songs that are in the songbook, then the whole thing.  I LOVE Flaherty's music!  Ever since I first heard of Once On This Island, I've gotten all of their shows and the songbooks that go with it.  I even have Lucky $tiff (as recorded by our very own BK!) and almost sang the song "Nice" with a friend of mine here in Olympia.  We were good.  We just never had the opportunity to sing the song.  Darn.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #231 on: January 14, 2006, 09:49:40 PM »

I wonder, though, if packaging like the Dessa Rose CD packaging, where there's a book that contains the entire script (although clearly specifying it's not the performance version), will cut into sales of the script by people who buy published scripts for reading pleasure or for their libraries.  But maybe that's not a big enough market to worry about

George

« Reply #232 on: January 14, 2006, 09:51:29 PM »

I would think that it might (mind you, I said might) increase sales, because if people have to be completists, they'd get every different version that's available. ;)

FJL

« Reply #233 on: January 14, 2006, 09:56:57 PM »

George, have you heard Christiane Noll's rendition of "Times Like This" from LUCKY STIFF on the CD that BK produced?  Just wonderful, as is the whole CD.

FJL

« Reply #234 on: January 14, 2006, 09:58:06 PM »

I'm being ordered to get to sleep.  Good night.

George

« Reply #235 on: January 14, 2006, 10:05:17 PM »

George, have you heard Christiane Noll's rendition of "Times Like This" from LUCKY STIFF on the CD that BK produced?  Just wonderful, as is the whole CD.

I have that CD:  "A Broadway Love Story."  It's very good!

George

« Reply #236 on: January 14, 2006, 10:06:23 PM »

Tammy Minoff sang "Times Like This" in BK's "What If?" revue last year, too!

George

« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2006, 10:07:35 PM »

One of my absolute favorite Christmas songs was written by Ahrens and Flaherty, "All Those Christmas Clichés."  Christiane Noll sang it on "A Christmas Survival Guide" but she sang it a little too humorously (in my opinion).  I'm guessing that it was written for "A Cabaret Noel," sung by Lainie Kazan (who was in A&F's My Favorite Year, playing the same part that she played in the movie).  Lainie's version of "Clichés" is definitive!  It's also one of my favorite A&F songs. :)

George

« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2006, 10:09:42 PM »

And I think that Christiane is just too young to sing the song.  Someone of her tender years just doesn't have the history in life that I think the song requires.

George

« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2006, 10:14:03 PM »

Good to have you back, Jason!

I'm going to go now.  I want to listen to Dessa Rose and I have tapes of last night's shows to watch.  Goodnight, Jason and FJL!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up