Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT  (Read 20731 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MAKING EVERY MOMENT COUNT
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2003, 09:40:24 PM »

O Joy! O Rapture!  On a whim I paid a visit to my little nearby store that gets used DVDs and way-in-advance copies of new things - they had Bonjour Tristesse, which won't be out until Feb I think, and There's a Girl in My Soup, too.  Well, I LOVE Bonjour Tristesse and have been watching it for the last half-hour - gorgeous transfer (both black and white and Technicolor) in scope, enhanced for widescreen TVs.

Miss Jean Seberg is breathtaking.  Miss Deborah Kerr is breathtaking.  Miss Mylene Demongeot is breathtaking (and I DO mean breathtaking - whew!) and even Mr. David Niven is breathtaking.  The whole damn movie is breathtaking, all shot on location with the bluest skies and bluest ocean.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2003, 09:41:06 PM »

George, instead of standing corrected you should sit corrected - it's ever so much more fun.

I believe in faeries - I believe in snow.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2003, 09:42:18 PM »

10 more karma points to go to get Mark re-instated.  Keep it up and Mark will be able to rejoin HHW!!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2003, 09:44:08 PM »

I hope that Mr. Mark Bakalor will rejoin us.

And I say that if the young 'uns want to meet to chat off the board, that's groovy with me. Theater-loving youth are rare, and if they want to bond without us old folks (and you know who you are) I say bravo.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2003, 09:45:56 PM »

Oh, give Craig his karma points because Mark must be the admin - he's always been the admin - oh, a The Shining reference.  Just do it Craig - we'll give you the nine karma points on credit.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2003, 09:51:43 PM »

I'm sorry - I don't take credit.  I give credit. I credit Mark for his wonderful design of this website.

As for karma points - this was not my doing. Kram Rolakab has a security precaution on here that will not allow the willy nilly changing of admins until certain requirements are met. It's very Willy Wonka-ish.

Who's up for a snozzberry?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: November 28, 2003, 09:52:55 PM »

All right, everyone who is lurking or reading, not necessarily in that order, give Craig his fershluganah karma points.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: November 28, 2003, 09:53:36 PM »

I do, however take PAYPAL :)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #218 on: November 28, 2003, 09:55:04 PM »

Does Bonjour Tristesse have anything to do with a brassiere factory?  And if it's as breathtaking as you say, I hope you have an oxygen tank, Dear BK, nearby.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2003, 09:56:47 PM »

It's Karmathon 2003! Unlock Mark Bakalor from his non-adminstrative shackles. Wait.. I mean.. let's all band together and wrap Mark up in his administrative shackles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2003, 09:58:10 PM »

Well, Jay, I'm sure you recall from our dinner last week that I'm having terrible trouble breathing because of the fershluganah flu thing I had THREE weeks ago - that damn cough won't go away.  Miss Seberg was so breathtaking that I coughed for three minutes.  Miss Demongeot got a five-minute cough.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2003, 09:59:30 PM »

For those wishing to get an additional 20 percent off DVD's at DeepDiscountDVD, you can go to the site and use the code :  USATODAY

Caveat - you can only place ONE order using the code.. so shop all at once....

I went to DeepDiscountDVD.com and used the discount code and bought two of the Broadway Theatre Archive DVDs:  In Fashion, a musical with Charlotte Rae that's set in the year 1900 and Forget-Me-Not Lane with Mr. BK himself!  And I got the 20% discount!

And I contributed to Craig's Karma uppage.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2003, 10:28:15 PM »

Whew!  I checked the board before leaving for the show... and it was so nice to come back here after the show tonight.  :)

And what a night it was!

Maybe it was the sunspot activity, maybe it was those proverbial gremlins, maybe it was the change in the weather...  But about halfway through the first act, the whole lighting system started to act up.  And act up it did!  Lights were going on and off.  The scrollers were a-scrolling away.  Even from my position in the pit, underneath the stage, I could read the lights shifting on the conductor's face.  Well, we made it through "How to Handle a Woman", and started the scene transition music.  Then we stopped.

They brought the house lights up, and we were told that we were going to take at least a five minute pause.  So, we did.

But while the lights were going crazy, we did have some fun in the pit.  I started doing my John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever impression/dance - heck, we had the disco lights, now all we needed was a nice drum beat!  And we all started wondering if we would hit the big OT - OverTime.  -Which we (eventually) did.

We started the show back up, and the act finished all right, but a lot of the automation was off.  They switched out light boards at intermission, and the second act went well... for the most part.  There were some interesting moments in and out of the forest scene.  I saw the lights go and off totally a few times, but we kept going.  All in all, it was a good show.  And our stage manager remained as cool as a cucumber throughout the whole ordeal(!!!!!).

Now I just want to know who had to make the phone calls to the production manager...  We shall see what tomorrow's matinee will bring.

Well, it's late, and I still have some of my usual daily browsing and surfing to finish up.  And I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to find myself at Macy's in the morning.... Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2003, 10:38:25 PM »

Dear reader Jose,

We had the same things happening here at HHW!

What a day it's been!

BUT Bark is mack... I mean Mark is back!

A Mark: karm a!

Jason

« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2003, 10:46:32 PM »

Glad things were worked out between BK and MB. I love both of you and would be heart broken to lose either of you from this board. Period. Now I've said my piece, though my timing is admittedly off.

Still no sign of NetFlix and the dead mouse smell lingers on. How long do you think a dead mouse can stink? Two weeks? Three? I'm glad I'm leaving for a couple of weeks to let it rot and stink and then be done.

Speaking of leaving, I'm going away tomorrow for two whole weeks. I don't know what my computer access status will be, so I may not be able to post until I get home. You will all be in my thoughts and I hope that from time to time you will think of me. Think of me fondly, when we've said goodbye. Remember me every so often. Promise me you'll try. (oh! A very long PHANTOM OF THE OPERA reference.) I officially leave at 3:45 Sunday morning (kill me now!), but I have to work a double shift at the Met tomorrow, so I'll go to the bus station directly from work. I'm looking forward to this experience, and I hope it turns out to be great.

Thanksgiving was good. I spent it with my boss and his family. I missed mom's cooking, though his wife is a FANTASTIC cook. It just wasn't the same, though. But it was nice to have company on the holiday and I really am grateful they invited me.

And now I must return to packing. Be nice to each other while I'm away--no more threats to cease and desist--and have many a sparkling discussion while I'm away. Auf Wiedersein! Ciao! Au revoir! Adios!

So long...farewell
Au revoir, auf Wiedersein...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2003, 11:16:56 PM »

I hear the brown bag over head look is popular in some areas.
 :'(
D

Yes, usually in my bedroom.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2003, 11:22:16 PM »

Is the mirror that frightening TCB?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2003, 11:45:58 PM »

Just finished Bonjour Tristesse and will now try to write some quick notes, for she of the Evil Eye will be upon us in the morning.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2003, 11:48:41 PM »

And I just finished chatting with a friend I haven't seen nor chatted with in almost two years!!!  :D

Ain't the internet a great place to be when we make it a great place to be!

And, now, I must get to bed... I guess I won't make it to Macy's in the morning...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up