Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MY BACK IS KILLING ME  (Read 26461 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:MY BACK IS KILLING ME
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 07:36:52 AM »

Movie detectives:

William Powell as Philo Vance and Nick Charles

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes

Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade

Albert FInney and Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot

Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple (not at all like the books but very entertaining)

Dick Powell and Robert Mitchum as Philip Marlowe
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 07:40:07 AM »

Page Two TOY STORY Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 07:54:41 AM »

I'm having lunch out with friends today but I should be back in time to squeeze in the three hour mystery shows from last night.

And I guess I should add Kristin Bell's Veronica Mars to my list of favorite TV detectives.

Jason

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2006, 07:58:34 AM »

Raindrops keep falling on my head. Big, giant raindrops the size of Mack trucks. I think I'm at my capacity, folks. If my mother calls me one more time and wants to 'discuss' things or ask any more questions, I think I'll implode. She called last night at midnight to check up on me, and then pronounced that there were to be no more secrets and if there were any more to get them out in the open right now - be done with it. Bottom line, I may or may not be 'out' to my mother now. I don't know - it was an out of body experience and I'm not sure what I told her. This, in addition to all the crap that started going down on Tuesday, has just about done me in and the anxiety that I'm feeling is overwhelming.

DR TPunk, a trained social worker, was kind enough to provide me with a crisis hotline number, so I called them at around 1am because I was having a panic attack (not as bad as the one I had at work Tuesday, but close) and the lady on the other end of the phone tried to calm me down so I could at least get to sleep. I'm so exhausted right now, both physically and emotionally, that sleeping shouldn't have been a problem, but with a zillion things running through my mind, I had to talk. And talk. And talk.

I don't know what the future holds for me and my family. I'm so tense and anxious right now thinking about the discussions we will inevitably have and how they may react to what I will have to eventually tell them that I can't stay focused on anything but myself, which is the last thing I want to think about right now. SERENITY NOW!!!

You guys have all been so wonderful these past few days. I really appreciate it and need it. I need to feel like SOMEONE'S gonna stand by me. It's nice to know I can depend on HHW.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 08:07:41 AM »

Hey, DR Jason, you can depend on us! We are all thinking about you and sending non-anxiety vibes.

I don't know what the issues are that you are dealing with, but I will bet that once you clear the air with your family it will be a huge load off of your shoulders.

Take care buddy and accept this big hug from me!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:09:38 AM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2006, 08:12:36 AM »

For those who did not recognize her in that photo from the film version of "Dreamgirls," the girl on the right is Jennifer Hudson, one of the "divas" from two "American Idols" ago....she was up there with Fantasia, Latoya London and Diana DeGarmo.  Jennifer got ousted much too early.  In fact, she got better each week she performed and some of the guest artists whose music was being featured were totally blown away by her.

She is playing Effie in the film...and that's a HUGE step for her career, I think.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2006, 08:17:09 AM »

Re: last night's LOST i think i sort of agree with DR MattH.  Last night's show was not as good as most past shows.  Most of the shows recently have ended with a sort of gasp/shocking ending. Last night's show didn't have that.

Also not too much happened during the show.  And Charlie's backstory wasn't that interesting.  Although I do think his backstory was probably the most realistic. I mean some of them have been way out there (kate a murderer, hurley a cursed lotto winner ...).

I wonder if something bad will happen to baby aaron though.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2006, 08:18:43 AM »

Re:  Last night's "Lost":

SPOILER

SPOILER

This episode was quite unsettling for me.  I found Charlie's backstory quite interesting and much more moving than most of the ones we are treated to.  His vivid dreams are most likely induced by whatever power the island is under. I thought it extremely interesting that he would be so persistent about the baby in view of the character assassination everyone was willing to place upon him "presuming" he was using drugs.  John Locke was especially pretentious and over-the-top last night...it totally shocked me that he felt he had the right to judge Charlie as harshly as he did...first telling him he had lost the right to be trusted (as if Locke hasn't been far more underhanded and conniving) and then to violently strike Charlie, who was quite evidently distressed and in need of understanding.  Locke is normally the one who provides such insights...last night he was curiously devoid of same.  From the previews, it seems Locke is bent upon a course of tyranny.   Interesting, too, was Claire's genuine concern over what Charlie claimed was his reasons for being upset about the baby...that she went to Eko for baptism, and submitted to it herself, speaks a great deal about her belief in Charlie, regardless of how she has acted toward him.

There are strange things brewing on the island...and last night's episode seemed a harbinger of rough times ahead.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 08:18:43 AM »

Jason, you know I'm a only a phone call away!!

((((HUGS))))
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2006, 08:21:53 AM »

RE: LOST

Vixdad and I now appear to be the ONLY  humans in the western hemisphere who have never seen this show.

We were speaking to his parents the other day, who live in the middle of nowhere in northwest Canada, who get only three TV channels, one of them in French.. and THEY have been watching the show avidly

We are so out of touch....

« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:23:36 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »

AS long as I'm "confessing" We never saw Sex in the City, The Sopranos, or Survivor either.....

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2006, 08:24:10 AM »

Yes, Jason many of us are here for you if you need us. Keep us posted. Some of us have gone through what you're obviously struggling with now and may be able to help.

Good luck!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2006, 08:25:04 AM »

Re: "Invasion"

SPOILER

SPOILER

Last night's episode was deftly constructed -- a violent shooting, lots of blood...and the obvious requirement for a blood transfusion for a "changed" one  that everyone who watches the show KNOWS won't work unless it's from some other "changed" one.

It was a lot of manufactured hyperdrama with very little insights or new information.  

There were some good moments for the main characters, but what's with letting Tom and Mariel off the hook, so to speak, suddenly portraying them as stabilizing influences on the other hybrids.  Didn't we just last week see proof that Tom is arming and training hybrids for warfrare?

Overall, it seemed like a stall for time...and I'm not at all clear on what they want us to think about Tom and his role as a hybrid...which is probably the "intent."

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2006, 08:26:34 AM »

Vixdad and I now appear to be the ONLY  humans in the western hemisphere who have never seen this show.

We were speaking to his parents the other day, who live in the middle of nowhere in northwest Canada, who get only three TV channels, one of them in French.. and THEY have been watching the show avidly

Oh, no. I'm sure BK has never seen it (at least, he's never mentioned watching any episodes and he usually keep us informed of any TV he does watch), and there appear to be quite a few others here who don't watch it, too. You're in good company.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:28:45 AM by Matt H. »

FJL

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2006, 08:29:39 AM »

Vibes to you, Jason.  I obviously don't know your specific situation, but it just so happened that when I was 30, I had a really drastic "outburst" in an office environment, which just happened to have followed a week of a fairly stressful family situation.  Not exactly what's happening to you, but some parallels.  It ended up changing my life around, all for the better.  I wish good things for you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2006, 08:32:08 AM »

And the word of the day is: VATICINATE!

When I was in Rome, the Vaticinate my homework.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2006, 08:36:34 AM »

When I was in Rome, the Vaticinate my homework.

Note to self: no groaning allowed at  HHW.........

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2006, 08:37:02 AM »

Guess I need to start getting ready for my outing.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2006, 08:37:54 AM »

Raindrops keep falling on my head. Big, giant raindrops the size of Mack trucks. I think I'm at my capacity, folks. If my mother calls me one more time and wants to 'discuss' things or ask any more questions, I think I'll implode. She called last night at midnight to check up on me, and then pronounced that there were to be no more secrets and if there were any more to get them out in the open right now - be done with it. Bottom line, I may or may not be 'out' to my mother now. I don't know - it was an out of body experience and I'm not sure what I told her. This, in addition to all the crap that started going down on Tuesday, has just about done me in and the anxiety that I'm feeling is overwhelming.

DR TPunk, a trained social worker, was kind enough to provide me with a crisis hotline number, so I called them at around 1am because I was having a panic attack (not as bad as the one I had at work Tuesday, but close) and the lady on the other end of the phone tried to calm me down so I could at least get to sleep. I'm so exhausted right now, both physically and emotionally, that sleeping shouldn't have been a problem, but with a zillion things running through my mind, I had to talk. And talk. And talk.

I don't know what the future holds for me and my family. I'm so tense and anxious right now thinking about the discussions we will inevitably have and how they may react to what I will have to eventually tell them that I can't stay focused on anything but myself, which is the last thing I want to think about right now. SERENITY NOW!!!

You guys have all been so wonderful these past few days. I really appreciate it and need it. I need to feel like SOMEONE'S gonna stand by me. It's nice to know I can depend on HHW.

DR Jason, turn off the phone and let messages from your mother take over for the nonce.  You're going through enough angst, it appears to me, to let the famlly coast on theirs for a while without you.  This is when sex and drugs used to work for me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2006, 08:38:50 AM »

Was anyone else addicted to the Happy Hollisters series of books as a kid?  Was this series ever made as a TV show or film, I wonder.

Encyclopedia Brown was also a real favorite when I was a kid.

As an adult, I watched Murder She Wrote a lot, but I kept getting an uneasy feeling about Jessica Fletcher, given that any time she showed up, somebody got killed.  Not the greatest person to be around.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2006, 08:39:31 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

I don't watch TV at all, save to see how low Alias can sink.  I have never seen episodes of any shows except The Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusiasm (and only two seasons of the latter).  I know The Sopranos is coming back, but frankly they have been incredibly stupid about their audience, taking, what, over a two-year hiatus?  I'm afraid I won't be returning to the show.  I've never seen Sex and The City, Raymond, Friends, or any other series of the last ten years - I saw two episodes of Seinfeld.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2006, 08:40:18 AM »

I've never watched LOST either, DR vixmom.  Most likely never will.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2006, 08:43:37 AM »

As an adult, I watched Murder She Wrote a lot, but I kept getting an uneasy feeling about Jessica Fletcher, given that any time she showed up, somebody got killed.  Not the greatest person to be around.  :)

I think Angela Lansbury is great, but I thought she phoned in a coy second-rate performance on this series.  I never understood the success of it.

Jason

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2006, 08:47:27 AM »

This is when sex and drugs used to work for me.

I want a pizza and chocolate more than anything in the world right now. That's my drug of choice...food.

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2006, 08:48:54 AM »

I have been doing some research on backpain bk and came across this interesting site.

Apparently if you do these exercises it will completely cure your back pain

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2006, 08:49:16 AM »

I've never watched LOST either, DR vixmom.  Most likely never will.  

HowEVER will the show survive?

:D

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2006, 08:49:52 AM »

and this

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2006, 08:51:01 AM »

and most especially this

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2006, 08:52:21 AM »

I want a pizza and chocolate more than anything in the world right now. That's my drug of choice...food.

Does Dominos "do" a chocolate pizza?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:55:24 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2006, 08:54:39 AM »

My brother's theory was that she was a serial killer who kept planting false clues and getting innocents arrested in her stead!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up