Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAIN SLUDGE  (Read 21797 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BRAIN SLUDGE
« on: January 29, 2006, 12:48:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the ins and outs of the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently trying to have their brains turn to sludge, just because they think it sounds like fun.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 12:15:08 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BRAIN SLUDGE
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 12:49:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: SANCTIMONIOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:52:56 AM »

Now, about CD sales - yes, After the Ball had the biggest sales thus far - I think it's simply that it was our first, it was a cast album, and it sold well.  The Last Starfighter is in second position but has been out a much shorter time.  We're still fighting to get the CDs out in the world, but unlike ATB, Starfighter is getting consistent reorders.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 06:20:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: SANCTIMONIOUS!
Saint Timon was one of the first deacons of the Church of Christ.  He was a bishop in the city of Bastoria, in Arabia, and at one point was thrown into a furnace, but came out of it unharmed.  Other than that, not much is known about him.

So, if you are Sanctimonious, it means that you act like you've been thrown into a furnace, but other than that you have no claim to fame.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 06:22:11 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:34:34 AM »

Good morning, all!  Today, I make a trip to New Brunswick, site of HIGH BUTTON SHOES, to attend a performance of Kurt Weill's STREET SCENE.  It's a production by the Rutgers Music Dept., and I look forward to it.  Even if the production is dreadful, the company will be fun.  

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:11:04 AM »

I'm surprised that DP der Brucer didn't mention his dropping Peggy off with her new family yesterday.  

I was at work, so he and Peggy were alone together for that ride.  The younger boy was waiting in the street for them to arrive.  Peggy immediately went up to the boy and gave him a nuzzle.

We're feeling good about this.  There's some paperwork that needs finishing later today, before I head to work.  And, since the new family has a house nearby, we may be seeing Peggy again.  But essentially, this has come to a good conclusion.

*happy sigh*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 07:20:58 AM »

Good vibes for lucky Peggy and her lucky new family!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 07:22:55 AM »

I hope DR RODZINSKI is feeling better today.

Have a nice trip, DRELMORE.  I have read STREET SCENE, but I have never seen a production of it.  I remember that DR CP went to see a production of DEAD END in LA last year, and when I read some of the reviews of it, most people seem to think it's time had passed (with additional comments on how most of the Dead End kids seemed to spend a LOT of time in the gym)....

Hopefully STREET SCENE won't turn out the same way....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »

Sounds like DECEIT is going well....  Good vibes for a good matinee today.

DRJANE - I put most of Miss Annette's most famous songs at the end of the CD (no she didn't sing WAYWARD WIND, DR TCB  - the CD is a compilation).  

I am surprised you hadn't heard "James, Hold the Ladder Steady" - but then maybe Sue was more a midwest country (and Australian) hit artist than a California girl.  But she was great.

One of my favorite Annette tunes (included) is "Promise Me Anything" from BEACH PARTY that has a larger orchestration than usual on her tracks with some beautiful strings!  And the song I ended the disk with has a sweet break up by Annette at the end - it is "The Strummin' Song" from THE HORSEMASTERS.  The Sherman brothers KNEW their singer and they knew how to make a cute and catchy lyric.  I heard the song once, and I never forgot it.  As far as I know it's only available now on the Annette Box Set.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 07:27:34 AM »

Time to make the donuts......

Back about 6:30 pm EST.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 07:37:41 AM »

Good morning!

It's a drizzly, gray day here, not especially cold but not very inviting either: the perfect day to stay indoors and watch movies and TV. This I plan to do while doing laundry and attending to other chores around the house.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 07:39:11 AM »

Unbelievable to me as it is, I STILL have not gotten to the Faye Dunaway/CSI episode. There it sits on the DVR awaiting my attention, and I simplpy must get to it at some point today.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 07:40:32 AM »

TV tonight is a mixed bag of new episodes and reruns.

COLD CASE, GREY'S ANATOMY, and CROSSING JORDAN all have new episodes. DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and LAW & ORDER: CI are reruns tonight, at least according to TV GUIDE and the local TV insert in the Sunday newspaper.

Stephanie

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 07:50:23 AM »

Morning all!  I just wanted to report in, because I got to see Deceit again last night, and it was even better this time around.  I sat in a different spot in the theater, and it was like watching a new show.  Got to see a lot of the actor's expressions that I missed last time.  It was fun to sit in the audience, knowing the play's outcome, and listen to everyone around me try and figure it out.  But I was a good girl, I kept mum!  My sister and my best friend went with me, and they loved it as well.  So I know I wasn't just biased based on my appreciation for Matt Ashford, because my friend Jane is very hard to please.   ;D

Bruce, it was a pleasure officially meeting you last night, although my sister accused me of being a brown-noser for chatting up the director.  LOL.  But that's okay, she's just jealous.   ;)

Stephanie

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 08:23:39 AM »

Off to begin lunch preparation and get the rest of the day's chores underway.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 08:29:38 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

It was nice meeting Stephanie and company, too.

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 08:30:52 AM »

Oh my goodness, this will never do!  Less than 20 posts by 8:30 a.m. on the Left Coast.  I shudder to think what that insufferable bore will think about this. :o
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 08:31:10 AM »

FOR THE NW RAINY-SET CROWD
You know you're a Pacific Northwesterner if:

1. You know the state flower (Mildew)

2. You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.

3. Use the statement "sun break" and know what it means.

4. You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.

5 You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.

6. You feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant.

7. You stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" Signal.

8. You consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain.

9. You can taste the! difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Veneto's.

10. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon.

11. You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima and Willamette.

12. You consider swimming an indoor sport.

13. You can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food.

14. In winter, you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark - while only working eight-hour days!!

15. You never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.

16. You are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain," and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."

17. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation.

18. You know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind. (it's a great little town just down highway 26 from Mt Hood)

19. You can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you cannot see through the cloud cover.

20. You notice, "The mountain is out" when it is a pretty day and you can actually see it.

21. You put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.

22. You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.

23. You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.

24. You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.

25. You buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time.

26. You measure distance in hours.

27. You often switch from "heat" to "a/c" in ! the same day.

28. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat.

29. You know all the important seasons: Almost Winter, SKIING, Still Raining (Spring), Road Construction (Summer), Deer & Elk season (Fall).

30. You actually understood these jokes and will probably forward them!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 08:31:57 AM »

Whoops!  Too late.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2006, 08:38:48 AM »

Sunday greetings!  Today is a "puttering" day for me, getting ready for my first 5-day work week since the week of December 5, 2005.  Fortunately, I have something special going on - the To Kill a Mockingbird discussion leader training sessions, 2 on Tuesday and 1 on Thursday.

DH Richard has gone to church in Cincinnati and I'm waiting for a phone call from him, which will be my signal to leave to meet him for lunch at Panera.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 08:39:26 AM »

How very sad to hear that ABC news anchor Bob Woodruff has been seriously injured by a bomb explosion in Iraq.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 08:40:21 AM »

DR der Brucer - LOL at the Pacific Northwest item!  As a Portland native, I did get most of the jokes and will indeed forward them to my mother.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 08:42:10 AM »

I'm very thirsty this morning.  The sky is blue this morning.  There are few posts this morning.

Is that a haiku?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »

Let's have some haikus, baby.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 08:46:36 AM »

Quote from der Brucer:

9. You can taste the! difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Veneto's.

I can definately tell when I am drinking Starbucks coffee.  I shouldn't knock one of our biggest exports to the world, but Starbucks always tastes burnt.

“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 08:47:08 AM »

How very sad to hear that ABC news anchor Bob Woodruff has been seriously injured by a bomb explosion in Iraq.

It is, indeed, DR TCB.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2006, 08:48:19 AM »

We need a real barn-burner of a topic for this Sunday.
[/b]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:49:02 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 09:11:31 AM »

BK, forewarning and disclaimer:  I HATE HANDS OF A MURDERER!  Let's start with the title which was really Napoleon of Crime, since it dealt with Moriarty.  It was originally written for the Ian Richardson series I did, but when that ended prematurely, it never got made...much to everyone's regret because it was lauded as the best script of the bunch...and it was.  Alas, years later when CBS bought it, it was still considered the best of the bunch.  I did one minor rewrite where I introduced the Baker Street Irregulars into a scene. I believe Kerry McCluggage of CBS said of the script:  "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"  But once the wrong director was hired...somebody named Stuart Orme (instead of Clive Donner who is the guy the producers wanted).  

He got this bug about setting the whole thing in 1914 instead of the 1880's.  His concessions to this time period were seeing an early vintage automobile in one scene and a voice-over that mentioned it was 1914, everything else looked liked 1880's...except we now had a major character who had been horribly mutilated in the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857.  Because so much of his face was covered, this was a red herring device where he is impersonated by another man.  This whole impersonation device was dropped and the other character dispensed with (Colonel Sebastian Moran...Moriarty's second),so  the reveal of the character's hidden face at the end doesn't work at all and the guy looks to be only forty...1914...Sepoy Mutiny of 1857...you do the math.  Also one great scene was inexplicable inverted to a section later in the film that made no sense whatsoever, the whole thing became illogical hash.

I was never told any tampering by anonymous hands had taken place until I saw the cut.  Then the budget substituted things: A fight between Moriarty and Holmes in a runaway coach on a seaside cliff...where the coach plunges over the edge and Moriarty is presumed drowned and lost at sea, became a runaway coach going down a modest incline into what looks like a pond into which Moriarty apparently disappears.  Utter silliness!

Then there was the casting of a Bombastic, barrell-chested Edward Woodward as Holmes and a somnabulistic John Hillerman as Watson (with a goatee yet!), both of whom proudly announced in a TV guide interview that neither had read a Holmes story in their life.  Anthony Andrews was cast as a young Moriarty but still gives the most bravura performance in the movie.

But it was originally a terrific script, brought down by bad direction and indifferent leads.  One critic did refer to the "snap-crackle-pop sharpness of the script"...what was left of it...Sad, sad, sad.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 09:15:41 AM by Charles Pogue »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 09:11:35 AM »

Hmm, apparently the barn burned down!
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »

I think I now remember that we discussed this film in the Pogue interview on the site.  I'll still give it a look-see at some point.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up