Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: A LITTLE BEHIND  (Read 24706 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A LITTLE BEHIND
« on: February 13, 2006, 12:21:04 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're not a little behind, you know the meaning of 789378937847934209, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're a little behind at the moment, but I'm told they'll be home quite soon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 12:17:11 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A LITTLE BEHIND
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:22:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: METICULOUS!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:39:51 AM »

http://theatreorgans.com/southerncross/Victoria/RegentMelb.htm

My favourite theatre.. used as a cinema in my childhood but has housed "The Lion King" and "Sunset Boulevard" in more recent times
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 01:18:25 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I've never been to a "movie palace," at least, not as far as I can remember.  The earliest movie theater that I can remember was when we lived in Colorado (between the ages of seven and ten) and it was just a simple square building with one screen.  We saw "Jaws" there (not in its first run) and my dad laughed throughout the whole thing!  Not because it was funny or he thought that a bunch of people being eaten by a shark was funny, but because by the time we saw it, it had been spoofed on "The Carol Burnett Show," which my dad had watched before we saw the actual movie.  He said that Harvey Korman had done such a good job of impersonating Robert Shaw and the skit itself was so darned funny that during the real movie, Robert Shaw constantly reminded my dad of Harvey Korman and he (my dad) couldn't stop laughing! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 06:20:50 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept shamefully late this morning, but I think it's due to a hibernation gene triggered by the heavy snowfall.  I have my Toyland notes to write, laundry, an orchestration class to give later, and an urge to not leave the house.  Tomorrow I go to Philadelphia for the Philly Pops, so I need to line up a train schedule, pick my train reading, and hit the bank.

TOD:  The Paramount Theatre was this glorious pseudo-Tudor half-timbered monstrosity on Broad Street next to Gohn's Hardware, and I loved it.  DR Ginny's husband Richard and I spent many a happy hour through junior high and high school watching movies there.  My first memory of it is around 1950 when my Mother took me to CINDERELLA.  I was about 4, and have next to no memory of it, although I remember next year's aLICE IN WONDERLAND much better.  In the mid-1950s through the mid-1960s every Saturday morning at the Paramount was a kiddie-cartoon day and my brother Tom, my cousins, and I would spend 10 am to 1 pm with a crowd watching cartoons and serials for which we never saw beginnings nor conclusions.  

The interior of the Paramount was all mahogany, or some other dark wood, and ochre.  The lobby smelled of popcorn, which I miss in today's cineplexes, and the fountain coca cola was ambrosial.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 06:33:28 AM »

Monday greetings!  This is my second try for a post - I totally messed up the first time.

TOD - The Michigan Theater on Liberty Street in Ann Arbor.  Here's a small photo of the marquee:
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 06:34:20 AM »

...and here's a small photo of the exquisite lobby:
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 06:35:53 AM »

I am here. I spent some of the morning before beginning work doing an e-file of my federal taxes. I began using one site but they are less than user friendly in my humble opinion and I would recommend that any DR stay away from TaxEngine.com. I ended up using CitizenTax.com and filed my Federal taxes for free. I am now awaiting confirmation that the filing was accepted and then begins the two to three week wait for my refund. None of the sites offer free State filing so I will mail my NY state taxes in today. It will take longer but the curmudgeon in me refuses to pay money to e-file a simple tax return. I don't have complicated taxes and if they want people to file electronically they should make it easier, not more difficult. It's not even the price, the sites that do e-file for states charge generally around $7.95. It's the principle of the thing. I can't use TaxEngine.com to file my state return because they don't support NY State returns and forms. I'll just file the old fashioned way and wait until I'm forced by government red tape to begin filing electronically.

Enough of bad vibes, especially when I did get a nice refund from the U.S. Government.

On to work. The Shubert Foundation (from the estates of the various Shubert Brothers) calls me.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 06:37:54 AM »

Theatres in Coon Rapids, Minnesota were not of the grand variety. There were a couple of nice old theatres in Minneapolis but by the time I was going there to see movies most of the nice stuff had been covered up. After I left Minnesota two of the remaining old movie theatres were turned into "performing arts spaces" housing road shows and concerts. Some restoration was done and they are nicer now than they were when I was living in Minnesota.

Ginny

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 06:38:11 AM »

There are full-size photos of the Michigan at:

www.pbase.com/spepple/michigan_theater

The theater was built in the 1920's and is still used for movies and concerts.  One of my favorite recordings of University of Michigan songs is an LP of them played on the organ in that theater.  The only movie I remember seeing there was Love Story, but I must have seen more in the 5 years, 1968-73, that I spent in Ann Arbor.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 06:40:02 AM »

I needs must buy a new laser printer. My current printer (an NEC SuperScript 860) is almost 10 years old and they no longer make toner cartridges for it. I found some discontinued toners on line but they run around $155. For another $100 I can buy a decent new laser printer.

Laura, remind me, please. Which brand of printer was causing you distress? I want to avoid that one when doing my research.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 06:41:18 AM »

Ginny, now that you mention it I was in the Michigan Theatre. It was in 1997 when we were visiting a friend who lived there. We saw a Japanese Animae film there, Princess Something or other (I can't remember the name). The theatre is GORGEOUS!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 06:48:08 AM »

I am here at the office and the Vixter, much to her disgust, is at school.  Although about half of the school districts on the Island of Long chose to close today and another bunch decided to have "delayed openings" our district wasn't one of them.

I must say that the Town of Babylon (in which I reside)  did a wonderful job keeping the main roadways clear and the dreaded  Long Island Expressway (much to my amazement)was actually clear to the pavement, with nary a patch of ice or snow on the main roadway for my entire 30 mile trek.

I am not sure who is responsible for clearing the expressway, I suspect it is a county responsibility, but I drove through two counties and it was amazingly clear the whole way.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 06:53:49 AM by Vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 06:52:45 AM »

The Cinema Treasures site is magnificent, but a little bittersweet because many of the Detroit listings for the theaters of my youth indicate that the buildings have been demolished.  Here's their photo of the house where I saw my very first live, professional musical, the touring company of The Music Man, starring Forrest Tucker and Joan Weldon:

vixmom

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 06:53:10 AM »

Yesterday I refused to take the Vixter and her friend sledding as we have to drive about 5 miles to the nearest hill (we live on the flat south shore of Long Island, all the hills are on the north shore) and since it didn't stop snowing until 4 PM I doubted that the park parking lot would have been plowed out or even the gates open.

When I was a kid there were a lot more places to go sledding but the suburban sprawl has taken over almost all of the open areas so we must rely on parks.    

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 07:01:21 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautifully sunny but chilly day here, but today begins a warming trend which will find up near 70 by the end of the week. Only in the 40s today, however.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 07:03:11 AM »

I have to say that my AOL works flawlessly about 98% of the time, and I'm not sure the other 2% isn't partly my fault typing clumsily fast and hitting the wrong combination of keys that cause the program to shut down.

Now, I do have an old dial-up connection. Perhaps I'd be experiencing the same problems if I had a broadband connection with it. However, for my purposes it works just fine.

vixmom

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 07:04:50 AM »

When I was young I used to go to the Lindenhurst movie theatre which although just a red brick box on the outside, had a beautiful balcony and ornate ceiling.  It was allowed to fall into disrepair, turned into a cheap $3.00 movie place that would show movies that had already gone to video and finally closed a couple of years ago.  

The other movie theatre I loved was the Bay Shore theatre which had been a vaudville house in the late 1800's to early 1900's.  That could have rivaled any of the old Broadway theatres for beauty of architecture and ornateness.  It had a magnificent crystal chandelier inthe center and huge red velvet curtains that would pull back when the show was ready to begin.

They knocked that down in the late 1980's and put up a YMCA.

My favorite movei place though wa the Johnny All- Weather Drive In.  That had a indoor movie theater that was nothing special but ah!  The drive- in.... sitting in the station wagon in your pajamas with the  speaker in the front eating the treats mom brought along.  In the back of the parking lot there was a playground and rides and sometimes Johnny AllWeather "himself" would be there handing out balloons and making balloon animals.  and all the kids running around in there pj's and sneakers!

Alas that too has been knocked down to build a shopping center.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:05:44 AM by Vixmom »

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 07:05:09 AM »

Thank you, DR Vixmom, for the kind words about the show excerpts I sent you. Always nice to have someone appreciate something that you love to do.

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 07:07:03 AM »

Thank you, DR Vixmom, for the kind words about the show excerpts I sent you. Always nice to have someone appreciate something that you love to do.

I really did enjoy them.  And as I said before I would love to see anything else you would care to share and I suspect there are a few others here who would as well.

:D

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 07:10:08 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~PRE-OP VIBES~~~[/color][/move]
for dear Danise
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~GOOD HEALTH AND ANTI FALL VIBES ~~~[/color][/move]
for Danise's mom
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~TEAR DUCT HEALING VIBES~~~[/move]
for Bear

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:13:03 AM by Vixmom »

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 07:10:17 AM »

Growing up in Medford, Oregon we had 3 theaters...The Holly, The Craterian, and the Lithia Drive-in.

Most of my movie watching was at the Craterian. That is where the kiddie movies and Disney films were always shown.

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 07:12:26 AM »

I never seem to have any problems with AOL either. It always works just fine for me.

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 07:14:47 AM »

Ginny, now that you mention it I was in the Michigan Theatre. It was in 1997 when we were visiting a friend who lived there. We saw a Japanese Animae film there, Princess Something or other (I can't remember the name). The theatre is GORGEOUS!

And did you visit one of my favorite shops, Johy Leidy ?  I was so pleased to see their shop sign in the photo of the theater marquee and then to find that the shop has a website.  I've been wanting to go to Ann Arbor for a visit - you've inspired me, DR Ben!

FJL

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 07:23:42 AM »

Speaking as a tax practitioner, I'd be remiss if I didn't belabor the point that someone getting a healthy refund is a sign that they've given the IRS an interest-free loan.  As a rule of thumb, if your refund is regularly turning out to be more than 10% [a thoroughly arbitrary percentage] of your calculated tax liability (or if it's an amount that would have come in handy DURING the year had it not been withheld from your paycheck), you may want to look into getting a little less withheld.  

Psychologically, it FEELS nicer to get money from the IRS than give it on April 15th, but any substantial refund means that you've given an interest-free loan to the IRS.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:26:26 AM by FJL »

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 07:24:19 AM »

Well, the only real movie palace I ever went to was Radio City Music Hall on our twice-a-year trips to NYC. There was nothing like that here. Will never forget that famous organ, the elaborate stage shows, and the quality movies I saw there from 1958-74.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 07:29:44 AM »

My favorite theater in Charlotte was always the Carolina Theater because it was the Cinerama theater in town. As long as true Cinerama films were shown there, we would go, and it was a very big deal. We'd dress up in Sunday clothes and make a day/night of it. After CInerama went away, the theater played mostly roadshow engagements for the rest of the 1960s: THE SOUND OF MUSIC ran there 59 weeks. DR. ZHIVAGO played there for months and later roadshow events like 2001, ICE STATION ZEBRA, STAR!, HELLO DOLLY!, and PAINT YOUR WAGON also played there.

It's still there but it crumbling condition and not in use any more. There have been efforts to restore and refurbish the theater since it's downtown (the only movie theater in the area), but most developers see only the valuable site and want this bit of history totally demolished with a group of shops moved into the territory.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 07:33:16 AM »

My other favorite "new" theater in Charlotte was the Capri Theater which premiered with MY FAIR LADY in 1964. It was one classy cinema, and I loved going there for its roadshow engagements like THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY, DR. DOLITTLE, LORD JIM, THE SAND PEBBLES.

Our "rocking chair" theater was the Park Terrace where I saw THE GREAT RACE, CAMELOT, FINIAN'S RAINBOW, WAIT UNTIL DARK, and many others. It's the theater that's just a couple of blocks from my house, but, naturally, those rocking chairs are long gone replaced with the poipular "stadium seating" that many cineplexes have now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 07:40:03 AM »

I am trying to book a phone reservation with Amtrak for tomorrow and it's been an 18 minute wait!  What kind of asshole business practice is that?   I know everyone's pushing credit card-internet sales, but those of us preferring the archaic word cash should be treated better.  I am still waiting.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 07:46:24 AM »

I hope this makes you feel better Larry. While snuggling in during the blizzard

(Blizzard, hah, I know from blizzards. There may have been 26 inches of snow but this ain't no stinkin' blizzard. I grew up in Minnesota. I can tell you about blizzards, and I'm not talking about the Dairy Queen Frozen Treat  ;D)

we watched Latter Days and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the little video treats you've given us.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:47:00 AM by Ben »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up