Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND COMETH  (Read 24393 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE WEEKEND COMETH
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 06:45:48 AM »

As for the Olympics...

With the new scoring system, did they also discontinue the practice of having the skaters skate in reverse order according to their scores in the short program?  -Or is that more a World's competition practice?

-I was just hoping to see more of the higher-scoring skaters by the time I got home last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 06:46:33 AM »

Ooooohhhh... Page 2!

-I'm still waking up - just had to get up to move my car - so I'll let someone else take the dance.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2006, 06:49:16 AM »

~~~~BETTER DAY AT WORK VIBES~~~~ for Ginny

Thank you, DR Vixmom.  As long as I stay out of the administrative suite and avoid our PR twerp, I'll be OK.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 06:49:36 AM »

Oh... Yes!  Macaroni and Cheese!

BK - There used to be a Dalt's in Fairfax, VA, too - and I'm pretty sure it was "related" to the ones in CA.  However, it just closed up shop suddenly one day.  -And I remember how my friends and I were a bit surprised at the closing since it always seemed to be packed and doing good business.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2006, 06:51:11 AM »

I will also be e & t shortly.  I'll be leaving the office in about 45 minutes to make my way to Devon, PA, for training in a software package we have purchased and I'll be there all afternoon.  Devon is the home of the veddy Main Line annual attraction know as the Devon Horse Show.  Maybe I'll catch one of the Montgomery-Scotts galloping about.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 06:51:21 AM »

Dan - Let me state that I loved Chita Rivera's show - twice.  But there's some sense in the way she describes it (at least when I saw it) that Gennaro's contributions to WEST SIDE STORY have been kept as a secret, and she's revealing it now, which is just not the case.  I'm really not particularly in the know about much of anything, and I remember knowing about this info even back when I was in college, in the late 1970's.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 06:53:42 AM »

As for yesterday...

Lestat rehearsals were fun.  I really do love being in the rehearsal room.  And since I'm not back with the production "officially" yet, I was able just to sit back and observe and enjoy the proceedings.  However, I did end up lending my right hand for a bit to fill in some counter-melodies in one number.  That was fun.

:)

I also got to re-meet everyone, and also to meet the new members of our cast.  They've expanded the ensemble by two - one man, one woman.  A great group of people.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 06:55:18 AM »

Oh!  And "The Mayor of Broadway", Norm Lewis, stopped by rehearsals to say HI!  -He just seems to have an innate smile, and he has a way of making everyone around him smile too.  A good soul.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2006, 06:55:55 AM »

Page 2 Lori Nelson glamour photo dance.

FJL

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2006, 06:56:57 AM »

Does anyone else find the Olympic sport of curling very funny?  I realize they have to be in great condition and have great skill to do what they do, but as Skip pointed out, maybe I'm amused because what they do with their brooms (?) on the ice around the disc reminds me of housecleaning.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »

OH!

And the rehearsal studio complex was quite packed with talent yesterday.  One one floor, the NYCO was rehearsing The Most Happy Fella - I caught a few seconds of "Big D".  On another floor, the touring cast of Spamalot was doing a run-thru, and the Broadway cast was there to watch them too.  It was great seeing all those guys again too - Kevin Burrows, Christopher Sieber, James Ludwig, etc.  And I also found out that a couple of my friends are with the tour.  Even Mike Nichols was in attendance.  -Oh, and Hank Azaria is really cute when he almost runs in to you as you're trying to leave the rehearsal room.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2006, 07:01:30 AM »

Dan - Let me state that I loved Chita Rivera's show - twice.  But there's some sense in the way she describes it (at least when I saw it) that Gennaro's contributions to WEST SIDE STORY have been kept as a secret, and she's revealing it now, which is just not the case.  I'm really not particularly in the know about much of anything, and I remember knowing about this info even back when I was in college, in the late 1970's.  

Well, it is news to me.  But you are right about the way that Chita announces it, like Gennaro had been slighted for never receiving any official credit.  I learned long ago that kind of thing has always gone on with credited creators farming out some their work to others.  So while I found this particular piece of info interesting, it wasn't shocking.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2006, 07:07:09 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Tiiiiired, but up.  

Certainly any news of Ring of Fire would send ME running for various reasons - for those who have Rewind, you may or may not know whereof I speak.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2006, 07:10:01 AM »

I had to cut out of Lestat rehearsal for a bit to attend my "Orientation Meeting" for Local 802.  I really wasn't looking forward to going, and almost bagged it, but decided to get it out of the way now.

It was a great meeting.  Very no nonsense, very "plain English", and very funny at times.  There were about five of us in attendance for the meeting, and our "orienter", Summer.  She was very personable and had a great sense of humor.  A couple of us, myself included, were even able to get in a little bit of networking.  And it was also very cool finding out some of the services and assistance that Local 802 office offers.  I guess I wasn't expecting much initially due to my experience with the DC Local.  However, since the DC Local is housed in one small office building in about four offices, and the NY Local is housed in nine floors of prime NYC real estate...

As Sally sings... "I'm so glad I came."

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2006, 07:14:52 AM »

Good morning!

Mostly cloudy skies but very moderate temperatures again this morning, the last of our spring-like days for awhile. Supposed to get bitterly cold tonight and for the weekend with even a chance of snow and/or sleet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2006, 07:16:11 AM »

As for the Olympics...

With the new scoring system, did they also discontinue the practice of having the skaters skate in reverse order according to their scores in the short program?  -Or is that more a World's competition practice?

-I was just hoping to see more of the higher-scoring skaters by the time I got home last night.

They've never done it quite that way. The top six (or seven in some years) have always drawn lots to see who would skate where in the final group. That's still being done.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2006, 07:17:01 AM »

DR JOSE was it pianist Steven Beck that you know?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2006, 07:18:25 AM »

Whew!  Well, I enjoyed the Men's FreeSkate last night.  I will say that the skaters whose routines I enjoyed the most were Jeffrey Buttle and Matt Savoie.  Didn't like most of the others from music to costumes....but there you are.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2006, 07:19:13 AM »

I could have used a Styptic on Tuesday when I cut my hand on the glass I was throwing away.  Ouch!!!

Low energy AND burned out light bulbs?  DECEIT needs a recharge!

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2006, 07:20:26 AM »

DR MattH, I meant to mention this last night, but the link I posted RE: LOST also has the info you wanted about locke and the numbers. I think the explanation given made sense!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2006, 07:20:30 AM »

TOD:

DVD: THE FLY written by DR CP.  I like this film a lot...even though it is scary, and you certainly don't want to be eating anything during the last half!

CD:  HMS PINAFORE and THE EVERLY BROTHERS

VHS:  LOVELY TO LOOK AT, and it is.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2006, 07:20:46 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - BABES ON BROADWAY (soundtrack)

DVD - CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION - Season 5, disc 5
          M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY
          MASTER & COMMANDER (rewatching this)

DVR - CABIN IN THE SKY
          I, ROBOT

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2006, 07:22:17 AM »

I finished my day by attending a screening of the new Matthew McConaughey and Sara Jessica Parker movie, "Failure To Launch".  One of my roommates had been given a pass, but was not able to go, so...  DR Jason ended up joining me for the movie too.

A fun movie.  We both liked it.  It does lean toward "chick-flick", but there's plenty in there for everyone.  And we still liked the movie even though we had to watch it from the front of the theatre.  We just treated it like we were watching an IMAX movie.  However, being that close made it much easier to admire Matthew MacConaughey's physique - which is "featured" for a good chunk of the opening minutes - as well as his co-stars, Justin Bartha and Bradley Cooper.  -Actually, I found both of them a bit "distracting", but a in a good way.

I don't think I'd say run right out to the theatres when it opens, but I don't think you'd be disappointed if you ended up going to see it.  -And Terry Bradshaw and Kathy Bates play the parents... Very funny and touching.  OH!  However, I do have one "warning": you will get to see more of Terry Bradshaw than you ever wanted to see.   -And from the front row of the theatre... that was more than enough!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2006, 07:23:20 AM »

DR JOSE was it pianist Steven Beck that you know?

I don't know-know him, but he grew up in the DC area, and I would see and listen to him at various competitions.  Quite the talent.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2006, 07:23:38 AM »

DR MattH, I meant to mention this last night, but the link I posted RE: LOST also has the info you wanted about locke and the numbers. I think the explanation given made sense!

Yes, thank you so much.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2006, 07:24:53 AM »

Good morning everyone.  I slept in... and I'm not sure if I am totally awake yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2006, 07:25:51 AM »

Oh, my, just like yesterday, the gray skies are clearing away and leaving blue sky behind. So much more cheerful to have sunshine streaming though the window at my left side.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 07:26:20 AM by Matt H. »

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2006, 07:27:21 AM »

Re: the Olympics and the men's free skate.  Well I fell asleep just before the last skater came on to NBC (japanese). It was so late. What is up with showing it at 11:30pm????

I would be interested to know what the US commentators said about him. The Canadian ones thought he had a chance to beat the Canadian who was in 3rd.  Perhaps though his combo jump was seen as 2 separate jumps (and then he exceeded his allowed jumps?).

The new scoring system is extremely confusing.  Basically there was nobody who had enough on paper to beat the russian even before any of them skated.

I disagree with what most of you said about the russian winner.  He was really good. Maybe not outstanding. But he was clearly the winner. He was the only one who skated without falling. And all his jumps and movements looked easy. That is what I like to see in the winner, someone who jumps effortlessly.

I wonder if any of your opinions are biased by the somewhat mean comments from the American commentators. I thought they were extremely harsh on him, to the point of almost sounding ridiculous.

And they were extremely nice to the silver and bronze winners.  I guess they prefer artistry over skill.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2006, 07:35:39 AM »

As Scott Hamilton said about Plushenko, he had no program. There is more (or should be more) to skating than jumps and flailing arm movements. There was no choreography, no "whole" to the program. France's Surya Bonelay used to do the same kind of skating: a series of big jumps attached to uninteresting linking between the jumps, and the jumps were solid but NOT effortless. They had hard, sometimes jerky landings and sometimes a wide swinging free leg, not great technique. When I think of past champions who combined huge jumps with true artistry (John Curry, Robin Cousins come immediately to mind), his winning effort came up sadly lacking.

You have to understand that all of those NBC comentators were experienced, highly honored skaters who know the difference between raw technique and technique plus presentation. They didn't deny his jumping ability. But they all know that he was honored for the huge jumps, not the grace with which they weren't done.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2006, 07:38:01 AM »

Oh... Just in case anyone is interested:

http://www.failuretolaunchmovie.com/
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up