Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A STATE  (Read 29646 times)

Cillaliz

Re:IN A STATE
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2006, 02:11:27 PM »

I went to Ground Zero in the Spring of 2002 and it was very very difficult for me. Last spring, we had a meeting at the Marriott Financial Center, so I spent 3 or 4 days and nights literally a block from there.  I was amazed at the positive changes, the train station, the way places have been rebuilt or are in the process.

I did go see the sphere or orb. When I stayed at the Marriott World Trade Center in November 2000, my view was the sphere. So it was really interesting to go see it and the way it survived.  

I realize I'm not a New Yorker, so the meaning may be different for me, but spending a number of days at ground zero and really focusing on how things are coming back to life and thinking about how amazing it is that even though there was such a tremendous loss, New York is so resilient and alive. It was actually uplifting. That may sound strange, but it always feels good to know that life goes on.  The photo on my avatar is from that trip - when my friend Steve and I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and back before breakfast.

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2006, 02:14:52 PM »

Actually that is wrong, I went in the Spring of 2003, not 2002

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2006, 02:18:29 PM »

If only I was as skinny as I was when that photo was taken!  Maybe I need to get an extension cord for my treadmill while I'm at Lowe's ....gotta go

Laters

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2006, 02:20:18 PM »

No question MIDNIGHT COWBOY was my first X. I think BOYS IN THE BAND was an R, wasn't it? But I'm sure I saw some Rs before then. I just don't remember what they were. BOB AND CAROL AND TED AND ALICE probably.

MYRA BRECKINRIDGE was also an X, but COWBOY came first.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:21:26 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2006, 02:22:03 PM »

The question is, DRJOSE - where is cousin Alex today?

I believe he and his wife and two adorable sons are still living in the DC Metro area.  He eventually cleaned up his act, but it took him a while.  He was never really into drugs, drinking, smoking, etc - at least to my knowledge - but it took him a while to become a real adult.  Truth be told, he was the bane of my existence when were in middle and high school - he was just two years older/ahead of me..  He was one of the "cool kids", and I was a "drama queer".  But from what I gather, he's settled down in many ways, and all for the better.

-I actually haven't had any direct contact with him in a couple of years, and the last time I saw him was at the funeral for his mother.  His eulogy - well, more like commentary - sort of pissed me off.  -And it also upset my parents.  He made some comment about how there were a lot of faces in the church that day that he had not seen in years, and how it was sad that "we" only came together during the difficult times.  "Take a look at the faces around you, and decided whether you really want to spend time with the people around you."  -I just wanted to say to him, "Well, it's a two way streak.  I may not have been in contact with you over the past couple of years, but you haven't been in contact with me either..."  It was just such a weird and inappropriate comment to make at a funeral.

OK... That's my Oprah moment for the day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2006, 02:25:03 PM »

I went to Ground Zero in the Spring of 2002 and it was very very difficult for me. Last spring, we had a meeting at the Marriott Financial Center, so I spent 3 or 4 days and nights literally a block from there.  I was amazed at the positive changes, the train station, the way places have been rebuilt or are in the process.

I did go see the sphere or orb. When I stayed at the Marriott World Trade Center in November 2000, my view was the sphere. So it was really interesting to go see it and the way it survived.  

I realize I'm not a New Yorker, so the meaning may be different for me, but spending a number of days at ground zero and really focusing on how things are coming back to life and thinking about how amazing it is that even though there was such a tremendous loss, New York is so resilient and alive. It was actually uplifting. That may sound strange, but it always feels good to know that life goes on.  The photo on my avatar is from that trip - when my friend Steve and I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and back before breakfast.

That's a wonderful sentiment, and I know exactly how you feel.  It really is amazing at how "normal life" has resumed in New York City post-9/11.  Sometimes it feels like nothing ever happened, and while it's never a good thing to forget, there is something comforting in that sense of continuity
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2006, 02:31:42 PM »

TOD - I never saw Deep Throat, but one of the first local news stories I remember from when I moved to SW Ohio was the Hamilton County authorities agonizing over whether or not that movie was obscene.  The sheriff and his deputies had to go see the film and then - just to be absolutely sure -

they had to go see it again  :o

It took me more than twice to make up my mind!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2006, 02:37:37 PM »

This morning Craig’s girlfriend messaged on Yahoo with Keith and used her webcam at the same time.  So this afternoon Keith picked up a webcam for us and we talked with both Craig and Ioana.  It was so good to see his face again I almost cried.  We also saw their cat and dog.  This was the puppy left  in their building when we were in Bucharest last September.  He sure got big, the pup not Craig.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »

I have not seen any of the movies anyone has mentioned so far today.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2006, 02:45:06 PM »

Good Lord!  Maybe we should call you Typhoid Matt!

Or more appropriately Influenza Matt!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:45:32 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2006, 02:48:02 PM »

OK, off now to get the next DVD dub compelted so I can fix up the package for mailing tomorrow.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2006, 02:56:10 PM »

This morning Craig’s girlfriend messaged on Yahoo with Keith and used her webcam at the same time.  So this afternoon Keith picked up a webcam for us and we talked with both Craig and Ioana.  It was so good to see his face again I almost cried.  We also saw their cat and dog.  This was the puppy left  in their building when we were in Bucharest last September.  He sure got big, the pup not Craig.

:)

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, but...

Before I left for that bus and truck tour of Anything Goes - remember that map? ;) - I bought a pair of webcams for me and Steve.  -Actually, I believe the cams came in a two-pack now that I think of it.  Well...  This way we could say Goodnight - and sometimes Good Morning - "in person" to each other as I travelled across the country.  I would even take pics on the bus.  It was a great way to document my trip, and keep in touch with Steve at the same time.  I also managed to take a lot of pics of various hotel room art.  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2006, 02:57:50 PM »

Hmmm....thanks for the story DRJOSE.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2006, 02:58:51 PM »

Webcams are a great way to stay in touch.....yes, we ARE the Jetsons!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2006, 02:59:49 PM »

:)

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, but...

Before I left for that bus and truck tour of Anything Goes - remember that map? ;) - I bought a pair of webcams for me and Steve.  -Actually, I believe the cams came in a two-pack now that I think of it.  Well...  This way we could say Goodnight - and sometimes Good Morning - "in person" to each other as I travelled across the country.  I would even take pics on the bus.  It was a great way to document my trip, and keep in touch with Steve at the same time.  I also managed to take a lot of pics of various hotel room art.  :P

Any webcam photos you would care to show us?
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »

[/b]

Well, once I receive a valid credit card number from you and proof that you are above the age of 21...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »

Well, once I receive a valid credit card number from you and proof that you are above the age of 21...

;D

Well, not quite.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2006, 03:20:41 PM »

[/b]

But since you asked...

Here I am in my hotel room in Ruidoso, NM.  I believe it was a Super 8.  And there was also a Biker's Rally in town at the same time.  And there was lots of "interesting" smoke in the hallways wafting from underneath the rooms doors.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2006, 03:23:34 PM »

We stayed in Ruidoso, but played up on the mountain in Alto, NM.  The views from there were gorgeous!  And the theatre complex itself was quite spectacular too.  They had lots of Chihuly glass in the lobby.

-And here I am on the bus heading out of NM.

And the view from sitting next to the driver:

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2006, 03:27:45 PM »

Oh, and here is a pic of our set in the theatre in Flint, Michigan.

-OHH!!! Now I remember, "Mom" was in Clinton Township, MI.  However, Flint will forever be remembered for one of the scariest hotels I've ever stayed in.  It was a TraveLodge, but by the time we had reached there, they had lost the franchise license, so it was just a TraveLodge.  -The "Trave" was blacked out on the sign!  Ah, memories.. :-\

In any case... here's the set from the balcony:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:29:59 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2006, 03:32:02 PM »

Hmm.... That tour was just back in the Fall of 2000.  So near and yet so far...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2006, 03:46:25 PM »

I was sad to hear that the Canadian Ice Dancers had to withdraw. :(

And I am annoyed that yahoo has Olympics results up on their homepage. I had no idea they did this (giving results in the titles).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »

Well DRJENNIFER - the only thing you can be sure of:  I didn't win a medal in the Olympics.    Yet!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »

The lutefisk or the Norwegians?

I just passed the lutefisk in the grocery stores... The Norwegians are everywhere!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2006, 04:04:21 PM »

Since BK is not here at the moment, let me just say,

"Where in tarnation is everyone?  You would think it was a holiday."

Target, Penny's and Hornbacher's Therapy
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2006, 04:08:15 PM »

I remember driving up to NYC a few months after 9/11 with some friends...  Seeing the WTC was always the sign that I was very close to The City...  It truly was a different landscape, different skyline...  And still is.

For a friend of mine in N. New Jersey, the WTC was a landmark going to and from work.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2006, 04:10:04 PM »

Depends on the day and the Norwegian

DR Cilla you put it much more tactfully....

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2006, 04:10:09 PM »

It was inevitable - tuna glop is in the oven for our dinner.  DH Richard is pleased.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2006, 04:12:59 PM »

((DR Jane))

Gotta love the good things about the internet and the related toys...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2006, 04:16:36 PM »

That's a wonderful sentiment, and I know exactly how you feel.  It really is amazing at how "normal life" has resumed in New York City post-9/11.  Sometimes it feels like nothing ever happened, and while it's never a good thing to forget, there is something comforting in that sense of continuity

I admire the city for its resiliency, but I just looked at that huge emptiness, thought of everyone who died, and lost it!  For about a year after 9/11, I couldn't pass a policeman or fireman/firehouse without breaking into tears.  Such inhuman cruelty still amazes me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up