Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES  (Read 20307 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2006, 11:02:13 PM »

Well... It's off the LAND OF THE WUSSSBURGERS for me...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2006, 11:04:54 PM »

I just (about 45 minutes ago) got back from the high school production of Sweet Charity that the daughter of a co-worker is in.  The daughter (Mandy) played Helene and was quite good.  The Nickie was very good, too, and obviously a trained dancer.  The Charity was not bad.  She was spunky and optimistic and a good actress, but not a great dancer (although she could move) and not a very loud singer (they only had floor mics).  The guy playing Oscar was very good...nice voice, appropriately neurotic, and cute (and much too young for me, so don't get any ideas ;)).

Overall, the show was very enjoyable.  There was a lot of energy on the stage.  Sadly, there was a little too much energy in the audience. :P A little into the second act, a girl behind me on my left started talking to her friend and then a guy behind me on my right started talking to a friend of his and I could hear two different conversations!  I turned around to each of them and the guy got quite right away.  The girl, however, kept talking sporatically throughout the early part of the act and I had to actually look sternly at her.  That helped until the very end when SPOILER!!!....Charity gets dumped by Oscar and the girl behind me yells, "I KNEW IT!" very loudly.  A couple of people on stage almost broke character.  Damned high school audiences. ::)

George, Ihear what you are saying. I also hate that when you go to a movie and people are talking or cell phones go off... Very annoying.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2006, 11:07:50 PM »

Oh...and they didn't have a "Daddy Johann Sebastian Brubeck."  There were only seven boys in the entire show!  They had a Mama Brubeck:

Mama started out in San Francisco
Tootin' on her trumpet loud and mean
Suddenly a voice said, "Go forth Mama,
Spread the picture on a wider screen."

It worked well enough for a high school production. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2006, 11:08:07 PM »

Page 8 dance for the late nighters!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2006, 11:09:27 PM »

And they changed the line:  "Hit the road Daddy, leave your common-law wife" to "Hit the road Mama, leave your worries and strife."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2006, 11:11:52 PM »

Oh...and they didn't have a "Daddy Johann Sebastian Brubeck."  There were only seven boys in the entire show!  They had a Mama Brubeck:

Mama started out in San Francisco
Tootin' on her trumpet loud and mean
Suddenly a voice said, "Go forth Mama,
Spread the picture on a wider screen."

I have seen really good high school productions and I have seen really bad...

I was surprised when I saw a presentation of Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore...

I have seen a decent prodcution of Fiddler on the Roof...

The worst production I have ever seen in a high school production was Arsenic and Lace.... It was not pretty...
It worked well enough for a high school production. :)

George

« Reply #216 on: March 03, 2006, 11:12:58 PM »

Here's a Page 8 Dance!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #217 on: March 03, 2006, 11:13:07 PM »

And they changed the line:  "Hit the road Daddy, leave your common-law wife" to "Hit the road Mama, leave your worries and strife."

Hmmm, wonder if it was a miscue or the school requested the change.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #218 on: March 03, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »

I am not familiar with Sweet Charity but I am curious...

George

« Reply #219 on: March 03, 2006, 11:26:25 PM »

Hmmm, wonder if it was a miscue or the school requested the change.

I don't know if they got "official" permission to have a Mama Brubeck instead of a Daddy, but I'm sure the high school changed the line to reflect the change in gender.  And the new line isn't actually new.  When I was in Show Choir in high school (20+ years ago), we did the choral arrangement and it was censored edited so that it could be taken out of context of the show and the "worries and strife" line is in that choral arrangement.  They could very easily have just used that because it already exists and it works.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 11:34:10 PM by George »

George

« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »

And on that note (G flat), I'm heading to bed.  I want to go into work tomorrow and then I'm ushering for a local orchestra concert in the evening.  Goodnight!

George

« Reply #221 on: March 03, 2006, 11:31:11 PM »

I am not familiar with Sweet Charity but I am curious...

It has a very good score by Cy Coleman and Dorothy Fields.  Highly recommended. ;D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #222 on: March 03, 2006, 11:43:33 PM »

And on that note (G flat), I'm heading to bed.  I want to go into work tomorrow and then I'm ushering for a local orchestra concert in the evening.  Goodnight!

Pleasant dreams

I fell asleep earlier tonight after supper and slept for a number of hours but I think I am going to log off, pop in a movie and do some writing....

Debating between Mona Lisa Smile or Chocolat!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up