Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLOCK STRUCK TWELVE  (Read 52438 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CLOCK STRUCK TWELVE
« on: March 12, 2006, 12:44:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've learned about the clock's problems with anger management, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently striking twelve, too - I don't know what twelve did, but it really must have been bad.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 12:06:25 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE CLOCK STRUCK TWELVE
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 12:44:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: ACTUARY!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 04:31:54 AM »

WOW!! First post!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 04:35:01 AM »

Just popped in to say I'll be errant and truant the rest of the day.  Spent four hours at Temple yesterday  not only did they have  the Vixter's friends' Bat Mitzvah but there was also a boy celebrating his Bar Mitzvah and they were also have regular Sabbat Service.  Everything was done in Hebrew except for the Rabbi's sermon and the two kid's speeches.  But the prayer book was printed in English and Hebrew so we read along  and got the "jist" of it.

vixmom

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 04:37:18 AM »

One lovely thing was that the Bat Mitzvah girl's two best friends came to Temple, one Lutheran and one Muslim and sat side by side, respecting the order of worship and  beaming their pride in their friend's accomplishment.  If we could only spread such love and friendship worldwide.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 04:37:22 AM »

Good morning, all!  I am awake and ready to begin the day/  I have no idea what's on the schedule beyond a trip to the recording office, some edits in Toyland, and possiby a visit/dinner/movie with my friend Matthew, whom I haven't seen in several weeeks  We've been friends since 1970, and he moved to New York from Boston around 1986, when I got him a job with a crazy theatre producer.   He had broken up with his girlfriend Myra, lost his job with a theatre company in Boston, and needed to relocate.  Myra was a neat lady, who sadly was a passenger on the first plane to crash into the World Trade Center on 9/11.

So, I'm not sure of our plans, but Matthew and I will have a nice visit and possibly a movie.  Don't knowwhat yet.

TOD:  I need to ponder the question.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 04:37:54 AM »

Well we're off to church, Sunday school and then the Bat Mitzvah party!! Laters!

vixmom

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 04:38:42 AM »

Hello Larry!! Good bye Larry!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 04:39:46 AM »

DRvixmom, you sneaked in and stole my place while I was typing.

I hope you have a wonderful day today.  Give vixdad and the vixter my regards!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 05:09:36 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Today is WICKED! day for DH Richard, DS Rob, DN (dear niece) Lauren, and myself.  It's Lauren's Christmas present from us and we're all very excited.  The trip to downtown Cincinnati will be somewhat of an adventure because of all the street closings for St. Patrick's Day parade staging.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 05:10:40 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 05:20:19 AM »

A magical film for me is THOSE LIPS,THOSE EYES starring Frank Langella and BK's good friend and occasional co-star, Mr. Thomas Hulce.  It is a love-letter to the theatre, in many ways the story of my life from the viewpoints of both principal characters, and just one of those films that remind me why I got into this insane business in the first place.  If I'm ever feeling low, this is a movie I'll pop in.

Another magical movie for me is Alexander Korda's 1939 THIEF OF BAGHDAD.  A simple, lovely, elegant faery tale with a brilliant Miklos Rozsa score.

One last magical movie is THE FIVE THOUSAND FINGERS OF DR. T from the magical mind of Dr. Suess. which creates a rich fantasy world without the help of CGI and all the technology today.  The ballet in the film is one of the most  charmingly bizarre and wonderfully surreal moments on film.  The whole movie is charmingl and wonderful.

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 05:28:42 AM »

One lovely thing was that the Bat Mitzvah girl's two best friends came to Temple, one Lutheran and one Muslim and sat side by side, respecting the order of worship and  beaming their pride in their friend's accomplishment.  If we could only spread such love and friendship worldwide.

"...and a little child shall lead them."  Isaiah, 11:6
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 05:35:44 AM »

Good TOD!
Now I have to think about it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 05:36:39 AM »

A magical film for me is THOSE LIPS,THOSE EYES starring Frank Langella and BK's good friend and occasional co-star, Mr. Thomas Hulce.  

That is a good movie. Has it ever been released on DVD?
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 06:13:23 AM »

Magical movies???  That may take some thinking on my part.  It is still only 6:00 a.m. (or thereabouts) and I have been up since five.  Hmm, I think there is a Livitra joke in there somewhere, but I am certainly not the one to make it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful day here with a high of 80! More of the same tomorrow. "Summertime, and the livin' is easy!. . . ."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 06:54:29 AM »

Sorry I didn't log back on last night, but I fell asleep in my chair watching IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME and when I finally woke up at 12:30, I just fell into bed and slept the rest of the night.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 06:56:37 AM »

Before the Sandman caught up with me last evening, I watched several DVDs.

Started off with another CSI Season 2 episode, the famous one that had a dead scuba diver found in a tree.

I followed it up with another episode about an autistic librarian accused of murdering a co-worker.

Both of these episodes were wonderfully entertaining even after having seen them numerous times. Still never quite remember how everything is going to work out.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 06:58:41 AM »

I watched this week's MONK episode that featured Jon Faverau as a wily dentist. Fun episode but not much of a mystery.

My goodness, Jon has put on a lot of weight over the last few years! I have little room to talk, but at his age, he should be more concerned (as I was when I gained weight at the start of middle age) about his health and do something about it.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 07:00:26 AM »

Next came KISS OF DEATH, the original with Victor Mature and the Oscar-nominated Richard Widmark. Hadn't seen the film in quite a while, and the Fox noir DVD looks fine save a few moments where the print had spotting damage.

Always was an involving story and a fine film.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2006, 07:01:54 AM »

And then, IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME. I think the film looks just splendid, but I didn't make it much past Judy's first number ("Meet Me Tonight in Dreamland"). Will want to finish it today while I prepare and eat lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2006, 07:02:47 AM »

I also still have not watched Friday night's CONVICTION which I will also accomplish today while I'm doing laundry.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2006, 07:04:37 AM »

Finally got federal and state taxes finished. What a relief to have that behind me! After doing them myself for the first time in 25 years, I was rather petrified with the prospect, but the tax preparation programs make things very easy, and it was a painless experience for the most part. I know now I'll be able to handle this myself from now on, and that's a great relief.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2006, 07:07:04 AM »

And lots of new TV tonight:

THE SOPRANOS returns after a two year hiatus with episodes that critics are saying are as powerful and involving as the show ever was. That should be very interesting to watch.

And then the usual suspects for me: COLD CASE, LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, and CROSSING JORDAN, all with new episodes.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2006, 07:08:28 AM »

HBO is also premiering a new drama series about a Morman (Bill Paxton) with multiple wives after THE SOPRANOS tonight. The subject matter does really seem interesting to me on first reading, so I may wait to watch it on one of teh many rebroadcasts it'll have this week when other things on are reruns.

FJL

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2006, 07:25:41 AM »

In terms of magical movies, I'd have to put the experience of seeing BREAKING AWAY in a movie theater at the top of my all-time list.  It was in theaters just about the time I was getting ready to leave the family homestead for the first time, and it filled me with hope and the excitement of "possibilities."    

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2006, 07:29:05 AM »

Magical movies for me would include MARY POPPINS, THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO, and all of the Walt Disney animated features from SNOW WHITE to SLEEPING BEAUTY.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2006, 07:29:40 AM »

I'm going to hop off-line for a little while to tend to a few things.

I'll be back later.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 07:31:33 AM »

Yo!

Yesterday afternoon i went to Sherman Oaks to a small reunion of classmates from High School, at a cozy little restaurant on Ventura Bl. Jane and Keith were there - Jane looking lovely and Keith looking like Perchik from FIDDLER - and a couple of others i remember well. AND sitting one over from me on my left - Susan Marton - the 2nd from left girl in the picture of jane's wedding which she posted a few days ago! Hi, Susan! She looks exactly the same, except her jawline is slightly less defined (sound familiar, anyone?) and her hair is a little shorter. But she still has the same birthday as mine. So i gave Jane and Keith all your hello's, and she hello'd back at ya!

Then i went through a large music store on Ventura Bl about 2 miles from the restaurant... looking for ANY music from ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, in quest of the song NEVER - about which we spoke yesterday. Nope - outa print! But the clerk gave me the lead of the Burke Library in Glendale, which only stocks music and arts on their shelves. So I'll give 'em a call. I get obsessed, you see... So more research is in the agenda for today.

Plea - if any HHW denizens has a copy of NEVER (and other Lily Garland songs?) from ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, might you be so very very kind to make a copy and send them to me??? I'll pay postage and copy costs. I'll be eternally grateful.
PennyO

FJL

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2006, 07:41:22 AM »

Another movie that affected me in a major way was the Doris Day-Rock Hudson film LOVER COME BACK.  I became obsessed with trying to understand how it worked, why it worked, its wonderful structure, how much a copy it was of PILLOW TALK while at the same time feeling thoroughly original and still relevant when I first saw it, nearly 25 years after it came out.  Ultimately, even with all the arguably misanthropic humor in the film, the journey of the Rock Hudson character made it a transcendent comedy about the redemptive power of love.  I think that movie hit me around the right time in my life as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up