Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A CONVENTIONAL DITHER  (Read 53219 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:A CONVENTIONAL DITHER
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2006, 04:55:54 PM »

Alas, I'm not playing Anna.  However, I am still in the running for both Tuptim and Lady Thiang.

:P

;D

Shake your groove Thiang!
Shake your groove Thiang!
Yeah!  Yeah!
Show them how to do it now!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2006, 04:57:10 PM »

*Alas, I don't find the winners of the first season of "The Next Food Network Star" all that winning.  They're OK, their program is OK, but, again, it's all just OK.  -And I'm guessing that maybe the Food Network thinks it just OK too since the program is sort of buried in their schedule, and the promotion for it has been minimal.  -At least in my viewing.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »

OH!  Very strange thing just happened.  I was Page Forwarding and Page Backwarding and ended getting a HHW Error Page with the word "Hacker?" on it.

???
You were coughing?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »

Page Six Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2006, 04:59:55 PM »

Yes, the play is still playing.  No, dear reader Jane has not bothered calling me.  I've finished proofing five out of the seven stories and I must say I'm rather happy with all of them.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2006, 05:02:57 PM »

Dear esteemed BK: I'm not surprised that you haven't experienced a conventional dither, as you are not very political.  Der Brucer and I have, in the past, witnessed a number of political conventions that were very dithered.  Television coverage does not do them justice.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2006, 05:06:20 PM »

The first gay character that I remember encountering in film was Martin Landau's character in North by Northwest.  I knew he (the character, Leonard)was gay because I'd been reading about Hitchcock and the film, and had been alerted to this.  My reaction was a little "ewwwww," because I'd already figured myself out and didn't care for Leonard as a role model.

Couldn't they at least have hired an actor who was cute?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2006, 05:07:50 PM »

And going back to the Topic of the Day...

I guess Kenneth and Judd from Fifth of July would also have to be the first openly gay characters I came across on stage.  Well, actually on the small screen via the American Playhouse presentation on PBS back in the early 80's.

However, coming in a close second would have to be the characters of Brian and Mark in Michael Cristofer's The Shadow Box.  They stick in my mind because it was the first time I realized that a man could have been married and gay.  I remember being confused at the set-up the first time I saw the play.  "Ooohhhh... I get it now."  And I remember renting the video of the movie too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2006, 05:08:43 PM »

BK - Has Christiane called yet?

;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 05:10:08 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) - Nice to see you sharing pics from your family album.

;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 05:11:16 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2006, 05:16:52 PM »

An interesting side-note:

Der Brucer picked up a "special collector's edition" of The Complete Adventures of Curious George, which includes the original seven stories written by Margret and H. A. Rey.  In the introduction, the readers are told that George was originally to be named Fifi  :o, and that the title and name change was the publisher's decision.  Furthermore:

In 1942, Chattom & Windus issued the first British edition of Curious George under yet another name, Zozo.  George was the reigning monarch's name, and in 1940s Britain, curious meant "gay."

Amazing what you can learn from the introductions to children's literature, isn't it!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2006, 05:26:45 PM »

Page Six Dance:

This is just wrong on so many levels! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2006, 05:40:23 PM »

And I just remembered, Russel Paxton (originally played by Danny Kaye) in Lady in the Dark is often referred to as "flamboyant."

There are gay characters in Euripides' play THE CYCLOPS, VanBrugh's restoration comedy THE RELAPSE, and there's a line in the script for PAL JOEY to Joey, "stay away from the drummer; he's only a kid" or something to that effect.  Before that on Broadway there was THE GREEN BAY TREE, and the four gay boys in Noel Coward's operetta BITTER SWEET.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »

Alas, I'm not playing Anna.  However, I am still in the running for both Tuptim and Lady Thiang.

:P

;D

I guess it depends on whether your high note is a G or a B!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2006, 05:43:15 PM »

I guess it depends on whether your high note is a G or a B!

I have both!  *And Tuptim actually only goes to a high A#.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2006, 05:44:26 PM »

I have both!  *And Tuptim actually only goes to a high A#.

Aren't you lucky then!  It means not only dogs will get to hear it.  The song is in B, as I recall.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2006, 05:46:56 PM »

All kidding aside, DR Jose, it was nice to see you and DR Jason today.  Thanks for the help.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »

All kidding aside, DR Jose, it was nice to see you and DR Jason today.  Thanks for the help.

You're very welcome.  It was nice seeing you again too - and I was very proud that Jason put himself first today and took the day off from work to go to the audition - no matter what the outcome may be.

*And we also scouted out the new Trader Joe's when we left your office.  I'm sooooo excited.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2006, 05:52:11 PM »

I think the first gay character I remember from a movie was the Sal Mineo character in REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE.  It was obvious to me, as a teenager, that Mineo's character was in love with James Dean.  I understand that at one point, they considered putting in a kiss between Mineo and Dean, but the studio refused to allow it.

The next film (or at about the same time) would have been CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.  When I watched that movie, I kept thinking the whole time I was watching it, that Skipper must have been a Hell of a Hot man, if Brick was picking him over an incredible-looking Elizabeth Taylor
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2006, 05:52:39 PM »

Re: last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVESI'm not sure how I feel about it.  Some of it was funny.  Some of it was over the top.

The thing with Bree's son was sort of amusing.  And you just knew she was going to find a way to beat him.  I was sort of happy that they dealt with the drinking issue.  But then sort of annoyed that she wasn't really sincere about AA.  I'm wondering if since she is going, if they will drop this storyline. Or will it continue?

SPOILER ALERT

I thought that part of the storyline was great- having worked in the field somewhat- I thought it was an EXTREMELY accurate portrayel on an addict.  I don't think that she's insincere about AA and making a change in her drinking- but this is all that she is capable of.  That's my opinion anyway.  I hope they continue with the storyline.  I'm sure that there are going to be further mishaps for her.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2006, 05:52:54 PM »

Aren't you lucky then!  It means not only dogs will get to hear it.  The song is in B, as I recall.

Yes, the song is in "B", My Lord and Master.
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2006, 05:54:14 PM »

Bruce had Toco Bell, we had El Cholo's-oh so good!!

Taco Bell, yum!! I'm dying to try a crunch wrap supreme.  It's the size of a pocketbook!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2006, 05:55:49 PM »

Good Afternoon!

In any case... It was nice seeing DR elmore in his element .............

You went to Royland?
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »

*And we also scouted out the new Trader Joe's when we left your office.  I'm sooooo excited.

Cute staff at the new TJ's?

(Amazing how a Hawaiian shirt can look sexy!)

Ben

« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »

Richard Thomas was a replacement for Christopher Reeve in Fifth of July.

I forgot about Shadow Box. I saw that show in 1977. One of the first Broadway shows I ever saw (not THE first, that was Promises, Promises in 1971 at the Shubert with Tony Roberts who had replaced Jerry Orbach).

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2006, 06:18:59 PM »

I had pizza for dinner.  I never have pizza for dinner on Mondays.  I feel like I've crossed some kind of line.

You , you ....... MONDAY PIZZA EATER!!!!!!!

I am shocked and dismayed by this abhorant behavior.  I myself had warmed over Chinese takeout, perfectly acceptable Monday evening fare..

;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2006, 06:22:47 PM »

I have to go.  Vixmom, if it isn't too late-don't worry if it is-please order me two boxes, one samoa and one peanut butter sandwich ones.

Sorry I dropped out before to heat up dinner  :D

I think I can still put the order in There is a meeting tomorrow evening where I hope to pick up some other DR's orders, so I can in turn get them in the mail.   BTW all cookie buyers - I am holding the checks until I get delivery of your cookies just in case something goes wrong so I can return your checks.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2006, 06:25:04 PM »

The first gay play I ever saw was the Off-Broadway production of BOYS IN THE  BAND in March of '69.  I didn't like the play then, and I don't care for it now.  Nor did I understand, then, why the majority of the audience was male or why at intermission they all stood around the lobby, leaning against the walls staring at each other, but not talking.  At 18, I found it all a little bit creepy.
“One thing’s universal,

vixmom

« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2006, 06:29:10 PM »

Page Six Dance:

How did you get photos from my wedding reception?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »

I'm up.

I've been home all day, truly UNDER the weather, as they say (although why they say that is a complete mystery to me).

Under the weather is what I am.  The weather is, indeed, above...overhead...in the sky...and I am under the sky.

As are you all.

Egads!  The entire known world, including Haines His Way.com, is UNDER the weather as I write.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up