Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTHOR'S NOTE  (Read 20942 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:AUTHOR'S NOTE
« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2003, 07:43:18 PM »

Off to watch a movie.  Last night we watched The Man Who Know Too Much with Stewart & Day.  Does anyone know if Hitch was in this movie?  We couldn’t find him.  I believe there is one movie he wasn’t in.  I have never seen the original 1934 (?) movie.  How is it?

Jennifer

« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2003, 07:43:52 PM »

Jennifer:

Tilting is a term that can mean jousting, or waving a lance or sword.

Tilting at windmills is what Don Quixote de la Mancha did.  Those windmills didn't do a thing to him.  It's what they represented in his mind that mattered to him.

The phrase "tilting at windmills" or, in this case, "tilting the windmills," means you've fought the good fight, taken on the establishment;  in other words, whether you achieve the desired end results, you took action on principle!  (also see: fighting a losing battle).

Ah thanks. I figured he was saying he was proud of me for "talking" to amazon.

I am just like that. I don't know if it's good or bad.

But I was really happy with the letter I got. It was one of the first times that I felt like the person there actually was trying to respond intelligently.

As I said before, usually I just get so frustrated. But this time I had to write. I mean they ate my discount code :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2003, 07:46:57 PM »

Yes, Hitch is in THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. He's in the Morocco marketplace sequence.

There was more than one movie in which he didn't appear.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2003, 07:49:10 PM »

How sad is it that, while reading Juliana's new entry, I've found myself tearing up a few times? I'm so proud of her!

I hope you all had good days...Mine was nice actually, nothing too huge happened. During my lunch, the fire alarms went off, and we were ushered out into the snow (Yes, Virginia, it was snowing...) for about 25 minutes until they said it was electrical problems. I WAS cold, but luckily I found someone to hug for 25 minutes, so it was all good :).

Welcome to the cookie jar, DR Diane! What flavor are YOU?

-I've noticed that people have stopped answering that question...*tear*!-

I love board games, and the only computer game I play is solitaire. I'm not really into the actual games. Kids today still like LIFE, as long as they have long attention spans.

Sorry I couldn't post today, I had school, then work, then my computer kept shutting down. Ah well :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2003, 07:49:33 PM »

Jennifer, interesting story.  Maybe your luck will begin to change.  For years I had a problem with people pushing me.  I mean really shoving me so I was bounced a few steps.  Whatever was causing this rather common occurance to happen eventually stopped.

Well I wouldn't say it's bad luck. It's just interesting.  The thing is I detest lying.  But I have learned from experience that if I tell them I am going to visit my boyfriend they will give me a harder time than if I say I am visiting a girlfriend.

I think next time I will say I am eloping with my American bovfriend just to catch them offguard :)

Actually I have not been to the US for two whole years. So who knows, maybe things have really changed since 9/11. Maybe they are looking for more important things and wouldn't bother with me.

I'm gonna go read Juliana's journal now.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2003, 07:50:48 PM »

oops. I forgot to answer the second part of your question. Yes, I've seen the first version of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. I much prefer the remake even if it is substantially longer. BTW, that's one of the films in which Hitch didn't appear. He wasn't in THE RING or JAMAICA INN or SABOTAGE or SUSPICION. He was in SABOTEUR (in case someone was going to correct me about that.)

Hitchcock always said that he considered the first MAN to be the work of a talented amateur and the remake to be the work of a professional. The second one, with a big Hollywood studio behind it and a much larger budget, is much more polished and watchable, I think.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 07:54:19 PM by Matt H. »

Jennifer

« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2003, 07:53:01 PM »

Re: tonight's Survivor

I won't spoil anything. But if you haven't seen it, don't read ahead.

Last week's episode was so exciting. They didn't show so much of what went on. And it was shocking and fun.

In tonight's episode it was boring, and predictable.

Anyone else feel this way?

Jennifer

« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2003, 08:00:06 PM »

Hey it's Laura II: HI!!!!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2003, 08:07:18 PM »

Just read Mandelbaum's review of NEVER GONNA DANCE. He was decidedly mixed but mostly negative. He basically called it a "dud."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2003, 08:35:10 PM »

It's Easter Egg Time!

If anyone else out there has The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Special Extended DVD Edition (you know, the four-disc set where the film itself is about forty minutes longer and there's so many extras they take up the second two discs), there's a special treat.

On disc one, go to the chapter selection menus, to the final page, and click on down to where it says "*New Scene."  There will be ring symbol.  Click on that, and you'll get a special bit from the MTV Movie Awards.  FUNNY!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #220 on: December 04, 2003, 09:01:02 PM »

Dear Reader Michael Shayne -- Thank you for the David Hemmings' photos.  Judging from that second Blow-Up picture, it is obvious that some men look better with all of their clothes on.  Even so, he was a handsome devil in Camelot -- evil, but handsome.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2003, 09:30:07 PM »

Home from dinner.  Actually, I don't think Hitch is in the marketplace sequence - is he on the bus at the beginning- he's somewhere right up at the front of the film, though.

Jane

« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2003, 09:31:03 PM »

Yes, Hitch is in THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. He's in the Morocco marketplace sequence.

There was more than one movie in which he didn't appear.

Thanks.  We looked but couldn't find him. :-[

Jane

« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2003, 09:34:11 PM »

Home from dinner.  Actually, I don't think Hitch is in the marketplace sequence - is he on the bus at the beginning- he's somewhere right up at the front of the film, though.

We looked there as well.  

MBarnum

« Reply #224 on: December 04, 2003, 09:38:06 PM »

Yes, Jennifer, I didn't think tonights SURVIVOR was all that exciting...but then it would be hard to beat last weeks episode!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: December 04, 2003, 09:43:26 PM »

Well, he's somewhere - I'll whip out the movie and let you know.

Just finished Juliana's Journal, which was heartfelt and lovely.

Laura II

« Reply #226 on: December 04, 2003, 10:29:10 PM »

Hi everyone! (Hi Jennifer!!!)

I'm back from Philly. :) Actually, I've been back since Monday evening, and I had so much to catch up on. Sounds like the past week has been interesting, and I'm sorry I missed it! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I'm currently writing this as snow falls and sticks (!!!). It's the first snowfall of the season! The kids will probably have a delay tomorrow (or maybe even have the day off, as our county school board members flip at the sight of snow). If the kids have off, I won't have to work. Oh the possibilities.

All right, well I have a lot to say!

First, DR Charles Pogue: I'm glad to hear Julieanne is safe, and I know you're there for her as she gets through this. Everyone involved is in my thoughts and prayers.

Sarah--Oy to Ingerski. What he said to you was blatantly wrong. I'm actually quite surprised at that as I encountered him a few times when he was a pleasant human being.

DR Ron (and all others who are sick): Feel better vibes!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Welcome to the board, Diane!!![/move]

Decorations: I know this was yesterday's question, but I just had to answer it. My mom and I *love* to decorate. We are hardly finished this year, but we should be done soon. (We had a late start.) All right, inside we have our large fake tree in the morning room, complete with decorations from the year my parents got married to now. We also have our Advent wreath there. There are candles in the morning room, living room, family room, dining room, my bro's bedroom, and my dad's bathroom windows, and the front windows and front door all have wreaths. In the foyer, we put garland around the banister, and I set up our Christmas village. There are Annalee dolls placed throughout the house. Our Nativity set is on our mantel in the family room. Hmm what else? Oh, we have all 101 Dalmations from a past McDonald's Christmas promotion in our basement (the theme for our mini tree there), plus various Christmas stuffed animals. The mini tree in our living room has a gold ornament theme. My bro and I each have mini trees in our bedrooms with our ornaments on them. (Mine are mostly Disney ones and the entire Broadway collection from Carlton Cards.) We also have Christmas-themed comforters, sheets, and curtains for our rooms.  Finally, there are more lights in the living room windows (the front of our house), along with icicle lights over our porch and garage. We also decorate the porch with garland and bows. Finally, in our front yard (and I *promise* this is not tacky), we have a Nativity scene. Someone posted a picture of one that I actually think is the one we have, but ours is all white. (My mom prefers white lights and decorations to colored lights and decorations because she thinks the colored lights look childish and busy.) That's about all we have. Last year, someone stole our Baby Jesus. I certainly hope it doesn't happen again.

All right, I have more to say, but this is getting long, so I'll post now and then post the other stuff soon.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 10:32:42 PM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #227 on: December 04, 2003, 10:30:43 PM »

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow...  Just to confirm DR Sarah's "observation", Yes, it is snowing in Virginia.  We're supposed to get anywhere from 2-4 inches tonight, and then another storm could come in tomorrow night and give us another 6 inches or more.  I LOVE SNOW!  Of course, since I am playing a show right now... But a night off would be nice.  ;-)  *And with the AFM's COB, as long as we play five shows in a week, we get paid for the full week, so....  ;-)

Good day today.  Long, but good.  Understudy rehearsal went well.  The male swing has to cover 11(!) tracks, and we started doing some detail work on the fight choreography.  Made some good progress.  Tomorrow is scene work, and it's an "optional" day for me, but I'll most likely go in just because I have nothing else really planned - as I had planned on going in tomorrow anyway.  But with the weather, we'll see what the morning brings.

As for board games...  Monopoly - although I don't I ever played it the way it was supposed to be played.  I remember reading the rules one time, and wondering "Really?!?!?".  I also loved Parcheesi, Life, Scrabble, Sorry, Operation, Mousetrap.... Oh, and Connect Four too.  I never got into Trivial Pursuit, but enjoyed playing it the few times I have.  On the tour bus, we played 20 Questions - I think that's what it is called.  You draw a card with five words on it.  You wager how many clues it will take you to guess all five words correctly.  Kind of like Taboo in a sense.  Fun game - and if I remember correctly, it won Games Magazine's Game of the Year designation.

-And I remember having a Titanic and a Bermuda Triangle game.  The Bermuda Triangle had this "cloud" that moved across the game board.  It had magnets in it, so that when you moved it across the board, it would pick up any player's pieces in the way.  Oohh... so mysterious!  ;)

Well, I'm tired... -and that was quite a bit of post reading I had to do.. :D

Ciao for niao!
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2003, 10:42:12 PM »

DR Noel: I want your cd. I didn't have a chance to check your site. But did you decide what you are doing for Canada shipping wise?

I've not completed my investigation of how much it will cost to mail the thing to Canada, and how much time it will take standing on line at the post office.  There's been so much to do.

But the website, www.WeddingMusical.com is, at long last, operational, and accepting orders.  Eventually, I'll change what lyric samples are shown, what music samples are listenable, different photos and maybe the upcoming article in DRAMATICS.

But I'm especially pleased that our first order came from a DR.  It's just too too (oh, a Les Girls reference)!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Laura II

« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2003, 10:44:45 PM »

Ok, more to say :)

Ice Cream: I had Finding Nemo ice cream tonight! I *love* ice cream! I could eat it everyday. (And sometimes I do!) My all-time favorite has to be pistachio. Mmm! I also love chocolate chip cookie dough. I am proud to say I brought my fellow local Giant customers the smooth taste of spumoni ice cream and the creamy Ben and Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough when I requested these flavors at the customer service desk. Oh yeah!

Board Games: DRs Danise and JRand--Yes yes yes! Kids love board games! Just last week, my friend came home from school, and we visited here at my house while playing "old school" board games, as we like to call them. We played Life, Guess Who, and some card games. JRand--Pit is awesome! So is Clue. Diane--Don't Break the Ice is fun (with the tissue), and Chutes and Ladders is my favorite board game ever! I wish I knew what Careers was. I have played Go to the Head of the Class and Go for It before, though.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #230 on: December 04, 2003, 11:18:56 PM »

I have a confession to make.  I have never seen ANGELS IN AMERICA and despite the awards the play got and the advance raves the HBO movie is getting I still really have no desire to see it.  I don't like drag queens, don't believe in angels and saw an excellent movie a few years ago about Roy Cohen.  I will probably tape all six hours but don't know if I will get through the whole thing.  Can any DR explain why this is supposed to be such a great work and why I should watch it?  The critics haven't convinced me.

I don't know how this cable movie version is, but Angels In America is, by almost all estimations, the best American play of the last 40 years or so.  It's funny, it's profound, and manages to tie together a lot of wild ideas in very interesting ways.  I don't like drag queens and don't believe in angels, too.  Luckily, Tony Kushner's play isn't really about those.  It's about the necessity of taking care of our fellow man.  And the scene with Roy Cohn and his doctor (Ron Liebman and Kathleen Chalfant in drag) was the most frightening thing I've ever seen on a Broadway stage.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2003, 11:24:26 PM »

I watched the fast-deteriorating "Survivor" -- Jon Fairplay has got to go.  

And Darrah -- oh, lordy! -- that nasal, monotonic cracker accent makes me want to stick needles in my eyes!  There's nothing charming or genteel about that noise, folks...it's puretee monotonic screeching.

I'm pretty sure she's tone deaf.

Jed

« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2003, 11:30:54 PM »

Well, we had a pretty decent final dress rehearsal for A Christmas Carol tonight.  A few little bumps, of course, but nothing too big... as long as the fog machine doesn't set off the fire alarm again. :D

Laura II, so good to see you back where you belong!  Thanks for the tip... we were already on top of that one!

Snow, snow, snow, that's what we have around these parts tonight.  The highway back from rehearsal was a bit nasty (it's about 25 miles or so), but I wasn't in any hurry, so all was good.  Does make the town look rather nice, though.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up