News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TARDY  (Read 21456 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TARDY
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:20:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were tardy and yet you were not tardy reading them, and now it is time for you to post until the tardy cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 12:14:48 AM by bk »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:TARDY
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 01:35:47 AM »

Woo Hoo! First Post! And I have nothing of interest to say.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:36:23 AM »

And not another post until 7:35am! I'm here, you can't bitch slap me!!!

I don't have any questions for anyone nor do I have anything of great interest to report. I look at my desk full of work and realize that I must not linger here because the work will not complete itself.

I will be back

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 05:16:40 AM »

The Amazing Race continues tonight!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 05:16:58 AM »

Rodzinski - the HHW scofflaw!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 05:20:33 AM »

No word of the day?  Yet?

It would be nice if my Criterion DVD's arrived today.....we will see.

Just to start.....what is everyone's favorite Albert Finney performance?  I watched THE ENTERTAINER on Monday night, and there he was looking so very young as the son of Laurence Olivier.....

SCROOGE for sure....and TWO FOR THE ROAD.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 05:20:55 AM »

Interesting editing, writing, and email vibes for MR BK.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 05:24:34 AM »

I liked Albert Finney in TOM JONES and THE DRESSER.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 05:36:40 AM »

I thought Joanne Worley played the Dresser, in Beauty and the Beast.  Or was she supposed to be a Wardrobe?

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 05:38:02 AM »

I have a question for BK:

WHAT"S THE WORD FOR THE DAY???
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 05:39:43 AM »

Isn't Alias due back tonight?

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 05:49:36 AM »

Yep 2 hour ALIAS from 8-10pm!

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 05:55:29 AM »

Re: IDOL last night, I thought most were pretty good. But I was surprised by Chris. Was definitely not expecting that.

I did think Katharine was very good. And thought they were very harsh on kellie. I love that song! ( i knew simon would hate it).

I don't really think the bottom 3 will depend that much on the performances, since people already have their favorites.  I would guess ace, elliot, and paris would be in the bottom.  I really think chris, taylor and kellie are the most popular. And i think the judges will have saved katharine. But i guess kellie could be bottom 3.

I really think ace is going home.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 05:58:01 AM »

Re: something DR CP said about not understanding how anyone can say they love their kids/pets/friends more than themselves.

I disagree re: kids. I don't think it means that you don't love yourself (just because you love them more). But I can certainly 100% see how many parents would say this. And I think it's completely right.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 07:21:54 AM »

Good morning!

Until five minutes ago, it has been raining since 8 a.m. Still gray out, but it's pleasantly cool and I'm sure the clouds will clear and we'll have a lovely afternoon.

However, since it's so wet, I've already been in the treadmill knowing I won't go walking, and I'll go back to it again later today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 07:25:16 AM »

I agree with you about voting for IDOL, DR Jennifer. I don't think performance has as much to do with it now as the fan bases the favorites have already established. I vote for Elliott until he's eliminated, and then I'll probably switch to Chris.

Kellie is very popular; her line was very busy last night on the East Coast with her fans doing damage control in case she lost some support. I don't think her getting ahead of the music will destroy her chances of staying on the show. Also, she took her mistakes in stride, apologized for them, and was harder on herself than the judges were actually. I'd say Paris is the more vulnerable of the two though her line was the busiest last night which surprised me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 07:30:04 AM »

I am looking forward to the return of ALIAS tonight (two back-to-back episodes).

potential spoilers - - - - -- - - -

I am SO happy to see that Lena Olin and Greg Grunburg and Bradley Cooper are bringing their characters back to the show for these final episodes. I don't like that the evil Francey will return, too, but that's another matter. I think when they've shown us someone is dead, it should remain that way.

On the other hand, if they can explain their way out of it with a measure of invention (a la Michael Vaughn), I am flexible enough to buy into their scenario of these people coming back. But DON'T bring back Vaughn's wife from season three!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 07:51:55 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 07:33:07 AM »

Fans of INVASION are reminded that it returns tonight as well! I doubt it'll be picked up for another season, so I'm going to enjoy these last episodes as much as possible.

On the OLD ABC (the network that allowed ALIAS to continue to run despite tepid ratings because they had no big hits), shows like INVASION and IN JUSTICE and EYES (from last season) would have been renewed due to their inventiveness and great writing and acting. But now that ABC is a major ratings player, they want a slate full of hits and shows on the bubble don't usually get a second chance. (They're a tiny bit more forgiving of lower rated comedies than dramas.)

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 07:33:40 AM »

ANd I have VERONICA MARS from last night to watch this afternoon. Really looking forward to that.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 07:36:30 AM »

I don't like that the evil Francey will return, too, but that's another matter. I think when they've shown us someone is dead, it should remain that way.
Maybe it'll be a flashback, a la Lost!

(Rambaldi made the airliner crash!)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 07:37:47 AM by S. Woody White »

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 07:47:33 AM »

DR MattH your ALIAS post had a lot of spoilers. Maybe you can put a warning on the top, since i know many like to be surprised.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 07:51:10 AM »

DR MattH your ALIAS post had a lot of spoilers. Maybe you can put a warning on the top, since i know many like to be surprised.

OK, I'll go back and fix.

more potential spoilers - - - - - -- - - -- - - - -

Again, all these returns of fan favorites have been public knowledge since the series ending announcement was made back in December, some have been shown in the promos for the show's return for a couple of weeks now, and there was even a publicity picture in this week's TV GUIDE with all of the people I mentioned except Vartan. But some folks here don't scour the internet and entertainment magazines like I do. One of the curses of retirement.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 07:53:27 AM by Matt H. »

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 07:53:47 AM »

I will watch TAR and American Idol "live", and tape Alias.

And again re: American Idol.  Although I didn't get to watch it perfectly (i was with my baby niece) it did seem like the judges praised most people (although simon dissed a couple the other two liked).

Re: voting. I think a lot of it has to do with the judges.  The fact that they overpraised Katharine, will IMO keep her in for sure.  The fact that Simon claimed Taylor/chris/kellie would be F3, also IMO will keep them to the end.  Simon can totally manipulate the voting (much more than the other two).

I do think that each contestant has their fan base. But not every fan will vote every week. And since I'll bet a lot of them have simliar numbers of fans, i do think anyone can go any week.  But the fact that ace has been in the bottom so often makes me think he is the most vulnerable.  ANd i think the huge praise the judges gave kellie last week, will help keep her in this week.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

Another question, for everyone: There's been some discussion elsewhere on the 'net about "The Waiter Rule."

The rule is best explained in the opening paragraphs of an article in USA Today:

Office Depot CEO Steve Odland remembers like it was yesterday working in an upscale French restaurant in Denver.
The purple sorbet in cut glass he was serving tumbled onto the expensive white gown of an obviously rich and important woman. "I watched in slow motion ruining her dress for the evening," Odland says. "I thought I would be shot on sight."

Thirty years have passed, but Odland can't get the stain out of his mind, nor the woman's kind reaction. She was startled, regained composure and, in a reassuring voice, told the teenage Odland, "It's OK. It wasn't your fault." When she left the restaurant, she also left the future Fortune 500 CEO with a life lesson: You can tell a lot about a person by the way he or she treats the waiter.

Odland isn't the only CEO to have made this discovery. Rather, it seems to be one of those rare laws of the land that every CEO learns on the way up. It's hard to get a dozen CEOs to agree about anything, but all interviewed agree with the Waiter Rule.

They acknowledge that CEOs live in a Lake Wobegon world where every dinner or lunch partner is above average in their deference. How others treat the CEO says nothing, they say. But how others treat the waiter is like a magical window into the soul.

And beware of anyone who pulls out the power card to say something like, "I could buy this place and fire you," or "I know the owner and I could have you fired." Those who say such things have revealed more about their character than about their wealth and power.

I encounter this sort of thing quite often, now that I'm one of those clerk/servants.  The good news is, rude customers are the exception, not the rule.  And I've found a corollary: people tend to expect bad service, but can be surprised and pleased when a clerk/waiter/servant is pleasant and helpful.  (Yes, when a customer asks me where she or he can find an item in the store, I will not just tell them which aisle it is in, but on which side of the aisle, how far down, and whenever possible I take them there to help them find it.  Trust me, this makes the customer feel welcome in our store.)

Does anyone else out there have stories to tell, both good and bad?

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 07:55:02 AM »

I was planning to have ravioli tonight thinking passover was over. But alas it ends tomorrow. So no pasta for me! :(

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 07:55:03 AM »

The boxed set of MGM musicals is finally being released next week, and it's about time! I noticed that Warners is releasing the newly remastered GUYS AND DOLLS separately (also comes out next week.

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 07:58:03 AM »

Did anyone see the bizarre promo for Survivor?

I don't want to know what happens (i'm sure there are spoilers out there). But it looked severe!

space in case anyone who watches wants to be surprised.

The promo shows some sort of medic emergency van and the voiceover says that one survivor might be/is forced from the game. It is not danielle since she is saying "omg i hope they are okay".

But it looks pretty serious. I hope it's not terry (since i want to see the idol played out). And i hope that nobody is forced from the game. Should be interesting tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 07:58:15 AM »

Also released next week is a box of episodes (not the complete series) from SHIRLEY TEMPLE'S STORYBOOK that we discussed here some months ago.

Very misleading box art, however. It shows Shirley as a tiny child leading folks to think these might be films from her youth. Hope they know they're buying episodes of her TV series from 1961 when she was quite grown up.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 08:02:40 AM »

Re: "American Idol":

SPOILER -- if you haven't seen it!

Last night was a breath of fresh air...as it should have been.  The past couple of weeks have been tiresome, to the extreme, with the badly chosen "theme" weeks of music from the 21st century and the Queen stuff.

I agreed with nearly everything Simon said last night with three exceptions:

1.  Elliot was superb...and was more winning than ever in his presentation.  What is Simon missing that he would chastise Elliot for displaying no personality?

2. While Katherine was, indeed, in a "league" of her own last night, it was a league below the better singers.  Katherine was "okay"...not the best rendition of that song -- and not the best song choice, IMO.  Diana DeGarmo sang it two seasons ago with much more power and style.  I think Katherine believes herself to be quite the talent.  She seems too "on" and a bit smug.  So far, I've not "fallen in love" with anything she's sung.

3.  Poor Ace.  He was far from "charming," IMO. I could barely hear him over the orchestra.  "That's All" isn't a favorite of mine, but I knew when I heard him tell Stewart his choice of song that it was because it was another song he could "coo."  Hated the hair.

Kellie was a delight, despite the snafu with getting ahead of the orchestra.  I'm not sure why she didn't take a second to settle back into the accompaniment, but it's lack of experience that's the culprit, I'm sure.

For the first part of the song, I thought she was "delightful"....almost like hearing Monroe singing a song in a film.  Simon DID get me to laugh with his comment about how she could have just left out "Bewitched" and "Bothered" and stuck with "Bewildered."

I fear for Elliot, since folks tend to listen to Simon rather than form their own opinions of what they've just heard.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 08:03:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 08:04:03 AM »

And being released next week is the beautiful short film ANDRE'S MOTHER written by Terrence McNally for PBS' AMERICAN PLAYHOUSE. Such a touching, memorable basically one act play with RIchard THomas and Sada Thompson and Sylvia Sidney. McNally won an Emmy for his writing. I can't believe the actors weren't nominated for their work. They're all stupendous.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up