Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TARDY  (Read 21480 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:TARDY
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »

For Jane: an Angie update.

ANGIE AND THE WART HOG!

We took Angie to Concord pets to find a tire-bone to wear out her teeth and save my arm. As we went in, she met a family with a three year old boy in tow; the lad had just been traumatized because a neighbor's dog had attacked him and a friend and had actually bitten the friend.

Angie went right up to him, and was shortly licking his face.His parents were so pleased that he could meet a friendly pup to help him get over his fears. Woody took Angie to hunt for the bone while I filled out the form to have a tag made for her. While Woody browsed the right side of the aisle for the bone, Angie browsed the left side of the aisle which held plush squeaky toys, and helped herself to a big black Wart Hog (at $12.99, the most expensive toy on the shelf). She pranced happily about the store with Wart Hog in tow (and was a bit anxious when we temporarily took it away to pull off the price tag).

I took Angie for a stroll around the Super G parking lot while Stephen was shopping, and she had a wonderful time greeting each and every customer - she no longer shies away from people at all and loves getting pets. When we got home, Fletcher thought that the WartHog would make good tug-of-war toy and it took some effort to keep the poor critter from being torn limb from limb.

I wish I could get a picture of Angie sneaking up behind Fletcher, latching firmly on his tail, and giving a good hard yank! (Which she does often!).

She is now 100% doggie-door trained. She is learning to adjust her behavior to the various dogs - avoid Marty, anything goes with Fletcher, play gently with Mikey, treat Bonnie and Buster with some caution (let them initiate play).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2006, 10:02:06 AM »

I wrote a weekly column under the pseudonym The Real A over on the Sondheim website.  I think I did it for three years, but when I created a certain record label, I decided to stop.   Those columns were the forerunner of this here site, and were quite popular with the populace.  That's where all the What Ifs were born.  

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2006, 10:02:21 AM »

Got an e-mail response this morning fromt the fellow who knows this person I alluded to in the notes.  He's passing my number on to said person this evening, and he's sure I'll hear from said person at that time.  I'm very excited!

Well, I'm excited too - can't wait to see who this said person may be...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »

BK - are you actually doing the workshop thing on Sunday, May 21?? I looked it up, after yesterday's reading.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2006, 10:04:59 AM »

I actually hopehopehope this is the case, as I will be in LA for only a few days, around the wedding of Tami's son on May 20...
PennyO

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2006, 10:14:30 AM »

Fans of INVASION are reminded that it returns tonight as well! I doubt it'll be picked up for another season, so I'm going to enjoy these last episodes as much as possible.

On the OLD ABC (the network that allowed ALIAS to continue to run despite tepid ratings because they had no big hits), shows like INVASION and IN JUSTICE and EYES (from last season) would have been renewed due to their inventiveness and great writing and acting. But now that ABC is a major ratings player, they want a slate full of hits and shows on the bubble don't usually get a second chance. (They're a tiny bit more forgiving of lower rated comedies than dramas.)

Since I have the night off, I may have to watch Alias.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:16:41 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2006, 10:19:24 AM »

My Roland keyboard has been non-functional for WAY too many weeks - I finally took it "in" last week, and got a call yesterday that i can pick it up today!!! I will be so happy to have it back! I have no piano in the loft here at Playa Vista, and I miss playing a little of this or that each morning.

Just by-the-way - for all his self-effacing modesty about his piano skills, BK plays really well. We're not talking Rachmaninoff - he doesn't play Chopin, not Debussy... but his accompaniments to real musical theater music are right up there. And by ear - like my Grandma used to play - a magic trick for those of us who are enslaved to the sheet music.

Penny, those who can play by ear are truly gifted. I have a good friend who plays a timbre flute in the Irish tradition by ear. She is quite good and even got to play the Chieftains once.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2006, 10:27:07 AM »

That is wonderful about Angie SWW...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2006, 10:29:12 AM »

Yesterday some note was taken of spelling problems caused by mispronunciation.

The other day I was helping Alex (the third-grader GrandLad with his book report - a biography of Neil Armstrong.

In his report he used the word "extrordinary".

We pulled out the dictionary and I showed him: extraordinary - I spoke it two pieces (extra and ordinary) and explained that when we put two word parts together, and the first part ends in a vowel and the next part starts with a vowel, we often combine the two vowel sounds. I think he got it (at least he corrected his spelling). He was also using "witch" when he meant "which". I took a piece of scrap paper and drew a stick figure with a witch's hat and wrote "WITCH"; then I said, I think you mean "WHICH".
To which he replied, "Oh, they're homophones!"

I asked him if he was learning cursive yet. He responded that they has just started and he knew "i", "t" and "o".  I commented that there wasn't much he could spell with that.

A moment of contemplative silence was followed with, "I could spell TITTI." I hope he does not share this new found knowledge with his class.

der Brucer

PS Don't get me started on the fact that we "pronounce" and we "mispronounce", except when we do it, it's "mispronunciation" - all this bother just because words with solid Latin roots enter English either directly (thank-you Caesar) or indirectly, via French (thank you William of Orange) - and we all know about French spelling!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2006, 10:36:52 AM »

Ya know, Senile is not just a river in...in...in...oh, dagnabbit!  It's a river somewhere!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »

I'd also forgotten to close yesterday's topic, which I've now done.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:13 AM »

I'd also forgotten to close yesterday's topic, which I've now done.

And THAT explains why yesterday's topic is at the top of the list and today's is second.

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:36 AM »

There we go.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:56 AM »

Blame George, who was posting in the old topic as I was trying to lock it, thereby confusing me no end.  It's all right now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2006, 11:00:32 AM »

I just looked at the first listing and thought....Holy Crow!  Vixmom must have gone through a whole roll of toilet paper with jokes for so many posts to have been done since the last time I logged on this morning!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2006, 11:00:37 AM »

I have a good friend who plays a timbre flute in the Irish tradition by ear. She is quite good and even got to play the Chieftains once.

She took a flute into a football game against Kansas City ::)

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2006, 11:00:42 AM »

After all that ado, I need a candy bar to settle my nerves.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2006, 11:01:26 AM »

Blame George, who was posting in the old topic as I was trying to lock it, thereby confusing me no end.  It's all right now.

Way to go, George!  One of the anomalies of the Haines His Way forum will go down in archival history attributable to you!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2006, 11:04:22 AM »

Speaking of the word for the day - SENILE - last night I replied to an e-mail from one of the DRs on this site and got a note back, saying - "My! All this time I thought you spelled your name with two N's..."
I went back and checked my e-mail - and discovered I'd spelled my own name wrong!

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2006, 11:05:48 AM »

Maybe y'all keep passing stuff around... what about those white masks for everyone? Just to see if it would work?

LOL, actually after the scares about stuff in mail, they got us full body suits to open suspicious mail in.  We also have masks and really heavy duty rubber gloves. Maybe when I go back I should put on the whole outifit

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2006, 11:07:08 AM »

Anyhow, my answer for all sore throat, upper respiratory, coughing, colds-type illness is CHICKEN SOUP!!!

And if you have a sprain, CHICKEN SOUP!

Arthritis? yep...

I went into the office to pick up a file to work on today. On the way home I got everything I need to make home made chicken noodle soup. My fav

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2006, 11:08:23 AM »

I have a "blue tooth" wireless earpiece that I use when I am in the car and my phone "voice dials" so I can say someone's name into my bluetooth and the phone dials itself so I have the hands free thing going.

However, I don't undersatand why  speakinginto a handheld phone is considered any more dangerous than holding a conversation with the passengers in your car while you are driving and holding and drinking steaming hot cup of coffee or smoking a cigarette or cigar  or eating a breakfast sandwich, burger etc all of which I see every day on my 60 mile round trip commute on the road to hell.

SOOOO......that was YOU I was behind in traffic this morning?

DON'T DENY IT!  I knew that woman was talking on a cell phone.  The car was blue...but you were on I-580 in Oakland, not on the L.I.E.!!!

How the heck else would you describe all the cars and pedestrians skittering and scudding out of the way, almost crashing or being hit, trying to avoid you?

LADY!  If ya wanna tawk on da phone, park somewhere and tawk.

If ya wanna drive...JUST drive!

:D  :D  :D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:09:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2006, 11:11:34 AM »

...I'm one of those clerk/servants...

Those of us who appreciate you, think of you as a "clerk/savant".

der Brucer (offering an admitedly biased opinion).

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2006, 11:13:47 AM »

der Brucer

When I was in the KU Marching band, I really did play the piccolo at a Kansas City Chiefs game!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »

der Brucer

LOL Der Brucer..... She played with the esteemed Irish musicians...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2006, 11:18:40 AM »

Re: something DR CP said about not understanding how anyone can say they love their kids/pets/friends more than themselves.

I disagree re: kids. I don't think it means that you don't love yourself (just because you love them more). But I can certainly 100% see how many parents would say this. And I think it's completely right.

We anglophones have trouble with "love" - it has too many meanings - we need more words like the Greeks have (seven, I think).

We don't "love" ourselves in the same way we love pets or our children.

One test of whether or not we love something more than we love ourselves would be to ask "would you give up your life to save the other?".

Rarely would one consciously surrender one's own life for that of a pet, but many parents would do so for a child. In that case, I would say that the parent loves the child more than herself.

(I concede that many would risk their lives to save a pet.)

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »

Way to go, George!  One of the anomalies of the Haines His Way forum will go down in archival history attributable to you!

Ron, it is Karma!!! I tell you it is Karma!!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2006, 11:22:01 AM »

When I was in the KU Marching band, I really did play the piccolo at a Kansas City Chiefs game!

Bet that was a fun experience. I used to play the flute but not the piccolo. I admire those who have the lungs to play it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2006, 11:25:03 AM »

Question for one and all:

What musical instruments do you like to hear performed or even play?

Me, I am a sucker for the swirling sounds of the Highland and Uillean pipes!!

I used to play the flute but play a bit on the tin whistle and bodhran.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2006, 11:26:10 AM »

Interesting, I wasn't that fond of Carissa and Nathan, but I was never sure why

I'll hazzard a guess:

You are reacting to the candidates as "entertainers". Woody is more focused on the demonstrated culinary knowledge/skills.

der Brucer

PS Guy's inability to dentify the kind of pear he was serving should be a major demerit!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up