Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: EXCELSIOR!  (Read 18740 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:EXCELSIOR!
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2005, 09:16:37 PM »

Strangely enough, it just occurred to me, that I own a tuxedo, but no suit.  I do have a few pairs of slacks and a few sport coats, but no suit.  That is odd.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2005, 09:19:55 PM »

KLEPTOMANIAC, baby, KLEPTOMANIAC!

I've started a DVD - I'd been watching John Wayne in McQ, but I had to take a break from it.

McQ?  Is that the one set in Seattle?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2005, 09:29:41 PM »

Oh....

My only "day jobs" have consisted of the following:

-A one month job as a temp.  Data entry.  I had to "dress up" since the boss wanted everyone to look their best.  Even though none of us had any contact with the public throughout the day.  Even though there were no windows in our office.  Etc., etc., etc...

-My father set me up with a job once.  He was working for Mrs. Dole at the time...  So...  I show up one morning at this address not too far from the Library of Congress.  It turns out to be one of the telemarketing/fundraising offices of the Republican National Convention.  I went on my first break after the "meet and greet" and never came back.  -In fact, I ended up heading over to the LoC, and pulling scores and playing in the practice rooms until the end of my "work day".

The next morning, I headed over to Foxes Music - where I had been a loyal customer for years - and asked if they were hiring.  They were.  And I started that day.  It was a great job.  I worked in the sheet music division.  I had shopped there so much, that the buyer would let me behind the counter to look up my own special orders - I was doing a LOT of accompanying and recital work.  So, when I started working there, I already knew the routine.

My boss also let me come and go depending on my gigs.

When I moved back to Richmond seven years ago, I happened to stop into the music store there.  There was  sign looking for someone to take over their Sheet Music room.  The current clerk was getting to retire.  Well... I started that day too.  I was there for about nine months.  I doubled the inventory.  Increased the customers - in fact, I was 'stealing' some of my regulars from Foxes who happened to live in Richmond and would do mail order.  And by Christmas that year, the sheet music room had their best December in years.  In fact, I doubled the revenue from the sheet music division alone in just those nine months!

*And as "luck" would have it, the owner of the place did not believe in end of year bonuses - or bonuses of any sort.  However, the local manager appreciated my work, and actually gave me $50 out of his own pocket!

But then I got the call to join the team for Eleanor: An American Love Story.  The show would workshop down at Duke University for a six weeks, then move up to Ford's Theatre.

I had been doing some "legit" theatre work before then.  Sometimes with a day job.  Sometimes not.  But ever since Eleanor, which was back in 1999, I've been a full-time, freelance musician.

-And that's also part of why turning 30 was such an amazing time for me!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 09:31:19 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2005, 09:39:33 PM »

I have now watched all 4 episodes of SKY KING on the DVD I bought...this show will never be known as one of my favorites, I am afraid...Gloria Winters, as Penny, is THE most annoying actress I have ever, ever, EVER, seen! LOL!

Oh, well, I am giving the DVD to a co-worker who loved this show when she was a kid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2005, 10:13:36 PM »

Yes, McQ is set in Seattle.  Brannigan is set in London.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2005, 10:18:22 PM »

(Not too bad, for post 5000.)

Congratulations, Woody!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2005, 10:31:37 PM »

I've been back from the dance recital ushering for quite a while now.  I didn't watch any of the dance recital.  It only lasted 40 minutes.  It was actually the fourth set of the day.  They started at noon and had a different group of kids every two hours.  I only had to hand out programs and answer questions such as "Where's the bathroom?" and "Where's the elevator?"

I ate dinner afterwards at The Urban Onion.  I don't know if it actually used to be called this, but it has a mural inside the restaurant that shows "The Herb & Onion."  Cute, huh? ;D Anyway, I had a very good burger.  They don't have fries, but they have what I think are the best hash browns in town.  I get them with cheese melted on top.  Quite delish!

I came home after dinner, watched a bit of TV and was going to make some fudge for tomorrow's Relay For Life bi-weekly bakesale, but I've had a headache all evening and I'm getting tired of it.  So, I'm going to take some pain releaver (acetominaphin-sp??) and go to bed.  My laundry is done so I will have some clean clothes to wear.

I'm sorry to be a Wussburger, but I need to go to bed.  Goodnight, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2005, 10:48:30 PM »

I've been back from the dance recital ushering for quite a while now.  I didn't watch any of the dance recital.  It only lasted 40 minutes.  It was actually the fourth set of the day.  They started at noon and had a different group of kids every two hours.  I only had to hand out programs and answer questions such as "Where's the bathroom?" and "Where's the elevator?"

I ate dinner afterwards at The Urban Onion.  I don't know if it actually used to be called this, but it has a mural inside the restaurant that shows "The Herb & Onion."  Cute, huh? ;D Anyway, I had a very good burger.  They don't have fries, but they have what I think are the best hash browns in town.  I get them with cheese melted on top.  Quite delish!

I love the burgers at The Urban Onion!
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2005, 11:05:50 PM »

Well, the local ABC station had a blip on the car diving off the cliff around the corner, the newscaster said, "the paramedics rescued her", then showed a clip of the victim on a stretcher and...friends, it didn't look like a "she" to either The Lovely Wife or me.  It looked like Brock Peters!  I'd recognize those nostrils anywhere.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2005, 11:41:54 PM »

BK, where did you work with Brock Peters and what did you record him doing.  I do hope he is not seriously injured.  I always thought he was a fine actor.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2005, 11:57:38 PM »

I recorded one of those STAGE benefits - he was one of the performers.  He unfortunately went up on his lyrics during the performance, but the way in which we record, we were able to have him come into the studio to fix the problem.  I believe it was on the Lerner, Loewe, Lane and Friends album.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up