Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS  (Read 25316 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2006, 01:19:03 PM »

Re: the closerBut was this season two finale new for you? Or had you already seen it?

It was new for us, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2006, 01:19:49 PM »

Montesano WA (West of Olympia)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »

AS some of you know I am a Matt fan... He just finished filming a movie in North Carolina and he is producing it. It is called The Unlikely's.

http://www.theunlikelys.com
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »

Page Four LILO & STITCH Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2006, 01:26:52 PM »

I had plenty of time to watch things this afternoon , but, alas, weariness overcame me and I napped for awhile.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

I did manage to see a few things. I began with a BONES episode, one of the best of the first season, filled with heart, morality, and conscience. It had to do with the team probing into the death of an Army hero killed in Iraq. Booth's confession to Temperance at the end had me completely in tears.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2006, 01:29:25 PM »

So did the season one finale episode where Temperance begins finding out things about her family she might have wished she'd never known. A beautiful and powerful way to end the first season.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2006, 01:29:42 PM »

Still on pins and needles--the vet and I spoke about 15 minutes ago and he was just starting the "decompression" (pumping the stomach).  Oy.

Should the issue come up:

The Spokesman
If you have one of the breeds most at risk or have any deep-chested breed, you should talk with your veterinarian about what kind of food to feed, divide meals into 2 or 3 meals a day, and perhaps even take more drastic steps like a preventive gastropexy where the stomach is surgically secured to the body wall to prevent rotation.

Glickman and others also found that if a dog bloats and does not have a gastropexy, the chance of it bloating again and possibly dying is nearly 100 percent within the next year. However if they have a gastropexy as soon as possible after bloating, the chance of the dog bloating again is small, less than 5 percent.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2006, 01:31:19 PM »

I watched all of the special features n the disc which had to do with the "squints" in the lab, the enormous vocabulary of medical and anthropological terms the actors must master to play their parts compellingly, and how the series was born. Fun to know this background information, but none of it was earthshaking.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2006, 01:31:56 PM »

I had plenty of time to watch things this afternoon , but, alas, weariness overcame me and I napped for awhile.

A common ailment those of us over 30 share! :)

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2006, 01:32:51 PM »

I finished the afternoon (before my nap) with another True-Life Adventure: WHITE WILDERNESS. As with the first set I watched, the feature has been remastered and spruced up so that it looks almost brand new.

How I'm going to enjoy revisiting these in the future now that they look so beautiful!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »

BeeGee made it through this first procedure really well!!  It looks like we won't need surgery, at least in the short term.  It's a very peculiar syndrome that our vet says is quite common in emergency rooms (since it seems to always happen overnight), but which nobody has ever been able to provide a definitive "why" for.  He pumped over 2 gallons of liquid out of BeeGee's stomach!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2006, 01:38:18 PM »

Good afternoon dear Esteemed, suave, productive, and Christmas-aware BK --

and also, a big Happy Hannukah to the Gelfinbaums !

I'm sending all good thoughts and vibes for a perky box-office fir the "Brain" this weekend.  I, like MB, really wish I could see it again.  I really loved it, and I still have some of the music stuck in my head.

JMK

« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2006, 01:38:49 PM »

DerBrucer:  you're absolutely right, our vet wants to do the stomach stapling ASAP after BeeGee is well.  Betsy just finished reading Marley and Me, and of course that's what Marley died from.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MusicGuy

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2006, 01:39:39 PM »

I'm also sending all good thoughts and prayers to everyone up in the pacific northwest.......these awful storms have to let up, and let things get back to normal!

"Ah Haz Spoken !!"

MusicGuy

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2006, 01:40:37 PM »

DR JMK -- I'm really glad to hear that BeeGee has come along for now, and appears out of danger!

L'Chaim !

MusicGuy

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2006, 01:41:52 PM »

And, as for the TOD:

CD - Caroline or Change (OC)

DVD - Transamerica, and a Monk episode

VHS - nada, nothing, zip, bupkis, zilch.....

JMK

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2006, 01:42:17 PM »

Thanks for the vibes!  As those HHW-ers who have met BeeGee can attest, he is one super-sweet animal and it would devastate us to lose him after only 2 short years.

MusicGuy

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2006, 01:44:48 PM »

Oh.... and to DR Edi -- thanks so much for your nice compliment yesterday evening about seeing my picture.  I can use, and accept, all compliments at the moment!!

JMK

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2006, 01:47:05 PM »

DerBrucer:  thanks for the article link.  BeeGee is not quite as big as some of the breeds mentioned (thoough he's plenty big), but he does have one "high risk" factor mentioned:  he literally inhales his food.  It is gone in a nanosecond.  We already feed him twice a day, but I'm thinking maybe we'll reduce his portions and split it up into three times a day, a la Blanche and her puppy food.  The vet is putting him on a bland Science Diet food for the next 10 days, plus Pepcid (I kid you not).

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2006, 01:53:41 PM »

Glad to hear BeeGee is doing better.. Continued vibes~~~
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Danise

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2006, 02:00:20 PM »

Healing vibes to Dear Dog BeeGee!

I read about the storm the NorthWest had.  100 MPH winds--are you sure it wasn't a hurricane?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »

What a day at work!  Busy, Busy, Busy!  At least it's Friday.  It's payday and I got my market equity raise.  Next pay check I get my performance eval raise.  Woo Hoo!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2006, 02:10:47 PM »

BeeGee is most adorable!

Danise

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2006, 02:13:21 PM »

Happy Birthday, Karen L.  Whoever you are.  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »

100 MPH winds--are you sure it wasn't a hurricane?

No - hurricanes are tropical storms that have cyclonic rotation.

The Pacific Noethwest can be hit with Severe Storms with winds gusting in excess of 100mph.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »

Thanks for the vibes!  As those HHW-ers who have met BeeGee can attest, he is one super-sweet animal and it would devastate us to lose him after only 2 short years.

Does he still ring the doorbell to be let back in?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2006, 02:21:38 PM »

Christmas Humor form our National Log Cabin Republicans:

Three men died on Christmas Eve and were met by Saint Peter at the pearly gates.  “In honor of this holy season,” Saint Peter said, “You must each possess something that symbolizes Christmas to get into heaven.”  The first man fumbled through his pockets and pulled out a lighter.  He flicked it on.  “It represents a candle,” he said.  “You may pass through the pearly gates,” Saint Peter said.  The second man reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys.  He shook them and said, “They're bells.”  Saint Peter said “You may pass through the pearly gates.”  The third man started searching desperately through his pockets and finally pulled out a pair of women's panties.  St. Peter looked at the man with a raised eyebrow and asked, “And just what do those symbolize?”  The man replied, “These are Carols.”  And So The Holiday Season Begins....

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2006, 02:25:31 PM »

I've not had time to catch up, as BK is wont to say.

Yes, he is wont to say that, as well as many other things.

I had a singularly UNpleasant flight to South Carolina, courtesy of whatever the pissant shuttle service is that Delta flies out of Cincinnati to Columbia SC.

The Delta flight from SFO to Cincy was fine, save one fellow who coughed and hacked deep congestion-laced coughs throughout the 4-hour red-eye flight, keeping various and sundry awake.

He not only kept me awake (and I am now sun dry, I can assure you -- it's very sunny here...and warm) but I was appalled and aghast that he seldom bothered to cover his mouth.

I was certain I would come down with the plague or something similar, but I'm feeling quite good today.

Of all things, FOG kept my flight out of Cincy from departing in a timely manner.  Fog in South Carolina was pea-soup-thick, and my flight into SC was an hour later than it should have been.

Many things happened the rest of yesterday -- I napped, my mother washed some of my shirts that had not survived unwrinkled and wouldn't iron properly.  Said shirts managed to get caught UNDER the agitator.  Two have been extracted without much ado, but the third remains firmly "caught on" something.  Sigh.

Went to a dinner that was buffet and all you could eat.  When I got through the line, the cranberry sauce was gone and there was no more.  All you can eat, though.

When I was about halfway through my meal, all the food on the buffet was removed, whether I had eaten all that I wanted or no.  At $18 a plate, I felt a bit miffed that the person who advertised all you can eat had decided I'd had all I was going to eat.

My mother, an uncle and I then spent another hour or so trying to extract shirts from under the agitator (to no avail).

My sleep was deep.  When I was awakened at 8 .m. (5 a.m., PST), I knew the day would be a tiring one.

My mother, an aunt and I set out at 9 a.m. for a day trip to visit an elderly cousin, take her to lunch (WONderful lunch, by the way, and I got some cranberry sauce, to boot).  We took flowers to the graves of my maternal grandparents and great grandparents.  We visited with my cousin some more. Then we came home.

Sigh.  

And here I sit, recounting my first 24-plus hours of my two-week visit to the east coast.  

Hot on the heels of these things are two opportunities -- one is for a visitation tonight at a funeral home, and another is for a funeral tomorrow afternoon.  I neither know nor have I met the deceased and only "somewhat" know the daughter of the deceased...who was once married to one of my cousins on my mother's side.  But since their daughter is one of my favorite first cousins (once removed), and the deceased is that cousin's grandfather, I may yet acquiesce and go to one, if not both, these functions.

One thing I know for sure:  My mother is never idle or bored or bereft of something to do.

There is a glimmer of a few hours coming in the next few days when I can somewhat catch up when my mother's bridge club has a special gathering that I have no intention of being roped into attending.

Sigh,  Sigh.

I was gratified to see that a widescreen version of "All Fall Down" was airing on TCM this afternoon, but I was terribly sad that I had missed more than half of it.  When will it ever be on DVD...I ask myself.

Ciaoders...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2006, 02:26:18 PM »

Library's closing!

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up