Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS  (Read 25083 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2006, 10:50:16 AM »

SWW, I prefer Tom Baker and Peter Davison as the Doctor. HOwever I do like the new series.

I have not seen Devil Wears Prada yet.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »

I see we have sled right on to page 3!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2006, 11:00:53 AM »

My sister Molly in Seattle called early this morning to say they had NO power.  Bad storms....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2006, 11:14:42 AM »

bbl
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2006, 11:17:50 AM »

The daily TWISTED KNICKERS report:
CBS, Charlie Sheen bash Christ, Christmas and Christians

Charlie Sheen makes Joy to the World into a cheap sex song

CBS and actor Charlie Sheen have used the Christmas season to ridicule and mock Christ, Christmas and Christians. CBS approved actor Charlie Sheen’s vulgar adaptation of a favorite Christian Christmas carol. On the December 11 program, the network included in their Two and a Half Men an episode featuring Sheen singing about his sexual activity to the tune of the traditional Christmas hymn "Joy to the World."

CBS and Sheen knew that the lyrics would greatly offend Christians, but did not hesitate to air them. Click here to see the episode on CBS.

The episode opens with series star Charlie (Sheen) singing:
“Joy to the world, I’m getting laid; I’m getting laid tonight. We’ll light the yule log, deck the halls, and then we’ll play some jingle balls. It’s been a real long wait – this is our second date! It’s Christmas Eve and I’m getting laid.”His housekeeper/cook comes in and asks:

“Hey, I’m mixing up the egg nog. You want this broad lit up or just slightly glowing?” “Well,” Charlie says, “let’s see, we’re celebrating peace on earth and good will towards all mankind, so let’s get ‘er plowed!” “Hallelujah!” says the cook.

Charlie returns to singing, “Glo-oh-oh-oh-oh-ria, tonight I’m boinking Gloria!” CBS punctuates every single line with a laugh track.

The entire episode was a real hoot.

Kind of the AFA to post a hot-link on their web site so all the Pious People could go hear for themselves.

Odd they get so incensed at the parody lyrics, but make no objection to scenes showing a tweener getting plowed on booze?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2006, 11:19:37 AM »

Watched the DaVinci Code last night.  I enjoyed the book.  I've always thought the history interesting..., not the whole thing of did Christ marry and have heirs, but basically that the Christian religion is a makeshift religion where the varying factions of the religion held a convention where they decided what gospels would go in and what gospels wouldn't, the cherry-picking various pagan rituals and festivals and turning them into Christian holidays, the plucking of various religious myths and deities and ascribing them to Christ,  the subverting of the Goddess into Mary, mother of Jesus.

For all that, the movie should have been more interesting, but it just sort of lays there...too much story to tell in too short of time.  It almost all exposition.  The extras...the few I watched...were deadly dull and utterly superfulous...mostly the film-makers patting themselves on the back, which is what so many of the DVDs extras are these days.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:35:19 AM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2006, 11:21:43 AM »

I listened to a god-awful Brook Benton Christmas DVD the other day.  There are no recognizable standards on the album and the songs that are there are a mediocre bunch.  As much as I love Brook Benton, this will not be an album I'll be listening to again.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:34:08 AM by Charles Pogue »

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »

I have a Brook Benton Christmas CD...but I have not recollection of it...perhaps your description explains why.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2006, 11:36:29 AM »

Pogue, as you know, I'm in complete agreement about The DaVinci Code.  When I wrote about it I said it was the only film I could remember that was entirely made up of nothing but exposition.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2006, 12:07:55 PM »

We have had a very rough last 24 hours, what with the storm and all.  Internet service is very spotty.

We are very concerned and could use your vibes as BeeGee awoke this morning very seriously ill.  He is in emergency care right now having his stomach pumped and he may need surgery later today.  He has a very rare bloating problem that the vet says usually only strikes extremely large breeds--it always comes on without warning, usually in the middle of the night, and they don't really know what causes it.  I am waiting by the phone to hear what happens.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2006, 12:11:02 PM »

Poor Beegee...many vibes to him!!

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2006, 12:12:15 PM »

BK, you have not let me know how to get back on board with whatever it was that I was off board with yesterday! I don't want to miss out on anything.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2006, 12:16:36 PM »

DR JMK - vibes for BeeGee!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »

Vibes to BeeGee!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2006, 12:25:09 PM »

Watched the DaVinci Code last night.  I enjoyed the book.  I've always thought the history interesting..., not the whole thing of did Christ marry and have heirs, but basically that the Christian religion is a makeshift religion where the varying factions of the religion held a convention where they decided what gospels would go in and what gospels wouldn't, the cherry-picking various pagan rituals and festivals and turning them into Christian holidays, the plucking of various religious myths and deities and ascribing them to Christ,  the subverting of the Goddess into Mary, mother of Jesus.

I. too, enjoyed the book.  What I found amazing was that the movie was so literal to the book for the first two hours - but not so entertaining except when Sir Ian showed up - and then they altered the ending!  If they were going to do that, why not veer more from the book, cut the length and have some fun with it?  Was there any attraction between Hanks and Tautou?  Not where I was sitting.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2006, 12:26:21 PM »

BK, you have not let me know how to get back on board with whatever it was that I was off board with yesterday! I don't want to miss out on anything.

!!!! TOO LATE !!!!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2006, 12:28:23 PM »

...Was there any attraction between Hanks and Tautou?  Not where I was sitting.

I knew something was missing!  Actually, Tom Hanks was never how I had that character pictured anyway.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2006, 12:37:39 PM »

I have not heard many flattering things about the movie and I have been hesitant to watch it. I did like the book.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2006, 12:37:58 PM »

Vibes to BeeGee~~~~~

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2006, 12:39:21 PM »

I knew something was missing!  Actually, Tom Hanks was never how I had that character pictured anyway.

ITA Ginny!

I can not see Tom Hanks as Langdon. He just did not fit the character I had pictured in my mind.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2006, 12:41:55 PM »

At one time there was a project to bring Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider series to the screen. That idea scares me in the aspect that I fear they will not the nuances correct as she written them in the book. I also fear that the characters would not be portrayed correctly and they would minimize the stars of the books: The Dragons and flitts!!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2006, 12:45:19 PM »

I have a question for the Ebay fans...

I bought an item from a person who stated she would mail the package priority mail. She stated that it would be mailed on Tuesday, if my math is correct I should have had the package today at the latest. Is taht correct?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:46:30 PM by DakotaCelt »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2006, 01:02:57 PM »

I have a question for the Ebay fans...

I bought an item from a person who stated she would mail the package priority mail. She stated that it would be mailed on Tuesday, if my math is correct I should have had the package today at the latest. Is taht correct?

The Post Office claims that priority mail will arrive in 2-3 days, but it's apparently not very reliable. I mailed BK's birthday present a week ago  Wed, to arrive on his birthday last Fri. It didn't arrive until Mon morning. I was not pleased, esp since I'd told BK it would arrive on Fri. Hopefully, the present's originality and charm made up for the delayed arrival. :)

Ginny

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2006, 01:08:34 PM »

The Post Office claims that priority mail will arrive in 2-3 days, but it's apparently not very reliable. I mailed BK's birthday present a week ago  Wed, to arrive on his birthday last Fri. It didn't arrive until Mon morning. I was not pleased, esp since I'd told BK it would arrive on Fri. Hopefully, the present's originality and charm made up for the delayed arrival. :)

Well, DR Jeanne, at least with the abundance of December birthdays here at HHW you can be pretty sure a gift will arrive on someone's birthday  ;)  Yours to BK reached him on mine.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:08:55 PM by Ginny »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »

I would have been better off with first clas mail...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2006, 01:12:34 PM »

I have not heard many flattering things about the movie and I have been hesitant to watch it. I did like the book.

The Movie is best when viewed on a large screen with a theatre filled with people - just relax, don't ponder too much, and enjoy.

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2006, 01:12:36 PM »

Mine is at the end of the month, I think I am the last December birthday but I could be wrong...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2006, 01:12:50 PM »

Still on pins and needles--the vet and I spoke about 15 minutes ago and he was just starting the "decompression" (pumping the stomach).  Oy.

Re:  DaVinci Code/early Christian history:  Pogue and any others interested, I've mentioned this book before, but I highly recommend The Jesus Dynasty, which will give you tons of fascinating facts about how Paul and his followers hijacked Jesus' original movement.  And re:  the movie, (SPOILER ALERT), it's been a while since I read the book, but the only real difference in the ending I noticed is that they didn't identify the boy as Sophie's brother.  The claustrophobia thing was new (IIRC) in the body of the film.  What else was different?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 01:14:11 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »

We are very concerned and could use your vibes as BeeGee awoke this morning very seriously ill.  

Ouch! Doggie get well vibes from our tribe to BeeGee.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2006, 01:16:48 PM »

More visuals from Tacoma WA

der Bruce
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up