Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ESPECIALLY TIRED NOTES  (Read 14821 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE ESPECIALLY TIRED NOTES
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »

I have been shlepping boxes to the new house for days and am very, very sore.  This morning there was snow at the new place, which is at least a couple hundred feet higher than our current home.  Also as I was leaving a rather large coyote ran behind my car and then just stood in my front yard staring at me, as if to say, "Who are you?"  ;)

In the worrying about stupid things department, I had been a little bummed out to discover that the huge Panasonic flatscreen that is mounted on the beautiful river rock fireplace in the family room only had one HDMI input, so I had momentarily decided we'd just have DirecTV there and SD-DVD with components.  Then suddenly it dawned on me that there were probably HDMI switchers just as there are component switchers, and I found many cheap ones on Amazon and have ordered one, so we'll have Blu-ray and DirecTV on that TV.  We have so many friggin' tv's now with this new house, it's ridiculous.  Methinks we'll be having a garage sale.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2010, 08:39:20 PM »

Morris Albert had no other hits because he lost a gigantic plagiarism case on "Feelings," which he also "wrote."  It put the kibosh on his career.
"Feelings"? Or "Stealings"?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »

I did manage to get everything from my "music closet" over to the new house, and that was a huge shlep.  That includes not just my piano-vocal scores, but tons of orchestral stuff (some in "big" conductor's scores) that I've amassed through the years.  I have too damn much junk.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:05 PM »

I was on a panel of three with Peter Mintun and David Kenney, who has a radio show "Everything Old Is New Again" on WBAI and WBAI online. He loves my work and raved about BK's albums when we were talking before the show. I thought our moderator talked way too much and didn't follow through with all of us after asking a question. After the show I suppose we talked to a group of around 25-30 people, and I had a good time. I descrbed YANK! as a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical play influenced by Noel Coward's BITTERSWEET and written by Frank Loesser and filtered through a post-Sondheim sensibility. I don't hear any Kern or Rodgers in the score, but I do hear Loesser, as well as Hoagy Carmichael, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer and Jule Styne.
Yeah, but did you like the score?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »

We have coyotes in our current neighborhood, too, but they are rather shy and will run away as soon as you make eye contact with them.  The one this morning at the new place was rather brazen.  I rolled down the car window and made a "shoo" sound and it just looked at me, totally nonplussed.  I guess that means there aren't very many cats or small dogs in this neighborhood.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »

Elmore, I reviewed a wonderful opera Blu-ray today that you should check out:  Cavalli's Ercole Amante.  I wasn't that familiar with it, but boy was it stupendously silly and enjoyable in this Netherlands production.  Hilarious costumes and sets.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:21 PM »

I was on a panel of three with Peter Mintun and David Kenney, who has a radio show "Everything Old Is New Again" on WBAI and WBAI online. He loves my work and raved about BK's albums when we were talking before the show. I thought our moderator talked way too much and didn't follow through with all of us after asking a question. After the show I suppose we talked to a group of around 25-30 people, and I had a good time. I descrbed YANK! as a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical play influenced by Noel Coward's BITTERSWEET and written by Frank Loesser and filtered through a post-Sondheim sensibility. I don't hear any Kern or Rodgers in the score, but I do hear Loesser, as well as Hoagy Carmichael, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer and Jule Styne.
Yeah, but did you like the score?

Yes, very much. They were asking hpw 1940s the score was and how the show compared to OVER HERE!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »

Elmore, I reviewed a wonderful opera Blu-ray today that you should check out:  Cavalli's Ercole Amante.  I wasn't that familiar with it, but boy was it stupendously silly and enjoyable in this Netherlands production.  Hilarious costumes and sets.

With Luca Pisaroni in that inflated costume!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »

%#&*!!! 

Using language like that should render you morally unfit for jury duty!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:48 PM »

I have a medical excuse, not for any of the above reasons.

It must be nice to have an accommodating psychiatrist.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »

I have too damn much junk.

Oh, stop with the bragging!

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2010, 09:53:01 PM »

Good Evening!

I love New York in March. How about you?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »

DR Ginny - I hope you had a good night's sleep, and I hope you have a good day in court, so to speak. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »

DR PennyO -
I just got a box o' books from Chicken Soup for the Soul - "Thanks, Mom" is hitting the bookstores on March 23, for Mothers' Day sales... and I have a story in there!!! Got a couple of author events in Idaho next week, and one the actual week of Mothers' Day, up in La Canada - pronounced Lah Can-yah-dah - near LA...

Congrats!

AND!!! just got a commission for the book of a (vanity) musical. Guy wants it written around his specific philosophy, with excerpts from his actual life... hey, I can do that!!! He'll pay me half in advance, this week. If the check clears, scribble scribble scribble!!!

What else? Oh, the weather outside's delightful!! And there are hummingbirds in the little garden I made on my friend's balcony. Life is FINE!!!

And Congrats again!!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »

Well, the car is at the shop and I'm at work.  Pray for an inexpensive Rosemary's Baby!

DR GEORGE - ~~~~~NON-STICKER SHOCK REPAIR BILL VIBES TO YOU AND YOUR CAR~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »

I did something very painful this morning.  I really don't know how i did this. But when i went to get something out of the cupboard i smashed the door right into my nose.  My nose was immediately in terrible pain and my head hurt.  I knew i didn't break it but i almost felt light headed. It really hurt.

I put an ice pack on it. And took two motrin.  I now have a big scrape on my nose and it still feels very tender. Ouch! :(

DR Jennifer - ~~~~~NON-OUCHY VIBES TO YOU~~~~~

*And, seriously, if you're still feeling dizzy in the morning, go to an ER.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2010, 10:05:26 PM »

DR DER BRUCER - Congratulations on your New and Improved Numbers!

*Has DR SWW switched to the lite mayo too?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »

woooooooooo wooooooooooo wooooooooooooo feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel-ings....................

And now I will sing

You light up my.....liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-ife!

Can I request "One Tin Soldier" next?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2010, 10:11:32 PM »

And then I watched LOST which was, for me, the best episode thus far this season. I loved it.

It was a good episode.  But where are the answers the keep promising us?!?!?!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »

I have been shlepping boxes to the new house for days and am very, very sore.

DR JMK - Your new manse doesn't come with a live-in masseur/se?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15:16 PM »

In other news...

It was another gorgeous day here in New York City, so after I completed my errands earlier this afternoon, I decided to walk around for a bit...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »

My first stop was The High Line, but since I hadn't had lunch yet, I decided to stop into Myers of Keswick to pick up a pork pie and ginger beer to eat "up there".

As I turned down lower 9th Avenue, I thought I recognized someone sitting at one of the sidewalk café tables.  Lo and behold, I did recognize him...

-Hello, Mr. Panaro!
"Hello, Jojo!"

:)

I think that was the first time I had seen Hugh since the closing performance of Lestat. (Or maybe the second time - ??) We didn't chat long - he was having lunch with his partner and some friends -  but we did exchange a hug, a kiss and some well-wishes.  It was really great seeing him again.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »

And then after picking up a sausage roll and a ginger beer, I headed over and up to The High Line. Again, it was a gorgeous afternoon, and the views of, on and from The High Line were just stunning and smile-inducing.  And the little picnic tables set up in the middle of The High Line - right above Chelsea Market - were the perfect setting to enjoy my English provisions. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »

This afternoon I offically jumped on the Bundle Bandwagon.  I got rid of Ma Bell (well, Qwest) and now have internet, cable, and phone service from Comcast for $89.00 a month.

If the performance is as hot as the installer, I should be quite pleased.

Tom, is that an introductory price or the price for good??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »

I don't think he's tried it yet - he's not a big sandwich fan like I am, so he doesn't use much mayo.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2010, 10:50:01 PM »

I don't think he's tried it yet - he's not a big sandwich fan like I am, so he doesn't use much mayo.

OK. Otherwise, are you two "dieting" together?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2010, 11:05:56 PM »

And then...

After wandering around the West Village and Washington Square Park for a bit - oh, and getting my hair cut too! - I met up with my friend, Eric, for dinner.  After wandering around a bit and pondering a couple of options, we decided to head up to Carmine's on the UWS. -Since it was Tuesday, the daily special was their amazing Rack of Lamb. Well, a Double Rack of Lamb with Roasted Vegetables. :)

As we were dining, a very familiar looking man walked in with a couple of friends who were also familiar-looking to me.  Hmmmm... After a while, I still couldn't think of his name, but I could think of the character's he's played: Charley Kringas, Ben, Ed Kleban... Lonny Price! And he was there celebrating his birthday with some of his close friends.  So...

On the way out, I stopped by his table... "I would hate myself if I didn't take this chance to wish Charley Kringas a Happy Birthday. So, Happy Birthday, Mr. Price."  He thanked me, asked me my name and shook my hand.

Needless to say, I was one very happy Musical Theatre Geek.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »

OH! And William Finn was also at Carmine's earlier tonight!  He stopped by Lonny Price's table to wish him a Happy Birthday too. ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:14:14 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »

OK. Otherwise, are you two "dieting" together?

Yes and no - all the dinners he prepares have my dietary needs in mind and he shops with me in mind as well.

We both do our own lunches.

My "problems" also come into play when eating out - where I used to pick lunch spots for good french fries, I now aim for spots with good salad choices.

My favorite lunch spot, our beloved Pickled Pig Pub lets me substitute sliced tomatoes for fries for a slight additional charge.

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2010, 11:22:53 PM »

Well, the car is at the shop and I'm at work.  Pray for an inexpensive Rosemary's Baby!

DR GEORGE - ~~~~~NON-STICKER SHOCK REPAIR BILL VIBES TO YOU AND YOUR CAR~~~~~

Thanks...but it's going to be at least $1,100.  I pretty much assumed around $1,000, but if it's going to be more than $2,000 (they still have to get and interpret the "code" from the computer in my car to find out why the "Service Engine Soon" light came on), it'll really hurt. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up